• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III: Reaper of Souls |OT2| Enchantress: Look! More hidden loot!

Status
Not open for further replies.

cdyhybrid

Gear wise, yeah, pretty much. You are in the early stages of gearing, so easy crafted sets are best until you get specific items.

Build wise you should really switch your rage rune to bloodshed. Outside of single target fights it nets you so much more damage than an extra 5% damage ever will.

Roger that. Thanks!

Act 1 bounties are so mind-numbingly boring. I can't take doing them too much more.

And I have no idea when this game will ever drop me a fire dmg amulet with crit. Probably never.

I'm trying to avoid them until the patch hits. Group bounties at higher torments seems like a lot more fun.

jkanownik

Anyone else have any input? Should I just throw on some Asheara's and Blackthorne's for bonuses until I get a drop that will really push me toward a specific build?

Target specific upgrades and let the drops guide you from there. All of your rares could easily be upgraded. If you have craft plans for any rare slot, work on those. If you don't have plans, then just run rifts and pray to Kadala. I would go pants --> gloves --> boots -->helm --> bracers --> belt. Even if you don't get legs Kadala could give you rare upgrades.

Your gems are also really low. You could pick up 840 strength by maxing those out.

Looking for feedback on my Barb.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/yimc808-1960/hero/46604203

I'm currently spending shards trying to get a Cinder Coat. I also have the mats for one piece of Aughild's to replace the chest once I get it (I was thinking bracer).

I'm pretty much broke and have very few Souls, have blown them all trying to roll the few things I've crafted into usability (burned 10+ souls on both of my current weapons).
I'd highly recommend crafting reaper's wraps bracers, the huge amounts of fury they give you make them BIS until you play a build that doesn't need to spend much fury (like quake build)

cindercoat is a good thing to go for from kadela but it's pretty rare (on average 5-10k bloodshards to find one perhaps?)

Items you want to look out for:
-earthen setpieces (these are your ticket to torment 4+)

-chilanik's chain (the best barb belt in the game imo, the runspeed buff is great in groups as well as when doing bounties and gives you a good excuse to put war cry on your bar)

-lut socks (these wombo combo with the earthen setbonus to give you the ability to spam 3x 4500 percent weapon damage as fire in a large aoe every 10 seconds)

And yes fire is the only build worth bothering with atm as far as I can tell, I had really good lightning gear (almost 9000str, 45 percent elite dmg, 90 percent lightning dmg 500 crit dmg 55 crit chance) and was stuck at t2-3 with it since the scaling is just poor

I haven't tried the default HOTA fire build but the quake fire build is good enough to be able to compete with WD/DH/wizards for damage output (though obviously not with full zuni or full haunt spec or wand of woh fire wizards/well geared vyr set arcane wizards)
source: a memory hook dps meter addon that a friend is using

as lightning I didn't do a third of the dmg I do with my quake build, wish they'd make lightning viable for higher torments:\

cdyhybrid

Target specific upgrades and let the drops guide you from there. All of your rares could easily be upgraded. If you have craft plans for any rare slot, work on those. If you don't have plans, then just run rifts and pray to Kadala. I would go pants --> gloves --> boots -->helm --> bracers --> belt. Even if you don't get legs Kadala could give you rare upgrades.

Your gems are also really low. You could pick up 840 strength by maxing those out.

Yep, I will be upgrading gems as I have the money and I'm not spending it on trying to reroll/craft stuff.

I'd highly recommend crafting reaper's wraps bracers, the huge amounts of fury they give you make them BIS until you play a build that doesn't need to spend much fury (like quake build)

cindercoat is a good thing to go for from kadela but it's pretty rare (on average 5-10k bloodshards to find one perhaps?)

Items you want to look out for:
-earthen setpieces (these are your ticket to torment 4+)

-chilanik's chain (the best barb belt in the game imo, the runspeed buff is great in groups as well as when doing bounties and gives you a good excuse to put war cry on your bar)

-lut socks (these wombo combo with the earthen setbonus to give you the ability to spam 3x 4500 percent weapon damage as fire in a large aoe every 10 seconds)

And yes fire is the only build worth bothering with atm as far as I can tell, I had really good lightning gear (almost 9000str, 45 percent elite dmg, 90 percent lightning dmg 500 crit dmg 55 crit chance) and was stuck at t2-3 with it since the scaling is just poor

I haven't tried the default HOTA fire build but the quake fire build is good enough to be able to compete with WD/DH/wizards for damage output (though obviously not with full zuni or full haunt spec or wand of woh fire wizards/well geared vyr set arcane wizards)
source: a memory hook dps meter addon that a friend is using

as lightning I didn't do a third of the dmg I do with my quake build, wish they'd make lightning viable for higher torments:\

Will do on the Reaper's Wraps. Wish there were a quicker way to get to Malthael without having to run through the whole dungeon.

Did some more bounties...

Found a pair of magefists with 8% crit. Made another DH in the group very happy.

I didn't get another RRoG but I got this amuelt...

Worth putting fire onto it? The proc from Vaxo is pretty sick....

BB6BiLN.png

Will do on the Reaper's Wraps. Wish there were a quicker way to get to Malthael without having to run through the whole dungeon.

i usually split run him
one person on story mode
one person on adventure mode

both run to boss, story mode guy gets a checkpoint right before the boss, allowing him to join adventure mode guy's game and kill the boss together, then story mode guy resumes his story mode game with checkpoint as host and adventure mode guy joins him and they kill the boss together a second time

It cuts the amount of running to the boss in half

I agree it's a pain in the ass to craft them... my lightning wraps rolled well but it took almost 10 tries, and 10+ tries on fire ones only gave me a crappy roll (15 percent fire, low str, low vit, 5.5 crit)

don't worry too much about souls btw, you get bucketloads of them running rifts, I've got 60 sitting in my stash and that is after just crafting/rolling an entire fire set in the past 2 days and gearing up some alts
after a while most people have 100-300 souls since the upgrades become few and far between

Your most valuable mats are in fact:
blue craft mats (from salvaging blues), you burn through thousands of them trying to make bracers for your chars

rare craft mats (from rares) (helmets, chests etc burn through tons, and you'll be making a lot of those for aughild sets)

gems , you burn through 9 of them for each and every reroll attempt on necklaces and rings... and necklaces especially can roll a wide variety of affixes and take many tries to roll
2 friends have completely ran out of gems of one color because they stopped picking them up after a while and wasted too many on crafting royal gems

Took me 35+ tries to roll my lightning necklace which amounts to 300+ purple gems just for that one item, currently at 10 failed tries (90 red gems) to get crit dmg on a moonlight ward for my wizard and I haven't even found a fire necklace for my barb yet

SimplyJah

Any wizards out there playing a cold dominant build that incorporates tal rasha 4 piece that they are liking and willing to share?

I have a really good azurewrath and + cold andy's helm (tal rasha chest/neck/belt/RRoG) but I can't seem to find a build I like. I'm intrigued by a ray of frost/blizzard build or possibly going back to frozen orb, but I've spent ~3k shards on orbs only to see 4 triumvirates and have no Light of Grace yet.

Kadala just gave me this, and I almost want to switch to cold. Also have a really nice Azurewrath (20% cold and main stat, eventual socket). Hmmmm. Big toughness loss though.

Operation: Farm Malthael has resulted in one Reaper's Fear so far...but no recipe.

If you have a fresh character (one who has never killed Malthael before), I'm fairly certain that that both drops are guaranteed.

cdyhybrid

Kadala just gave me this, and I almost want to switch to cold. Also have a really nice Azurewrath (20% cold and main stat, eventual socket). Hmmmm. Big toughness loss though.

If you have a fresh character (one who has never killed Malthael before), I'm fairly certain that that both drops are guaranteed.

I do...but he's on the third quest in Act 1 =|

Probably faster to just farm him on T1 with my T3-tier monk right?

Imagine in your head for a moment the perfect "Defensive Belt" ... you're thinking, "String of Ears with some sweet rolls."

Now, up until recently I didn't get the point of the belt but apparently it's the best option for higher torments. And then tonight... I looted this.

1ok6z6h.jpg

Yummy.

Unmoses

My Crusader is the luckiest character I've ever had in a loot game, I rarely get trash drops, and get duplicates of the best weapons. But like I said yesterday, my DH hasn't seen a leg weapon drop since the first day or so RoS came out, lol.

haha I hear ya.. you are describing my monk, except that he has weapons from other characters finds.. I have to remember the proverb "the loot will drop when it wants to be found" instead of dying inside every time I hear the sound and hope for something specific

Shifty76

Imagine in your head for a moment the perfect "Defensive Belt" ... you're thinking, "String of Ears with some sweet rolls."

Now, up until recently I didn't get the point of the belt but apparently it's the best option for higher torments. And then tonight... I looted this.

1ok6z6h.jpg

Yummy.

Considering that around 2/3 of ground effects are tagged as "melee" then yeah, String is very handy to have.

The Cowboy

Rolling fire onto an amulet...

19% poison
20% cold
20% cold
19% cold
16% lighting

12 flawless gems later, no fire. No gold...
Reminds me of when i was doing this.
God knows how many gems/souls i went through trying to get the CHD on it, i do plan on aiming for more (74% just isn't enough :D), but as i spent so much getting just that, I'm holding off for now.

This however.
1st attempt and got the CHD, again a bit low - but not bad for a 1st try.

ElyrionX

Any wizards out there playing a cold dominant build that incorporates tal rasha 4 piece that they are liking and willing to share?

I have a really good azurewrath and + cold andy's helm (tal rasha chest/neck/belt/RRoG) but I can't seem to find a build I like. I'm intrigued by a ray of frost/blizzard build or possibly going back to frozen orb, but I've spent ~3k shards on orbs only to see 4 triumvirates and have no Light of Grace yet.

Blizzard and RoF (even with LoG) both suck. They do far too little damage and have too little gearing synergies to be useful in higher Torment. Frozen Orb is fine but your best best is actually Glacial Spike with Mirrorball. That's what I run on my Tal Wiz.

Zaptruder

Banned
First thing is you could try and gamble or craft items to replace your yellow items. That will go a pretty long way to upping your overall damage.

Next, personally I'd toss that Sankis into your main hand, missing out on 5% crit chance you could have. I know it has overall less damage than the Fulm, but, Sankis is about the best fire weapon there is (for 1h) so I'd just get used to it if I were you. Next I'd trade avalanche for overpower (with the fire rune). The fire one deals 760% weapon damage on a 10 second cooldown. It synergizes well with frenzy and HoTA because the cooldown can be lowered each time you crit with any other attack. You can usually get a good 2 or 3 OPs in the time you do one avalanche. Not to mention it hits harder than HoTA.

Lastly I'd ditch call of the ancients for other options. When I was at your gear level I used WW because a) it works as an escape tool (allows you to move through enemies unhindered) and b) allowing you to move unhindered makes it an amazing positoning tool for both HoTA and OP, you can move through mobs or get in the center of them and go to town. Other alright options would be leap with the rune that pulls guys to you or ground stomp with the rune that pulls guys to you.

Extra lastly if you are going to keep Battle Rage you should switch to the Bloodshed rune. It makes it so your crits do 20% of the damage to every nearby target. Just think about that for a second when you HoTA a group of enemies and hit them for say 10 million each. It builds up fast. On that same note area damage is a godly stat for HoTA/OP, even though when I was your level I put my utility paragon points RCR (which I assume you might be) in retrospect I wish I would have put them into area damage. Having your massive HoTA/OP hits deal 50% of their damage to everyone nearby is fucking nuts for clearing groups of enemies.

For reference, this is the build I used until I finished the charge set. Solo I could do Torment 4 with it, but, T3 was what I would call "efficient." As in 10-15 minutes per rift. For long term goals, getting the charge set or the EQ set is a must. Sadly (like other classes) our fury generators are actually fucking trash at generating fury so you want to find a way to ditch them which both of those sets allow you to do.

Cheers man. This is a pretty amazing build... suddenly goes from meh to a shed load of fun.

RDreamer

Rolling fire onto an amulet...

19% poison
20% cold
20% cold
19% cold
16% lighting

12 flawless gems later, no fire. No gold...

I swear to god they have a system that knows what you want and won't fucking give it to you, especially for amulets and rings. I've been so royally fucked by rings it's unbelievable. Completely unbelievable. I'm flat broke from ring re-rolls.

Zaptruder

Banned
haha I hear ya.. you are describing my monk, except that he has weapons from other characters finds.. I have to remember the proverb "the loot will drop when it wants to be found" instead of dying inside every time I hear the sound and hope for something specific

Seriously this. Been looking for Cindercoat for a week and a half. Finally roll one off Kadala with 3 sockets.

10 minutes later, someone on my team asks if anyone needs this and drops a cindercoat with str on it for my barb.

Hahaha... this game. *THIS GAME*. My mirrorball giveaway karma returns to me. yay.

butts

Just had a double legendary quiver drop from a cursed chest elite spawn :O

Different quivers too, both upped my stats by near double digits in every category.

Discobird

The recipe is supposed to be a guaranteed drop the first time you kill him in story mode. Maybe try killing him in story mode on a character who hasn't killed him before (or reset quests if you don't have anyone like that).

cdyhybrid

I think a lot of us got it on first Malthael kill

The recipe is supposed to be a guaranteed drop the first time you kill him in story mode. Maybe try killing him in story mode on a character who hasn't killed him before (or reset quests if you don't have anyone like that).

It's suppose to be 100% drop on malthael kill. Odds are you already taught it the black smith.

I checked the blacksmith...nada. Closest character is on the third quest in Act 1 :/

Did a bunch of T4 rifts with a group of demon hunters.

The drops were teh same as T3, if not worse. And slower...

Don't see much reason to do T4 until they up the shard amount.

joesmokey

So I've finally gotten my t6 clear times down to sub-15 minutes and after 2 rifts only one forgotten soul... Not that I'm really complaining, just stating how broken the system is right now (which everyone I'm sure already knows).

When is this patch coming again? Probably a good time to take a break.

ElyrionX

A variation of the Vampire Bats/Fetish Scyophants build.
Active
Vamp Bats
Pirahnado
Spirit walk (Jaunt)
Soul Harvest
Gargantuan (Wrathful Protector)
Big Bad Voodoo (Slam Dance)

Passives
Fetish Sycophants
Grave Injustice
Gruesome Feast
Midnight Feast

Since I found enough Zunimassa Pieces to get the full set bonus I swapped out Soul harvest for Fetish Army for the time being. The Build works well with a Thing of the Deep Mojo if you have it.

Thanks. Was looking around the official forums and reading on this as well. I have decent gear but nothing WD-specific. Was running T3 yesterday and it didn't turn out too good. Going to give a shot again tonight with this build and see how that goes.

desverger

If there's something that aggravates me immensely, it's combination of a) most legendary weapon's NOT coming with a socket, b) the inability to roll a socket into a legendary weapon and c) the exponential cost of rerolling items.

Really, if a weapon doesn't have a socket it's practically useless and Blizzard should realize that, and give weapons a higher chance of rolling one. Not seeing a socket in 20 rerolls is just plain stupid.

I also wonder if you'll get a main stat roll 99% of the time on a weapon, if it doesn't appear on it?

If there's something that aggravates me immensely, it's combination of a) most legendary weapon's NOT coming with a socket, b) the inability to roll a socket into a legendary weapon and c) the exponential cost of rerolling items.

Really, if a weapon doesn't have a socket it's practically useless and Blizzard should realize that, and give weapons a higher chance of rolling one. Not seeing a socket in 20 rerolls is just plain stupid.

I also wonder if you'll get a main stat roll 99% of the time on a weapon, if it doesn't appear on it?

Had that issue trying to re-roll my kind of bad Exarian. Re-roll costs were well over 600k before I finally rolled a socket.

RDreamer

I still think they really didn't fix a lot of the itemization at all. They just inflated numbers, really. People are all still shooting for the same things on the same items. There really isn't a big variety of choices. A lot of slots are pretty useless without crit stuff on it for instance.

It'd just be nice if there were equal amounts cooldown type builds and attack speed builds and also the cc and cd builds we already see, etc for each element available. There should be an area damage build, too. All of those stats they put in there. I know there's a few of some of those, but it seems like they're few and far between and not nearly as viable as the scattered few upper level viable builds.

Not 99%, but really really easily. When rolling for a main stat I've yet to see it take longer than 3 rolls at most. The re-rolls are obviously weighted the same as the smart loot system.

ElyrionX

I still think they really didn't fix a lot of the itemization at all. They just inflated numbers, really. People are all still shooting for the same things on the same items. There really isn't a big variety of choices. A lot of slots are pretty useless without crit stuff on it for instance.

It'd just be nice if there were equal amounts cooldown type builds and attack speed builds and also the cc and cd builds we already see, etc for each element available. There should be an area damage build, too. All of those stats they put in there. I know there's a few of some of those, but it seems like they're few and far between and not nearly as viable as the scattered few upper level viable builds.

Not 99%, but really really easily. When rolling for a main stat I've yet to see it take longer than 3 rolls at most. The re-rolls are obviously weighted the same as the smart loot system.

I think the bigger issue is that item stats are far too homogenized; from the 4/2 system to the standard ranges for stat rolls on those items. Like a ring that can roll up to 100 CHD but have only three primary affixes would have been more interesting than the crapton of generic leg rings we already have.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom