• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III: Reaper of Souls |OT2| Enchantress: Look! More hidden loot!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Totakeke

Another reason you see alternate builds or gear setups rarely because there isn't many people testing or advocating them. Most people just want to stick to the safe and proven builds, it's much easier that way.

It might be my own perception, but just see how much has crafted sets has come since RoS launch. Now everyone wants them while at the beginning there was far less talk of them. Also for Crusaders look at Blessed Shield builds. Now it's all the rage but before people didn't think much about it even after it was buffed up.

desverger

I still think they really didn't fix a lot of the itemization at all. They just inflated numbers, really. People are all still shooting for the same things on the same items. There really isn't a big variety of choices. A lot of slots are pretty useless without crit stuff on it for instance.

It'd just be nice if there were equal amounts cooldown type builds and attack speed builds and also the cc and cd builds we already see, etc for each element available. There should be an area damage build, too. All of those stats they put in there. I know there's a few of some of those, but it seems like they're few and far between and not nearly as viable as the scattered few upper level viable builds.

Agreed, only a few legendary items can even break the item budget in a big way and most of them just have a bigger budget to draw the same numbers from.

The two things that work with the current itemization is the fact that my DH is not seeing int weapons drop anymore, and there are some rare items that enable certain, specific game changing builds.. But ultimately I'm still looking for the same things in my items, for example an amulet that doesn't have CHD is just bad, because no other stat can be as good in that slot.

Currently my crusader has a cc/chd/cdr build which is working rather nicely and my DH has a cc/chd/aspd pet build which also works well, but apart from those two I don't really see a lot of viable options to build one's character. It makes things simpler but also quite limiting.

scy

this is what an entire days worth of shit loot being offered to RNGesus looks like.

RIP Pile of Loot:
YawYitB.jpg

Our sacrifice didn't get us any sweet loot though :(

Another reason you see alternate builds or gear setups rarely because there isn't many people testing or advocating them. Most people just want to stick to the safe and proven builds, it's much easier that way.

It might be my own perception, but just see how much has crafted sets has come since RoS launch. Now everyone wants them while at the beginning there was far less talk of them. Also for Crusaders look at Blessed Shield builds. Now it's all the rage but before people didn't think much about it even after it was buffed up.

A lot of the lack of Blessed Shield talk right after the change is due to it one-shotting people using it and then the lack of the tooltip being updated. For the longest time after the change, I just thought the buff was pulled as a temporary fix to it killing people. Without that change, it wasn't really all that great of an option.

Totakeke

A lot of the lack of Blessed Shield talk right after the change is due to it one-shotting people using it and then the lack of the tooltip being updated. For the longest time after the change, I just thought the buff was pulled as a temporary fix to it killing people. Without that change, it wasn't really all that great of an option.

Huh, which change are you referring to? People certainly did read patch notes (including the datamined ones) and remarked on the large increase of damage in blessed shield.

I'd say things like tooltips being wrong or not clear enough are one of the primary reasons people don't venture into different build or gear setups.

dengatron

How many people have found a legendary potion? So far only 2 people in my clan have found them, and a lot of us play quite a bit.

they're not horribly rare, but i know a few people that have played a ton so far this expansion and still don't have one. the rest of us, however, have 8, and are part of the kulle-aid master race.

How many people have found a legendary potion? So far only 2 people in my clan have found them, and a lot of us play quite a bit.

I found "Bottomless Potion of the Diamond", which gives +60 all resist for 5 seconds. That's the only one I've ever gotten.

I've never gotten any of the follower's legendary items, though.

Dark_castle

I just realized one thing about D3.

It is quite possible to have played 500 hours or 1000 hours or 3000 hours and not acquring a Wand of Woh, simply because of weighted RNG, BoA, and Kadala mixing all 1H weapons together.

It is quite possible to have played 500 hours or 1000 hours or 3000 hours and not acquring a Wand of Woh, simply because of weighted RNG, BoA, and Kadala mixing all 1H weapons together.

Yeah. No good reason to bang your head against a wall. I think I'm gonna keep it to maybe 10 rifts a day tops. I find myself becoming deeply cynical if I play for too long lol

ameleco

Ugh the grind for new gear is becoming unbearable. I'll spend an hour or two a day and accomplish literally nothing. At this point its just becoming boring. It's not that I don't get legendaries because I do. The problem is that they're the wrong legendaries. I just need very specific set pieces and legendaries and they just will not drop. In addition, Kadala is useless as ever. I mean, am I expecting this to happen too fast? What should the grind be? 10 hours per new piece? 20 hours? 100 hours? Either way, I think I am burnt out on this now. Hopefully in the next patch, they make it easier to get the gear you want because as it stands now, I just can't do it anymore.

Dark_castle

Doesn't affect the chances because legendaries from Kadala are controlled by smart loot.

Doesn't weighted RNG actually gives you more chances to get the wand?

But yes, you may never get the single item you want.

I know, but since Wizard can use swords, maces, axes, wands, daggers and spears, and factor in the cost of blood shards and the drop rate, then consider the variety of wands, yeah, incredibly low.

Weighted roll works such that crap legs have (much) higher drop chance than higher tier ones. Like, Blackthorne sets vs class set for example. So, no.

ElyrionX

For what it's worth, it's not that great of a weapon especially if you don't like facetanking. I rather be kiting and shooting from afar as a Wizard.

Totakeke

I know, but since Wizard can use swords, maces, axes, wands, daggers and spears, and factor in the cost of blood shards and the drop rate, then consider the variety of wands, yeah, incredibly low.

Weighted roll works such that crap legs have (much) higher drop chance than higher tier ones. Like, Blackthorne sets vs class set for example. So, no.

I've actually had more class set items than Blackthorne's. While Blizzard does acknowledge some legendaries as being rarer, you can't say with certainty that wand of woh is one of those rarer legendaries can you?

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
For what it's worth, it's not that great of a weapon especially if you don't like facetanking. I rather be kiting and shooting from afar as a Wizard.

You don't have to be tanky though. It's best when paired with CDR and Frost Nova (which you can have more than 100% uptime on). Frozen enemies can't attack.

Someone in my clan found one w/ 2300+ dps, socket, 700+ int ... and brimmed it because he doesn't like explosive blast. I wasn't too happy about it. I've been looking for one since the game came out. Another reason why this game needs trade badly. Good items going to waste.

Ugh the grind for new gear is becoming unbearable. I'll spend an hour or two a day and accomplish literally nothing. At this point its just becoming boring. It's not that I don't get legendaries because I do. The problem is that they're the wrong legendaries. I just need very specific set pieces and legendaries and they just will not drop. In addition, Kadala is useless as ever. I mean, am I expecting this to happen too fast? What should the grind be? 10 hours per new piece? 20 hours? 100 hours? Either way, I think I am burnt out on this now. Hopefully in the next patch, they make it easier to get the gear you want because as it stands now, I just can't do it anymore.

it all depends what side of the bell curve you end up on

I'm at almost 900 rifts now (speedrunning t2-3 and now t4 for 3-5 hours a day adds up really fast) and have never seen a wand of woh drop for anyone I run with (and I always run with at least one wizard)
I saw one shard of hate (on a guy with paragon level 30 ish, I told him he should appreciate his luck and he shrugged it off)
1 cindercoat in rifts which dropped for my wiz friend (kadela really is your best bet here)
1 iceclimbers
0 witching hour

did see a whole bunch of thunderfuries though (at least 10) but TF isn't nearly as rare as Wand or shard, it's more magefist/cindercoat rarity

and as for set pieces (not mentioning crap like invoker, raekor or blackthorn or the crappy DH set) my reward after this many rifts has been 4 pieces of marauder, 2 IK, 4 earthen set (all within a span of 4 days) , 2 Thunderfuries, 3 tal rasha (one given to me by a friend not even my own drop) , 1 firebird , 1 akkhan and 1 zuni (the ring)

You really just need to be lucky, for 2 weeks I was finding one upgrade every 4-5 days (despite still needing a whole bunch of specific items) and in the past 4 days I've found tons of good items

It can be really shitty if you need a specific item to make your build work (cindercoat, Woh, one more zuni piece, one more earthen piece , mask of jeram, one marauder for pet build,, the blessed shield shield, mirrorball, one tal or vyr piece or w/e) since you are just as likely to not see it drop in the next 300 rifts as the next guy is to find it in the next ten rifts

Dark_castle

I've actually had more class set items than Blackthorne's. While Blizzard does acknowledge some legendaries as being rarer, you can't say with certainty that wand of woh is one of those rarer legendaries can you?

Good for you, but realize that you're in the minority. It's already a meme that whenever you see a green beam, it's Blackthorne. That's how common they drop compared to class set. It's common sense really. WoW is top end weapon, naturally they belong to deepest depth of the loot table. I have seen posts after posts where people have an inventory of rare legs like TF, Ice Climbers, WH, yet not a single WoW. On a sidenote, Wand leg itself is rare, compared to sword, axe, mace and dagger among the 1H weapons, from my observation.

This patch with all the planned changes can't come soon enough. Normal split bounties are so boring. They are also frustrating with Crusader because Blizzard had the brilliant idea of nerfing its one mobility skill a few hotfixes ago. Maybe I should try to get another Daneta for my DH just to use her for speed bounties.

Totakeke

Good for you, but realize that you're in the minority. It's already a meme that whenever you see a green beam, it's Blackthorne. That's how common they drop compared to class set. It's common sense really. WoW is top end weapon, naturally they belong to deepest depth of the loot table. I have seen posts after posts where people have an inventory of rare legs like TF, Ice Climbers, WH, yet not a single WoW. On a sidenote, Wand leg itself is rare, compared to sword, axe, mace and dagger among the 1H weapons, from my observation.

I think we've all seen how common sense works with RNG.

desverger

I think we've all seen how common sense works with RNG.

It's true, they don't mix very well :p

With that said though, a computer operated "Random" number generator is never a true random number generator, because a computer operated RNG always needs a seed to produce results from - and there is room for error in these kinds of systems.

If no attempt is made to balance the output, a certain seed might *never* produce a certain number. When we are operating with probabilities that are well below one in a thousand, or one in a million, these concerns suddenly can become real :p

As an example, let's say we are rolling random numbers and there is a one in a million chance for a result we want. If we have a bad seed, the error marginal might just be large enough for this to never happen in a computer operated system.

If we're talking completely batshit crazy here, and we factor in that certain people report getting the same legendaries at the same time intervals, I might just be crazy enough to propose that Blizz is using the server time as a random number seed for certain things, and if you get a legendary at the exact same time as someone else, it just might be the same one!

Not saying there's a conspiracy or you shouldn't trust the game.. but just saying the possibility of it being slightly flawed exists :p

edit: /tin foil hat on

Tried to get a socket on a Danetta's Spite that Angelus gave me. Wasted 5m and didn't get shit then in a fit of rage I uninstalled the game.

Maybe I'll be back in a month or so.

Totakeke

It's true, they don't mix very well :p

With that said though, a computer operated "Random" number generator is never a true random number generator, because a computer operated RNG always needs a seed to produce results from - and there is room for error in these kinds of systems.

If no attempt is made to balance the output, a certain seed might *never* produce a certain number. When we are operating with probabilities that are well below one in a thousand, or one in a million, these concerns suddenly can become real :p

As an example, let's say we are rolling random numbers and there is a one in a million chance for a result we want. If we have a bad seed, the error marginal might just be large enough for this to never happen in a computer operated system.

If we're talking completely batshit crazy here, and we factor in that certain people report getting the same legendaries at the same time intervals, I might just be crazy enough to propose that Blizz is using the server time as a random number seed for certain things, and if you get a legendary at the exact same time as someone else, it just might be the same one!

Not saying there's a conspiracy or you shouldn't trust the game.. but just saying the possibility of it being slightly flawed exists :p

edit: /tin foil hat on

And that causes wand of woh to be rarer? Come on now.

RDreamer

Gotta be kidding me... game just glitches so I couldn't click anything... right during the rift guardian. So all my shit's laying on the ground and I can't get any or town portal or anything. Leave the game and someone was going to reinvite me, but someone else popped in.

I got one last night, took roughly 1500 shards. Used a Monk everytime.

I also gambled, on my wiz....right before the crash on wed night....got one with about 300 shards.

Lies, all Lies.

I've used my monk every time, too. Thousands and thousands of shards.

RDreamer

lol wut? I got 3 from kadala...one on my barb and 2 on my monk. I put one on my dh.

The amount of shards I've put into chest armors is fucking breathtaking. I feel like 90% of everything I've gambled since getting ROS has been that. I don't even get legs anymore. The past 2000 has been nothing but shit rares.

The Cowboy

It's weird, Addicted to Bass 2013 and Diablo 3 Rifts go so well together - having a great time with the sound of evil Diablo spawns dying and the music blasting out loud (I'm sure my neighbours are wondering "WTF is happening next door?" :D).

Lies, all Lies.

I've used my monk every time, too. Thousands and thousands of shards.

7000+ for me. Spent maybe 3000 or so on my DH before switching to monk.

For some of the rare items, be prepared to spend anywhere from 10,000 - 20,000 shards.

Even worse if you're shooting for a very rare weapon.... *cough* calamity *cough*

Celegus

I don't even want to think how much time I wasted trying to get the two bounty enemies for a Wooden Stake to appear last night... this game... the weapon is probably crap anyway.

ferr

Did 20 or so Act 3 bounties last night, still no Pride's Fall. Only act 3 leg to not drop yet. argh and stuff.

huxley00

I'm really hitting a wall, I find myself actively hating the game at some points, which is a new feeling. Almost every leg drop, I don't really even get any hopes up at all, just quick identify, scan and trash. I'll still play some I think, just in the morning before work or other short bursts. I'm definitely done w/ the half day play sessions though, just too much RNG and too hard to get the few things I still actually want.

RDreamer

That's really the annoying thing about it being so random. I could play a thousand hours straight and technically it still might not drop for me. Someone else could get it on their first rift. And the thing that sucks about all this bind on account mumbo jumbo is that I can't even save or trade for it too if I get some other super rare item that I personally have no use for.

I gambled two of those, and salvaged them all. Have no use for it.

D:

You monster.

So I've finally gotten my t6 clear times down to sub-15 minutes and after 2 rifts only one forgotten soul... Not that I'm really complaining, just stating how broken the system is right now (which everyone I'm sure already knows).

Can you link me your profile? A friend of mine just switched to a fire wizard. I'd like to show him what to build towards to take on T6.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom