• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III: Ultimate Evil Edition |OT| Loot has never looked this good before!

hydruxo

Did my 1st rift with a level 67 crusader but it took way longer than it should have. I'm guessing I don't have good enough gear yet? Should I just keep doing bounties and spending blood shards and not bother with rifts for the time being?

SnakeEyes

Banned
Can anyone tell me, I remember back when diablo 3 went to ps3 we got playstation items such as god of war items but when I got it for ps4 it didn't have them. Is this something they didn't add in?
The PS versions of D3: RoS got Shadow of the Colossus armour designs for Transmogrification, as well as a Rift Dungeon with the Cordyceps enemies from The Last of Us.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Okay, I played D3 on my Vita today for over 5 hours (GF won't allow me to play on the TV). I did many T2 and T3 runs without any problem, and I even got used to using the back to use the R2 attack. It really is amazing to be able to play on the Vita.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
So... The Demon Hunter is boring as hell. 80% of my playtime with it has involved standing in place and shooting a volley of arrows. Does the character eventually get more interesting in your opinion? I think playing a ranged class might not be for me. I want to be more active and mobile.

Blech, I'm growing so tired of becoming encumbered.
You gotta go to town more often. I haven't been encumbered once across my level 64 and 14 characters.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
So... The Demon Hunter is boring as hell. 80% of my playtime with it has involved standing in place and shooting a volley of arrows. Does the character eventually get more interesting in your opinion? I think playing a ranged class might not be for me. I want to be more active and mobile.

This is exactly why I am almost always a melee character in the Diablo games.

antitrop

Level 25. Shit gets real.

By the time you're doing Torment level Rifts, the finger gymnastics on the controller required to execute all the skills is like that of a character action game, such as Bayonetta.

It's pure bliss.

Bodom78

Man if your reacting this way at level 16. Your mind is gonna be blown away when you reach 70. Glad you like it :)

Ha, it's what I keep hearing. I'm pretty slow as I don't have much game time but I'm really looking forward to it.

This game is quite refreshing and a nice change of pace to what I'm usually accustomed to playing.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
This is exactly why I am almost always a melee character in the Diablo games.
Yeah, I think I might have to do the same thing. What's your favorite class in Diablo 3? My first character was a Monk and he was bad ass and really fun.

Level 25. Shit gets real.

By the time you're doing Torment level Rifts, the finger gymnastics on the controller required to execute all the skills is like that of a character action game, such as Bayonetta.

It's pure bliss.
Cool, I'll stick with her that far, at least.

You gotta go to town more often. I haven't been encumbered once across my level 64 and 14 characters.

Someone here has a melee-oriented DH. I don't know how that works since I haven't leveled my DH past 23 yet, but apparently it's a viable option end-game.

Adventure mode is a blast. I'm enjoying the way more than the vanilla release. I also played my first game with someone, Puell I believe, nice guy.

Adventure Mode is one of the greatest improvements on a game I've ever seen. Running through the campaign was so tedious.

I can't wait to get to adventure mode. I hit 57 today and finally act V which is the first level that is new to me. I am really enjoying it right now.

Shinta

Banned
How do I use these items?

Devotion Spine (Rare Scoundrel Token)
Follower's Apex (Rare Templar Relic)
Historic Trinket (Rare Enchantress Focus)
Dice of the Hawk (Magic Scoundrel Token)

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action

25, things will be intense. vaulting around, dropping sentries, slowing/kiting enemies and marking them for added damage... very mobile and rad

hydruxo

Depending on which follower you have with you, just press the touchpad and go to your inventory then go to the right over to "Follower" and equip it.

CRA5H

Did a marathon today and the one thing that stuck out was that the targeting is awful at times. It would sometimes target a random enemy way further than the mob right in front of me causing me to wait for the cool down on my skill. Using L2 helps but I can't figure out how to switch between targets.

Equip them on your follower. They have a special follower specific slot for them.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member

You gotta give them to your AI companions, the Scoundrel, Enchantress, and Templar. If you're into Act II (or III?) you've probably met them all by now. You can find them in town, but only when you're playing solo. They disappear in co-op.

Did I miss the part where the game explains that you can equip stuff for your follower? In Act 3 now and my follower has been using a 7.0 dmg dagger -_-

ZenaxPure

Depends really what you are looking for. Most demon hunter attacks are fairly stand alone and don't synergize with their other abilities (compared to other classes), instead they are focused more around trying to stay alive and just dump lots of damage. It's why they have a lot of surviability skills like vault, smoke screen, and shadow power. If you like the idea of focusing in on one specific attack and then using your other skills as a means to navigate the map and stay alive then it does eventually become fun, but, I've personally never been a fan of that play style.

Also something to keep in mind is that if you do try to go for Torment 6 on a demon hunter the actual playstyle right now, and this is not any sort of joke, involves just putting down sentries and running around in a circle simply trying to stay alive while barely ever actually attacking yourself. Things will be a little better in 2.1, but, for the time being that is the demon hunter life.

BigDug13

Has the wizard gotten better in recent times? I haven't played since 2 months or so...ish...of vanilla launching.

Everyone is pretty much completely different than they were from back in those times, and no class is without plenty of viability and without the severe balance issues that the launch classes had.

Shinta

Banned
Haven't tried the other classes, but Monk is just fucking unstoppable. First time I've even played a Diablo, and I feel like I can't even die. I'm playing on Hard, and it won't let me push it to Expert yet.

Just dash into enemies with Dashing Strike, spam Mantra of Evasion and Lashing Tail Kick if surrounded. Heal yourself and get invincibility with Serenity, or just instantly crush almost any boss with Seven Sided Strike. And there are multiple other styles I could go for if I didn't want to emphasize evasion and movement speed.

I'm almost done with Act II, and I think I've only used 3 health potions the entire game so far.

Afrodium

Banned
So I'm in Act 2 with a level 37 crusader and I'm really really enjoying it so far. Beyond playing about an hour of Torchlight, this is my first loot-oriented action RPG. That said, can anyone explain to me what exactly the end game of this is? I just want to know what I'm getting myself into. I just ask because from what I've heard/seen it seems kind of... pointless.

I remember chatting with a coworker when vanilla Diablo 3 first released. He was talking to me about how he was currently grinding a dungeon to get some rare drop, with that drop he'd be able to go into another dungeon, which he would then farm for yet another rare drop, and it all seemed like such a waste of time to me. It's just farming so that you can do more farming.

Don't get me wrong, I know that all video games are fundamentally pointless. 100%ing an Assassin's Creed game is no more worthy a usage of time than grinding in Diablo, but there's something about the gameplay loop of this games that seems so futile. It never ends! People spend 500 hours killing monsters on the hopes that they'll drop some weapons/armor with big numbers on it so that can go on to fight harder monsters (that aren't really visibly harder because you've equipped yourself with the appropriate gear) on the hopes that they will drop weapons/armor with big numbers so that you can go on to fight harder monsters etc. etc. It's like slot machine mentality where you click/mash x until you see the loot explode out of monsters or chests with green arrows and big numbers, and the payouts come frequently enough that you never get bored.

Again, I'm really enjoying the game so far, and I could be completely wrong about everything I've just said (and I hope I am) but I just want to know what I'm about to get addicted to before I'm spending every waking hour making sure my Diablo avatar has sweet gear.

Draper

I've just been sorta impatient. I don't care to invest the time selling/storing stuff.

shinn623

Wow! I cant believe this actually dropped for me. Stats rolled are above average but, they are still good though. Too bad it doesn't have place in my build til patch 2.1 hits >_<. The hunt continues for the marauder set. Only 4 more pieces to go.

Nice. Using a Dawn here with similar stats with the same gem socketed in it. GL with the marauder set. I got 3 so far (boots, pants, and gloves). The pants I got with blood shards, and the gloves I got from a gift. Also got 2 of the shadow set. Planning to mix and match both sets so that I get benefits from both. What build are you running with?

ZenaxPure

People spend 500 hours killing monsters on the hopes that they'll drop some weapons/armor with big numbers on it so that can go on to fight harder monsters (that aren't really visibly harder because you've equipped yourself with the appropriate gear) on the hopes that they will drop weapons/armor with big numbers so that you can go on to fight harder monsters etc. etc. It's like slot machine mentality where you click/mash x until you see the loot explode out of monsters or chests with green arrows and big numbers, and the payouts come frequently enough that you never get bored..

I understand the mentality (it was something that confused me as well, never used to like loot games and I still don't like a lot of them) but in most of these games this is not actually the case. The "endgame" here is working up the 6 Torment difficulties when you are max level, but, the thing is once you are at max level that is the end for the green arrows pointing up and stuff. Each new Torment difficulty is about 75% harder than the previous one but it's not like you are getting gear with higher stats or anything. The gear you are using on the lowest endgame difficulty is the same gear you will be using on the highest (stat-wise). So actually the monsters do get harder and the gear doesn't actually match them because you are at max level and the stats are always going to be the same.

Basically what that means is instead of just constantly getting new loot and having a "slot machine" loop you are actually trying to make specific builds with your skills and then finding very specific items that support them and make them viable to reach the highest difficulty. It's basically a huge game of customization, every single active skill slot, passive skill slot, and equipment slot is something you have to think about if you want to go up in difficulty. That's pretty much the draw of the endgame, trying to customize the perfect character with very specific gear.

Kamina

Golden Boy
Well I am playing Demon Hunter. I can't speak to Crusader powers because I haven't played one but DH endgame builds i have seen all seem to be very hit and run. Slow, crit and leg it. Repeat.
Oh, Sorry. For some reason i thought you had a crusader.
Yeah, DH is all critical damage and evasion. You can also do area damage to control the battlefield. Stunning can help aswell.

Everyone is pretty much completely different than they were from back in those times, and no class is without plenty of viability and without the severe balance issues that the launch classes had.
bahhhhh I really got to jump back in then. If I played hundreds of hours of the broken shit that was vanilla I'm afraid of what might happen here.

Dahbomb

T6 only becomes viable for classes because certain combination of skills and items make for legitimately broken mechanics/builds (but that's intended actually).

An example is Barbarian. If you were to make a build using high rolled standard Legendaries you would not do well in T6. You can have Witching Hour Belt, perfect 1 hand dual wield, immunity Amulet etc... you won't be efficient.

However you collect 4 pieces of Earthquake set (3 if you have RoRG) which makes your Leap use the Earthquake move... it makes your damage shoot up insanely high. We are about talking about a 4000% damage nuke every 6 or so seconds which is substantial. BUT to push it forward you add another item called Lut Socks that allows you to leap 3 times. Suddenly you get to put out 3 Earthquakes in quick succession for insane damage that cannot be matched by other Legendary combinations.

That's what end game is like in this game for every class. You generally have to come up with insane item synergies that involves sets (sometimes multiple) to push yourself to that T6/end game level. Simply relying on using Generators + Spender cycle is not enough in this game.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
So, I'm thinking of making my third character a Barbarian. Do you think I'll like it if I enjoyed the Monk more than Demon Hunter?

That's what end game is like in this game for every class. You generally have to come up with insane item synergies that involves sets (sometimes multiple) to push yourself to that T6/end game level. Simply relying on using Generators + Spender cycle is not enough in this game.

Very informative. Is there a site or something that has a list of good builds for T6?

antitrop

So, I'm thinking of making my third character a Barbarian. Do you think I'll like it if I enjoyed the Monk more than Demon Hunter?

Yes. I played a Barb in Diablo II.

Da Barb

tumblr_llaj7qn84T1qclvq3.gif

ux8g7gI.jpg

U4UXhK7.jpg

conan-sword-swing-o.gif

ZenaxPure

Barb and monk are more similar than monk and demon hunter for sure. Barbarians have more actual attacks than monk, but less support skills. Personally the two are my favorite classes in the game outside of Torment 6 endgame stuff.

Liberty4all

Banned
Did I miss the part where the game explains that you can equip stuff for your follower? In Act 3 now and my follower has been using a 7.0 dmg dagger -_-

Haha me too. Well I figured it out when the scoundrel showed up. Wish id known earlier, I actually died a few times in the previous dungeon as my tank had a stupidly low dmg junk sword equipped lol

ZenaxPure

Very informative. Is there a site or something that has a list of good builds for T6?

I find each of the class subreddits to be informative (just google barbarian reddit, monk reddit, etc.), but, honestly things are going to get kind of weird here soon. When the patch comes to PC, most likely this tuesday, there is going to be a lot of differences in the 2 versions until the console versions catch up. Basically all of the places where you would go to find information about builds and stuff won't really apply to the console versions for the time being.

I'm not really sure if there is a console specific site for that kind of info, but for now it should work fine.

Korosenai

Frogs rain from the sky
Death upon our enemies
Where’s your umbrella?

But seriously, i'm so glad I switched form the Crusader to the Witch Doctor. It's just so good.

Top Bottom