• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III: Ultimate Evil Edition |OT| Loot has never looked this good before!

Incarmine

Banned
So, I'm thinking of making my third character a Barbarian. Do you think I'll like it if I enjoyed the Monk more than Demon Hunter?

Barb and Monk are both melee classes, but the two have different endgame playstyles.

The ps4 version is my first return to D3 since vanilla many, many months ago, but if Monk and Barb are still similar to how they were, then the difference is basically this:

Barb is more tanky and is more about soaking up the damage and dealing out as much of it as you can until you have to disengage and recover. They can stack a ton of armor and damage resistance.

Monk isn't as tanky, but they have numerous active defense skills. They have heals on command, heal on spirit use, serenity, area blind, etc. Surviving as a monk is about using these defensive skills to negate as much damage from enemies as you can.

Both have plenty of disengages. Barb is better for single-target DPS, while Monk has (from my memory) better AoE damage.

Once you complete the story stuff, what does the priority list look like? Level to 70 in adventure mode > blood/rift shard farm > spend shards?

Dahbomb

Very informative. Is there a site or something that has a list of good builds for T6?
Reddit has some D3 builds so does Diablo Fans. You can also find some builds in the main forum of D3 in the character sub forums.

And like mentioned, top builds are going to be changed dramatically with the upcoming 2.1 patch on PC. People will be focused on that and what will work there may not work in the current version. Legendary Gems are coming which will be build changers.

The basic primer on T6 builds is the following:

Crusaders: Finish Akhan set, then get Fate of Fell for the Shotgun Fires of Heaven build or get the Darklight flail for the Firelight Fist of Heaven build. Shotgun build stacks Holy damage, Firelight stacks Fire damage.

Barbarian: Earth Quake set + Lut Socks to make the Leapquake build. Stack fire damage. Raekor build isn't as powerful yet but in 2.1 with Vile Ward buff it will be very strong.

Witch Doctor: Pet build with Mask of Jeram, Tall Man Finger, Zuni set and Tasker and Theo gloves. Jade Harvestor set build with Quetzocoatal mask for the Jade build.

Demon Hunter: Marauder Fire build. In 2.1 DHs are more able to use other elements with Marauder (Cold, Physical, Fire, Lightning). Currently DHs can use Physical Marauder build or Fire build with Fire being the superior one. You can use Tasker and Theo or Magefists in conjunction with Marauder and Bombardier Rucksack quiver.

Monk: Raiment 6 piece set bonus with Jawbreaker fist weapon allowing you to dish out a ton of burst damage effectively. The other option is the zero DPS Exploding Palm Cyclone Strike support Monk. It is the most unique build in the game simply because of the mechanics involved and the items required are generally considered trash for just about every other situation (as they are all tanky items as compared to DPS items). There are a few ways to make the zDPS support Monk... you need Fist of Aztarraq, Diamonds in weapons, Rimeheart + Frostburn if you have it, a bunch of cooldown on gear (for Epiphany, Inner Sanctuary and Blind up time), Halcyon's Ascent amulet, lots of defensive affixes on gear, Physical damage affix, Illusionary Boots, Strongarm Bracers etc. I use a different variation of this build where I have Aughilds + Blackthorne 4 piece that gives immunity to a bunch of affixes + Asheara 3 piece + Arcane Immunity Amulet and gear that stacks one specific element with Exploding Palm Strong Spirit to fuel my Spirit needs.

Wizards: I don't see many Wizards in T6 these days. Almost all Wizards run some type of Fire Conflagration build with Mirrorball. Some use Tal Rasha's set, some use Vyrs + Fire build, some use Hyrda + Familiar pet based build with Serpent Sparker and Tasker + Theo. Firebird set is garbage currently but in 2.1 is extremely good and gives rise to quite a few fire builds. Another build of Wizard revolves around Wand of Woh and Exploding Blast but that item is extremely rare so it's hard to make builds around that item as it's so hard to get.

Korosenai

I'll try WD after getting my Crusader and DH to level 70. Am I in for a treat?

If having 4 zombie dogs, a giant zombie, multiple mini minions with daggers, frogs raining from the sky, and a piranha tornado all at the same time sounds interesting to you... then yes, you are in for a treat.

Aces&Eights

OK, so I am running Crusader and pretty much just keeping the best gear and salvaging the rest. Some say it's the best way because you need the items for enchanting and whatnot. Others say keep lower level stuff if is legendary. But, some of the lower level legendary just sucks. With enchanting, you can only change one attribute, anyway. So, now I am trying to figure out, what gear should I keep? All my runes and powers are unlocked, I am a level 69 and am outside deaths fight. Oce I beat him its over and I am on to adventure mode and bounties, etc.

So, I need some advice, GAF. I am only ever going to run my Crusader. No other builds. What gear should I be keeping an eye out for? Where can I get it? Is grinding on high difficulties going to get me anything good or is it just from torment level adventures and bounties and nemesis?

EDIT: So, I am basically panicking that I might have salvaged gear I should have kept but it was all a lot less than what I have now. Using enchanting, I am actually (I think) pretty badass. I am doing 1300 damage base with my weapon and have like 350 armor, 450 holy damage, and 1200 life per hit on weapon alone and am using high end ruby stone. Shield does like 14k blocking and has similar stats. I feel like my guy is a hodgepodge of stuff but overall I am not dying a lot at all and am playing Story Mode on Expert with one friend who is wizard. What do I do? Are there full sets I should use, like all the same type of armor? Where do I get it? What is the best weapon?? I had a flail but my sword just dominates it in stats. 1.3 hits per second, too!

Reddit has some D3 builds so does Diablo Fans. You can also find some builds in the main forum of D3 in the character sub forums.

And like mentioned, top builds are going to be changed dramatically with the upcoming 2.1 patch on PC. People will be focused on that and what will work there may not work in the current version. Legendary Gems are coming which will be build changers.

The basic primer on T6 builds is the following:

Crusaders: Finish Akhan set, then get Fate of Fell for the Shotgun Fires of Heaven build or get the Darklight flail for the Firelight Fist of Heaven build. Shotgun build stacks Holy damage, Firelight stacks Fire damage.

Barbarian: Earth Quake set + Lut Socks to make the Leapquake build. Stack fire damage. Raekor build isn't as powerful yet but in 2.1 with Vile Ward buff it will be very strong.

Witch Doctor: Pet build with Mask of Jeram, Tall Man Finger, Zuni set and Tasker and Theo gloves. Jade Harvestor set build with Quetzocoatal mask for the Jade build.

Demon Hunter: Marauder Fire build. In 2.1 DHs are more able to use other elements with Marauder (Cold, Physical, Fire, Lightning). Currently DHs can use Physical Marauder build or Fire build with Fire being the superior one. You can use Tasker and Theo or Magefists in conjunction with Marauder and Bombardier Rucksack quiver.

Monk: Raiment 6 piece set bonus with Jawbreaker fist weapon allowing you to dish out a ton of burst damage effectively. The other option is the zero DPS Exploding Palm Cyclone Strike support Monk. It is the most unique build in the game simply because of the mechanics involved and the items required are generally considered trash for just about every other situation (as they are all tanky items as compared to DPS items). There are a few ways to make the zDPS support Monk... you need Fist of Aztarraq, Diamonds in weapons, Rimeheart + Frostburn if you have it, a bunch of cooldown on gear (for Epiphany, Inner Sanctuary and Blind up time), Halcyon's Ascent amulet, lots of defensive affixes on gear, Physical damage affix, Illusionary Boots etc. I use a different variation of this build where I have Aughilds + Blackthorne 4 piece that gives immunity to a bunch of affixes + Asheara 3 piece + Arcane Immunity Amulet and gear that stacks one specific element with Exploding Palm Strong Spirit to fuel my Spirit needs.

Wizards: I don't see many Wizards in T6 these days. Almost all Wizards run some type of Fire Conflagration build with Mirrorball. Some use Tal Rasha's set, some use Vyrs + Fire build, some use Hyrda + Familiar pet based build. Firebird set is garbage currently but in 2.1 is extremely good and gives rise to quite a few fire builds. Another build of Wizard revolves around Wand of Woh and Exploding Blast but that item is extremely rare so it's hard to make builds around that item as it's so hard to get.

Is there any place that shows how to get these? or are they just random?

Jagxyz

Frogs rain from the sky
Death upon our enemies
Where’s your umbrella?

But seriously, i'm so glad I switched form the Crusader to the Witch Doctor. It's just so good.

Speaking of frogs, I feel like I'm missing something with them. The damage just seems so unreliable since they hop around everywhere?

The aesthetic of this game is so refreshing with all the demonic stuff and gore. It really takes me back to gaming in 90's with Doom and everything, I love it.

Speaking of frogs, I feel like I'm missing something with them. The damage just seems so unreliable since they hop around everywhere

9620625_orig.jpg

ZenaxPure

Dahbomb is spot on, but, a few minor notes. For barbarian the console version has the 2.1 earthquake damage values. Fire is still the best in terms of raw damage, but, ice is pretty competitive. It might actually be better on console than fire because you can't aim leap with a controller which can potentially lead to problems where you get boxed in and die before you can escape. I'm not entirely sure about this yet, hopefully some console barbarian will do a bunch of tests and shit in the near future. But from a pure objective view fire is the best in terms of damage.

Also in regards to the witch doctor pet build the Zuni set isn't really that great currently because summoned fetishes from the passive skill overwrite and kill the summoned fetish army fetishes (which means you lose your perma-fetishes on like the first trash pack you encounter). It's something that's being fixed in 2.1 though.

Also @Phat, besides cache items (which none of those items are) they are just random drops. Do rifts and gamble, but, it's worth noting gambling for weapons is almost always a fools errand. Only do it when you have nothing else you want.

Dahbomb

Is there any place that shows how to get these? or are they just random?
Random. Best way to increase odds of finding item for your class is to get in 4 man groups of your class. Of course don't expect other Wizards to just give your their Wand of Woh... LMAO!

Gambling for it is extremely difficult as it costs 15 shards per roll which is very expensive. By the time you get a Wand of Woh through gambling you would've made 3-4 characters T6 ready through that amount of shards used on gambling.

As far as I know the following Legendary items are in the "extremely rare" category:

Witching Hour (high DPS belt that has IAS and CHD)
Shard of Hate (multiproc 1H weapon)
Wand of Woh (Wizard weapon allows multiple casts of Exploding Blast)
Calamity (1h Xbow weapon that procs Mark of Death on opponents, upping your DPS substantially)
Kridershot (2H Bow makes Elemental Shot into a Hatred Generator)
Chanon Bolter (2H Xbow makes Spiked Taunt taunt lesser enemies to it)
Focus and Restraint (dual set rings that makes your Spender deal 50% more damage if at full resource)
Little Rogue and Slanderer (dual set weapons, gives you attack speed for every resource spent for a total of 30% attack speed. One of the rarest items in the game even among the rarest of rares)
Frostburn (Rarest gauntlet in the game, chilled enemies are frozen)
Rimeheart (1h weapon, frozen enemies have a 10% chance to be instantly shattered. This weapon is ridiculous overpowered and is getting severely nerfed in 2.1)
Furnace (2H weapon, enemies take 7% of their life as fire damage. Ridiculous over powered weapon that is getting nerfed in 2.1)
All of the immunity Amulets are very rare Legendaries with the Star of Azkaranth (gives fire immunity) being the single rarest item in the game
Ice Climbers (Boots that give you frozen immunity)
Tasker and Theo (gloves that makes your pet attack 50% faster)

Here's the loot percentage of items in the game:

http://diablo.incgamers.com/forums/threads/legendary-drop-rates-data-torment-drop.858143/

Shinta

Banned
Man ... I thought my Monk was crazy going with Hundred Fists, and heavy mobility stuff.

Now I'm just a walking death machine with Cyclone on all the time, and the 8 sided fire stomp move.

Mantra of Healing is absurd. I went from having a +30 regen to +230, all the time, in Act II. And hitting R1 lets me put up a shield to basically block most stuff, and almost all the time I don't even need to use it.

Xevren

T6 only becomes viable for classes because certain combination of skills and items make for legitimately broken mechanics/builds (but that's intended actually).

An example is Barbarian. If you were to make a build using high rolled standard Legendaries you would not do well in T6. You can have Witching Hour Belt, perfect 1 hand dual wield, immunity Amulet etc... you won't be efficient.

However you collect 4 pieces of Earthquake set (3 if you have RoRG) which makes your Leap use the Earthquake move... it makes your damage shoot up insanely high. We are about talking about a 4000% damage nuke every 6 or so seconds which is substantial. BUT to push it forward you add another item called Lut Socks that allows you to leap 3 times. Suddenly you get to put out 3 Earthquakes in quick succession for insane damage that cannot be matched by other Legendary combinations.

That's what end game is like in this game for every class. You generally have to come up with insane item synergies that involves sets (sometimes multiple) to push yourself to that T6/end game level. Simply relying on using Generators + Spender cycle is not enough in this game.

This is what I'm working for, got 1 piece of the earth set, lut socks and a rrog. Progress!

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
God, I freak out whenever I hear that damn horn and the controller start to rumble

Love that feature
Seriously, it's so awesome. It's a cool idea executed very well. One of my favorite surprise game mechanics in years.

Aces&Eights

Seriously, it's so awesome. It's a cool idea executed very well. One of my favorite surprise game mechanics in years.

Sometimes, I get the horn and after 3 or 4 times, it just stops. Do I need to stay in the area when I first hear it or did maybe the person before me beat the guy so that is why he never comes into my game?

JimPanzer

Can anyone explain difficutly to me? Is Nightmare and Hell gone? I'm currently lvl 53 on my Crusader and playing on master and just killed
Adria
feels a bit too easy sometimes but most of the time it's good. when will the next difficulty be avaible for me?

G_Berry

Banned
Nub question but how do I actually use the equipped melee weapon as a witch doctor?

X button is used to spew my awesome frog minions.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Lol I have a dope legendary axe I was going to smash fools with.

I still get the stats from it though correct?

Yup, you still need to keep up to date with better weapons and stuff, even if he just lays it on his back to actually attack.

Wallach

Got my second piece of MotE (shoulders). Getting there, just gloves/legs remain; with Greater Rifts in the not too distant future I will still need all four pieces since eventually I'll have to drop the RoRG. Not going to start gambling the 4th piece until later though since it'll be a while before that bridge needs to be crossed. 5 second CD Leap for console is going to be nuts with this stuff.

Kamina

Golden Boy
God, I freak out whenever I hear that damn horn and the controller start to rumble

Love that feature
Nemesis? Yeah, its quite creepy but awesome. My Lv11 Wizard was getting haunted by a Nemesis created by my Lv70 Crusader due to PSN being offline.

ZenaxPure

with Greater Rifts in the not too distant future I will still need all four pieces since eventually I'll have to drop the RoRG.

Not entirely sure about that yet, we're obviously still in the early phases of it but it's looking alot like MoTE + IK might be the winner for leapquake in 2.1. They (annoyingly) buffed the IK set by nerfing Call of the Ancient duration and boosting up their attack. The end result has lead to the fire ancients doing something like 500% weapon damage per hit, with a 2 handed weapon they can easily crit for 30+ mil individually. They do a really good job covering the main leapquake problem which is shitty single target damage.

That said, before I go down that road I'm going to try a straight CDR build because they are changing an old belt to have CDR and new Leroic's crown will double the effect of a gem in it (so diamond in the helm will be nuts for CDR). Might work even better on console since you can get the cooldown of leap down to like 2 seconds or something crazy.

george_us

Jesus finally beat
Malthael
after six tries. Amazing final battle and unquestionably the best battle in the game. Hell all of Act V was incredible. Now on to Adventure Mode!

Wallach

Not entirely sure about that yet, we're obviously still in the early phases of it but it's looking alot like MoTE + IK might be the winner for leapquake in 2.1. They (annoyingly) buffed the IK set by nerfing Call of the Ancient duration and boosting up their attack. The end result has lead to the fire ancients doing something like 500% weapon damage per hit, with a 2 handed weapon they can easily crit for 30+ mil individually. They do a really good job covering the main leapquake problem which is shitty single target damage.

That said, before I go down that road I'm going to try a straight CDR build because they are changing an old belt to have CDR and new Leroic's crown will double the effect of a gem in it (so diamond in the helm will be nuts for CDR). Might work even better on console since you can get the cooldown of leap down to like 2 seconds or something crazy.

I dunno, I just don't think that for high end GR solo play you'll really be able to get around Unity.

ZenaxPure

I dunno, I just don't think that for high end GR solo play you'll really be able to get around Unity.

Oh no I agree, it's just that it's not RRoG a lot of people are dropping, it's SoJ. The combined sets have been giving better results than SoJ + Unity. I run SoJ/Unity myself and I want to keep running it but so far it seems like that might not be the best route.

Though for that matter if we're talking about high end GR, Raekor has been showing better than Leapquake anyway. The new vile ward is just ridiculous.

Putty

This has me completely hooked! Destiny beta also did this to me! For me and my tastes this and Destiny coming close together is just pure bliss! Best of all, today is a bank holiday in the UK, so the devs I'm working with currently are Infact not working today 8). I'm just playing this and learning things as I go. I've been reading the past several pages of this this thread and there are things I don't fully understand but guess I will as I progress. An absolute gem so far.

He always come at the worst possible moment too... bastard

the best person to be when you hear the horns is a demon hunter build if you have the right equipment. When i had my Level 56 DH i heard the horns. I set 5 x Sentries around (i had 3 down already) and lay damage caltrops EVERYWHERE. As soon as the guy landed we really laid waste to him.

This build however isnt suitable for high level torment play so i had to change it...but damn was it fun,.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
I'm thinking about waiting for a Plus discount on this game. Or even wait for it to go free on Plus.

I'm just not sure I can wait that long. Demo was soooooooooo good.

tmespe

Just got a level 70 version of this without the socket unfortunately. Still pretty awesome. Using it with the confusion rune is a blast. Watching enemies beat each other to death while my piranhas and army of pets hammer them is fantastic. The witch doctor is soon much fun.

Just as I was about to forsake the RNGods, they started raining legendaries on me. Played for 4 hours yesterday without getting anything. Played for 30 mins this morning and got 6.

Wallach

Oh no I agree, it's just that it's not RRoG a lot of people are dropping, it's SoJ. The combined sets have been giving better results than SoJ + Unity. I run SoJ/Unity myself and I want to keep running it but so far it seems like that might not be the best route.

Though for that matter if we're talking about high end GR, Raekor has been showing better than Leapquake anyway. The new vile ward is just ridiculous.

Yeah, I've seen Raekor builds on the PTR, but I think the 5s Leap CD will probably keep me on the MotE side of things. I also don't really want to deal with the Raekor playstyle; I imagine CotA helps a lot there just to get out of the single target hole you're in, but it also sounds like something that would be a pain in the ass for group play if you want to switch. I'm sure I'll mess with it down the line after I have a larger stable of gear on the console side but it isn't my primary plan.

Are the MotE + IK w/ RoRG sets stuck using IK 2H main hand? Or do you have a link to a setup for that?

nubbe

I almost think the game is bugged. Seem like I get way more legendaries on Master compared to Torment

Granted I kill mobs much faster on Master, but I also get legendaries from barrels

Crimzun Wolf

Neo Member
Rng has been really kind to me. Finally finished the Mara set (minus the chest but the ring bails me out here). Now all that's left is optimize each piece gear and play with other classes. Somehow, I'm still having a ton of fun playing this game.

Top Bottom