• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III: Ultimate Evil Edition |OT| Loot has never looked this good before!

Woorloog

Banned
I have no idea what I'm doing in this game. I've tried out several builds as a level 70 wizard, and I consistently get my ass handed to me in Torment. I do very little damage, and I get 3 shot by almost anything. Does someone have advice for me? Because I know I have to be playing this game wrong....

Your stats and equipment are shit most likely. Builds probably aren't the issue.
EDIT this depends on what Torment you're trying of course. T1? Isn't each Torment considerable jump over the previous one?

AC_Frog

I have no idea what I'm doing in this game. I've tried out several builds as a level 70 wizard, and I consistently get my ass handed to me in Torment. I do very little damage, and I get 3 shot by almost anything. Does someone have advice for me? Because I know I have to be playing this game wrong....

My current stats (soloing T2 right now):
10649750_900215110007873_4020160902255991092_n.jpg

Link to my current build: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#bRYPSi!ZYec!cZZYZc

Hydra and Meteors to initiate. Spam Electrocute to regain Arcane Power, then just spam Meteors until everything on screen dies horribly. Use Frost Nova to reposition. Use Disintegrate for stragglers. Have Magic Weapon up at all times.

I may be looking to replace Electrocute with a fire skill soon since I'm trying to stack Fire damage, but Living Lightning is just so damn good. If you're looking for more survivability, swap out Magic Weapon for Energy Armor - Prismatic Armor.

I just started bounties last night, is there any reason not to jump right to act 5? Whenever I do the quick join I wind up in Act 1.

There are bounty-specific legendaries that can drop from bags. At least there was in the pc version, so I don't expect it to be different. Most people want the Royal Ring which lowers the amount of items you need to hit set bonuses on gear by one, thus Act 1 is always hopping.

BondFancy

My current stats (soloing T2 right now):
10649750_900215110007873_4020160902255991092_n.jpg

Link to my current build: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#bRYPSi!ZYec!cZZYZc

Hydra and Meteors to initiate. Spam Electrocute to regain Arcane Power, then just spam Meteors until everything on screen dies horribly. Use Frost Nova to reposition. Use Disintegrate for stragglers. Have Magic Weapon up at all times.

I may be looking to replace Electrocute with a fire skill soon since I'm trying to stack Fire damage, but Living Lightning is just so damn good. If you're looking for more survivability, swap out Magic Weapon for Energy Armor - Prismatic Armor.

Thanks for the advice! Unfortunately, I'm almost certain its my gear causing me to be useless. So what should I do to find good gear? And how do I determine if the gear is good? Because all I ever do is see if all the stats are green, then I switch if it is LOL

Llyrwenne

Unconfirmed Member
Just to come back on the Jeweler 'problem'; it is actually bigger than I thought, as I just realized you also need Flawless Imperial Gems for re-rolling stats on Rings and Amulets. Enemies drop mostly Marquise gems with a very low drop chance for Imperial gems on Torment difficulties; if you assume you're going to be upgrading from Marquise upwards with the gems, the cost is insane...

81 Marquise + 5,400,000 Gold = 27 Imperial
27 Imperial + 2,700,000 Gold = 9 Flawless Imperial
9 Flawless Imperial + 1,200,000 Gold = 3 Royal
3 Royal + 500,000 Gold = 1 Flawless Royal

That's 9,800,000 Gold and 81 Marquise gems just to craft a single high-end gem of a single type for a single slot, assuming you never want to re-roll stats on any Ring or Amulet and never socket anything into an item you want to use until you have the best possible gem. If you do want to re-roll a stat on an Amulet or Ring, then that's 9 Marquise gems + a combined total of 900,000 Gold per re-roll.

What the hell does that guy do with all that Gold?

I mean, it's end-game stuff, so yeah, there's going to be some grinding involved, but this makes the entire gem mechanic about farming Gold instead of about the actual gems.

hydruxo

Is there anyway to reset act 1 bounties without actually having the quit the game and start a new one?

Pretty sure there's not, but all you have to do is back out to the "press any button" screen then go back and it'll reset. You don't have to fully quit the game.

mulac

Picked up a new PS4 at the weekend - part of a JB HI FI bundle and I got Wolfenstein with it...trading Wolfenstein in today as its not the best and I think i'm "bored" of shooters now (till Destiny comes out!).

So is Diablo3 the BEST game on PS4 right now you reckon?

Toki767

I finally got over 5K attack on my demon hunter (level 46). Expert seems pretty easy at the moment as I'm still on Act 3 though.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, the jeweler prices are ridiculous. All my gold goes to that guy lately.

Picked up a new PS4 at the weekend - part of a JB HI FI bundle and I got Wolfenstein with it...trading Wolfenstein in today as its not the best and I think i'm "bored" of shooters now (till Destiny comes out!).

I personally found Infamous to be very mediocre and didn't even bother finishing it. I'd definitely go with Diablo.

How does local multiplayer work for this? My wife saw me playing and asked if she could play too. I'd buy a controller on my way home from work if it was decent. (PS4 if that matters.)
Local co-op is great. She will need to create her own psn account if she doesn't have one yet. Then just turn on the other controller and join.

Sanctuary

I'm planning to buy this game, I know it's heavily focused on co-op, but is it also worth buying if you play it all alone? Is it still a lot of fun? (Ps4)

Co-op is almost always better than solo when you're playing with people you know, or are in a clan playing with people you're familiar with at least that you know won't waste your time. When you can't play with these people though, it's almost always better to solo. You can randomly get some solid public games (which can also help your "friends" list grow), but it's too random compared to the mostly bad public games (for many reasons).

Your stats and equipment are shit most likely. Builds probably aren't the issue.
EDIT this depends on what Torment you're trying of course. T1? Isn't each Torment considerable jump over the previous one?

Builds matter. A lot. The higher up in difficulty you go, the fewer builds are viable. The game is a mostly gear dependent game, and the builds that do really well require specific gear sets, but it's not soley about gear alone.

Thanks for the advice! Unfortunately, I'm almost certain its my gear causing me to be useless. So what should I do to find good gear? And how do I determine if the gear is good? Because all I ever do is see if all the stats are green, then I switch if it is LOL
You should ignore the arrows and look at the actual stats. More INT is good. Bonus damage is good. Life per second or hit is good too.

Gxgear

There are relatively easy ways to optimize your current gear to make them viable for torment. Gemming resist all, enchant rares to optimize stats for cheap, spending bloodshards to get decent gear for specific slots.

Mr Croft

There are relatively easy ways to optimize your current gear to make them viable for torment. Gemming resist all, enchant rares to optimize stats for cheap, spending bloodshards to get decent gear for specific slots.

one of the most important things when moving to torment right there. Resist all is very important

ZangBa

If anyone wants to add me for gifts and whatnot, my PSN is my GAF name. I play a lot and barely find any gifts because I only have a couple friends that play Diablo. One more character to 70 until platinum C:.

Sanctuary

one of the most important things when moving to torment right there. Resist all is very important

You're better off in most cases gemming for your primary stat until T6 where the incoming damage is so much higher than your ability to dispatch enemies and surivival stats start to matter a whole lot more. Demon Hunters were somewhat of an outlier to this since they already did so much damage, but had an awful survival rate compared to...pretty much every other class (that could take a few hits before dying). No idea how much the DEX = armor change will affect that though. Plus, it's not too difficult to find Res All on gear for specific slots (which is usually, but not always better than VIT).

As for Paragon it just depends on your current Torment, but the focus should be between Resist All and Armor, but necessarily raising one at the cost of another.

Woorloog

Banned
Builds matter. A lot. The higher up in difficulty you go, the fewer builds are viable. The game is a mostly gear dependent game, and the builds that do really well require specific gear sets, but it's not soley about gear alone.

Yeah, well, we're talking about T1, and presumably not terrible builds (and presumably actually using them properly) so the gear is the most likely culprit for not doing well, ain't it?

Speaking of builds, is there a good build calculator that allows saving them and linking them elsewhere?

EDIT is that "Dex=armor" thing a 2.1 thing (and thus likely coming to newgen consoles as well), or some change that isn't present on oldgen Diablo for some reason? Because 360 version sure doesn't have it.

Sanctuary

Yeah, well, we're talking about T1, and presumably not terrible builds (and presumably actually using them properly) so the gear is the most likely culprit for not doing well, ain't it?

Speaking of builds, is there a good build calculator that allows saving them and linking them elsewhere?

EDIT is that "Dex=armor" thing a 2.1 thing (and thus likely coming to newgen consoles as well), or some change that isn't present on oldgen Diablo for some reason? Because 360 version sure doesn't have it.

Yeah, it's a 2.1 change.

Were you talking about character builds with gear and paragon, or just a skill calculator? The Blizzard one isn't as complex as some (usually a spreadsheet), but you can do "builds" and link them to others.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/barbarian

Mr Croft

You're better off in most cases gemming for your primary stat until T6 where the incoming damage is so much higher than your ability to dispatch enemies and surivival stats start to matter a whole lot more. Demon Hunters were somewhat of an outlier to this since they already did so much damage, but had an awful survival rate compared to...pretty much every other class (that could take a few hits before dying). No idea how much the DEX = armor change will affect that though. Plus, it's not too difficult to find Res All on gear for specific slots (which is usually, but not always better than VIT).

As for Paragon it just depends on your current Torment, but the focus should be between Resist All and Armor, but necessarily raising one at the cost of another.

hmm I agree with this as well I do play dh that's why I constantly tell everyone to use all res. I dont have to worry about physical damage as much because of sentries and companions keeping them away( also smokescreen to avoid being jailed or frozen) but I play mostly T5 and t6.

another question as well
when wearing cameo amulet (the one that heals you in arcane) does that mean I heal less if my arcane resist is high?

CRA5H

2 of my first 4 leg rings are... RRoG and SoJ (rolled for a barb while on my sader). This game trolls me hard. SoJ hasn't even dropped on my 1500 hours logged into on PC.

Late Flag

95% of my playtime has been alone and I love it.

Same here. I'm trying to get my son to give this a try (we've couch co-oped Dead Nation and Trine) but for some reason he just doesn't seem interested in Diablo 3. He usually likes games like this that are all action and almost no narrative -- not sure what the deal is.

Sanctuary

another question as well
when wearing cameo amulet (the one that heals you in arcane) does that mean I heal less if my arcane resist is high?

No idea, but does it really matter? The healing might be useful but the primary reason for that neck is that you don't have to run away from arcane beams, and can just go into turret mode. Either way you won't be taking damage from them, and you'll be healing when you otherwise wouldn't.

Is there a primer on what T5 or T6 is? I was assuming differnt tiers of gear sets, not sure if thats the case..

Just more experience and gold, increase in blood shards, very slight increase in legendary drop chance (including from caches), monsters do more damage and have much higher health. No new tiers of gear AFAIK, just a higher chance for them to drop.

*This was before 2.1. I have no idea how much the difficulties might increase your chance (if at all) for ring upgrades in the Greater Rifts, or any of the other new random stuff that's been added. Just like in the past though, I can't imagine that any of that really matters as much as what you can personally (solo or in a group) do per hour based off of your gear/build. Specifically, don't try to do T5/T6 just because "you can" if you would get more drops or XP per hour doing T3/T4.

I'm planning to buy this game, I know it's heavily focused on co-op, but is it also worth buying if you play it all alone? Is it still a lot of fun? (Ps4)

95% of my playtime has been alone and I love it.

Its too much damn fun, solo and co-op. Perfectly fine solo though.

It's fun, solo, sure, but the solitude of the PS4 experience has been pretty shocking. Coming from the Xbox 360 world where I played the previous Diablo 3, there were ALWAYS groups of people online. I don't mean friends or GAF lists. I mean there were *always* enough people where I could scroll for choices on whom I'd like to party with. Didn't matter day or night, my character level, or how long the game had been available.

I don't know if it's because Blizzard made the counter-intuitive choice to push L3 to change the network connection. I don't know if it's because they decided to make it terribly difficult to see the text when you select OPEN TO PUBLIC...

But yeah, I've been on PS4 since Day 1 and although I don't play often, there's never anybody jumping into my campaign or any campaigns for me to jump into for a quick match. I've had the same experience with Killzone.

The PS4 multiplayer world and the Xbox multiplayer world are SOOOOOO different. Where is everyone??

Maybesew

Just more experience and gold, increase in blood shards, very slight increase in legendary drop chance (including from caches), monsters do more damage and have much higher health. No new tiers of gear AFAIK, just a higher chance for them to drop.

How does one get to that though? Is that the same/different as doing bounties on Torment or Act V on torment?

Sanctuary

The PS4 multiplayer world and the Xbox multiplayer world are SOOOOOO different. Where is everyone??

Could the amount of people that own a PS3 and 360 compared to the PS4 have much to do with it? Factor in those who already bought it for the previous systems and might not have wanted to purchase it again too.

How does one get to that though? Is that the same/different as doing bounties on Torment or Act V on torment?

I'm not sure what you're asking here. Going up in Torment levels is just a global increase for everything you do within that difficulty. Aside from gambling anyway.

Maybesew

I'm not sure what you're asking here. Going up in Torment levels is just a global increase for everything you do within that difficulty. Aside from gambling anyway.

Maybe that's it. There are torment levels? I'm just about to hit 70 and can get the difficulty to Torment, but didn't know there was anything beyond that.

X-Frame

So I got a couple green items; 1 in the mail and 1 I found. Both are for like Level 66 or 67. I figured only the greens would drop when I was a Level 70, so that is a surprise.

Sanctuary

Maybe that's it. There are torment levels? I'm just about to hit 70 and can get the difficulty to Torment, but didn't know there was anything beyond that.

Once you are able to unlock Torment, you can choose from Torment 1 - 6. Depending on how familiar you are with the game and your luck with drops (as well as how much you play), you might need to farm T1/T2 for a few days before trying to move up. Things became a little quicker once they implemented set items on Kadala though. You might even find that even T1 is too much for you at the start. It usually is for most people, and you would want to just grind out items on Master for a while most likely.

edit: I still hate the console UI. Really loved the way it played with a controller, but god...that UI. Plus, my plasma TV hated it too. Wouldn't be an issue if you could at least shut off the icons through the options.

SDCowboy

It's fun, solo, sure, but the solitude of the PS4 experience has been pretty shocking. Coming from the Xbox 360 world where I played the previous Diablo 3, there were ALWAYS groups of people online. I don't mean friends or GAF lists. I mean there were *always* enough people where I could scroll for choices on whom I'd like to party with. Didn't matter day or night, my character level, or how long the game had been available.

I don't know if it's because Blizzard made the counter-intuitive choice to push L3 to change the network connection. I don't know if it's because they decided to make it terribly difficult to see the text when you select OPEN TO PUBLIC...

But yeah, I've been on PS4 since Day 1 and although I don't play often, there's never anybody jumping into my campaign or any campaigns for me to jump into for a quick match. I've had the same experience with Killzone.

What? Even during the day the online seemed pretty packed. I've never had an issue getting groups instantly. Ever.

Don't do that.

BokehKing

Banned
So I tried to jump into several people's parties, it says I can join session but then it always says there was a problem joining, why is that?

Could the amount of people that own a PS3 and 360 compared to the PS4 have much to do with it? Factor in those who already bought it for the previous systems and might not have wanted to purchase it again too.

I considered that and hesitated comparing it to X360. As I typed this, I took a break to see if anybody was online. First time I noticed that there was a party to play with.

Part of the problem is the design of the menu. Every time I boot up the game, I have to go to the network option and go from the default FRIENDS ONLY to the OPEN TO PUBLIC.
That's odd.

What? Even during the day the online seemed pretty packed. I've never had an issue getting groups instantly. Ever. Even I just pop into a solo to sell crap (with the game being open to public) There are people popping in. Maybe it's something on your end or you're playing a difficulty that few are.

hmm.. could be. I decided to start on expert because all of the podcasts have been talking about the easiness of the game. Expert with Crusader just feels like 'normal' to me, which is fine. If that's the case, that's kind of disappointing. It's just the right amount of difficulty to feel challenging enough where I'd need a party. Feel like if i go lower and join a group, it'll just be a slaughter fest light show.

If you can find a multiplayer match, D3 is good. I'm in the minority and wasn't smitten by Wolfenstein, though.

Also, The Last of Us is EXCELLENT. Worth every penny.

SDCowboy

hmm.. could be. I decided to start on expert because all of the podcasts have been talking about the easiness of the game. Expert with Crusader just feels like 'normal' to me, which is fine. If that's the case, that's kind of disappointing. It's just the right amount of difficulty to feel challenging enough where I'd need a party. Feel like if i go lower and join a group, it'll just be a slaughter fest light show.

Not sure if going to a lower difficulty is the answer. I'm on T2 now and the groups are instant. Maybe the majority of players playing online are playing torment at this point.

anddo0

Is the
grand maester
fight the cheapest in the game?
Not even real bosses pull this bull shit. I had to drop in difficulty to beat him.

Top Bottom