• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III: Ultimate Evil Edition |OT| Loot has never looked this good before!

Kyoufu

With Signet Bounty and all skills active, DPS is at 956k. With Stone of Jordan it's 845k. But yeah, 27% extra damage to elites is nice.

Sheet damage/toughness means absolutely zilch, sir. The game's damage/toughness calculator should be ignored, as it doesn't count elemental/elite/skill percentages.

Einhandr

Any crusaders want to trade my Fulminator for a Gyrefalcon Foote?

Edit: also looking to trade lidless wall for Jekangbord. I'm on PS4.

ZenaxPure

With Signet Bounty and all skills active, DPS is at 956k. With Stone of Jordan it's 845k. But yeah, 27% extra damage to elites is nice.

Others have said it, but, yeah it can't be stressed enough how misleading the DPS/toughness numbers are. All the best stats do not get factored into your sheet damage number.

With the best rolls (20% ele damage and 30% elite damage) a SoJ straight up gives 50% more damage (that does not show up in your sheet damage) without even factoring in the other 2 stats. There is no other ring in the game that can give damage like that (ignoring something like tall man's fingers legendary affix). With your SoJ equipped your effective elemental elite damage is over 1 million, far better than the other ring.

Vire

They really should overhaul the stat sheet.

I was over a million DPS on my old build, but I'm doing about 40% more damage even though my stat sheet says 800k DPS now. Dat Fire skill damage.

TheYanger

They really should overhaul the stat sheet.

I was over a million DPS on my old build, but I'm doing about 40% more damage even though my stat sheet says 800k DPS now. Dat Fire skill damage.

Would take quite a bit of changing. It would basically have to tell you your damage based on a per skill basis and not distill it into a number. Like "Hey your fire whirlwind is doing X, your physical rend is only doing Y" etc etc. The simple truth is, there's no easy way to just get 'I do more damage" in this game as a simple variable, so they do the most baseline fair thing. Yes, it renders it semi-useless.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I'm about to fight Belial on Hardcore for the first time. He gave me a hell of a time on softcore Expert, so just to be safe I'm gonna bump the difficulty down to normal, haha.

Others have said it, but, yeah it can't be stressed enough how misleading the DPS/toughness numbers are. All the best stats do not get factored into your sheet damage number.

With the best rolls (20% ele damage and 30% elite damage) a SoJ straight up gives 50% more damage (that does not show up in your sheet damage) without even factoring in the other 2 stats. There is no other ring in the game that can give damage like that (ignoring something like tall man's fingers legendary affix). With your SoJ equipped your effective elemental elite damage is over 1 million, far better than the other ring.

He has spoken! Thus it is so!
I need one of them dang'ol rings, that would push my elite damage up a nice percentage for sure.

Vire

Would take quite a bit of changing. It would basically have to tell you your damage based on a per skill basis and not distill it into a number. Like "Hey your fire whirlwind is doing X, your physical rend is only doing Y" etc etc. The simple truth is, there's no easy way to just get 'I do more damage" in this game as a simple variable, so they do the most baseline fair thing. Yes, it renders it semi-useless.
Maybe not quite as granular as that, but a basic, you do x amount of damage when using this element versus raw DPS.

I imagine it's not a simple problem to solve, but it makes mid maxing a lot more complicated than it should be and inspecting someone's stat sheet all but useless.

Whoever said don't leave a rift after killing the guardian is spot on. Got two legendaries and a green set piece in one shot. Plus of course almost 50 blood shards. Pity it takes so damned long.

ZenaxPure

I'm not even confident something like cooldown reduction could be accurately portrayed in a sheet damage system anyway. Look at something like crusader builds. Champion gives a damage boost but it also increases resource regeneration. The regeneration effectively increases your DPS because combined with taunt the two allow you to spam your spenders forever without worrying about generating them in traditional methods. Without champion going your DPS is lower because there are gaps where you don't have resources to spend.

How do you even quantify something like that as a damage number.

antitrop

Stop playing and get ya butt in minimum t2 lol

Yeah, I'm doing Torment III solo with a 650K DH. I dunno wtf that guy is doing in Master with 800k...

The entire point of the DH is that you're never supposed to get hit, anyway. You have your companion/follower tank for you and Vault/Smoke Screen around like a little piece of shit, while traps do all the work.

TheYanger

Maybe not quite as granular as that, but a basic, you do x amount of damage when using this element versus raw DPS.

I imagine it's not a simple problem to solve, but it makes mid maxing a lot more complicated than it should be and inspecting someone's stat sheet all but useless.

But even that is not useful in the same way that the current number is not useful. Basically, the number is only relevent to specific skills with specific elemental types once you start REALLY gearing out, the current system works well when you're new and you don't really have a lot of that shit anyway.

Also, those numbers are effectively there on the character screen anyway (on pc, I assume on console too), it lists per skill bonuses and per elemental bonuses.

What is the "best" Crusader build for level 40ish (Not that builds really matter at that level)

I can't decide if I like 1 handed or 2 handed weapons, + the passive allowing a shield, better

BumRush

My first time ever playing Diablo and I'm obsessed. I'm a level 13 wizard (only playing for 4 or 5 hours). Quick question, if you play through with a different character does the story change?

leehom

Anyone level 70 want to play adventure mode and do rifts?
psn = leehom

This game is weird, after I hit level 70, I've only gotten 2-3 legendary drops the last 7-8 hours I've played. Seems like the loot has been a lot worse =/

Anyone level 70 want to play adventure mode and do rifts?
psn = leehom

This game is weird, after I hit level 70, I've only gotten 2-3 legendary drops the last 7-8 hours I've played. Seems like the loot has been a lot worse =/
What difficulty are you playing at?

Do you guys know if the % of the elemental damage stack? Cause I have a few items that deal + 20% poison skills damage and not sure if they stack or not. Since I'm using WD with almost all poison skills that would be a huge stack for me.

Also do you guys know what is the + % damage to Elite cap if there is any?

SDCowboy

My first time ever playing Diablo and I'm obsessed. I'm a level 13 wizard (only playing for 4 or 5 hours). Quick question, if you play through with a different character does the story change?
No. Once you've beaten the game, you typically want to stick with adventure mode which, IMO, is the real meat of the game.

Camper182

It's so much more satisfying to kill hordes of enemies when you have the enemy health bars enabled, to see all those red bars explode at once feels great

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
My favorite part of this game, by far, has to be levels 1 through 40 when you're playing a new class and unlocking new abilities all the time in the beginning. It's just that joy of discovering how your character plays -- it goes to show the painstaking lengths Blizzard went through to make all the classes so incredibly good and fun to play. Hats off to those guys.

Isn't your "Damage" just your basic weapon damage averaged out, taking in to account things like attack speed and crit rate? So if you have 10k Damage and use Arcane Hydra for an hour, it'll do an average of 10k * 245% = 24.5k DPS with most attacks being lower than that, and crits substantially higher?

Then if you have a 10% boost to Arcane and/or Hydras, you'd then apply those to the 24.5K DPS to see what kind of damage you can do with your hydra. This is the additional math people want done for them? Seems like the biggest obstacle is finding somewhere to display it. What if instead of "245% weapon damage," the description for Arcane Hydra read, "245% (296%) weapon damage," assuming you have +10% Arcane and +10% Hydra slotted? That'd give you a direct comparison to other skill choices at least, like if you're trying to choose between hydras and torrents for that last slot.

Howzzat sound?

Haines

Banned
Do you guys know if the % of the elemental damage stack? Cause I have a few items that deal + 20% poison skills damage and not sure if they stack or not. Since I'm using WD with almost all poison skills that would be a huge stack for me.

Wouldn't they almost have to stack or the game would be a joke?

Daigoro

Is there no way to tell what element a skill/rune has on consoles like there in on pc?

Skills and runes are what make elemental % damage work, right? What's up with this on consoles?

SkylineRKR

Whoever said don't leave a rift after killing the guardian is spot on. Got two legendaries and a green set piece in one shot. Plus of course almost 50 blood shards. Pity it takes so damned long.

I got the Ring of Royal Grandeur that way. Plus Cain's Set recipe.

I think it was only on Master, even. But online with randoms.

TheYanger

They stack additively. So 20% poison on 3 items is 60% poison damage bonus. Same for elite bonus, and yes that stats and no there's no cap afaik.

Isn't your "Damage" just your basic weapon damage averaged out, taking in to account things like attack speed and crit rate? So if you have 10k Damage and use Arcane Hydra for an hour, it'll do an average of 10k * 245% = 24.5k DPS with most attacks being lower than that, and crits substantially higher?

Then if you have a 10% boost to Arcane and/or Hydras, you'd then apply those to the 24.5K DPS to see what kind of damage you can do with your hydra. This is the additional math people want done for them? Seems like the biggest obstacle is finding somewhere to display it. What if instead of "245% weapon damage," the description for Arcane Hydra read, "245% (296%) weapon damage," assuming you have +10% Arcane and +10% Hydra slotted? That'd give you a direct comparison to other skill choices at least, like if you're trying to choose between hydras and torrents for that last slot.

Howzzat sound?

That's essentially right.
Basic damage, Your abilities will do percentages of that (remember that's includign crit rates and such too so if an ability has a built in crit rate it's not EXACTLY the same but for the most part that math is right), then elemental and other bonuses, which are additive with themselves but multiplicative with other bonuses.

So it'd be like
Basic damage. * modifier built into the skill * sum of modifiers of the skill (IE: 10% hydra damage) * Sum of elemental bonuses * elite bonus if elites * whatever else (IE: power pylon, bonus vs undead, stupid random things).

Are skill damage affixes worth it? Seems other stats are higher priority.

My monk is at 375k DPS and can do T1 but it's a little slow. 60% lightning damage and 25% elite damage.

I need better gear.

Danis

Neo Member
What the heck happened to "quick match"? It's gone. I only see "find game" and it's an empty server list....

Edit: Nevermind. Somehow I wasn't signed into PSN.

Top Bottom