• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III: Ultimate Evil Edition |OT| Loot has never looked this good before!

Game has been lagging like hell since yesterday's FW update, does anyone else experience lag/rubber banding etc, or is it just my internet?

nowai

So what should I be going for with a crusader? I looked at some builds on http://diablo.somepage.com/popular/crusader#builds and am confused about some things.

The first think I am confused about is what they use for their normal attack? I mean I use slash a lot but none of these builds have any of the normal attacks on them when looking at the top builds. Do these people just not use any normal attacks at all?

The second thing I am confused about is what I should be going for gear wise? I want the Akkahn set, but do I get this just from running rifts and bounties? I run on Torment one btw. I have a Blade of Prophecy for my Crusader, but have a much better weapon called Burst of Wrath I think, but reading on this website it says that the Blade of Prophecy is better and is one of the top 4 weapons. I am confused by this because the weapon I hold "Burst of Wrath" does way more damage.

So I guess the thing I am asking is wtf should I be doing with a crusader? Should I care about more armor or more damage?

When you have the 4 and 6 piece set bonuses or the Armor of Akkhan, Provoke is all you need for wrath generation because you're in Akarat's Champion pretty much all the time.

Heaven's Fury with the Fires of Heaven rune becomes your main attack and the game becomes boring because you steamroll everything.

Getting the Akkhan set and rolling Holy Shutgun build with a Fate of the Fell ruined the game for me.

Always running around Super Saiyan actually gets kinda boring.

Atkison04

I know I've asked a bunch of questions today, but I've got one more. When you pick up a legendary blueprint, where do you go to do anything with it? I click on it in the menu, it disappears and it goes where? I haven't seen the ability to have anyone craft anything legendary yet. I have the anvil dude leveled up as far as it will let me. (I'm only lvl 67 though)

OmegaDL50

When you have the 4 and 6 piece set bonuses or the Armor of Akkhan, Provoke is all you need for wrath generation because you're in Akarat's Champion pretty much all the time.

Heaven's Fury with the Fires of Heaven rune becomes your main attack and the game becomes boring because you steamroll everything.

Getting the Akkhan set and rolling Holy Shutgun build with a Fate of the Fell ruined the game for me.

Always running around Super Saiyan actually gets kinda boring.

I only have two pieces of the Akkhan set but I don't know if they are any good.
I am using the Holy Shotgun build as a starting point because right now my Crusader has basically random gear.

Ultimately want my off pieces to focus on Crit Damage % and Crit Damage Chance. Since I have low DPS (Only 380k), I'm using high crit ratio to make up the difference of low damage for normals.

I know I've asked a bunch of questions today, but I've got one more. When you pick up a legendary blueprint, where do you go to do anything with it? I click on it in the menu, it disappears and it goes where? I haven't seen the ability to have anyone craft anything legendary yet. I have the anvil dude leveled up as far as it will let me. (I'm only lvl 67 though)

When you use a Plan you are teaching your Blacksmith that recipe. You might not see it but Eamon does learn how to craft new pieces. Just look for any Green Set or Orange Legendaries in the list of crafting items to see what you taught him.

So what should I be going for with a crusader? I looked at some builds on http://diablo.somepage.com/popular/crusader#builds and am confused about some things.

The first think I am confused about is what they use for their normal attack? I mean I use slash a lot but none of these builds have any of the normal attacks on them when looking at the top builds. Do these people just not use any normal attacks at all?

The second thing I am confused about is what I should be going for gear wise? I want the Akkahn set, but do I get this just from running rifts and bounties? I run on Torment one btw. I have a Blade of Prophecy for my Crusader, but have a much better weapon called Burst of Wrath I think, but reading on this website it says that the Blade of Prophecy is better and is one of the top 4 weapons. I am confused by this because the weapon I hold "Burst of Wrath" does way more damage.

So I guess the thing I am asking is wtf should I be doing with a crusader? Should I care about more armor or more damage?

The builds you see that don't have a primary attack are relying on Akkhan's set and item bonuses to reduce cooldown time for their skills. There are skills that replenish Wrath but are on a cooldown, so they rely on those skills instead of a primary. You can still use a primary attack if you don't have the amazing armor those guys have.

More damage is always good on any class. Defense is important, so you don't die in one shot. I think having around 300,000 life minimum and averaging around 700 in all resistances, block chance of 20% or greater, with a total damage reduction of 75% or better, would be good enough for T2-3.

Weapon (and armor) wise, don't just look at the green triangles and think that's enough. Look at the skills you've chosen for your build and complement that with weapon and armor bonuses that buff those skills. If you're using skills that use Lightning Damage, a ring that has 500 strength and 15% damage increase to lightning attacks will be better than a ring with 600 strength, even though the 600 strength would result in the game showing you green triangles in the inventory screen.

There's a lot of data the game doesn't show you. In the inventory screen, press Square to look at more detailed info. You'll see a ton of stats like crit chance and crit damage, bonuses to elemental attacks, bonuses to skills, armor, life, etc. It's kinda overwhelming at first, but you'll learn how to build a strong character pretty quickly.

When you click on a plan, the Blacksmith automatically learns how to craft it. When you look at what he can craft, you might have to scroll through the items to see it. Also, you might have filters on. Press Triangle to switch between "can equip," "have materials for," and "all." If you have it set to "can equip" or "have materials for," you probably won't see the legendary.

nowai

In your inventory, at about 5 o'clock, select the bag icon. Then select the anvil icon. You "learn" them from there. They don't auto learn, so you can trade them.

I only have two pieces of the Akkhan set but I don't know if they are any good.

Once you get the set bonus, they not only become good, they become broken. :)

Atkison04

In your inventory, at about 5 o'clock, select the bag icon. Then select the anvil icon. You "learn" them from there. They don't auto learn, so you can trade them.

Once you get the set bonus, they not only become good, they become broken. :)

So after I learn them, I should be able to go to them and have them craft that item, given that I am leveled up high enough and have the materials? Is there a special tab at the anvil dudes store to select from legendary items? Thanks.

So after I learn them, I should be able to go to them and have them craft that item, given that I am leveled up high enough and have the materials? Is there a special tab at the anvil dudes store to select from legendary items? Thanks.

They'll be in the category specific to that legendary. If it's a Legendary shield, look in the shields section. And don't forget about the filters I mentioned in my above post!

OmegaDL50

No. Recipes are treated like any other item he learns when you level him up.

a Legendary one handed sword for example will be the Sword section, Set Plans (Green items) will also be their specific categories for each category such as shoulders, helm, boots, etc.

Xtyle

Got a stone of jordan.
Question. I am a holy crusader. The ring has +19 skill damage. Should i enchant this to +holy skill damage? The other stat is life on hit which i can enhant to crit damage or crit chance, or skill cooldown.

Should i keep the physical skill dmg and just mod the life on hit?

Handal

Maan, I keep watching this thread and I'm getting the urge of buying this game., even if I already got it on PC.

But the thing is, Destiny. :(

Maybesew

Any advice for a DH trying to complete the merauder set? I have 2 pieces so far, wondering what torment levels would be best to farm as fast as possible. Also rifts vs bounties etc

Anyone here wanna trade on PS4? Hardcore Crusader stuffs.

I'm looking for:

RoRG (strength)
Hellskull
Captain Crimson's set (with slots preferably)
Ouroboros
Blade of Prophecy (slot)
Fate of the Fell (slot)
Gyrfalcon's Foote (slot)
Darklight (slot)
Thunderfury (slot)

I've got these items un-enchanted:

Skycutter
Sever
Schaefer's Hammer
The Executioner (2 available)
Fulminator
Blind Faith
The Ess of Johan (1 socket, +680 STR)
Blackthorne Surcoat (3 slots)
Boots of Disregard

I can craft:

Mark of the Magi
War of the Dead
Fleeting Strap
Reaper's Wraps
Skelon's Deceit
Corruption

Send me a PM on here or a PSN request at: earvcunanan

Let's get to trading, Hardcore Crusader brethren!

Got a stone of jordan.
Question. I am a holy crusader. The ring has +19 skill damage. Should i enchant this to +holy skill damage? The other stat is life on hit which i can enhant to crit damage or crit chance, or skill cooldown.

Should i keep the physical skill dmg and just mod the life on hit?

Try to roll it for +20% Holy skill damage!

Couldn't get mine to 20% so I settled for 18% when I rolled it

SLV

Game has been lagging like hell since yesterday's FW update, does anyone else experience lag/rubber banding etc, or is it just my internet?

Game has been lagging for me as well all day today, on PC. Dunno what is the problem. EU server.

joecanada

Finished Act I this morning at leve 32. First time Diablo ever, playing on expert.

My wizard is a beast right now. I'm absolutely destroying everything. Just killed
Magda
without moving at all and simply nuking.

Thrown Blade + Grasping Chilld (Blizzard) + Froze Mist (Frost Nova) + Raging Storm (Energy Twister) is insane.

Loving the game so far.

Agreed, I'm in Act 3 now level 50 or so and i have been playing on expert solo for a while now... so many options though (like your setup)

mine is

magic missile + charged blast , orb + fire , time freeze + extra slow (that dome thingy), ice hydra (wheres the poison one i don't see it?) , Archon + detonate, magic weapon+ 20%

mobs - throw down time globe , throw down hydra inside , stand back and R2 flame orbs
everywhere plus they have to walk through the lava at -80% movement rate and through the hydra .... magic missile everything left (i have magic weapon as well so +20%)

Bosses - same thing except if getting in trouble launch Archon + detonate beside boss then crisp them up... just beat that giant spider boss in about 45 seconds on expert solo.

only problem is I still do run out of mana at times. but my magic missile does almost as much damage as fire orbs anyway.

I bought this game in a drunken haze this past weekend (realizing that I could use PayPal Credit on a PSN purchase whilst shitfaced was bad) and I had fun when I played it...but wasn't totally sure what was going on. Are there any relatively new people who would want to play together? My PSN name is CartmanPat

JJD

Damn, I'm having very bad luck lately. The last 3 rifts I did on torment 1 I only got 2 shitty legendaries that I already and the last one I didn't even get a legendary just a shitty lvl. 60 plan and a forgotten soul...

How is that possible? I thought rifts were supposed to get some guaranteed drops...

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Damn, I'm having very bad luck lately. The last 3 rifts I did on torment 1 I only got 2 shitty legendaries that I already and the last one I didn't even get a legendary just a shitty lvl. 60 plan and a forgotten soul...

How is that possible? I thought rifts were supposed to get some guaranteed drops...

Nope, just a good chance. I've done many rifts where I've received nothing. I've also done rifts where i've received over 5 legendaries. Yesterday I had a rift where I had 4 legendary drops within about 30 seconds. It was glorious. All praise RNG. I think I even saved the video.

At least you got 2 shitty legendaries...I got nothing. Restarted on normal, 4 dropped inside half an hour. Go figure.

Xtyle

so I got this shield last night http://us.battle.net/d3/en/item/the-final-witness
Man, it really changed my crusader game. The 360 shield glare is so damn good. Plus, I have gotten few pieces with +holy dmg and holy skill dmg that my crusader is now totally comfortable hacking things in T4. My new fast 1h spear is helping a ton on life regen too.

Loving this game.

Omnicent

Is it because +physical skill damage only affects a portion of the attack dmg and holy skill adds more to the overall DPS?

Look at the skill.
If it just says deals x% weapon damage then it's physical.
If it says deals x% weapon damage as ~some element~ then you want +% ~elemental~ damage of that type (physical is basically an element type).
The skill is no longer a physical damage skill (and +% physical damage will not affect the skill) at that point.

Xtyle

Look at the skill.
If it just says deals x% weapon damage then it's physical.
If it says deals x% weapon damage as ~some element~ then you want +% ~elemental~ damage of that type (physical is basically an element type).
The skill is no longer a physical damage skill (and +% physical damage will not affect the skill) at that point.

Ah, I see. That clears it up.

SDCowboy

One more wizard question...I've seen some shooting, what looks like disintegrate, from both hands instead of one. How is this done?

yamo

I'm trying to level up my Witch Doctor as quick as possible by doing the quest a Miner's Gold on T6.

My problem however is that I keep dying while the event is completed and I don't get any XP. I looked at YouTube and did see people talking to the guy and then porting back to town to recieve the reward. But when I try to do the same the quest never completes for me. I'm stuck with hanging around the dude and getting killed.

Anyone know how to do this without losing out on the quest XP by dying all the time?

JJD

Nope, just a good chance. I've done many rifts where I've received nothing. I've also done rifts where i've received over 5 legendaries. Yesterday I had a rift where I had 4 legendary drops within about 30 seconds. It was glorious. All praise RNG. I think I even saved the video.

At least you got 2 shitty legendaries...I got nothing. Restarted on normal, 4 dropped inside half an hour. Go figure.

Sometimes you have no drops at all? Ouch!!!

Guess I was spoiled when I got 4 or 5 drops on my first rift... :-(

At least I can do runs on torment 1 pretty quickly.

Thanks for that Persona. I appreciate it!

So, I'm still trying to get the hang of what makes most sense in this game. I'm running a wizard, but I think it makes more sense to have a character with spells that all do a certain type of damage? For example, I use magic missile (version that travels thru multiple targets), incinerate (the final rune for that spell-I forget atm), Hydra (giant hydra-last rune as well for that spell), Black hole (with fire damage rune), the "snow glob" spell that slows enemies and increases damage and lastly, blizzard (with rune that increases damage and is active longer)

I guess my question is wouldn't I benefit to trade out the blizzard spell with the meteor spell, since that would likely have fire damage like most of my other spells? Also, I don't currently have anything active that buffs fire damage, but that would apply to any of the above spells that use fire period, right? Seems logical to me but I'm bored at work and wanted to ask.
Mine's an Arcane build with Temporal Flux as its centerpiece, but talking you through it might help you understand some of the synergies which can be achieved with a proper build. I also normally run Glass Cannon, which is a pretty good description of my entire build, but that's okay, because I exclusively duo with my GF's barbie, who tanks and Invigorates me with her Inspiring Presence. ;)

My primary attack is Disintegrate: Intensify. I like it because it fucks shit up, it's easy to spray crowds with it, and I can dole out just enough AP to achieve the damage and/or effect I'm looking for. That last bit is important. Even though Disintegrate is my primary damage dealer, Intensify and Temporal Flux means simply spraying a mob with the beam is incredibly useful, even if I don't train it on them long enough to do significant damage. TF applies an 80% slow effect for 2 seconds to anything grazed by Arcane Damage, and the Intensify rune debuffs mobs by 15% to all Arcane damage for the next 4 seconds.

Arcane, as in damage done not only by the Disintegrate itself, but all of my other skills deal Arcane as well. So a 0.3s spray across a crowd not only effectively immobilizes them while I can move freely, it also softens them up for anything and everything I choose to throw at them after that.

For example, my Arcane Hydra. The 245% Arcane Damage may not seem like much, but they can shoot at mobs off-screen, and the shots they fire have a 10-yard burst radius, so it's especially effective at dealing with crowds, and doubly so when you give that AoE the 80% slow effect from TF. For even more synergistic goodness, the initial spray of Disintegrate not only gave me time to call the hydra unmolested, its Intensify softened them up for the hydra's damage too. Now while the hydra goes to town, I can get back to dancing around all of the slow-mo mobs, erasing them with D:I as I see fit. The AoE slow also makes them very effective at holding back herds of flanking mobs while you stay focused on the main threat.

My tertiary attack is Black Hole: Event Horizon. The main thing I like about it is EH erases all of the stuff that make elites so annoying; walls, lava, arcane lasers, etc. Indeed, that's really my primary use for the skill, but BH makes a pretty effective nuke on its own — especially on enemies who have already been Intensified — and it's got a nice 15-yard AoE. And being Arcane, it procs the slow from the TF and is boosted by Intensify, of course.

Now, that seems like a lot of spenders, which Lima wisely warned against. But really, Disintegrate is the only real spender I have. The hydra costs 15AP, but it lasts for 15s, and does a significant amount of damage over that time; way more than 15AP worth of Disintegrate would do, to be sure. Not to mention the fact that I can still act freely while the hyrda is dealing out all of that death. So a hydra can actually save you a good amount of AP, especially in the more drawn out fights, which are the fights where AP management is the biggest concern anyway.

BH:EH is also a spender, but at 20 AP, it's pretty cheap as far as nukes go, and the cooldown is only 12s, which is also quite manageable, especially if you happen to have any CDR. As the only cooldown I even have though, I don't really feel compelled to seek out CDR in my gear, which is nice, since I can look for other affixes instead. As I said, the skill is mostly just there for elite containment, and I find it perfectly affordable for that role.

I also maintain Magic Weapon: Deflection, as it gives a nice global damage boost, and the shield helps protect me a bit in the more chaotic fights. I usually also run Familiar: Cannoneer (<3 AoE slow), but if I'm gearing up for a particularly big fight, I might swap that out for Energy Armor or something like that. All of these cost AP as well, but even the familiars last at least 10 minutes, so you just need to remember to refresh them after a fight, and maybe right before the big boss, so it's all effectively free AP-wise.

So because of all of the synergy I've built, AP management is generally a non-issue for me, even as a channeler. Most fights simply don't last long enough for me to deplete my initial pool of 108 AP.
I just dinged 70 last night, so my gear is still mostly shit.
That said, there are always fights which drag out, so I do need a reliable method of recovering AP quickly in an emergency. Enter Shock Pulse.

I run the Prodigy passive, which gives you 5 AP every time you cast a signature spell, like Shock Pulse. That procs even if you're alone in the room, so simply holding the X button adds 5*AttackSpeed to your normal AP recovery of 10/s. So if your attack speed is 1.5, holding X for two seconds gives you 15 AP from Prodigy, plus another 20 that you recover through natural healing. That's 35 AP in two seconds; a third of my entire pool, and more than enough to cast any spell in my arsenal. Plus, I'm not just refilling my battery, I'm also spraying damage around the room in the process — both from the Shock Pulse and my AoE-slow familiar — and my hydra is already hammering away with AoE-slow too. No, I'm not actively disintegrating right now, but I certainly haven't stopped dealing damage. In fact, Prodigy alone allows me to refill half my pool in less time it takes for the last dose of Intensify to even wear off.

But it gets even better!! By running the Power Affinity rune on my Shock Pulse, I convert its Electric Damage to Arcane Damage — so it now procs slow and gets boosted by Intensify — and I also recover an additional 2 AP for each enemy hit, and each attack fires three shots. So now my two seconds of "resting" goes from 35 AP to 53 AP, and that's before you add in any APOC or anything like that. This last boost depends on being in a target-rich environment, but if there's nothing left to shoot, there's no hurry to charge my battery anyway.

Now, all of this seems like it's terribly complicated, but it's really only complicated in the build phase. My actual fights are almost stupidly simple. They all begin with a quick spray of D:I, which tenderizes the mobs and gives me time to drop a hydra if the herd seems big enough to warrant it. From there, I just dance around disintegrating stuff, tapping Black Hole when bad stuff happens or Shock Pulse if I run out of juice. Once the fight is over and I've collected my loot, I tap Circle-Triangle to refresh my buffs, and it's on to the next fight. Easy peasy.

For gear, as I said it's shit right now, but obviously I covet Arcane Damage Increase, along with anything else that boosts my overall DPS. I also stay on the lookout for Hydra and Disintegrate DI, naturally. Shock Pulse DI is a nice bonus, but I would never sacrifice for it, because SP is all about AP recovery for me; the damage and slow it does in the process is just a bonus.

HTH :)

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
I'm trying to level up my Witch Doctor as quick as possible by doing the quest a Miner's Gold on T6.

My problem however is that I keep dying while the event is completed and I don't get any XP. I looked at YouTube and did see people talking to the guy and then porting back to town to recieve the reward. But when I try to do the same the quest never completes for me. I'm stuck with hanging around the dude and getting killed.

Anyone know how to do this without losing out on the quest XP by dying all the time?

If you're on PS4, you can tag along with me as I do T5/T6 rift runs. It's pretty good XP.

I don't think I'm ever going to get a better one handed weapon for my wizard than i currently have, I must've burnt more than 2000 blood shards for nothing.

I don't think I'm ever going to get a better one handed weapon for my wizard than i currently have, I must've burnt more than 2000 blood shards for nothing.

That happens. Then one day you'll get two badass drops on 100 of them. Or maybe not. I still haven't. Kadala gives me crap legs when I get them from her.

RoKKeR

Just crafted my first legendary item... "Wall of Bone" shield for Crusader, looks awesome and puts the non-class legendaries I've gotten to use.

Already doing way more in this game at 26 in regards to fun gear than I did running through my WD back at launch.

Just crafted my first legendary item... "Wall of Bone" shield for Crusader, looks awesome and puts the non-class legendaries I've gotten to use.

Already doing way more in this game at 26 in regards to fun gear than I did running through my WD back at launch.

God, Launch was awful. Nothing like getting a legendary wand with STR as it's main stat. The loot system was just asinine over all.

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
So I have the special pre-order wings for the original D3 on my PS3 system and I didn't import my save before starting on my PS4. There is no way to get those wings transferred over without importing that save and losing my current one, correct?

Top Bottom