• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III: Ultimate Evil Edition |OT| Loot has never looked this good before!

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
Alright, thanks. As an aside, haven't gotten a single nemesis kill, I keep tracking another elite pack when they spawn:(

Yes I haven't had a Nemesis show up when I wasn't already juggling an elite pack. I don't survive long. I can almost hear the game laughing at me.

Llyrwenne

Unconfirmed Member
This game is starting to like me. Got this from Kadala last night;
oWmc3Xy.jpg
Then I found the helmet today in one of those Act II deserts from a dead Cultist;
And then these two very close to each other in a Rift;
Trying to roll 3 Sockets on the chest-piece is probably going to take a while though, and the shoulders are stashed for now because they are not a raw stat upgrade from the ones I have now.

Yes I haven't had a Nemesis show up when I wasn't already juggling an elite pack. I don't survive long. I can almost hear the game laughing at me.

Think I've taken down a few Nemesis kills, although grabbed one in a rift earlier and the person I was co-op with was only lvl 67 and got squished despawning him :(

yamo

My hardcore barb is lvl 45 now and i'm up to face Malthael... i'm scared of fucking up! Just to make sure before I go in, bosses are scaled to your character level, right?

Laconic

Banned
Anyone have extra akkhan pants? Been gambling with kadala for more than 10,000 shards with 0 luck. All i see are blackthrone's:(

Its the last piece of the set i need. I have gloves, shoulder, chest, qnd helm that i can trade with if you happen to need.

My psn is Nyc-playa. Add me if you want to trade for something or if you want to gift it. I would really appreciate it :)

I have a pair of pants.

Will send in a bit.

tw1164

My hardcore barb is lvl 45 now and i'm up to face Malthael... i'm scared of fucking up! Just to make sure before I go in, bosses are scaled to your character level, right?

I just played it yesterday w/ a friend and she died. I think she was lvl 46. She's stopped playing Diablo now. I was able kill him just before I died.

yamo

I just played it yesterday w/ a friend and she died. I think she was lvl 46. She's stopped playing Diablo now. I was able kill him just before I died.

Fuuck don't say that... I was just about to go in and now i'm too scared :(

Anyone have some awesome lvl 45 barb gear or some good gems for hardcore mode that you wanna donate to me? I would be super grateful.. I don't wanna do this again! :p

psn: lilljolle

cakely

Hardcore mode is one and done? For real? That's crazy.

You lose your character and everything he was wearing, permanently.

You keep: your gold, anything in your stash, and any artisan upgrades you made. You also keep all paragon xp and levels.

Keep in mind hardcore characters are basically in a completely different database from your normal mode characters, and your stash, gold, and artisan upgrades are tracked separately.

In that regard, it's a little bit like "rogue legacy".

Recently got this on the PS4 and me and my fiance are playing through it.

We are used to D&D and pathfinder and find it a bit surprising that a monk can just use any item. Is there no penalties for a monk uses a large two handed mace or heavy armor?

I just ordered this.. I was thinking of buying Madden but this seems more logical.

Now the wait for it to be delivered.. I've never played any Diablo game so I can't wait!

Any tips for a newcomer? What class first?

yamo

All right, I manned up and killed Malthael! Was super easy in the end and was never close to dying \o/

Now the grind to lvl 70!

ZenaxPure

We are used to D&D and pathfinder and find it a bit surprising that a monk can just use any item. Is there no penalties for a monk uses a large two handed mace or heavy armor?

Not really that kind of game. These kinds of games are centered around stats on items, there isn't even a concept of light or heavy armor, the model changes based on the class using it outside a few specific items. What may be heavy armored looking boots on a barbarian could just be ankle braces on a monk. There is still a bit of flavor to it though, each class has their own unique item types. Monks have daibos and fist weapons for example which no other class can equip.

Anyway, my point is that the game is about finding item combinations that compliment your skill set, the more class/item restrictions you have in a game like this just ends up offering you less freedom.

cakely

All right, I manned up and killed Malthael! Was super easy in the end and was never close to dying \o/

Now the grind to lvl 70!

Gratz! What difficulty did you do it on? The first time I got to Malthael on "Expert", I died, multiple times. I'm thinking I might give it a go on "Hard" when my HC barbarian is ready.

I should not have opened this thread. Never played Diablo before so a friend of mine lent me his Vanilla Diablo 3 and I've gotten to level 19 and having some sort of fun with it so far but looking at all the pictures of peoples loots and shit is making me jelly. I kinda wanna just go buy this edition but I'm gonna wait seeing as how I still don't know how gems and socketing works.

yamo

Gratz! What difficulty did you do it on? The first time I got to Malthael on "Expert", I died, multiple times. I'm thinking I might give it a go on "Hard" when my HC barbarian is ready.
I did it on normal, not taking any risks with my HC character! :p

Paganmoon

Wish you could combine low level legendary materials, or rare materials into level 70 legendary mats, just aint getting enough.
Also thought you needed 5 rift key fragments to go into rifts, so now I've got 30, apparently only 1 is needed?

JerryEveryday

Neo Member
I'll have to do the my HC toon soon as well. I have every achievement but the HC ones. I hate the grind to 70.

Anyhow, did some T4 rifts last night and my 1st legendary potion dropped for me.

has anyone else noticed that changing your skills to elective mode adds additional info? I wish I knew this earlier because a bunch of skills on my WD now seem to have poison in the info pane that wasn't there before.

Ironmang and deathjr you two are my heroes i have accepted all friend req.I will just use one gyrfoot and will send the other back for someone else to use.

Lmk if you two need any gems.

Ridill

Quick question guys! My friend and I recently bought this, and we have been doing online coop together. He came over, and when he logs into it and it says, "No save data has been found. Unless you are trying to import save data from a Playstation 3 system please make sure to link both your "SEN" account and your account from the originating system with your Battle.net account. Otherwise please export your save data from Diablo III, and try again"

My friend has already linked the SEN account with Battle.net...I was under the impression that others and log in locally into their account and drop in...is that not the case?

FracturedZero

Neo Member
Is this a known bug? All my followers lost their stuff :(

I've been wondering the same thing. I had not seen anyone else mention it. It happened to me last week. I was pretty pissed since I had equipped them with legendaries. Didn't even realize it until I took the templar with me and he kept dying every five seconds on a T1 bounty.

Jagxyz

has anyone else noticed that changing your skills to elective mode adds additional info? I wish I knew this earlier because a bunch of skills on my WD now seem to have poison in the info pane that wasn't there before.

Elective mode and detailed descriptions are two different options iirc, you probably turned both on.

Quick question guys! My friend and I recently bought this, and we have been doing online coop together. He came over, and when he logs into it and it says, "No save data has been found. Unless you are trying to import save data from a Playstation 3 system please make sure to link both your "SEN" account and your account from the originating system with your Battle.net account. Otherwise please export your save data from Diablo III, and try again"

My friend has already linked the SEN account with Battle.net...I was under the impression that others and log in locally into their account and drop in...is that not the case?
Linking doesn't really do anything. He needs a copy of his save file from his PS4. Since he has PS+, there should be a copy he can pull from the cloud. Just make sure he manually pushes it back to the cloud when y'all are done playing.

Ogawa-san

Any way to disable or prevent nemesis spawns?

I don't even have people with the game on my friend's list and I keep getting them. I wouldn't mind "free" elites, except that I'm still leveling and they're one or two difficulties above, even before they level up.

Dying to it during HC would be... aggravating.

Raptor

I don't even have people with the game on my friend's list and I keep getting them. I wouldn't mind "free" elites, except that I'm still leveling and they're one or two difficulties above, even before they level up.

Right now on my DH run Im at level 35 and Nemesis is teh only thing that can kill me in one hit, those fuckers...

I didn't had Internet either and them nemesis works anyways, no internet no problem they will fuck you up!!

:(

Voidance

I'm still in need of Tasker and Theo for my WD and a Holy SOJ for my Crusader. I have a FoTF, Hellskull, Mask of Jeram, and other Akkhan pieces to trade if anyone is interested.

hydruxo

All you can do is delay them by going to town and they'll come back later. I don't think there's any other way to prevent them unless you don't mind losing progress on whatever you were doing at that moment. About HC though, I've heard they don't spawn in that. Can anyone else confirm this?

David___

Banned
Just got the Platinum trophy. Would've had it earlier but my hardcore Wizard didn't count towards Dream Team so I had to re-level one in softcore >_<

For Fotf Shotgun build, is there any benefit enchanting the FoTF's fire dmg to holy dmg?

No, but you might get a higher damage roll if you're lucky.

Just got the Platinum trophy. Would've had it earlier but my hardcore Wizard didn't count towards Dream Team so I had to re-level one in softcore >_<

Congrats! I got mine yesterday. Weird about the Wizard, though. I took my hardcore Barbarian to 70 and it counted for the dream team trophy.

h3ro

Just got a Ring of Royal Grandeur from a Horadric cache!

477 STR, 7% attack spd, +2192 life ps, 1827 lph and 153 cold resistance.

My kingdom for some Akkhan drops though, all I have are the boots and shoulders. Just used up 500 shards with Kadala and all I got was yellow and purple drops!

Earlier, there was some debate over exactly how skills like Disintegrate work. I decided to do a little more research, and found a sticky at blizzard.net that explains the mechanics, so I figured I should share what I've learned. As it turns out, the mechanics actually get wildly complicated in very short order, but with some gross oversimplification and idealized examples, I should be able to explain the gist of how it works and more importantly, how you can make it work to your advantage.

Okay, first let's look at a normal attack, so we have something to compare against. The barbarian just got a new sword that always rolls 600 damage, and its attack speed is 1.0. Also, our heros are feeling poorly today, so their CHC is 0% and they don't get any stat bonuses or anything like that. :p

So Barbie does a Frenzy attack, swinging her sword in a 60º arc directly in front of her. It takes a full second for her sword to describe the arc — 60 frames of animation — and the resulting path of the blade looks something like this:
Again, mostly-made-up examples here.
ss4zYFT.png

Barbie rolls for damage and — surprise, surprise — rolls a 600. This is multiplied by the skill modifier of 220%, and the resulting 1320 damage is applied to every single orange mob. Even the poor schmuck off to the right who barely got clipped by the last frame of the animation. The yellow guys are all safe. Pretty straightforward.

Channeling works differently. Rather than being a simple burst of damage like Frenzy, it's supposed to represent a continual transformation of mana in to death. As such, it was decided that a channeling attack should be broken up in to 60 "micro-attacks" — one for each frame of the animation, with damage and AP costs being determined separately for each of the 60 micro-attacks.

The problem is, all of those micro-attacks tend to average out over time, so while the channeling mechanic was cool, there was an awful lot of math being done that generally had no significant effect on the minute-to-minute flow of the battle or its final outcome. As such, it was decided that instead of rolling for damage 60 times per attack, a disintegrator would instead roll for damage and pay AP three times per attack. That's where the earlier confusion came in, I suspect.

So Barbie hands her new sword to the wizard, and he swings it in an identical 60º arc in front of him, only channeling Disintegrate as he does. Now, it was argued that because he's only rolling for damage three times during this attack instead of 60 times, rather than the continuous sweep of damage that Barbie saw, his attack will end up looking more like this (note the arrow indicating movement of the left analog stick during the attack):
eBm5T1w.png

… with damage only being applied to the mobs unfortunate enough to be standing along the red, green, and blue lines. A single mob, in this particular case. However, the point of the rule change wasn't to cause Disintegrate to start sputtering. It was simply to reduce bookkeeping. There's no reason to think that the 57 frames where the wizard didn't roll damage are any more harmless than the 59 frames where Barbie didn't roll any damage. In fact, in the section on critical damage, it explicitly says that damage is applied during every frame of the animation (emphasis mine):

For example at 1 APS with Disintegrate (speed_coef=3) every 20 frames (0.333 seconds), there's one RNG roll for crit. If it does crit, this frame and the subsequent 19 frames deal crit damage.
At 2 APS, the same happens every 10 frames (0.166 seconds). One successful crit roll and the next 9 frames are automatically crit, too.
So clearly, once determined, damage is then applied during all subsequent frames in that segment. Then damage is redetermined and the new damage is applied during all the frames of that segment.

Since damage is applied every frame — just like any other attack — the wizard's attempt to mimic Barbie's attack actually looks more like this:
KXHp8Ao.png

The wizard rolls for damage and spends AP once for each of the three colored wedges, but because each wedge only represents one third of the entire attack, rolled damage and AP costs are all divided by three. So the damage done to anyone touching the red wedge is 600 * 5.11 / 3 = 1022 points. Similarly, since we can't roll anything but 600, anyone touching the green or blue areas also takes 1022 points of damage.
I have no idea what happens to the mob unfortunate enough to be touching two adjacent wedges.
The caster pays 6 AP, three times; at the beginning of each segment.

However, even though the caster is only expending one-third the energy and doing one-third the damage, all affected mobs take full effect from any debuffs associated with the attack, even if they were barely clipped by a single segment. This is no different from the mob who was barely clipped by the barbie's attack taking full knockback or whatever Frenzy does.

As a result, a channeler has a lot of flexibility when it comes to exerting their power. Since attacks are divided in to three phases, you can choose how many phases you want to unleash at a given time. If you only hold the button for 0.3s, you can make an attack that looks like this:
NVYjwpj.png

it will only do 1022 damage, but it only costs 6 AP, and you still apply the full effects of things like Temporal Flux and Intensify. As a bonus, you can move on to something else 0.7s sooner than if you were required to issue a full attack. If you're really in a hurry, you could even issue a 0.1s attack that looked like this:
iHdjYZo.png

It will still cost you the same 6 AP, and it will still do the same 1022 damage with full debuff, but it gives you the option of bailing a little sooner at the cost of affecting fewer mobs. Then again, sometimes there are only a few you need to affect, so there's no point wasting time casting an entire segment on them, since a short pulse does the same job.

Of course, you can also overlap the phases as well. A triple-pass like this one will only cover one-third the area of a full spread, but it applies 3066 damage to those stuck in the white.
n62AYlz.png

You can even do partial overlaps, if you've got someone trying to sneak up along the edge and you need to keep them at bay while you finish off the primary threat:
rkHracv.png

The guys in the yellow will take 2044 damage while the guys in the blue only take 1022, but the blue guys are still slowed for two full seconds by Temporal Flux, buying you a little more time to focus the main pack, or better still, reposition yourself such that the flankers are now behind the main pack rather than alongside it. Now they're no longer a threat, and you can easily spray the entire group at once, including the former flankers at the back. ;)

At this point some of the more clever wizards out there will be thinking that if they're fast enough on the stick, they'll be able to spread a single phase of damage across everyone in a 360º circle around them. However, the game has limited your rotational speed while channeling. If you're facing north and you tap south on the left stick, your toon will basically instantly flip to face south instead. If you're channeling and you perform the same maneuver, you need to wait while the beam slowly sweeps through 180º to face the other direction. So there is a cap on how much you can spread a given dose of damage around. I haven't done any testing to determine what that cap actually is, or whether rotational speed scales with attack speed, but it's entirely possible.

Now, all of this also means that my example about AP management where I claimed that even 3 AP worth of Disintegrate was still a useful amount was incorrect. In fact, with this rule change, you now need a minimum of 6 AP in your pool to avoid a Disintegrate misfire. Still not a lot, but twice what I originally claimed. Sorry if I got anyone killed. lol

tl;dr Yes, this all applies to stuff like Firebats and Temple Rush too. A Disintegrate attack is divided in to three equal segments, each doing 33% damage and spending 33% AP, but WITH FULL DEBUFF EFFECTS. It is your responsibility as the caster to ensure each attack segment hits as many mobs as possible OR YOU ARE WASTING ARCANE POINTS
or saving time
. You can attack with a partial segment, but you still pay the cost and deal the damage of the entire segment. Different types of channels may be divided in to a different number of segments per attack, so when in doubt, look 'em up.

Top Bottom