• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III: Ultimate Evil Edition |OT| Loot has never looked this good before!

dog$

Hates quality gaming
Hi Raptor. I had a very long work week. I'm looking forward to enjoying this weekend.

I mentioned a Wizard build experiment a while ago, and I think I found a good gear and skill set now.

Leoric's hat, Magefist, Fire SOJ, RORG for - Tal's (chest belt amulet), Augild's (shoulder bracer), and now Firebird 3 piece (feet pants source) for the extra revive. Stack Fire% and CDR, toss in EB damage.

Elemental Exposure and Evocation are the mandatory passives.

WOW for EB/Chain Reaction (Fire). Base 56% CDR means EB goes off every 2.6 seconds (obviously Gogok helps here). Black Hole / Spellsteal (Arcane), Frost Nova with longer duration, Diamond Skin with damage shards. Ice Armor (Cold) and Magic Weapon rounds off the six skills. Activate those latter two and just hold the thumb over the four face buttons and watch as everything gets frozen and vortexed and struck by EB constantly, with all kinds of meteors coming down in the meantime. Wreath of Lightning adds the Lightning damage to the mix, and with all the attacks happening so frequently it doesn't take long for the full 20% EE effect to apply. In all, it's vaguely similar to the vanilla CM permafrost build but definitely not for purposes of crowd control. The damage does rack up quickly and having EE apply helps everyone in a group, so that's nice. As a bonus, it's a circus to watch unfold. It has problems with distanced threats, but that's the nature of any melee build.

So is there anything to do with the blood shards besides the mystery merchant? I maxed out and went through using them all on her I hopes to get something cool but got nothing but crap I ended up selling/salvaging.
Allow me to quote myself from earlier in the thread:
3000 shards is a drop in the bucket in the grand scheme of things ... For a week I've been working on getting a better amulet for my DH.... 20000 shards got me nothing which I directly equipped, and it doesn't phase me at all. That's how this game is.
It probably took me another 20K at least to finally get the Tal's amulet I wanted for the previously mentioned Wizard build.

Welcome to Diablo. Enjoy your stay.

stn

So, I'm a noob to this game. Which is funny because I have a lvl. 70 (17) Crusader, and am working on a hardcore Barbarian at the moment. Got some questions though:

1. I want to grab the Arkhan set for my Crusader that everyone is talking about. Where do I get it?

2. My Crusader is T1-capable. Which acts should I grind?

3. What stats should I focus on for a crusader? I have amazing defense but noticed that it takes me forever to kill enemies, I'm just able to out-last them all.

4. What does it mean to re-roll an item?

Like I said, total noob. I survived by holding "A" through-out the whole game, spamming powers randomly, and equipping what I think/thought was the best gear. Please provide as much detail as possible, don't assume I know what you're talking about.

I wish some of you played on 360. :(

So, I'm a noob to this game. Which is funny because I have a lvl. 70 (17) Crusader, and am working on a hardcore Barbarian at the moment. Got some questions though:

1. I want to grab the Arkhan set for my Crusader that everyone is talking about. Where do I get it?

3. What stats should I focus on for a crusader? I have amazing defense but noticed that it takes me forever to kill enemies, I'm just able to out-last them all.

Like I said, total noob. I survived by holding "A" through-out the whole game, spamming powers randomly, and equipping what I think/thought was the best gear. Please provide as much detail as possible, don't assume I know what you're talking about.

1. The Akkhan set, like all other sets are at the mercy of RNG. You might get it as a drop when killing an elite, or you can gamble with Kadala.

2. You can do bounties in Act 1, then do T1 rifts.

3. STR, then VIT

4. You can re-roll one item stat with the Mystic. For example, you can take off Vitality from a weapon and replace it with a socket.
Enchanting is a Diablo III feature introduced in Reaper of Souls. Carried out by the Mystic, it allows players to re-roll one of the properties of a rare, set, or legendary class item for another, possibly better random property. Players are required to pay a gold and material cost to complete the Enchanting process.[1] Enchanting rares takes normal crafting materials like Veiled Crystal, and Death's Breath, but legendaries/set items will require a Fiery Brimstone or Forgotten Soul. Enchanting Legendary jewelry costs no Gold, but takes Gems instead (Imperial quality on level 70).

When enchanting, the player must first choose one property. Enchanting gives the option to choose one of two new stats, or keep the current stat. These new stats are not guaranteed to be better than the current stat, nor are they guaranteed to be different. Even if the player chooses to keep the current stat, the cost of enchanting is deducted from the player's inventory. The chances to roll each stat are not evenly distributed; some affixes are more rare than others.[2]

The process may be repeated ad infinitum, as long as player has the required materials. However, for all but Legendary/Set jewelry items, the gold cost of each enchanting on the same item increases multiplicatively, stacking infinitely. The materials required remain the same. For Legendary/Set jewelry, the costs are the exact same (even the one gem needed), as a compensation for that jewelry generally has more options to roll.

Only one property can be chosen to re-roll, and it cannot be the orange one (special legendary property). Once that property is selected, no other can be re-rolled, even if the original property is restored. Primary properties can be replaced with primary only, and secondary with secondary only.[3]

And as far as improving your Crusader, look at your Skills and Passives, and try to see which ones work well together with your current gear. As for what stats to look for on gear, see here.

Strength, all the way. Equip gear with high strength bonuses or go to the Mystic and try to re-roll for it if you have the gold/resources. Also try to get gear with high chance of Critical Hit chance or increases Critical Hir damage. Basically you want high strength/critical gear with sockets that you'll then socket in high level Rubies (except weapon - socket in the best Emerald you have).

With all that gear and all those gems, use the passive skill that increases your strength based on how many gems you have socketed. With all gear on with socketed gems it can literally blow your DPS into new territory.

My Crusader is sitting at about 1.45 million DPS using the above.

Up to 691k now, managed to get a piece of the Akkhan set drop, guess that's what I should be aiming for now?

4JHsLCl.jpg

Also just got another RoRG drop if anyone has anything they would like to swap up.

3DdLG0y.jpg

Hobbun

Up to 691k now, managed to get a piece of the Akkhan set drop, guess that's what I should be aiming for now?

What kind of build are you aiming at? Akkan's is good for any Crusader build if you are using Akarat's Champion, but if you are doing a Shield Bash build, Roland's is another option.

Very nice on the damage now, btw. What torment level are you running at now?

Also just got another RoRG drop if anyone has anything they would like to swap up.

How have you gotten both of your RoRGs? I am looking for one of these for my Crusader (who is also collecting a set of Akkan's).

I have heard you can only get these in a Horadic cache, and Act I to boot. Is that how you've gotten your rings?

What kind of build are you aiming at? Akkan's is good for any Crusader build if you are using Akarat's Champion, but if you are doing a Shield Bash build, Roland's is another option.

Very nice on the damage now, btw. What torment level are you running at now?

Using Akarat now as have been farming all day and now have 4 pieces, one more for full bonus incl RoRG

Running T4 now quite comfortably.

How have you gotten both of your RoRGs? I am looking for one of these for my Crusader (who is also collecting a set of Akkan's).

I have heard you can only get these in a Horadic cache, and Act I to boot. Is that how you've gotten your rings?

Both were from the cache on Act 1, quite quick to farm really though.

stn

One question regarding gems and sockets. I'm currently equipping a bunch of legendary items that have no sockets in them. What should I do in order to equip items that do have sockets? Thanks.

EDIT: My damage is around 150,000 DPS on Torment 1. Is that too low? I noticed it takes me a while to kill some enemies.

Donos

One question regarding gems and sockets. I'm currently equipping a bunch of legendary items that have no sockets in them. What should I do in order to equip items that do have sockets? Thanks.

EDIT: My damage is around 150,000 DPS on Torment 1. Is that too low? I noticed it takes me a while to kill some enemies.

Legendaries also drop with sockets. You can enchant legendary items at the mystic and try to get a socket for another attribute.

Personally, i would not bother with T1 under 400k-500k dps.

Re-roll for sockets. But if the legendary gear is below level 60-70, don't bother. You should be getting drops to replace them.

858k DPS now and 40.5% crit chance. 4 of 6 pieces of the Akkhan set, but now my Crusader seems to drop to the floor very quickly.

Need to read up on some builds and see what I need to change. Things were fine before I swapped out my gear tbh was hovering around 780k but didn't feel like a glass cannon.

Hobbun

858k DPS now and 40.5% crit chance. 4 of 6 pieces of the Akkhan set, but now my Crusader seems to drop to the floor very quickly.

Need to read up on some builds and see what I need to change. Things were fine before I swapped out my gear tbh was hovering around 780k but didn't feel like a glass cannon.

What is your defense (middle stat-shield) at?

I actually found the same, where I was relatively well originally, as I added more Akkan's pieces, my defense dropped. Honestly, it was something I didn't notice at first. I remember having a defense of 9000k+, and then starting to play yesterday and it was just shy of 6000k.

I couldn't remember where I made the changes that lessened my defense so much, probably where I felt "oh, I'm good defense-wise, so I'll change out "+350 Armor" for something else, or take lower armor numbers in general. It just adds up, or, better put, doesn't add up as much when you do it too much.

Like you, of course I noticed my Crusader dropping much more quickly, where he was tanking much better before. Trying to get my defense back up again, It's around 7400k now, but still not where I want to be.

I actually found the same, where I was relatively well originally, as I added more Akkan's pieces, my defense dropped. Honestly, it was something I didn't notice at first. I remember having a defense of 9000k+, and then starting to play yesterday and it was just shy of 6000k.

I couldn't remember where I made the changes that lessened my defense so much, probably where I felt "oh, I'm good defense-wise, so I'll change out "+350 Armor" for something else, or take lower armor numbers in general. It just adds up, or, better put, doesn't add up as much when you do it too much.

Like you, of course I noticed my Crusader dropping much more quickly, where he was tanking much better before. Trying to get my defense back up again, It's around 7400k now, but still not where I want to be.

I need to check again as I also switched the helm socket to a diamond instead of a ruby and it's stupidly low now, maybe about 6400,

MK5hgKb.jpg

That was previously

quest

Not Banned from OT

This happens to every crusader who runs akkhan set. Your first pieces are almost always not very good with to many junk stats. It is just important to just get the set completed so you can kill a lot faster so you can get more drops to improve each slot. If you are running akkahn 7400k defense is not to far off from where you need to be. I run in the mid 8000k for defense and it is plenty. The key is refining gear to the point of always being in champion with the prophet rune. Once you reach that point you have more than enough toughness for T6 and higher level greater rifts(37-38 with out unity combo). If I wanted to add more toughness I would end up sacrificing a lot of damage which is self defeating. The best way to avoid death is killing fast as possible. Also + armor is basically a near worthless stat for crusader. You have so much natural armor from strength +armor is a drop in the bucket.

Hobbun

I need to check again as I also switched the helm socket to a diamond instead of a ruby and it's stupidly low now, maybe about 6400,

Well, sounds like you ran into (did) the same thing as myself, made small changes here and there that dropped your defense down.

You said you are running around on T4? I would think 6400k is pretty low for that. I am at T3, and even when I raised mine up into the low 6000s (for Defense), I was still dying often enough in Elite fights.

Hate those lasers! That is Arcane resistance, correct?

I'm hoping now, that I raised it to 7400 right before stopping yesterday, I will be ok the next time I play. But will see.

Edit: One thing I just noticed is your healing number is only 31k. Mine is around 76k, so that is probably another reason you are dropping so fast. Or, to those who are much more experienced about this than I am, what kind of healing number should a Crusader have? Maybe mine is too high (i.e. healing could be enchanted for something else).

This happens to every crusader who runs akkhan set. Your first pieces are almost always not very good with to many junk stats. It is just important to just get the set completed so you can kill a lot faster so you can get more drops to improve each slot. If you are running akkahn 7400k defense is not to far off from where you need to be. I run in the mid 8000k for defense and it is plenty. The key is refining gear to the point of always being in champion with the prophet rune. Once you reach that point you have more than enough toughness for T6 and higher level greater rifts(37-38 with out unity combo). If I wanted to add more toughness I would end up sacrificing a lot of damage which is self defeating. The best way to avoid death is killing fast as possible. Also + armor is basically a near worthless stat for crusader. You have so much natural armor from strength +armor is a drop in the bucket.

Ok, thanks for the info.

So it was from adding the Akkan's set. Guess I was just so concentrated on getting the set, I didn't watch my defense number that much when adding pieces.

I do have the full set now, btw. Had 5 pieces (was short on legs), but picked up a RoRG on a bounty run yesterday. So now I can concentrate on getting Akkan pieces with better rolls.

Oh, and my armor is only 7400 right now because I redistributed my Paragon points towards my armor bonus (12% worth). Not sure if that's considered 'cheating' right now with the Paragon armor bonus.

Well, sounds like you ran into (did) the same thing as myself, made small changes here and there that dropped your defense down.

You said you are running around on T4? I would think 6400k is pretty low for that. I am at T3, and even when I raised mine up into the low 6000s (for Defense), I was still dying often enough in Elite fights.

Hate those lasers! That is Arcane resistance, correct?

I'm hoping now, that I raised it to 7400 right before stopping yesterday, I will be ok the next time I play. But will see.

Yeah I was running T4 at 8000k defence fine, but thought to change the gem and it dropped real bad. When I get an arcane fight I switch amulets from Squirts Necklace to Countess Julias Cameo for the secondary ability
Secondary
Prevent all Arcane damage taken and heal yourself for 20–25% of the amount prevented.
it's a godsend just standing in the lasers beating down an elite pack lol

Hobbun

Yeah I was running T4 at 8000k defence fine, but thought to change the gem and it dropped real bad. When I get an arcane fight I switch amulets from Squirts Necklace to Countess Julias Cameo for the secondary ability it's a godsend just standing in the lasers beating down an elite pack lol

Wow, that's pretty awesome. Not worthwhile to keep it on? I really don't want to have to be switching out gear all the time.

Not sure what Squirt's Necklace does. Also, have a Legendary Gem in my amulet slot, right now.

quest

Not Banned from OT
After you find the legs spend blood shards on helm for leorics. It makes getting to the 55.6% cool down so much easier. Getting 23-25% cooldown from 1 spot is a game changer. Adding cooldown from a weapon and you are in the low 30s with just 2 locations. It is a great starting point for the massive cool down requirement for a crusader. Once you get into the mid 40's with cool down you will notice a massive difference. At that point you can use iron skin and unstoppable force to bridge the gap between champion casts. Once you hit the high 40s you can use the cooldown gem to get perm champion if there is good monster density.

Wow, that's pretty awesome. Not worthwhile to keep it on? I really don't want to have to be switching out gear all the time.

Not sure what Squirt's Necklace does. Also, have a Legendary Gem in my amulet slot, right now.

Squirts doesn't have any great abilities, but it's a big dps increase for me with the +crit dmg. Mine wasn't even a good role either.... haven't yet done the reroll.

Hobbun

After you find the legs spend blood shards on helm for leorics. It makes getting to the 55.6% cool down so much easier. Getting 23-25% cooldown from 1 spot is a game changer. Adding cooldown from a weapon and you are in the low 30s with just 2 locations. It is a great starting point for the massive cool down requirement for a crusader. Once you get into the mid 40's with cool down you will notice a massive difference. At that point you can use iron skin and unstoppable force to bridge the gap between champion casts. Once you hit the high 40s you can use the cooldown gem to get perm champion if there is good monster density.

What does Leoric's helm do for you? I got one of those long ago in the campaign mode, but haven't seen one since (even the times I've killed the Skeleton King in bounties).

My base cool down is around 30% right now (for everything) and goes pretty quick. Although my Champion's cool down is around 66%. I have no hard numbers for that, but I timed it and it takes around 30 seconds for Champion to renew.

And I do have a cool down gem right now in my helm, Flawless Royal Diamond (12.5%). Is that the gem you are talking about?

What does Leoric's helm do for you? I got one of those long ago in the campaign mode, but haven't seen one since (even the times I've killed the Skeleton King in bounties).

My base cool down is around 30% right now (for everything) and goes pretty quick. Although my Champion's cool down is around 66%. I have no hard numbers for that, but I timed it and it takes around 30 seconds for Champion to renew.

And I do have a cool down gem right now in my helm, Flawless Royal Diamond (12.5%). Is that the gem you are talking about?

Leorics crown will double the ability of any gem placed in to it, so yeah the gem would be a 25% cool down reduction. Had a lvl70 one in the early days and decided to nuke it..... Ooops!

Hobbun

Squirts doesn't have any great abilities, but it's a big dps increase for me with the +crit dmg. Mine wasn't even a good role either.... haven't yet done the reroll.

How much does your DPS drop when you put on Countess? I know it has three down arrows compared to Squirts, but what does the number drop to?

Honestly, what I probably would do is try to re-enchant that Lightning damage slot for a socket. Then put in an offensive Legendary gem to make up for the DPS loss.

Leorics crown will double the ability of any gem placed in to it, so yeah the gem would be a 25% cool down reduction. Had a lvl70 one in the early days and decided to nuke it..... Ooops!

Oh wow, nice! Will have to find myself one of these. Is the best (only) way by killing the Skeleton King? Haven't seen one yet from on the bounties I've run and killed him.

Sorry about nuking it, you live and learn. I've certainly done similar acts. :)

quest

Not Banned from OT
Oh wow, nice! Will have to find myself one of these. Is the best (only) way by killing the Skeleton King? Haven't seen one yet from on the bounties I've run and killed him.

They drop like a normal legendary. The quickest way to get one is rifts and use blood shards to gamble helms. Hopefully the first will have a way to enchant to end up with str,vit,socket and crit hit chance.

dog$

Hates quality gaming
Leoric's Crown is a standard Legendary as far as the loot table goes. You're just as likely to get it from killing each and every different monster in the game as you are from Kadala* (*her loot table is different in some way which I don't care to look up specifically how). On the subject of that item, I do really like using the LC Wiz set in the game. I just want to get her legendary gems up, but it's rather difficult for me to do solo past the mid 30s.

While using my other pure Firebird's wizard (now at 2020K sheet damage with build buffs applied) and running a grift with Krayzie, I had a Goblin pop up and it actually pooped out a legendary amulet while we were hunting it down.

giTHfAu.gif

Legacy Puzzle Ring: The Gift that Keeps on Giving.

Hobbun

Huh, ok. I guess I guess the RNG has just come into effect as I mentioned before, I haven't seen a LC since picking one up when defeating the Skeleton King in the original story.

Will just need to keep hunting (and gambling) for it.

Donos

another 1000 shards down kadalas throat and nothing except rares (which all were weaker than the one i have). Want a second DH Marauder piece for dat +500 dextery.

and holy shit at running into a goblin pack in a rift with conduit pylon on. christmas!

quest

Not Banned from OT
PSA please back up your game before you accept the patch. As we saw with the failed patch for enchanting costs things don't always work. I just wanted to give everyone a heads up don't want to see anyone lose hard work.

Yeah I was running T4 at 8000k defence fine, but thought to change the gem and it dropped real bad. When I get an arcane fight I switch amulets from Squirts Necklace to Countess Julias Cameo for the secondary ability it's a godsend just standing in the lasers beating down an elite pack lol

I have Countess Julia's Cameo on my Wizard; it is so good to have. There are also different amulets that do the same thing for plague and fire.

Laconic

Banned
Hi Raptor. I had a very long work week. I'm looking forward to enjoying this weekend.

I mentioned a Wizard build experiment a while ago, and I think I found a good gear and skill set now.

Leoric's hat, Magefist, Fire SOJ, RORG for - Tal's (chest belt amulet), Augild's (shoulder bracer), and now Firebird 3 piece (feet pants source) for the extra revive. Stack Fire% and CDR, toss in EB damage.

Elemental Exposure and Evocation are the mandatory passives.

WOW for EB/Chain Reaction (Fire). Base 56% CDR means EB goes off every 2.6 seconds (obviously Gogok helps here). Black Hole / Spellsteal (Arcane), Frost Nova with longer duration, Diamond Skin with damage shards. Ice Armor (Cold) and Magic Weapon rounds off the six skills. Activate those latter two and just hold the thumb over the four face buttons and watch as everything gets frozen and vortexed and struck by EB constantly, with all kinds of meteors coming down in the meantime. Wreath of Lightning adds the Lightning damage to the mix, and with all the attacks happening so frequently it doesn't take long for the full 20% EE effect to apply. In all, it's vaguely similar to the vanilla CM permafrost build but definitely not for purposes of crowd control. The damage does rack up quickly and having EE apply helps everyone in a group, so that's nice. As a bonus, it's a circus to watch unfold. It has problems with distanced threats, but that's the nature of any melee build.

I was running "full" Tal's & Vyr's + 500 int from a couple of Firebird pieces, for a while.

I still do, sometimes.

Blackhole Arcane, MM Fire, Magic Armor for Cold or Lit, depending on what my Templar was rocking - either Thunderfury or Azurewrath, for the fourth elemental proc.

So.Many.Meteors.

How much does your DPS drop when you put on Countess? I know it has three down arrows compared to Squirts, but what does the number drop to?

Honestly, what I probably would do is try to re-enchant that Lightning damage slot for a socket. Then put in an offensive Legendary gem to make up for the DPS loss.

My stats end up as

Squirts - 944k/7222k/31.7k
Countess - 826k/7197k/32.7k

So it's a pretty hefty chunk of DPS I lose, but as I say, it's amazing for arcane pack killing.

Only have the one LG at the moment which gives extra dmg after killing elite packs.

Yeah I did the same sort of thing in Destiny. Had just upgraded a legendary auto rifle all the way to 300, and a better one dropped but without me realising it was doing different damage I just nuked it straight off the bat. Never dropped again!

Crap, sliced open my thumb today. No stitches, but glued and in a splint, so won't be playing any D3 (or any other game for that matter) for a little while.

Ouch, sorry to hear that! Hope it heals quickly for you.

I did a Lvl 27 Grift in 8 minutes, got a Winter Flurry source, Tal Rasha Source, and some crap legendary chest from the rift boss. I also got some gloves suited for a Cold build. Mob density seemed improved from before.

Hobbun

75 for weapons, 25 armour, 100 amulets and 50 for rings

Oh wow, that is quite an increase in price. I wonder why that was done?

Almost doesn't make Kadala a viable venue. Takes too long to build up shards to get a really good run of items.

Edit:Reading on the official forums that getting a Legendary is supposed to be easier now. If that's the case, not so bad. Will need to test for myself.

Almost doesn't make Kadala a viable venue. Takes too long to build up shards to get a really good run of items.

Edit:Reading on the official forums that getting a Legendary is supposed to be easier now. If that's the case, not so bad. Will need to test for myself.

Seems this could be why too. Shards are easier to get now, found a goblin earlier.

http://youtu.be/yb3Hl_OaY9k

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Did they up the blood shard limit? Getting shards more quickly kinda doesn't matter if you're still limited to 500.

HF2014

It is easier. With about 400 shard , bidding on bracers at 25 a pop, i got 2 legendary and 1 ancient!

Top Bottom