• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III: Ultimate Evil Edition |OT| Loot has never looked this good before!

LCGeek

formerly sane
Can someone briefly fill me in on changes since week 3 of Diablo III on PC (May 2012)? I am used to the entire Normal, Nightmare, Hell, and Inferno (broken) for difficulties. No enemies scaled, back then. I understand how the difficulty levels work now, but I don't understand how the enemies scale (from level 1 through 70 and then beyond). Do the enemies just keep getting stronger with level (ending with paragon)? If so, wouldn't the game be one big arms race through to level 70, where you must keep appropriately equipped to handle any given difficulty.

In reference, I played a lot of Diablo II, and the end game was finding the incredibly rare high-end loot (mainly unique items and loot). Interesting loot in that game seemed more skill increase or attack increase driven. In this game, it seems to be mostly stat driven (like Torchlight II is, which I don't mind). What are the end game priorities, other then leveling through paragon levels? Is there a point where you will max stats in paragon (I know it says magic level caps at level 100% = level 100 paragon?). What is the purpose of going beyond level 100 paragon? To handle Torment VI easier? Or will Torment VI always stay difficult? Does loot get better with higher difficulties, or only gold and experience?

Thanks

this is tough. The game is too different and there have been various metas since then that don't apply to this version that much at all. Even the live version of the pc has a different meta than console version though the PTR 2.1 is basically the same in terms of skills, stats and legendaries. Without direct questions I can't really write about things without becoming incoherent. To say the least the Auction House is gone, trading has been nerfed, you have the crusader class, legendaries are useful and drop like crazy, nephalem glory is much different.

You guys don't have greater rifts so we really can't factor that in yet. Greater Rifts will be the most difficult and they scale as you earn the higher ones. So there is a permanent challenge that most of us will likely never max out especially if you play multiple characters.

To explain scaling I will talk about power leveling. Say I'm 70 but my friend is just starting out at level 1, the console also balances this issue out more than pc from what I know. I could have you host a T6 game and basically power level you insanely fast cause it super easy for me while the monsters would be a challenge for you. But by the time my friend would reach about the 60s especially 65 that end game factor you mentioned will start catching up greatly and even I will have start dealing with that difficulty factor. Greater Rifts the difficulty scales even more and the greater rifts go to 100 so there is plenty of challenge if you want it. Getting to 70 is nothing with a little bit of cheese and effort. before blizzard nerfed xp in the pc version you could easily get there in minutes now it's a few hours doing what I mentioned. Post 70 the game still scales and here is estimated difficulty chart to give you an idea of things. Paragon is where the leveling comes in and I'm about to hit 500 which at that point it becomes that much harder to gain levels. You need about 800 paragons to fill in most of the points then it's the two stats that I mentioned. Getting your first 200 and even 400 is pretty easy with a little bit of time here and there.

Most people I know end game want really good set pieces or setups which vary class to class. You still need set bonsus stats and good items rolls are great but without set pieces you aren't going to be doing T4 and beyond all that easily or at all. I got away with getting to about T2 on good rares and legendaries. After that your stats on items, paragon, and having those best in slot items really matter. Most players have not experienced the legendary gems which some are totally op in my experience but it seems that's blizzard intent.

There is lot pc players and consoles players still don't have but I feel blizzard is taking this game in much better direction than launch, and pre console launch. Since ROS they have done a lot changes sans the monk or wizard nerfs to keep players engaged or having fun.

OmegaDL50

The fact its 62gb. He clearly stated the size as being the issue.

The thing is though that was confirmed by Blizzard as being a mislabel of the file size on the PS Store.

Diablo 3: UEE in it's entirety doesn't use anymore then 29GB according to my copy of the game.

The main issue which I think being the problem is that each of the games language packs aren't separate files on their own, but are instead a language plus the game executable as well.

This would have been easily avoid if Blizzard simply did 16GB base game + smaller language pack instead of German + entire game, Spanish + entire game, Portuguese + entire game, etc, etc.

The fact that they are packing the whole game with each language pack is what is causing the reports of these bloated file sizes.

No. Both versions of the game have two different monster densities. The PS4 version closer to the PC with lots of crap going on screen at once with larger enemy groups.

They had to make some concessions with the PS3 port.

This is the biggest reason why no cross-gen online play exists.

thanks..

Now I'm torn even more. I want the PS4 version but my friends will all get the PS3 one.. I'll convince them all to get a PS4 lol

ZenaxPure

Hoooo boy, your info is very outdated and there is so much different that it would take a novel to explain so I will just stick with your specific questions:

-Enemies level up with you, but only to level 70. Enemies do not increase with your paragon level which means that the higher the plvl the better. No one is there yet (and probably never will be), but if you're at like paragon level 100,000 or something crazy you probably have enough points in your primary stat that you will destroy enemies instantly and be mostly immune to damage.

-Interesting loot in D3 reaper of souls is actually neither of the things you mention. The strongest loot now modifies abilities themselves. For example a wand that makes the wizard's explosive blast cast 3 more times each time you use the ability (so the explosive blast rune that makes 3 explosions now makes 12) or the Jade Doctor set where using your soul harvest ability deals DoT damage from locust swarm and haunt immediately instead of over a fix time period, a set that makes the barbarian leap ability now cast their earthquake ability every time you leap (and there is a pair of boots that lets you leap 3 times before the cooldown triggers). It's pretty much all stuff like that which has actually caused some core game issues because abilities without legendary effects are mostly useless on higher difficulties.

-Magic Find is no longer something you can really stack and you no longer get it from leveling up. You increase your loot drops now by going up difficulties (and it scales A LOT. A single rift (random dungeon) on the max difficulty it is very easy to get 4 or 5 legendary items per rift).

-Every stat but your primary stat (str/int/dex) and vit will cap out at paragon level 800. There is no actual cap to paragon now, but after 800 every point can only go into your main stat or vit.

-Endgame priority is to get better loot I guess. The purpose is to have fun (obviously) and to work up the difficulty levels. There is a fairly natural curve to it and unless you have extremely good luck you will progress naturally through the difficulties.

Dredd97

Wasn't expecting the frequent drops to 30fps :/

Which platform?

I've been playing the PS4 version for the last 6 hours and haven't noticed any fps drops at all and if there were any it was no where near 30

I know, it reads like a drive-by thread shit, but I could be wrong...
All indications are both the PS4 and XB1 maintain a good steady 60fps with the occasional drop, but nothing has been reported as being 30fps...

Goteki_45

Getting the game on friday guys for the PS4 and I'm new to the Diablo series..any tips or anything I should be aware of when starting up this bad boy?.

Is there a viable Demon Hunter build between levels 20-60 that doesn't rely on Rapid Fire? I've tried a lot of different builds, and I just can't get my damage output or survivability as good without primarily using that skill. I have to use Preparation/Multishot to refill Hatred/Discipline to keep the damage cannon fueled.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
anyone know how we get our pre order bonuses in game?

i got my blizzard ring from my in town stash but i can't find the rest... thanks!

I know, it reads like a drive-by thread shit, but I could be wrong...
All indications are both the PS4 and XB1 maintain a good steady 60fps with the occasional drop, but nothing has been reported as being 30fps...

he's probably playing last gen

Wallach

anyone know how we get our pre order bonuses in game?

i got my blizzard ring from my in town stash but i can't find the rest... thanks!

he's probably playing last gen

I posted this on the last page, it worked for me on PS4:

Someone shared this tip with me:

If you still don't have your pre-order stuff on PS4, exit D3, then from the home screen go to Settings -> PSN -> Restore Licenses. This fixed my issue next time I launched the game.

So yeah, best lunch break ever, leveled up to level 6 :)

Works like a charm.

DSC_0694.JPG

Is your PS4 connected via an ethernet cable? I wonder if moving up to a faster router would make the difference for me, I don't have the option of directly connecting it.. it seems my current wi-fi makes remote access too slow for me.

Wallach

About to say...Thank goodness. Nearly gave me a heart attack.

Oh and what difficulty should I play on? Is hard actually normal and is normal too easy? Or is hard legit hard and make me wanna tear my nut hairs out?

I started on Expert and it wasn't that bad, kind of high incoming damage at the start before I had any gear worth a crap. I don't think I'd start below Hard or whatever is right below Expert.

I got to play before work. I haven't had an hour go by that fast in a long time. I'm digging the controls. I might restart on a harder mode though. Normal us really easy with the pre-order gear.

OmegaDL50

I got to play before work. I haven't had an hour go by that fast in a long time. I'm digging the controls. I might restart on a harder mode though. Normal us really easy with the pre-order gear.

No need to restart, you can change the difficulty on the fly at any time. Just adjust it til you feel you are getting a challenge you can deal with.

Ok as a complete newcomer to Diablo (never played any on PC), is there a good noob guide?

Gonna buy digital on XBO, not got a clue which class to start with.

Help me GAF!

Gamertag is prettyvacant511 on XBL if anyone wants to add me. UK gaffer, will likely be online after 10pm most nights

Mrbob

About to say...Thank goodness. Nearly gave me a heart attack.

Oh and what difficulty should I play on? Is hard actually normal and is normal too easy? Or is hard legit hard and make me wanna tear my nut hairs out?

Depends on what you want to get too. Finishing the campaign is only the start of the game. Since I have to start from scratch on PS4 I'll be lowering the difficulty to blow through the campaign so I can unlock the real game which is adventure mode.

nowai

Enjoying the crusader, but the audio mix seems really off on the PS4. Punish is especially loud compared to everything else.

Not sure if it's just the crusader skills, but in my many many many hours with the PS3 and PC versions, the effects audio was not this imbalanced.

Honestly never read such a huge over statement in my life lol. The PC version of RoS sold almost 3 million units in the first week it was out. There would absolutely not be some sort of mass quitting on the PC side if you could transfer from PC lol.
You're the same person who said with absolute certainty that the console versions possibly being better than the pc was false and came down to preference to controller. when you didn't mention being able to play the game you bought offline if you so choose, your bias was obvious. With blizzard refusing to ad controller support and an offline option for single player only accounts, progress paragon 400 and higher players not wanting to start from scratch is the only thing keeping console owning PC owners who still play, pc bound.

CanaryRob

Ok as a complete newcomer to Diablo (never played any on PC), is there a good noob guide?

Gonna buy digital on XBO, not got a clue which class to start with.

Help me GAF!

Gamertag is prettyvacant511 on XBL if anyone wants to add me. UK gaffer, will likely be online after 10pm most nights

In almost the same boat (will be buying retail rather than digital). I have played Torchlight (which I loved) so have got some experience of this type of game. But yeah, a good guide on how to start off and how to build a character would be great.

On Xbox One, gamertag: CanaryRob.

Garryk

Woke up at 5:30 this morning to get a solid 30 minutes in. Rolling with my fresh wizard on Expert. Game is so damn smooth on PS4.

Add me for loot:

US PSN: Garryk03

burnfout

Is your PS4 connected via an ethernet cable? I wonder if moving up to a faster router would make the difference for me, I don't have the option of directly connecting it.. it seems my current wi-fi makes remote access too slow for me.

Yeah it's on ethernet. I also have glassfiber 100MB up and down. Remote play always works really awesome.

Even played on my phone-hotspot for a while today, but I used 400 MB data within 10 minutes. Whoops :)

ZenaxPure

You're the same person who said with absolute certainty that the console versions possibly being better than the pc was false and came down to preference to controller. when you didn't mention being able to play the game you bought offline if you so choose, your bias was obvious. With blizzard refusing to ad controller support and an offline option for single player only accounts, progress paragon 400 and higher players not wanting to start from scratch is the only thing keeping console owning PC owners who still play, pc bound.

If you would have actually read my post you'd know I was talking about the actual game, not the dressing it was tied up in (because that is a deep rabbit hole full of even more personal preference related things, not facts). There is nothing in the current version of the console game that makes it objectively better than the PC version, they are pretty much equal now unlike the original versions of the games (same difficulties, same damage values on abilities, same stat ranges for armor and weapons, etc.). It just comes down to the preferences you have about the 2 versions.

There is literally millions of people that don't care about the whole online only thing, as evidenced by the millions of people that bought the PC expansion and play it every day. You're trying to twist facts until they meet your weird image of how everyone wants to play offline and there would be a mass revolt to quit the PC version if you could transfer your characters from it. Honestly I find it hard to take that seriously man. You said most people would quit the game if they could transfer their characters. Do you honestly think that MILLIONS of people would just drop the PC version and go and get the console version? That is nuts man. I doubt a lot of the people even playing on PC have next gen consoles yet even and there is no incentive to buy the 360/ps3 versions when they aren't getting updated.

Like damn, I love the console version of D3 a lot, but let's try to keep things in reality here.

molnizzle

So I played for about an hour last night and was steamrolling the beginning of Act V on Expert.

If I was (comfortably) playing the PS3 version at Master III, what difficulty should I be using for my first run of Act V? Blizz seems to have messed with the difficulties again, I have no idea what they mean now.

I'm sorry if it's been answered already, but I've played the pc version and I'm wondering how spells like Acid Cloud work on console versions. Do you use an analog stick to hover over the enemies you want to hit?

Azlan

Diablo 3 is downloading on my Xbox One at home as I speak. This is going to be a loooong work day. Does anyone know how big the day one patch is?

Top Bottom