• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digiral Foundry: Black Myth: Wukong, a graphical tour de force

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter

Summary incoming PC only...

Can a mod update the thread title to Digital?

Thank you.

- Nanite and Lumen in full use and one of the best examples of it
- No texture pop-ins, but vegetation does not use Nanite, so you will see grass phase in and out of existence
- One of the best looking current-gen games
- Most textures look great but there is the odd texture that looks blurry and stretched
- The game suffers from oversharpening that gives it a crunchy look
- This exacerbates the temporal dithering used by the game, resulting in hair and fur dithering
- This causes flickers around the character
- The game doesn't look as stable in motion as it should
- Lengthy shader compilation process (Over 3 minutes on a Ryzen 7 7800X3D)
- Still shader stutter struggle likely unrelated to shader compilation. They seemed to be cause by the traversal
- Huge frame time spikes that can be repeated when traversing areas. Sometimes, they are sequential and they can spike up to 60ms on a 7800X3D+4090
- It's even worse with full-RT on
- Not as bad as Jedi Survivor but still very distracting
- Alex recommends full-RT on only for the absolute best high-end systems
- The game is INSANELY demanding even with DLSS set to 40% at 4K (864p), a 4090 can dip to the 40s with max setings+full-RT
- Does not recommend the Cinematic preset as it is much too demanding, even for a top-tier system. Recommends High and then increasing the settings accordingly
- Describes the game as "incredible" and the game play as "top-notch", but it's undermined by performance issues
- PS5 analysis forthcoming

Last edited:

Elbereth

“Digiral”

Allow David Cross GIF

I skipped out on a 3rd round of sales for Avatar Pandora, I might as well put this other graphical tour de force in my wish list and skip out on more sales.

dottme

It looks like PS5 pro is needed. It doesn’t look good when they wait so much for a specific version.

Three

- The game suffers from oversharpening that gives it a crunchy look
- This exacerbates the temporal dithering used by the game, resulting in hair and fur dithering
- This causes flickers around the character
- The game doesn't look as stable in motion as it should

So these weren't FSR artifacts and are part of the dithering in the game?

4k? Not even close. Plenty of game's shader pre comp work great.
He’s using the very best CPU with a 4090 right? Then the cost of the rest of the system. Easily in the 4k range new at least the last time I looked at prices. Not really the point tbh as even if it’s $2.5k it’s still ridiculous they can’t fix the stuttering if you want to run the game looking it’s best.

zeroluck

The stutter struggle is real, guess I am upgrading to arrow lake, the only reason I need a new CPU, too bad nobody benchmark stutters, all these useless techtubers.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
He’s using the very best CPU with a 4090 right? Then the cost of the rest of the system. Easily in the 4k range new at least the last time I looked at prices. Not really the point tbh as even if it’s $2.5k it’s still ridiculous they can’t fix the stuttering if you want to run the game looking it’s best.
Ah, gotcha. I thought you were doing the old "must have the most expensive parts" routine that I see many people complain about on PC. Yeah, I don't understand how certain developers games can not stutter, and others do. I hate the old "lazy devs" excuse but I wonder sometimes.

I thought they said they were going to compare it to the reveal. They did not. I want them to talk about how downgraded that wolf boss is.

simpatico

Gold Member
The way this developer has been hiding PS5 footage is some grade A bullshit ...

We're hours away from launch and nobody knows how this thing looks lr runs, aside from 1 really poor quality video
Wasn't there a video posted over the weekend with PS5 gameplay? Looked like they had FSR 2 set to Ultra Performance.

Fbh

Gold Member
I don't know. Maybe I'm just no longer wowed by graphics but nothing in that video looks impressive enough to me for something that doesn't even seem to run all that well on a $1700 GPU

eNT1TY

These are easily the best graphics i have seen by a good margin, i had doubts pre-release but i stand corrected. Too bad im not gonna play it that way on my 9900k @ 5.2ghz and 4070ti system. Blobby shadows and no water caustics for me...

Top Bottom