• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digiral Foundry: Black Myth: Wukong, a graphical tour de force

Black-Myth-Wukong-PC-Tech-Review-A-Graphical-Tour-de-Force-7-23-screenshot.png

Black-Myth-Wukong-PC-Tech-Review-A-Graphical-Tour-de-Force-7-25-screenshot.png
Ray Racing, as HDR, are technologies that you can only tell the real "game changer" difference on high end GPUs on (Ray Tracing case) or screens (on HDR case)...And, anyway, the correlation between price-performance impact/image quality- improvements is not that good. On RT, the only "game changer" improvement i´ve seen is with Path Tracing, which is even more expensive...So, i´d rather take games with more visual improvements using the regular rasterization, and when they find a way to make Path Tracing available to everyone, then focusing on that.

Been playing with the benchmark and this game crushes even very good GPU's if you are trying to push settings. Following the HUB guide, I was able to make my ancient no longer loved by Jensen 3090 hit 60 fps in 4K with RT Medium but the cost is to run at DLSS Ultra Performance (25% resolution scale) which is upscaling 1080p to 2160p.

When watching the benchmark from my normal couch distance from TV, it looks certainly softer than a native image but considering what the game is doing to my 3090 I still consider it a win LOL. I was going to wait for 5090 but honestly no one knows what the release date of that card will be and it's completely playable with VRR this way, especially considering no framegen, those are all real frames.

QW13sv4.jpeg

Note that enabling Full RT settings of any kind completely replaces the software Lumen shadowing, reflections, and global illumination with hardware Path Tracing, so those individual settings don't do anything anymore once you enable Full RT. I tested this myself by changing Shadow Quality to Cinematic, Very High, and High while RT Medium was enabled and got the exact same benchmark results 3 times in a row.

This is one of the only games that exists where Ray Tracing is always enabled, either through software Lumen or hardware Path Tracing. There is no way to make the game use traditional raster techniques for lighting and shadowing unless you force the unsupported DX11 mode with a command line switch.

Last edited:
I was expecting some short (max 6 hours) cheap indie game, with punishing (SOUL's like) gameplay. I thought it would not be my kind of game and if not for the promo code I probably would not play it. But now that I have the game, I have a lot of fun with it. Combat is not punishing like in Souls games and feels more like a God of War type of challenge (you can take quite a few hits and still have a chance to rethink your strategy before you die). The game is a joy to play and pushes the boundaries of next-generation graphics with it's use of PT. Shadows and water look significantly better with PT.

People say the game runs like crap with RT / PT at max settings. Sure, I can't max out the game at 4K native, but with the recommended settings (4K DLSS performance downscaled to my 1440p monitor using DLDSR + FG+ cinematic settings + full rt / path tracing) the game looks amazing and is still a joy to play on my RTX4080S at around 80fps. DLSS3 implementation in this game is pure magic, the game feels more responisve with DLSS3 FG than without it. I tried to run the game with max settings and 4K DLSS quality and I only got 34fps. It was not a good experience, however with FG on the game became absolutely playable. At 1440p DLSSQ, very high settings, fullRT + FG on I can also get over 100fps (112fps in the benchmark). The game is very demanding, but scalable. My only complaint is the image quality, it's way oversharpened. I hope they fix it, but for now I'm using DLDSR (downsampling) because it cleans up the oversharpened look quite a bit, and 4K DLSSP looks far better than 1440p DLSSQ anyway.

3.jpg

2.jpg

1.jpg

Last edited:
You CAN make this game use the Full RT with more modest hardware but again you're gonna be working with some pretty crazy DLSS settings...

NIJMIzR.jpeg

The laptop has a 16:10 panel but as you can see from the black bars the game only support 16:9 so the effective resolution is 1440p. Again, using DLSS Ultra Performance (25% resolution scale) which is effectively 720p upscaled to 1440p. It doesn't look bad at all considering the base rendering resolution but no one is going to mistake it for a native res image even from a casual glance. But it's probably perfectly playable since the laptop has a 165hz G-sync capable panel and again no framegen here so every frame is real.

Would I prefer this over my desktop with a 3090? Obviously not. But considering it's a gaming laptop and a 3070 Laptop is a pretty modest bit of kit, equivalent in performance to a desktop 3060 Ti, getting it to run decently with Full RT at all is noteworthy even though the base res is 720p LOL

Bojji

That is because it is. No FG enabled means low latency mode isn’t enabled, enabling FG enables that as well. Usually they are separate toggles so you can use low latency mode without FG, but not here.

This is fucked up, they hide reflex toggle to make FG seem better than it is, this is not the first game that does that. Reflex is much older than FG and was meant to reduce latency to minimum possible, why the fuck they hide this option when it clearly has to be in place for DLSS3 to even work (reflex is required by NV).

People said that even the Steam deck could run this game, so I was curious how many fps I could get with lower settings without RT. At 1440p native (DLAA) and high settings I get 98fps and the game still looks better than most AAA games out there. With the help of DLSS quality and FG I get 190fps. The game is very demanding at max settings, but it's also very scalable.

aFKP3vq.jpeg

VVBCKiK.jpeg

Last edited:

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
That is because it is. No FG enabled means low latency mode isn’t enabled, enabling FG enables that as well. Usually they are separate toggles so you can use low latency mode without FG, but not here.
So Reflex, a feature that predates FG, gets locked behind it why?

I measured input latency using nvidia geforce experience overlay. At 67fps I have 60ms input lag and with DLSS Frame Generation turned on it's 48ms. The improvement in the input latency was the first thing that I noticed in this game when I turned on the DLSS FG.

Last edited:
It does, but as of now, anything below Very High is broken. So you really can’t use RT unless you have a 4090.
I'm playing the game with fullRT and my fps are smooth as butter, even on the RTX4080S. I used to see some traversal stutters from time to time (nothing game breaking), but now I don't see them anymore at all (maybe the latest patch or windows update fixed it). The game is joy to play with fullRT. Of course, I use FG to get perfectly smooth experience, but since DLSS FG works so well, I don't really care. This particular game is more responsive with FG on (48ms with FG on, 60ms without at 67fps base).

I get 85fps in the built-in benchmark, and 70-110fps during gameplay (performance can dip to around 72-75fps during the boss fight in the water and even then game is playable).

My settings 4K DLSS Performance + Frame Generation, very high settings, fullRT

jwvzq6Z.jpeg

At 1440p DLSS Quality + FG I even get higher framerate 115fps, but I get much better image quality when I downscale (DLDSR2.25x) 4K to my 1440p monitor, therefore I prefer to run the game at 4K.

G5SjnNK.jpeg

Last edited:

Gaiff

I'm playing the game with fullRT and my fps are smooth as butter, even on the RTX4080S. I used to see some traversal stutters from time to time (nothing game breaking), but now I don't see them anymore at all (maybe the latest patch or windows update fixed it). The game is joy to play with fullRT. Of course, I use FG to get perfectly smooth experience, but since DLSS FG works so well, I don't really care.

I get 85fps in the built-in benchmark, and 70-110fps during gameplay (performance can dip to around 72-75fps during the boss fight in the water and even then game is playable).

My settings 4K DLSS Performance + Frame Generation, very high settings, fullRT

At 1440p DLSS Quality + FG I even get higher framerate 115fps, but I get much better image quality when I downscale (DLDSR2.25x) 4K to my 1440p monitor, therefore I prefer to run the game at 4K.
Didn't know the 4080S ran it so well. Good to know.

This particular game is more responsive with FG on (48ms with FG on, 60ms without at 67fps base).

That's a scumbag move from NVIDIA. There is no separate toggle for Reflex. Enabling Frame Generation with DLSS for NVIDIA cards automatically enables Reflex, meaning anyone without a 40-series card gets fucked by higher latency with FG on. There's no reason for it not to be a toggle like it has been for every game.

Didn't know the 4080S ran it so well. Good to know.

That's a scumbag move from NVIDIA. There is no separate toggle for Reflex. Enabling Frame Generation with DLSS for NVIDIA cards automatically enables Reflex, meaning anyone without a 40-series card gets fucked by higher latency with FG on. There's no reason for it not to be a toggle like it has been for every game.
RTX 30 Series cards now support FG? I thought nvidia said these cards were missing some hardware feature to make full use of FG.

There's also FSR FG in this game, so maybe RTX 30 cards use AMD technology instead of DLSS FG.

Gaiff

RTX 30 Series cards now support FG? I thought nvidia said these cards were missing some hardware feature to make full use of FG.

There's also FSR FG in this game, so maybe RTX 30 cards use AMD technology instead of DLSS FG.
30-series cards don’t support DLSS FG. That’s why I said anyone without a 40-series card is fucked. There is FSR FG but it doesn’t have Reflex, so your latency is higher.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Lengthy shader compilation....

My love hate relationship continues with pc gaming.

On the other hand I haven't bought this game. 🤣

Gaiff

Lengthy shader compilation....

My love hate relationship continues with pc gaming.

On the other hand I haven't bought this game. 🤣
"Lengthy" is 1 minute 13 seconds on a 13900K. I imagine it can be up to 2-3 minutes on slower CPUs.

Top Bottom