• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digiral Foundry: Black Myth: Wukong, a graphical tour de force

shamoomoo

PS5 screen:
images
Where is this from?

StereoVsn

Stuttering, other performance issues, saw people reporting crashes. As usuall, don’t buy on release, give a game at least six months (2 years for EA) to get patched up.

I will pick this up for $20-30 at some point. I am done buying badly performing titles at anywhere near full price.

Last edited:

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
Wow the RT looks great, the game just looks way "faker" without it. The foliage specifically in this scene.

If the devs hadn't provided a RT mode and shipped the game with just software lumen, everybody would be wowed by the graphics and pleased by the performance and the reasonable hw requirements. But because the game has steep hw requirements for anyone wanting to play the game in ultra visual fidelity and the difference between RT on and RT off is so easy to see, tons of people are going to skip this game for that reason.

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
That intro sequence and the cloud fight looks insane honestly

I miss those "the way its meant to be played / gameworks" Nvidia effects all those years ago... nearing 10 years now, where we had reactive volumetric smoke / fog

8AtOTmn.gif

OQsb.gif

So many peoples complained that the effects were heavy, at least Nvidia was pushing tech. We barely saw this effect since then.

Last edited:

clarky

Gold Member
Stuttering, other performance issues, saw people reporting crashes. As usuall, don’t buy on release, give a game at least six months (2 years for EA) to get patched up.

I will pick this up for $20-30 at some point. I am done buying badly performing titles at anywhere near full price.

This.

Dragons Dogma 2 was and will be the last game I buy blind at launch.

Three

Which didn’t look good, so caution is warranted. But I fear 720pish resolutions will be the order of the day for the 60fps mode.

That would actually be considered good when you have this to go by:
- The game is INSANELY demanding even with DLSS set to 40% at 4K (864p), a 4090 can dip to the 40s with max setings+full-RT
- Does not recommend the Cinematic preset as it is much too demanding, even for a top-tier system. Recommends High and then increasing the settings accordingly

I suspect occasional dips into the 40s and people trying to make a bigger deal out of it than it really is. You just have to wait a couple of days though until it releases.

I don't know. Maybe I'm just no longer wowed by graphics but nothing in that video looks impressive enough to me for something that doesn't even seem to run all that well on a $1700 GPU

These are easily the best graphics i have seen by a good margin, i had doubts pre-release but i stand corrected. Too bad im not gonna play it that way on my 9900k @ 5.2ghz and 4070ti system. Blobby shadows and no water caustics for me...

welcome origin GIF

DragonNCM

You can read impressions in like 5 hours. Just wait, but we can already kinda know how its gonna be. Super low ress like 720p with shit FSR, artifact galore and frame drops
My PC is at this point useless with my 1660TI & my PS5 will be useless also....GG :messenger_loudly_crying:

DragonNCM

He’s using the very best CPU with a 4090 right? Then the cost of the rest of the system. Easily in the 4k range new at least the last time I looked at prices. Not really the point tbh as even if it’s $2.5k it’s still ridiculous they can’t fix the stuttering if you want to run the game looking it’s best.
Sounds right to me.....4K$ PC for 4K image quality.......perfect combination :messenger_beaming:

If the devs hadn't provided a RT mode and shipped the game with just software lumen, everybody would be wowed by the graphics and pleased by the performance and the reasonable hw requirements. But because the game has steep hw requirements for anyone wanting to play the game in ultra visual fidelity and the difference between RT on and RT off is so easy to see, tons of people are going to skip this game for that reason.

Does this game still have Lumen with RT "off"?

There was a 1 minute long gameplay reveal and the DF crew did an analysis of the limited footage.

That 1 minute of footage is laughable if they expect anyone to get any kind of sense for how the game will truly be on ps5

They probably know tho that gamers are so naiive and hopeful that it would be enough to assuage the fears of the majority of gamers (fools) who own a console and are hyped for the game

That intro sequence and the cloud fight looks insane honestly

I miss those "the way its meant to be played / gameworks" Nvidia effects all those years ago... nearing 10 years now, where we had reactive volumetric smoke / fog

8AtOTmn.gif

OQsb.gif

So many peoples complained that the effects were heavy, at least Nvidia was pushing tech. We barely saw this effect since then.

Rocksteady could improve their broken reputation with a simple 4k/60 patch for this game on the current gen consoles ...but of course that won't happen because Warner Brothers is so greedy they wont be able to see the benefit of doing something for the fans for once!

I detest some of these aaa companies man

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
Rocksteady could improve their broken reputation with a simple 4k/60 patch for this game on the current gen consoles ...but of course that won't happen because Warner Brothers is so greedy they wont be able to see the benefit of doing something for the fans for once!

I detest some of these aaa companies man

Played it for the first time on PC like 1~2 years ago (?) and its mind boggling how well it aged graphically with all settings maxed. A 2015 game. Sometimes it impresses me more than modern ones.

Last edited:

Xdrive05

So I was correct in the benchmark tool thread. It is using the original Unreal Engine 5.0, not the newer, way better iterations that are half again more performant and have Nanite foliage support. That's a massively missed opportunity.

They must have been too deep into the dev cycle to go back and remodel with 5.4.

Looks like I'll just wait for my 5090 before playing this one. It looks incredible with the software Lumen but it seems like Full RT really does look another step above incredible and is worth waiting a few months to play on a 5090

I was curious just how hard this game is on something less than the absolute best of the best (4090) so I tried the free benchmark tool on my gaming laptop with a 3070 Laptop and uh with DLSS set to 25% resolution scale (effective 720p because the laptop has a 1440p panel) I was getting 47 fps LMAO

Yeah I bet this benchmark won't even run good on my gaming desktop with a 3090 wew lads

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
I was curious just how hard this game is on something less than the absolute best of the best (4090) so I tried the free benchmark tool on my gaming laptop with a 3070 Laptop and uh with DLSS set to 25% resolution scale (effective 720p because the laptop has a 1440p panel) I was getting 47 fps LMAO

Yeah I bet this benchmark won't even run good on my gaming desktop with a 3090 wew lads
Just turn down RT and don’t use Cinematic settings and you should be fine. It still looks great at high settings + software Lumen.

The PS5 version looks good on its own, but the PC version is in a different league thanks to Path Tracing and better image quality.

Screenshot-20240820-191543-You-Tube.jpg

SuperDad

Neo Member
I only have a 3070Ti, so I'm torn between PC and PS5. My PS5 is also hooked up to an LG OLED, so there is that.

Luipadre

Gold Member
I only have a 3070Ti, so I'm torn between PC and PS5. My PS5 is also hooked up to an LG OLED, so there is that.

im playing with that card and im getting 60 and above in 1440p DLSS quality and everything on high. Image quality sucks tho, because the game is oversharpened af and it looks bad

This is the first article I've seen which actually explains what the RT settings do

Also it turned out there's a slider you can play with when DLSS is enabled but in reality the fixed resolution scales associated with each DLSS level still apply. So you might think setting it to 40 vs 60 will do something but it actually doesn't, both are still DLSS Quality and resulting resolution is the same so your frame rate won't budge

Last edited:
Top Bottom