• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Digital Foundry] New PS5 Pro GPU details emerge - including a 2.35GHz max boost clock

Radical_3d

I'm kind of hopeful there will be an edge case where they can find a real use for the dual-issue compute. I know it's highly unlikely, but life is based on hopes, right?

No, perhaps not.
I can see that in the PS3 era. When companies tried new things. For what I’ve heard those dual issue computing operations are not suit to graphics and are better for simulation and IA. So you could have a innovative game exclusive for Pro and PS6/nextBox that looked like ass. Fat chance. We’re in the safe generation now.

S0ULZB0URNE

Don’t bother, Sony diehards will only bring up bad Sony ports as the true power of the PS5. Despite other Sony ports like Ghost, Returnal, and Horizon having none of these issues. Or literally every other single game in existence.
They are PS4 games at heart.
The PS5 version of TLOUR is built from the ground up on PS5.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member

I suggest a through listen.
Sony clearly is being modest with its 45% claim.

I don't want to come across as rude because I know intent is hard to get across in type

But I can't listen to this guy for some reason and he has been wrong so many times

Plus I know what people are getting out of the devkits prior to PSSR and its not going from the current PS5 of 10 something TFs to 30+ in brute power

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
What better way to sell a $700 product than to undersell its capabilities? Companies are totally not known to EXAGGERATE in order to boost sales, but honest guy Sony is so concerned about its customers that it does the opposite.

Canadian Lol GIF

Loxus

I'm kind of hopeful there will be an edge case where they can find a real use for the dual-issue compute. I know it's highly unlikely, but life is based on hopes, right?

No, perhaps not.
I would say Dual-Issue is used for AI/ML upscaling and PSSR but who knows. 🤷‍♂️

We'll know everything in November anyway.

Bojji

Gold Member
I don't see PS5 Pro's GPU listed

It's rumored to be 33.5TF so it will be below 7700XT on this list (that compares raster performance).

I suggest a through listen.
Sony clearly is being modest with its 45% claim.

Of course it will be more than that with RT for example. But for normal raster performance, why it should be different?

MLiD is a questionable leaker, he was wrong many times before.

Zathalus

They are PS4 games at heart.
The PS5 version of TLOUR is built from the ground up on PS5.
It’s the exact same engine as Part 2, which runs just fine on a PS4. Returnal is also a PS5 exclusive game. So is Ratchet for the matter, and while that is heavier on PC then your average game, it’s not to the extend of TLOU.

S0ULZB0URNE

I don't want to come across as rude because I know intent is hard to get across in type

But I can't listen to this guy for some reason and he has been wrong so many times

Plus I know what people are getting out of the devkits prior to PSSR and its not going from the current PS5 of 10 something TFs to 30+ in brute power
It's rumored to be 33.5TF so it will be below 7700XT on this list (that compares raster performance).

Of course it will be more than that with RT for example. But for normal raster performance, why it should be different?

MLiD is a questionable leaker, he was wrong many times before.
Nope it's a custom GPU.

You don't have to care for him.
doesn't change him getting some good insight and good insights from actual developers who are guests on his show.
It’s the exact same engine as Part 2, which runs just fine on a PS4. Returnal is also a PS5 exclusive game. So is Ratchet for the matter, and while that is heavier on PC then your average game, it’s not to the extend of TLOU.
This version is built from the ground up on PS5 unlike the various versions of TLOU2.

Zathalus

Nope it's a custom GPU.

doesn't change him getting some good insight and good insights from actual developers who are guests on his show.

This version is built from the ground up on PS5 unlike the various versions of TLOU2.
It’s built on the same game that launched on PS3 with slightly tweaked visuals from Part 2. If they wanted to do a PS4 version it could be done. But even if not, Returnal and Ratchet were PS5 exclusives.

Bojji

Gold Member
Nope it's a custom GPU.

It's custom but raster performance can be directly compared to RDNA2/3.

We know that 6700 is more or less PS5 GPU, you add 45% to that and you land with 6800/7700XT. For sure it will be stronger than those with RT. Plus PSSR is much better in quality than FSR but pure raster power is pretty obvious.

Last edited:

If i remember correctly you said that you heard in term of real performance in games the Pro will be in the ballpark of a 4070 ?

The GPU of the Pro being 45% faster than that of the PS5 in terms of rasterization necessarily in theory this does not seem enough to expect the performance of a 4070 with this figure but it is also true that there are other things to take into account especially in closed hardware like a console so in terms of real performance in game we could maybe have a good surprise.

In any case, very curious to see how the Pro will do on the different games.

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
If i remember correctly you said that you heard in term of real performance in games the Pro will be in the ballpark of a 4070 ?

The GPU of the Pro being 45% faster than that of the PS5 in terms of rasterization necessarily in theory this does not seem enough to expect the performance of a 4070 with this figure but it is also true that there are other things to take into account especially in closed hardware like a console so in terms of real performance in game we could be pleasantly surprised.

In any case, very curious to see how the Pro will do on the different games.
Yes real world performance not brute strength

S0ULZB0URNE

It’s built on the same game that launched on PS3 with slightly tweaked visuals from Part 2. If they wanted to do a PS4 version it could be done. But even if not, Returnal and Ratchet were PS5 exclusives.
Nope built from the ground up on PS5.

Other games I haven't posted and are different situations with different caveats so I won't.
It's a custom GPU, but the 45% figure given by Sony already gives us a clear idea of where rasterization performance will land.

And since its from Sony themselves I would bet money that's a best case scenario
Yet some early examples show more than a improvement of only 45%

We know that 6700 is more or less PS5 GPU, you add 45% to that and you land with 6800/7700XT. For sure it will be stronger than those with RT. Plus PSSR is much better in quality than FSR but pure raster power is pretty obvious.
It's closer to a mix of 7700XT/7800XT but again it's custom so we can not directly compare.

Last edited:

FireFly

Yet some early examples show more than a improvement of only 45%
With any new GPU architecture, it makes sense that there will be titles that show greater improvements than others. But if the average performance improvement was above 45%, then Sony would have provided a higher figure. (At least I can't think of any good reason for Sony misrepresenting the performance improvement to make the Pro seem less impressive than it really is).

S0ULZB0URNE

With any new GPU architecture, it makes sense that there will be titles that show greater improvements than others. But if the average performance improvement was above 45%, then Sony would have provided a higher figure. (At least I can't think of any good reason for Sony misrepresenting the performance improvement to make the Pro seem less impressive than it really is).
As per the video that I posted above...He and a Dev stated Sony can afford to post a worse case scenario for its specs and still have it punch well above it's specs. Because PlayStation has no competition.
No need to drink the marketing cool aid. We can all see it’s pretty much identical in feature set to Part 2.
Koolaid? More like you being on the outside being in denial.

We see it takes "supposed" higher than PS5 specs to run on PC.

FireFly

As per the video that I posted above...He and a Dev stated Sony can afford to post a worse case scenario for its specs and still have it punch well above it's specs. Because PlayStation has no competition.
Their "competition" is the PS5, since they need to convince people that the upgrade is worthwhile. It makes no sense in this context to hold back performance.

(Also I believe the 45% was the expected increase in the developer portal documentation, not the worst case).

ChiefDada

Gold Member
What better way to sell a $700 product than to undersell its capabilities? Companies are totally not known to EXAGGERATE in order to boost sales, but honest guy Sony is so concerned about its customers that it does the opposite.

Canadian Lol GIF

Has nothing to do with any of the above, imo. My guess is Sony needs to keep base PS5 focus for mass consumer appeal and not give too much spotlight on Pro which is the uncontested halo product within the console segment. Comparing to last gen, at $700 we're in uncharted territory from a nominal dollar perspective, even though the value might be equal or most likely even better than the prior gen Pro. I was hoping/expecting they would showcase future games running on Pro but as I thought about it some more, the gap is significant enough to the point where the base PS5 user could potentially be mislead, disheartened by what Sony showcases running on Pro (60fps with fidelity-like graphics, and RT games will create even more divergence) vs what they will get on base PS5. That rarely, if ever, was the case with PS4 Pro, where it was effectively a resolution bump but most games remained under 60fps, therefore when Sony presented games on PS4 Pro, it was the same 30fps.

I expect this could flip once Sony can manage to cut prices, but in the near-term the enthusiast consumers who are interested will be aware of the tech outlets such as DF, NX, and 3rd party developers who can come out to discuss uplifts provided by PS5 Pro on a game by game basis.

S0ULZB0URNE

And we’re back to square one.
Right you are in denial.

0HhV7Q8.jpeg

rNkM6KX.jpeg
v4Ihypm.jpeg

Their "competition" is the PS5, since they need to convince people that the upgrade is worthwhile. It makes no sense in this context to hold back performance.

(Also I believe the 45% was the expected increase in the developer portal documentation, not the worst case).
A worse case 45% advantage over PS5 is worthwhile.
They said it punches well above I agree by looking at the specs and some of the early improvements.

FireFly

They said it punches well above I agree by looking at the specs and some of the early improvements.
There will be a section of people who find a 45% increase underwhelming and would be more impressed by say a 60% increase (or more). So as far as I can see, the logical consequence of what you're saying is that Sony is deliberately making the PS5 Pro seem less impressive, to get less sales.

Last edited:

S0ULZB0URNE

There will be a section of people who find a 45% increase underwhelming and would be more impressed by say a 60% increase (or more). So as far as I can see, the logical consequence of what you're saying is that Sony is deliberately making the PS5 Pro seem less impressive, to get less sales.
I already explained Sony not having competition is giving a worse case scenario as stated by ML and the developer in the video.

I agree with 45% not being high enough but I believe like them that it will be a bigger increase.

Give it time and the comparisons will be made.

Gaiff

UkxGv2N.jpg

PS5 Pro : 56.17fps (45% up) + PSSR + 3x RT + 28% more memory bandwidth
The PS5 Pro will deliver great performance with stricter power limits than PC.
S0ULZB0URNE S0ULZB0URNE right now:
80xpf2flpqtc1.png

Has nothing to do with any of the above, imo. My guess is Sony needs to keep base PS5 focus for mass consumer appeal and not give too much spotlight on Pro which is the uncontested halo product within the console segment.
Makes no sense whatsoever. Whether people buy a Pro or PS5, it's all the same to Sony. It's money in their pockets and more customers. On the contrary, they have a small window to really sell the Pro before the marketing dries out and people more or less forget about it. Underselling its capabilities is against common sense. It's a very pricey product without a disc drive and we're sitting here arguing that Sony is trying not to market it too much and keep it in the background? Come on man. The Pro's reveal video has a ratio of dislikes to likes of 3:1. If Sony could have helped it, they would have done so. You want to present such a product in the best possible light, not hold it back. Unless we believe the entire marketing department is made up of a bunch of morons, assuming they undersold it is nonsensical.

Last edited:
Right you are in denial.

0HhV7Q8.jpeg

rNkM6KX.jpeg
v4Ihypm.jpeg

The reason it punches above its weight is because of PSSR don't be disillusioned about the 45% raster performance that's actually a really good number but it seems people are equating that number as overall performance and that's obviously not the case.

Gaiff

The reason it punches above its weight is because of PSSR don't be disillusioned about the 45% raster performance that's actually a really good number but it seems people are equating that number as overall performance and that's obviously not the case.
PSSR if it's like DLSS can boost frame rates by up to 30% against native if it reconstructs from 1440p. That's an 88% improvement over a base PS5 compounded with the 45% boost for a similar or better image quality. A game running at 40fps on the PS5 at 4K native will run at 75fps on a PS5 Pro using PSSR for a similar image quality. The big problem is that it's quite tough to sell that with shitty compressed video feeds to people watching on a smartphone.

Last edited:

ChiefDada

Gold Member
Makes no sense whatsoever. Whether people buy a Pro or PS5, it's all the same to Sony. It's money in their pockets and more customers. On the contrary, they have a small window to really sell the Pro before the marketing dries out and people more or less forget about it.

Nonsense. The Pro will sell just fine over the long-term and by all indications will provide more longevity going into subsequent gen compared to PS4 Pro.

Underselling its capabilities is against common sense. It's a very pricey product without a disc drive and we're sitting here arguing that Sony is trying not to market it too much and keep it in the background? Come on man.

Again, it's a margin centric product that Sony doesn't have to market. 3rd party outlets will be the messenger, as we have seen so far.

The Pro's reveal video has a ratio of dislikes to likes of 3:1.

Anyone bozo can partake in the results, including those who dont have the means to purchase (therefore wouldn't be in Sony's target demographic) and those who didnt like the style/content of the reveal but will ultimately purchase anyway. TLDR like to dislike ratio literally means nothing.

If Sony could have helped it, they would have done so. You want to present such a product in the best possible light, not hold it back. Unless we believe the entire marketing department is made up of a bunch of morons, assuming they undersold it is nonsensical.

The Pro doesn't need any help; the results will speak for themselves and the media channels whose business it is to report on results will do so. But if you can't see why Sony, at this particular moment, can't be the one to go in detail shouting from mountaintop just how much better PS5 Pro is vs base PS5 then, respectfully, that's on you friend.

FireFly

I already explained Sony not having competition is giving a worse case scenario as stated by ML and the developer in the video.

I agree with 45% not being high enough but I believe like them that it will be a bigger increase.

Give it time and the comparisons will be made.
So I went ahead and listened to the whole segment from MLiD and nowhere does he give a reason for Sony to try to sabotage their launch by misrepresenting the performance improvement. He's giving the lack of competition as the reason for the higher price, but Sony clearly still want to sell as many consoles as they can at that price. In order to do that they should give the highest performance figure that they can justify.

(He also reads a bunch of the early previews that highlight the lack of improvements other than the addition of PSSR to the existing performance modes)

Last edited:

Gaiff

Nonsense. The Pro will sell just fine over the long-term and by all indications will provide more longevity going into subsequent gen compared to PS4 Pro.

Again, it's a margin centric product that Sony doesn't have to market. 3rd party outlets will be the messenger, as we have seen so far.
There's a big difference between them not marketing it and them deliberately sabotaging it.
Anyone bozo can partake in the results, including those who dont have the means to purchase (therefore wouldn't be in Sony's target demographic) and those who didnt like the style/content of the reveal but will ultimately purchase anyway. TLDR like to dislike ratio literally means nothing.
In this particular case, perhaps not because it's aimed at the hardcore crowd anyway. However, the Pro had not been received well following the reveal and I think it'd be disingenuous to pretend otherwise. It only slowly recovered after we saw high-quality videos and comparisons.
The Pro doesn't need any help; the results will speak for themselves and the media channels whose business it is to report on results will do so. But if you can't see why Sony, at this particular moment, can't be the one to go in detail shouting from mountaintop just how much better PS5 Pro is vs base PS5 then, respectfully, that's on you friend.
But we've all seen them attempting to zoom in stills to sell the console. Yet, you're telling me that those same people would then turn around and undersell the 45% better performance when 1. it was told to the devs and 2. it would completely undermine what Cerny was trying to show off. You're postulating that they purposefully self-sabotaged, but we can see that's impossible because they tried their hardest to show the difference in those zoomed photos, something someone who's not trying to sell you a product wouldn't do.

I don't see why we're doing mental gymnastics to justify their screw-up. It's simple. PSSR is a big selling point and combined with the 45% better rasterized performance, we're looking at potentially 88% performance over the regular PS5 for the same image quality. However, this is hard to show in youtube feeds because they're compressed and capped to 60fps. Furthermore, a lot of people watch on their smartphones or tablets where it's even harder to display the difference in image quality. Sony's only other choice was to upload the video in advance so they could have a high-quality 4K HDR feed ready, but this also ran the risk of the video getting leaked before prime time like with GTA VI. They didn't take a chance and opted for a shitty video that suffocated the real differences. That's really it and this is all demonstrable and provable. I don't believe for one second that they would downplay the console's capabilities on purpose, especially not when we saw them in the leaked docs.

Downplaying a halo product's capabilities is so comically counterintuitive I don't even know why we're arguing this.

Last edited:

S0ULZB0URNE

So I went ahead and listened to the whole segment from MLiD and nowhere does he give a reason for Sony to try to sabotage their launch by misrepresenting the performance improvement. He's giving the lack of competition as the reason for the higher price, but Sony clearly still want to sell as many consoles as they can at that price. In order to do that they should give the highest performance figure that they can justify.

(He also reads a bunch of the early previews that highlight the lack of improvements other than the addition of PSSR to the existing performance modes)
He mentioned lack of competition for Sony's modest 45% increase.

ChiefDada

Gold Member
There's a big difference between them not marketing it and them deliberately sabotaging it.

In this particular case, perhaps not because it's aimed at the hardcore crowd anyway. However, the Pro had not been received well following the reveal and I think it'd be disingenuous to pretend otherwise. It only slowly recovered after we saw high-quality videos and comparisons.

But we've all seen them attempting to zoom in stills to sell the console. Yet, you're telling me that those same people would then turn around and undersell the 45% better performance when 1. it was told to the devs and 2. it would completely undermine what Cerny was trying to show off. You're postulating that they purposefully self-sabotaged, but we can see that's impossible because they tried their hardest to show the difference in those zoomed photos, something someone who's not trying to sell you a product wouldn't do.

I don't see why we're doing mental gymnastics to justify their screw-up. It's simple. PSSR is a big selling point and combined with the 45% better rasterized performance, we're looking at potentially 88% performance over the regular PS5 for the same image quality. However, this is hard to show in youtube feeds because they're compressed and capped to 60fps. Furthermore, a lot of people watch on their smartphones or tablets where it's even harder to display the difference in image quality. Sony's only other choice was to upload the video in advance so they could have a high-quality 4K HDR feed ready, but this also ran the risk of the video getting leaked before prime time like with GTA VI. They didn't take a chance and opted for a shitty video that suffocated the real differences. That's really it and this is all demonstrable and provable. I don't believe for one second that they would downplay the console's capabilities on purpose, especially not when we saw them in the leaked docs.

Downplaying a halo product's capabilities is so comically counterintuitive I don't even know why we're arguing this.

Huh? Who is saying they're self-sabotaging? Certainly not me.

We are way past the initial reveal and Sony partners and tech outlets have done their job in going in depth about just how big of a real world leap it truly is. FF7 was a gamechanger in that regard. And there will be plenty more just like that game that will further illustrate the difference. And as a result, I've seen the exact opposite of what you're proclaiming - people who were ranting about the PS5 Pro being unnecessary are now ballerina spinning to buy the console.

Reading the rest of your post, I agree much of what you say to the point I'm not sure what we're arguing about anymore?? To be clear, I'm only saying Sony is underselling because the game footage they've distributed thus far has been capped at 60fps and hides true potential. Also st party developers such as Insomniac haven't yet shown off PS5 Pro new graphics mode. It's a temporary issue, not a permanent one.

Gaiff

Huh? Who is saying they're self-sabotaging? Certainly not me.
S0ulzborne was saying they were being modest with 45%. I'm saying they weren't. It's 45% in rasterization...but there's another 20-30% added by PSSR, and the 2-3x faster RT. I don't think they undersold anything with the specs sheet. I do think they fumbled the reveal.
We are way past the initial reveal and Sony partners and tech outlets have done their job in going in depth about just how big of a real world leap it truly is. FF7 was a gamechanger in that regard. And there will be plenty more just like that game that will further illustrate the difference. And as a result, I've seen the exact opposite of what you're proclaiming - people who were ranting about the PS5 Pro being unnecessary are now ballerina spinning to buy the console.
But I'm saying the initial reveal was junk and that following this, the coverage from tech outlets has been slowly turning the opinions around. We're saying the same thing here.
Reading the rest of your post, I agree much of what you say to the point I'm not sure what we're arguing about anymore?? To be clear, I'm only saying Sony is underselling because the game footage they've distributed thus far has been capped at 60fps and hides true potential. Also st party developers such as Insomniac haven't yet shown off PS5 Pro new graphics mode. It's a temporary issue, not a permanent one.
In that sense, I agree. I was merely laughing at the post saying that Sony undersold the 45% faster rendering. If the Pro could do, say, 60%, Sony would have run with that figure instead. I think 45% is accurate, but it's one piece of the puzzle and perhaps not even the most important one.

Last edited:

RaySoft

You fall in the same trap as many others comparing a console GPU to a PC GPU. You just can't isolate a consoles GPU and compare that part to a PC GPU. A console is greater that the sum of it's parts, while a PC is lower that the sum of it's parts in comparison. Is the PS5 Pro's GPU better than a RTX 4700? No, but can a PS5 Pro compete with a PC with a RTX 4700? Yes. It's obviously easier to design a console with less bottlenecks than a PC. A console is like a normal distributed muscular man, compared to a PC which would be a bodybuilder who skipped legday.

Bojji

Gold Member
You fall in the same trap as many others comparing a console GPU to a PC GPU. You just can't isolate a consoles GPU and compare that part to a PC GPU. A console is greater that the sum of it's parts, while a PC is lower that the sum of it's parts in comparison. Is the PS5 Pro's GPU better than a RTX 4700? No, but can a PS5 Pro compete with a PC with a RTX 4700? Yes. It's obviously easier to design a console with less bottlenecks than a PC. A console is like a normal distributed muscular man, compared to a PC which would be a bodybuilder who skipped legday.

You can see posted above that PS5 performs pretty much like 6700, PC GPU that is few % faster in specs.

So where is this hidden power of a console? So far 9th gen consoles perform almost exactly like their isolated GPUs.

If consoles were punching above their weight every game would perform like the last of us part 1 - dog shit and embarrassing port that ps fanboys love so much. But this game is the exception.

Last edited:
Top Bottom