• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Digital Foundry] New PS5 Pro GPU details emerge - including a 2.35GHz max boost clock

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
No, the closet PC GPU would be the RX 6700 or GeForce 2080.

And yes, you have successfully pointed out one of two games that have a big performance difference vs PS5, vs every other single Sony port, as well as basically every other single game that does not.

Generally known as an extreme outlier.

"The closest equivalent graphics card to PS5 GPU is a Radeon RX 5700, the graphics card comes with 2304 GPU cores, and 9.5 teraflops of GPU performance (Real-world usage). The second closest PS5 equivalent would be a GeForce RTX 2070."

Zathalus

"The closest equivalent graphics card to PS5 GPU is a Radeon RX 5700, the graphics card comes with 2304 GPU cores, and 9.5 teraflops of GPU performance (Real-world usage). The second closest PS5 equivalent would be a GeForce RTX 2070."
Well that obviously wrong, the 5700 is 8 teraflops and the 2070 is only also 8 teraflops. They are both significantly weaker then a PS5 on raw hardware specs. The 5700 doesn’t even support ray tracing.

Last edited:

PaintTinJr

No, the closet PC GPU would be the RX 6700 or GeForce 2080.

And yes, you have successfully pointed out one of two games that have a big performance difference vs PS5, vs every other single Sony port, as well as basically every other single game that does not.

Generally known as an extreme outlier.
But as we saw in the Wu Kong comparison - and I'm only remembering this because I deleted a load of old UE5 early access reading info last week and screen grabs while skim reading - the blurry shots on that PC a closeup with an RX 6700 are using UE5's lumen low res SDF fallback lighting where h/w lighting is disabled completely.

So that the RX6700 with modern games with good ports is neither as performant, and it doing less than half the lighting work of the PS5 per frame - which makes it an inadequate equal when it falls so far short.....well unless 7900XTX and Nvidia cards are considered equal when the XTX uses inferior lighting to keep pace?

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
If that's the case why isn't LoU2, Spiderman 2, Horizon, Demons Souls, and GT7 getting PSSR applied to their Fidelity modes!!?? Would love for someone to explain this.
If I’m not mistaken, those modes in their Fidelity Modes bare hover above 30fps. At best, they can go to 35, but usually, they hang around 30-32, so even the Pro with PSSR won't deliver a locked 60. If you then run PSSR in native res, not only does your 45% advantage in rendering disappear, but you're also basically using DLAA at 4K.
“Pretty much all” is basically two games. Ghost, Horizon, Spider-Man, Returnal, Sackboy, Ratchet, Days Gone, Death Stranding, and Uncharted all perform more or less as you’d expect with no massive 30%-40% gains over PC hardware.
Actually, Rift Apart and Uncharted also run quite a bit better on PS5. Not by 30-40%, but around 15-25%. Uncharted is very close to a 6700 XT on PS5.

But as we saw in the Wu Kong comparison - and I'm only remembering this because I deleted a load of old UE5 early access reading info last week and screen grabs while skim reading - the blurry shots on that PC a closeup with an RX 6700 are using UE5's lumen low res SDF fallback lighting where h/w lighting is disabled completely.

So that the RX6700 with modern games with good ports is neither as performant, and it doing less than half the lighting work of the PS5 per frame - which makes it an inadequate equal when it falls so far short.....well unless 7900XTX and Nvidia cards are considered equal when the XTX uses inferior lighting to keep pace?
The 6700 was also running on Rich's 4700S desktop kit with its gutted (4) PCIe lanes compared to 16 for the desktop Ryzen 3600. Good luck running UE5 games with that bus. However, we all know how disingenuous you are in these discussions, so I have no idea why you keep bothering. Now you're making shit up about the lighting.

No, it's the 2070S for NVIDIA and 6700 for AMD. The 5700/XT are both RDNA GPUs without RT support at that.

Last edited:

Zathalus

No Wukong only falls back from Lumen lighting when setting the graphical differences to low. The difference in graphical quality becomes quite apparent with the game looks completely different. AMD cards struggle with the path tracing setting which is even a step above hardware Lumen, with only the top tier NVIDIA cards able to really use it. It’s certainly not on consoles either. Regular High is equal to PS5 as confirmed by both DF and NxGamer.

Actually, Rift Apart and Uncharted also run quite a bit better on PS5. Not by 30-40%, but around 15-25%. Uncharted is very close to a 6700 XT on PS5.
Yeah but I’d argue that is expected from a port, some difference in performance is expected, such as the PS5 occasionally performing weaker then the 6700 or 2070 Super. TLOU is a clear outlier.

Top Bottom