• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dirt 3 |OT| "If in doubt, flat out"

Label said:
These all look bloody awesome! I cannot wait to go home and try them tonight :D

Do you plan on doing all the cars?
Yes but it takes so long, so doing it in 15 at a time as there is 45 total not including dlc.

Frillen

While DiRT3 is a good game, there's still that lack of actually Rally. Where's the championship mode from the first game? Why are the tracks so short and wide? Why only 4 countries? For DiRT4, give me:

- A Championship Mode/WRC mode where you drive country by country as normal
- Longer tracks (each track should be over 5km)
- Tighter tracks (some of the tracks in this game have roads as wide as the high ways!)

ruxtpin

Banned
Here's another question...

I've considered buying a wheel for the 360. How is the Microsoft branded wheel? I don't really have the money to buy one of those super expensive Fanatec ones.

Frillen said:
While DiRT3 is a good game, there's still that lack of actually Rally. Where's the championship mode from the first game? Why are the tracks so short and wide? Why only 4 countries? For DiRT4, give me:

- A Championship Mode/WRC mode where you drive country by country as normal
- Longer tracks (each track should be over 5km)
- Tighter tracks (some of the tracks in this game have roads as wide as the high ways!)

Seconded.

Trouble

Banned
Is it me, or does Dudebro get stupider as the game goes on? I didn't mind him that much at first, but now in Season 3 I want to murder him.

mclaren777 said:
I'm curious about how long it takes to render and upload videos to Youtube so could somebody please fill in the details?

Platform:
Render time:
Upload time:

Xbox 360
Less than a minute to render (I'd say between 30-45 seconds) for a 30 second or less clip.
About a minute for me.

It's really easy to do from the replays. Its fun uploading them.

You get something like this in about 5 minutes
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_2p3EoGKqs (shameless plug)

Mohonky

I have a real love / hate affair with this game.

I absolutely love the new physics and it's a great game to play; but every time dudebro comes in or I have to endure a dude bro like event I want to throw my controller out the window. I thought I would be able to tolerate small amounts of the gymkhana and the other 'I'm sponsored by DC / Monster so I'm awesome if slightly retarded and knocked about the head abit' events just do my nut in.

Could Codemasters please fuck ALL dude bro shit off and get back to making an actual rally game? Things like Trophy Trucks and Baja are good and mix it up well, but lose the X-Games shit.

Dirt 1 still for me has the best tracks, events and structure. Dirt 2 was a cluster fuck and Dirt 3 is going back in the right direction but I won't be able to handle another Dirt with any dudebro shit in it.

ruxtpin said:
Here's another question...

I've considered buying a wheel for the 360. How is the Microsoft branded wheel? I don't really have the money to buy one of those super expensive Fanatec ones.
I use the MS wheel and in fact the Dirt games are the ones I've had the most fun with the wheel. It works excellent and gives a new dimension to the games. However those wheels are out of production and hard to find, if you find one at your local store or something pick it up.

Remember to give the wheel a chance though, at first it seems more difficult to play like this, but soon you'll get used to it you'll understand the benefit of precise turning.

Yeah, the dudebro stuff actually made sense in the context of Dirt 2. The whole trailer stuff made it more bearable. Now it's just an irritating voice in an abstract menu.

33-Hit-Combo said:
Has anyone had any steering wheel issues?

I have a Logitech Driving Force EX and it doesn't recognise it at all. The official Codemasters forum states it is compatible and some people have had varying results with the same wheel.

Thanks

Bump.

Please, really need help! I really do not want to play this on a pad.

33-Hit-Combo said:
Bump.

Please, really need help! I really do not want to play this on a pad.
PC, PS3, Xbox 360?

If on consoles, I bet you have to wait for a patch. For PC, install the logitech gaming software and try to configure the wheel in there.

saladine1

I think Codies are getting the message loud and clear. No more dudebro!
Hopefully they can take the hint for next time and offer a full blown rally game less Mr.Block's antics.

Mohonky said:
I have a real love / hate affair with this game.

Dirt 1 still for me has the best tracks, events and structure. Dirt 2 was a cluster fuck and Dirt 3 is going back in the right direction but I won't be able to handle another Dirt with any dudebro shit in it.

Yeah I agree with this. Dirt 1 had the best tracks and I felt like I had to risk everything to get 1st place, and I couldn't screw up one bit or I'd hit a tree head on or something. Dirt 3's tracks are way, way too easy and wide. Sometimes in Dirt 1 you barely had space to fit your car in the road, and it felt great navigating through the roads.

Dirt 3 shines in the Rally World Tour. 4 events of 5 races each with rally 100% of the time. It was easily the high moment of the game so far. I absolutely loved it. But it's not enough.

I really love the other race types like Head to Head (Crossover), Rallycross and Raid, and I really enjoyed the variety in Dirt 1. I like there is variety and not only rallying as that can get boring, but I wish they hadn't cut on the rally content to focus more on the other types of events.

Oh, and in Dirt 1 every event felt like it somehow belonged in the whole package, Rallycross events were on rural, twisty, well done tracks. In 3 you're doing Rallycross in the Monaco F1 track and an LA Stadium. In Dirt 2 you were in Shibuya and LA again. It just doesn't feel like these locations belong to the game...

Am I the only one to prefer stages like these to the new 'city' locations?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4EGETFZw4A&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfvc3Lq1U0k
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1M2G1sKuU8s&feature=related

the gymkhana stuff is annoying. wish they would ditch it and yeah they need more damn rally. the courses are way too short!

I know we all want a straight up rally game but wont codemasters argue that the WRC games bomb even in Europe so the demand is not there.

Speaking of WRC, did anyone here get the last version. I know the reviews were not great but how is it for someone who likes straight up rally. Worth getting or not?

And yeah Dirt 1 courses were the best. The rally was intense on that, one mistake and you knew it was a restart. Online rally was much more exciting!

saladine1

kobashi100 said:
the gymkhana stuff is annoying. wish they would ditch it and yeah they need more damn rally. the courses are way too short!

I know we all want a straight up rally game but wont codemasters argue that the WRC games bomb even in Europe so the demand is not there.

And yeah Dirt 1 courses were the best. The rally was intense on that, one mistake and you knew it was a restart. Online rally was much more exciting!
I don't think sales will suffer if Gymkhana was axed.
I mean if they really want to appeal to more people then by all means keep the trucks,buggies,Rally x..etc and even come up with some other offroad events but for the sake of all things sideways,get rid of the stunts and shit!

Dilly

Banned
I do hope they keep the parking lot to mess about in future games.

Sadly, like mentioned before, their rally tracks aren't as good as the tracks in Dirt 1. What's keeping Codemasters from buying the WRC license anyway?

Dilly said:

Sadly, like mentioned before, their rally tracks aren't as good as the tracks in Dirt 1. What's keeping Codemasters from buying the WRC license anyway?

Do they actually want it?

Pretty sure the WRC would tell codemasters that any game would have to represent the sport so all the other stuff has to be ditched. I dont think Codemasters want to go down that route.

Dilly said:

The guys that made WRC last year got it for another 2 more at least, I think. Now as to why Codemasters didn't get the license back then when it was free...

Dilly

Banned
kobashi100 said:
Do they actually want it?

Pretty sure the WRC would tell codemasters that any game would have to represent the sport so all the other stuff has to be ditched. I dont think Codemasters want to go down that route.

Yeah, didn't take that into account.

It would make for some awesome tracks though.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
Well, I get to find out how this runs on my old GTX260. My 560 Ti's fan needs to be repaired. Never a good day for an RMA. I may go back to Dirt 2 (which I am beginning to think I like a little better overall).

WRC 2011 is already in development too, hopefully they can improve on the bad points of WRC 2010 as I did like the game, just looked a bit low res and blurry, became a snooze half way in.

DenogginizerOS said:
Well, I get to find out how this runs on my old GTX260. My 560 Ti's fan needs to be repaired. Never a good day for an RMA. I may go back to Dirt 2 (which I am beginning to think I like a little better overall).
my c2d 2.8 and gtx 260 run this game rather well, it's not a solid 60fps but tons better then the console versions, most things on high/ultra too.

Diablohead said:
WRC 2011 is already in development too, hopefully they can improve on the bad points of WRC 2010 as I did like the game, just looked a bit low res and blurry, became a snooze half way in.

Gameplay is nowhere near the level of Dirt either... I don't have any hopes for this year's version.

Diablohead said:

my c2d 2.8 and gtx 260 run this game rather well, it's not a solid 60fps but tons better then the console versions, most things on high/ultra too.
WRC 2010 never even got a US release. =(

Inkblot said:
Tom Chick reckons Dirt 2 was better, C+

Also, I wonder if it's a simple task to remove the cameras you don't use? So you don't have to cycle through all of them?
Dirt 1 let you do this, but it's Codemasters' MO to slowly strip out features and options from previous games.

See also: being able to turn off every HUD element (Dirt 1 and 2)

See also: race any vehicle on any track in time trial or jam session (Dirt 2)

Mohonky

Played some Dirt 1 tonight just to see if I was seeing it with rose tinted glasses. Definitely am not.

Content wise, it shits all over the last two Dirt games. The tracks are better, the variety is better, the interface is much more slick and the game has next to nil dudebro. Even the use of colours in the tracks themselves with foilage looks more natural.

Dirt 3 certainly has the best technical prowess; the physics feel better, the car inertia feels more involved and the visuals are just amazing over all but the content of the last two games is just all over the place; it's like the series doesn't know what it wants to be any more.

Taking the technical know how of Dirt 3 and mixing it with the content of Dirt 1 would be absolutely perfect. I'm hoping that is the direction Codemasters eventually go with their off road racing games because currently if there is a Dirt 4 or some sort of spin off, if it goes the dude bro path again I won't be getting it. Dirt 3 is the final straw for me on this shit.

Great game technically, an absolute mess on the content. Gimme Dirt 1 like content with Dirt 3 technical aspects and I'll be happy as a pig in shit.

PjotrStroganov said:
PC, PS3, Xbox 360?

If on consoles, I bet you have to wait for a patch. For PC, install the logitech gaming software and try to configure the wheel in there.

PS3. I too assume it'll be patched, was hoping it was a widespread issue that was being addressed though.

I read on their forum that it is compatible, but my console says otherwise...

Thanks

Ballistik

Wow, trying to do the Gymkhana training events in season one when you are barely getting the hang of the game was difficult, and I couldn't get anything more than silver.

Now, I just finished the game and went back and got platinum on all on my first try.

Daigoro

Playing rally with hud and assists off in cockpit view is AMAZING. It sounds, looks, and feels really fucking great. That alone makes the game worth it for me. I like the other stuff too honestly. Head 2 head, rally cross is cool and the gymkhana is fun too. Online seems great so far as well.

The game has some flaws, but it is very fun. And the things it does right, it does really right. Definitly not regretting buying this game.

So I started to really get into the MP with a buddy of mine and omg, this shit is fun as hell.

My complaints are now nonexistent as this is some of the most fun I've had in a while online. No lag whatsoever either.

Feel free to add me on PSN if you guys want to join us.

Did some testing earlier with results that'll help you PC users. Results are @ 1080p with 4x MSAA and everything maxed.

SSAO set to High instead of Ultra, Shadows at High instead of Ultra:

Average FPS = 66.2, Minimum FPS = 55

SSAO set to Ultra, Shadows set to Ultra:

Average FPS = 40.8, Minimum FPS = 34.2

As you can see, Shadows and SSAO at Ultra take a huge FPS hit for almost no image quality difference. SSAO @ Ultra vs High is a very tiny difference. The extra 20-25 FPS is preferable over almost imperceptibly better shadows that you can't notice while rocketing down a bumpy road at 80 MPH.

My game started locking up me after every race. (360 version.)

WTF Codemasters. Fix your shit.

Edit: somehow got it working again... For now

I bought this last week for PC and it's been very fun so far. I've never really played any rally games and started out on Casual but quickly switched to Intermediate, which is a nice challenge and actually feels like you have to do something. It runs very nicely on High and looks great. It locked up on a loading screen once so far, I hope it stays stable.

Did you guys see the 'Dirt' game shown for the WiiU during Nintendo's conference? My guess is it'll be a mashup of different Dirt games.

Klocker

is it just me or are the tracks more realistic and free flowing (and longer) in Dirt 2? Also the car feels oddly twitchy and disconnected from the road (except when hitting bumps). in fact in Trailblazer on some of the downhill tracks it feels more like Wipeout, with trees.

and Gymkana... hate the events.. thinking of going back to dirt 2 again.

Multiplayer the control feels like tits though... lot of fun in the party mode

Top Bottom