• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dirt 3 |OT| "If in doubt, flat out"

Bebpo

Banned
Going slowly through this. Just finished up Season 2. The daytime Michigan rally track is stellar. The LA rally cross stadium track for some reason looks less graphically impressive than the Long Beach one in Dirt 2. I think it's the lighting.

Are there any PC mods to remove the dumb widescreen look in replays so you can do a pseudo-photo mode with fraps? The lack of photo mode is really really lame in this game since it's such a looker and I love digital photography in games.

1-D_FTW

Neuromancer said:
Did you guys see the 'Dirt' game shown for the WiiU during Nintendo's conference? My guess is it'll be a mashup of different Dirt games.

Or maybe Dirt 4? Seems like they just randomly grabbed some footage because I didn't spot anything that wasn't exclusively Dirt 2.

Sethos

Banned
Everything shown in the Wii U trailer looked like DiRT 2, I recall all the levels but I'm not 100% sure on the Subaru, so looks like a retrofitted DiRT 2 perhaps, few liveries and whatnot.

Sethos said:
Everything shown in the Wii U trailer looked like DiRT 2, I recall all the levels but I'm not 100% sure on the Subaru, so looks like a retrofitted DiRT 2 perhaps, few liveries and whatnot.
It was 100% dirt 2, most likely just a trailer filler for the wii u, nothing more.

The gaiden 3 trailer was 100% of the xbox/ps3 one too.

Daigoro said:
two new achievements out. just waiting on the DLC.

New Wheels 30
Drive all of the cars from the Power and Glory Car Pack

Service History 20
Win a DIRT Tour event in a car from the Power and Glory Car Pack using a custom setup

looks like we have some Monte Carlo rally stages coming up in some DLC as well.

http://community.codemasters.com/fo...sion-1339/466432-dlc-montecarlo-captures.html
Awesome new cars, i'll buy anything dirt lol.

Ballistik

This sucks. I got a "profile is corrupt" on my 360 when I try to load my game save. I have it saved on my memory stick and all I did was play split screen on another xbox yesterday.

jlevel13

Just stopping in to dump on this game a little more... mainly to say the Monaco tracks in this game are truly shit awful.

It's such a frustrating game because there are a lot of things it does perfectly for me, the graphics and the handling in particular, but the things it does wrong, are impossible to overlook. I've only been playing online in the hardcore playlist (a great idea), and I feel like I've almost got my money's worth out of this thing, but damn - it really could have used more tracks and some longer tracks - I'm surprised how quickly things in this game really start to feel stale (and I've only just hit level 17).

Question: what do the little symbols (red, yellow, green and white/silver) mean next to people's names online - at first I thought it was connection quality, but now I'm thinking it means how clean a racer they are? but I don't know...

jlevel13 said:
Just stopping in to dump on this game a little more... mainly to say the Monaco tracks in this game are truly shit awful.
Agreed, they should not have been in this game and saved for Grid 2 instead, along with Gymkhana.

Also word over on the official forum is the new Ego engine can't handle longer tracks. I don't know why that would be the case but that's what I'm hearing. It's a real shame.

I don't play online so sorry, can't help you with the colored symbols.

C-Jo

This game is so much fun at times, but there's just so much that I absolutely loathe about it. These Gymkhana Attack challenges are just about the worst shit on earth.

Klocker

C-Jo said:
This game is so much fun at times, but there's just so much that I absolutely loathe about it. These Gymkhana Attack challenges are just about the worst shit on earth.

yep on the triangle that was full of Gymkhana, I just put the disc back in the box and took it to Gamestop for a trade in

Daigoro

Neuromancer said:
Agreed, they should not have been in this game and saved for Grid 2 instead, along with Gymkhana.

Also word over on the official forum is the new Ego engine can't handle longer tracks. I don't know why that would be the case but that's what I'm hearing. It's a real shame.

I don't play online so sorry, can't help you with the colored symbols.

have people not tried Time Attack, or are those tracks not long enough either?

the tracks in Single Player Time Attack are a lot longer than the normal tracks in the career mode (whatever its called) from what ive played.

Shaneus

I don't get how an engine couldn't handle a lengthy track. Surely anything straining that isn't shown on screen could just be streamed/buffered?

C-Jo

Klocker said:
yep on the triangle that was full of Gymkhana, I just put the disc back in the box and took it to Gamestop for a trade in
I don't even have that much of a problem with regular Gymkhana. It's kind of dumb, and probably shouldn't be in the game, but I can deal with it. Gymkhana attack specifically can fuck right off.

Daigoro said:
have people not tried Time Attack, or are those tracks not long enough either?

the tracks in Single Player Time Attack are a lot longer than the normal tracks in the career mode (whatever its called) from what ive played.
Time trial tracks should be the same tracks from the Dirt Tour career mode. Some tracks are longer than others I'll admit but nothing in this game is as long as the two hill climbs from Dirt 1. Probably not half as long.

Shaneus said:
I don't get how an engine couldn't handle a lengthy track. Surely anything straining that isn't shown on screen could just be streamed/buffered?
Yeah I don't know, I'm not a programmer or anything. Still you have to admit the tracks are damn short in this game and one has to wonder why. Could just be a design issue.

C-Jo

Neuromancer said:
Time trial tracks should be the same tracks from the Dirt Tour career mode. Some tracks are longer than others I'll admit but nothing in this game is as long as the two hill climbs from Dirt 1. Probably not half as long.
That's probably my biggest issue with the game overall. The driving model is excellent, but most times, it just feels like rally lite. I know that the WRC isn't what it once was, but damn if I don't miss Colin McRae 2.0 and how that was structured.

Daigoro

Neuromancer said:

the tracks in Tour seem like just snippets of the more full tracks from Time Attack. someone correct me if im wrong, ive only played a few, but they seem to be at least twice as long as the normal tracks in Tour (from what ive seen. im in the middle of season 4 now). check them out.

Daigoro said:
the tracks in Tour seem like just snippets of the more full tracks from Time Attack. someone correct me if im wrong, ive only played a few, but they seem to be at least twice as long as the normal tracks in Tour (from what ive seen. im in the middle of season 4 now). check them out.
I don't think that's true at all, I've beaten all seasons and played a fair amount of time trials and single races.

Inkblot

Just wanted to say, I love the Gymkhana stuff, and I love the weird multiplayer modes, it's a well done, original addition that provides a flavor and talking point to what would otherwise be a pretty dry rally game

But maybe it should've been split into it's own game since you guys seem to hate it so much

I hate hate hate the Gymkhana events. I've been playing this game on and off, actually switching between Dirt 1, 2, and 3, so I wasn't sure - can you just skip the Gymkhana stuff or will you end up hurting your ability of unlock new events?

And by the way, even though it's visuals have aged a bit, the original Dirt is still my favorite.

DidntKnowJack said:
I hate hate hate the Gymkhana events. I've been playing this game on and off, actually switching between Dirt 1, 2, and 3, so I wasn't sure - can you just skip the Gymkhana stuff or will you end up hurting your ability of unlock new events?

And by the way, even though it's visuals have aged a bit, the original Dirt is still my favorite.
I think you can probably skip them, I suffered through them for the sake of completion (got a lot of bronze medals) but I don't think you have to after that initial Gymkhana Academy event.

I agree, Dirt 1 is still king.

sneaky77

Inkblot said:
Just wanted to say, I love the Gymkhana stuff, and I love the weird multiplayer modes, it's a well done, original addition that provides a flavor and talking point to what would otherwise be a pretty dry rally game

But maybe it should've been split into it's own game since you guys seem to hate it so much

I think it should have just been taking out of the dirt tour. Other than that I have no problem with the game having a gymkhana mode

OXM preview of the Monte Carlo DLC, due out June 28:

"The Monte Carlo stages have been designed with real rally fans in mind," explained Senior Game Designer Paul Coleman. "We knew that by making the Monte Carlo stages additional content we could really do it justice by increasing the difficulty. We made the narrow mountain roads tight and twisty to really enhance the feeling of danger."

Having played it, we can certainly vouch for the exquisite terror of lobbing a snorting rally car around corners that feature a sheer drop at one side and a (literally) rock-solid cliff face on the other. And while these are tarmac stages, there's a liberal dusting of snow and ice, making it eminently easy to bin your car against any of the numerous solid obstacles littering the course.

As if that wasn't enough, the DLC pack includes a new Foggy weather option, to provide added danger for DiRT 3's more talented rally nutters. "With the introduction of the Foggy weather condition the rally cars - from the iconic Mini Cooper to the legendary Audi Quattro - become a real challenge to wrestle through these narrow stages," Coleman explained.

These stages are the most authentic you'll find in the game, based closely on the routes between Alpine villages that make up the Monte. "The technical mountain roads and slushy ice surfaces are the closest DiRT 3 stages to their real life counterparts," confirms Coleman. Followers of the sport will instantly recognise stage names that have featured in the event for years.

Sounds fucking awesome.

legbone

so, dlc is supposed to be weekly, right? i wish they did an online pass thing like rockstar did with la noire. i'm going to be getting most of the dlc for this. i skipped the unlock all cars dlc from last week though. anyone know what is supposed to be out this week? (sorry if it has been posted, but i am at work and in a hurry)

legbone said:
so, dlc is supposed to be weekly, right? i wish they did an online pass thing like rockstar did with la noire. i'm going to be getting most of the dlc for this. i skipped the unlock all cars dlc from last week though. anyone know what is supposed to be out this week? (sorry if it has been posted, but i am at work and in a hurry)
Some cars I think, nothing I'm interested in.

legbone

Neuromancer said:
Some cars I think, nothing I'm interested in.

cool. thanks for the info. hopefully the dlc includes my beloved lancia stratos!!

edit:

looks like i found it. correct me if i am wrong. it is the power and glory pack and includes the following:

bmw m3 rally
chevrolet camaro ssx concept (snowboarding!!! he he)
ford focus st rallycross
lancia delta s4
scion tc

no stratos. oh well the delta s4 will do for now.

TheOddOne

So I got this game, but never played the series before. Enjoying it, but the bro comments are really annoying. The rest of the game is pretty awesome so far, I suck at Gymkhana though.

TheOddOne said:
So I got this game, but never played the series before. Enjoying it, but the bro comments are really annoying. The rest of the game is pretty awesome so far, I suck at Gymkhana though.
Gymkhana without assists is pretty damn rough. Having a very hard time trying to donut around things on purpose with the controller. Seems like you have to have an zen-impossible level of throttle control.

TheOddOne

NullPointer said:
Gymkhana without assists is pretty damn rough. Having a very hard time trying to donut around things on purpose with the controller. Seems like you have to have an zen-impossible level of throttle control.
Yeah, one of these days though... I will master it.

Watevaman

Only assist I'm running is ABS (don't even know if I need it in this game) and it's not that much trouble to do any Gymkhana stuff. The only problems are problems like coming in too fast, which isn't something that assists would help. Just keep practicing and you'll get better. I'm far from perfect but it's still really fun.

And sorry for this little off-topic, but does anyone know if you can buy Richard Burns Rally for download anywhere? I have a real urge to play it, but there are only boxed copies.

Daigoro

Monte Carlo sounds brilliant. when's it coming out?

and what was the unlock all cars DLC? just a crappy unlock key for cars that you would unlock by just playing through the game?

delume

This game will forever be linked with E3 2011 for me. Picked a copy up just before it started and played it while watching press conferences, F5ing GAF, and listening marathon Bombcasts. DiRT 3 is beautiful and deeply satisfying to play. Don't be put off by the dude-bro talk, the content is rock solid. Sliding around corners or the puckering you feel when blasting through a narrow piece of track is spot on. The Gymkhana stuff adds some nice car control challenges. This game had a few moments and tracks that gave me the same feeling Rallisport Challenge 2 gave me back in the day. So good.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Well guys, after waiting for what seems like an eternity, I *FINALLY* started playing DIRT 3 yesterday, and it's a very good game so far!

I'm on Season 2 of the Dirt tour and playing on PC. Oddly enough, I have NOT had the game freeze/crash on me....yet. But given all the complaints I fully expect this to happen soon lol.

Anyway, I'm using an ECCI 7000 FFB wheel and CST pedals, no driving aids and difficulty set to "4". With this setup, I'm finding the drift-specific(not GymKhana) events to be sort of a pain in the ass to get gold on. I mean jeez, the drift physics are cool but they're unpredictable. I *BARELY* managed to scrape by with a Gold in Kenya but man, what a nightmare.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Got my 1st Plat in the GymKahana Sprint 1. Geez talk about a royal PITA!

I'm most of the way through season 3 in tour mode and have platinum'd and got 1st in every event so far and am thoroughly enjoying the game. I am level 28 in my multiplayer career and tend to play it nightly with the same group of friends - and we have all noticed at this point, two things.

One, trailblazer is shit. I want to like it, the idea of superfast cars on new/different tracks than regular Rally is appealing - however what results is in fact, tracks that are too long, cars that handle too easily and overall a boring experience. The only excitement tends to be when someone destroys their car late in the race.

Two, damage model is awful. There are multiple types of fences, signs, lights and shrubs that you can power through without issue. Then there are magical posts, free standing signs, chainlink fences, white rocks in Kenya, and shrubs made of titanium that will rip your car apart. Granted the idea is to avoid any of these, but it's ridiculous having a random death or major crash because of some tiny free standing sign that looks harmless.

That said, ridiculously fun game. The variety of cars is awesome, tracks are great and multiplayer is only missing replays or else it would be perfect. I'm hoping they can do something to spice up rally cross - at the moment it's a race to be first out of the first few corners and leave everyone else slamming into each other as much as possible.

Also, the only way to play this game is forced helmet cam, forced manual, driving assists off. So many people hate it - but the game is far too easy any other way.

Daigoro said:
Monte Carlo sounds brilliant. when's it coming out?

and what was the unlock all cars DLC? just a crappy unlock key for cars that you would unlock by just playing through the game?
End of the month (I want to say the 28th) and yes there are one or two cheat code unlocks, they did the same exact thing for Dirt 2. In addition though there is one or two car packs they're selling that you don't get in game.

zlatko

Banned
Cracked and bought it. This will be my first racing game bought this entire generation... and I actually don't think I bought one last gen either.

Downloading off steam as we speak. Hope I don't regret it. :(

zlatko

Banned
Having some technical issues with the game. I can't naturally run it in full screen mode, so I googled it up and it says to just hit Alt + enter. Did that, and it makes it full screen, but then the colors get super fucked up. Like the sun at the main menu is just a giant red ball that looks really bad. I tried to change graphics settings and that didn't help at all.

Help? :(

Edit: Resolved the issue and was able to play for a few hours. Had fun with the early race stuff and was super pissed off when the Gymkhana shit came up. Is there a reason why none of it is explained on how to do it properly? It just assumes I should know how to drift and spin like a pro? I have no clue how to spin... I couldn't even get a bronze in it. I tried to hold down B to ebrake and then hold down the acceleration at the same time but that doesn't seem to be how to do it. Got flustered and said fuck it for now.

Is there anyway to play the games awesome music DURING these races and khana events? Seems like a weird design choice to not let me listen to the great audio to help set a fun mood to race to, because android lady, jibberish yelling fans, and the sounds of racing gets pretty old pretty fast. :(

TheOddOne

Watevaman said:
Only assist I'm running is ABS (don't even know if I need it in this game) and it's not that much trouble to do any Gymkhana stuff. The only problems are problems like coming in too fast, which isn't something that assists would help. Just keep practicing and you'll get better. I'm far from perfect but it's still really fun.

And sorry for this little off-topic, but does anyone know if you can buy Richard Burns Rally for download anywhere? I have a real urge to play it, but there are only boxed copies.
Ironically without assist I do better. Strange.

Top Bottom