• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Divinity: Original Sin |OT| Sandbox RPG. Co-Op friendly. Bread.

JambiBum

I doubt we'll finish, but I'd like to atleast finish the first map. If it comes to it I'll see if I can snag the save file we're using and continue on my own.

Thing is I think I'm having a lot more fun co-op than I'd in normal. Having two people try to figure out a quest etc is nice, and the dialogue trees you get between each other is fun.
I have the same issue and it is driving me insane. I'm probably going to start my own play through as well

Leezard

Manoch casted Blood Rain. Two of my guys have Leech. lol.

Also, where is the Imp that pushed Frederick?

Leech is so good. One of the best talents.

The imp is near the cliff above/to the right of Frederick. There is a stone that hides a hatch. there near a large tree.

Spookie

Anyone else get the feeling they need to scour the entire map incase they miss something? I'm going through zones committing genocide on the local mobs, to make sure I don't miss the quests. :D

Also for anyone who gets to the elemental map
and goes to the prison: Destroy the iron maiden. You'll thank me later. ;D

I have a 3 melee party so I positioned my tank in the middle of the doorway and the other two right by the door. My wizard would stand in cover away from the doorway. I also summoned a skelly to eat up more space/attract attention although that might be a little tough to sneak in early since you're likely AP starved after the first turn. So I'd get 2-3 guys jumping in and usually attacking my melee (blocking out everyone else) which was more manageable. They would spend more of their movement running around than attacking me.

I'm gonna try to replicate this, thanks. Got two knights, a rogue/archer, and a wizard packing more than a few summon spells, one of them should do the trick. I just need to make sure I have the doorway blocked enough that my mage and archer will be safe. Although...

Manoch casted Blood Rain. Two of my guys have Leech. lol.

Goddamn, I am not going another playthrough without Leech, haha. Knew my knights should've taken this trait on my last level-up.

Also for anyone who gets to the elemental map
and goes to the prison: Destroy the iron maiden. You'll thank me later. ;D

Hibenheim? Explain. I've been there.

Leech is so good. One of the best talents.

The imp is near the cliff above/to the right of Frederick. There is a stone that hides a hatch. there near a large tree.

Found it.

New problem:
How do I get in the locked lab? I've been everywhere in the cave.

Durante

You don't. Once you unlock a talent that's pretty much it.

Unless you mean skills?
15 for atributes, 5 for skills.
It's abilities, not skills :p
There's attributes, talents, abilities and skills. Skills are what you put on the hotbar.

I wonder how many people can finish a 50-80 hour RPG in coop, I sure never would
I think it took us at least that long to finish Icewind dale with both expansions. This will probably take longer.

Zakalwe

Banned
Oddly enough, I think the UI is pretty bad in Original Sin, while I enjoyed it much more in most of the older CRPGs.

I dub thee insane.

-

Full week of work then busy weekend. There's just not going to be room for sleeping when I have this game to finish.

Tenrius

One of my least favorite aspects of the UI is how you always have to scroll the camera manually. Why can't I just click on the map and move the camera to whenever I clicked?

badb0y

Bought it and love it so far. I have never played a game like this before.

The combat is just so fucking good. Literally, anything is possible in any given combat sequence.

My only issue with it is pacing but that's a personal issue of mine since I pretty much grew up on action based gaming. I didn't play many strategy games besides stuff like Age of Empires.

I'm hoping there's more to the Knight classes then there is currently (I'm only lvl 3), as there doesn't seem to be many skills/abilities to use.

Ugh, guys :( Going on holiday today, really looking forward to the break and all the stuff we've got played for the kid but man....5 days away form Divinity, I did not foresee this problem before launch haha. And I've only really just started exploring the second map.

Zakalwe

Banned
Immunity to Slipping - Any Shoe + Nine Inch Nails

I figured out this way to late too... :p

If this is real I love you. Just about to get to the part that this bit of info could change my life.

I'm hoping there's more to the Knight classes then there is currently (I'm only lvl 3), as there doesn't seem to be many skills/abilities to use.

Yeh, be patient. Man at arms has some really great moves. One of the strongest heals, buff/debuffs, cc, quick traversal, aoe, heavy single target, etc... Very diverse skill set.

stone128

If this is real I love you. Just about to get to the part that this bit of info could change my life.

Yeh, be patient. Man at arms has some really great moves. One of the strongest heals, buff/debuffs, cc, quick traversal, aoe, heavy single target, etc... Very diverse skill set.

I actually never tried it, but the crafting guide on steams says so, and it has for the most part been correct... some of the enemies in that snowland area drop boots that are immune to slipping to, and you can always use the sneak ability in large areaes covered with slippery ise... but yeah, hope it works !

Moff

has anyone found out how threat works in this game? its probably the one thing that isn't perfect about the combat. there aren't even threat generating skills.

the game would be much more tactical with proper threat design, but the way it is now I don't really see the use of 1h weapons and shields.

stone128

I haver a 4 in crafting, and was unable to craft those non slipping boots :/ Gotta have a 5 in that category it seems ... hmmmm...

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Huh, killed the
spide queen.

Should I worry about not having her alive for something or is she just an area boys to be killed?

Moff

Good to know.

Also goddamnit is there a sure way to get resurrect scrolls?

no there is no sure way, as everything is randomized

you have many possibilities though:
- craft witchcraft scrolls (blank witchscraft scoll + magic ink&quill), its random, but you can reload and craft again for a new chance
- re visit vendors in the game
- at level 16 you can buy the resurrect spellbook

Noaloha

Was reading the thread over breakfast and noticed some talk about henchmen. I didn't see this mentioned:

There's still a bug in the game where henchmen of lower level to Roderick/Scarlett don't automatically level up to you. If you're level 3 and you recruit a level 1, that henchman should become level 3 alongside you.

To get around the bug, recruit them as normal, dismiss them, then re-invite them. They'll immediately get whatever Exp they need to match your own.

Good to know.

Also goddamnit is there a sure way to get resurrect scrolls?

I think Arhu restocks.

- craft witchcraft scrolls (blank witchscraft scoll + magic ink&quill), its random, but you can reload and craft again for a new chance

I don't think everything is as RNG as led to believe. I think there are larger percentages for certain items on various sellers and enemies. I can usually stock up on Res Scrolls on every mage I visit.

Antiwhippy

Which I find really weird. So if you run out of scrolls you pretty much have to reload huh? Or keep going one member down till you find another one.

Zakalwe

Banned
Which I find really weird. So if you run out of scrolls you pretty much have to reload huh? Or keep going one member down till you find another one.

I've never returned to Arhu and not found a few res scrolls. The potion seller in the market almost always has them too.

If guess if someone using multiple res scrolls every fight they might run in to trouble, but I've always got a stock of at least 1 per character, mostly 2-3.

Durante

I've never returned to Arhu and not found a few res scrolls. The potion seller in the market almost always has them too.

If guess if someone using multiple res scrolls every fight they might run in to trouble, but I've always got a stock of at least 1 per character, mostly 2-3.
Yeah, I think resurrect scrolls are treated differently from everything else, every mage seems to have multiple ones all the time (while they usually have at most 1 of the other scrolls, and those seem completely random).

Zukuu

Banned
Immunity to Slipping - Any Shoe + Nine Inch Nails

I figured out this way to late too... :p
If this is true, GIVE THAT MAN A MEDAL.

It's so logical, why didn't I try it... >_<

Well, I did fine with casting tornado every few meter... once the first character slipped. =/
The probability for it happening are way too high and it lasts way too long. Should only be for a single turn imo.

Zakalwe

Banned
Snow boots are such a common drop in that area that you really don't have to worry about crafting it.

You might not need to, but the fact the option exists is an example of why this game is so great. :p

Also, you can use it pre- that area if you like to use ice a lot. There have been a few fights where enemies have made liberal use of it too, making my melee awkward to use.

stone128

If this is true, GIVE THAT MAN A MEDAL.

It's so logical, why didn't I try it... >_<

Well, I did fine with casting tornado every few meter... once the first character slipped. =/
The probability for it happening are way too high and it lasts way too long. Should only be for a single turn imo.

Really now, I just read it in the steam crafting guide, lol, but thanks ;) <3

Sentenza

Snow boots are such a common drop in that area that you really don't have to worry about crafting it.

Well, snow boots also tend to be garbage "white loot", while that's not necessarily the case for whatever else you are wearing, so this info was quite valuable to me.

stone128

Supersmip_zpsd708d25b.jpg

Very happy about the way the armor is in this game, even the weapon looks badass with water and fire effects... :)

Antiwhippy

Man I really love the super faraway camera bug. I wish that it was an actual option. Not only is it really useful but I think that it look fantastic.

Really loving this game. Didn't buy it in the steam sale figuring I'd just wait for it next year, then finally caved at full price because I couldn't resist.

First real foray into a turn based crpg. I played a few hours of KOTOR, the tutorial for BG2, and did everything in DA:O before this so I'm pretty limited in my experience. This is making me want to install BG2 afterwards and really get into it. A few questions though.

1) is there some sort of rest option? Seems a bit annoying to be out in the wild and not have the ability. It basically means I can spend a few minutes of my team waiting for my Knight's healing spell to come off cd, or I can go into the next battle unprepared.

2) Best quests to do first? I'm pretty early in the first city,
for the murder mystery questline I'm supposed to go to Evelyn's hideout. I'm only about level 4. I tried going to the lighthouse but the guy outside seemed too strong for me. Should I just man up and beat him, or are there some easier quests I could be doing?

3) I'm assuming my party of a 2h Knight and a Pyro/Geo Wizard will be fine? Anywhere in the first city I can find a healer companion? I put a point in Aero on my Wizard not understanding that I need to wait a few levels to get something to level 2, I'm kinda guessing it's a waste of time to focus 3 skills?

Really loving this game. Didn't buy it in the steam sale figuring I'd just wait for it next year, then finally caved at full price because I couldn't resist.

First real foray into a turn based crpg. I played a few hours of KOTOR, the tutorial for BG2, and did everything in DA:O before this so I'm pretty limited in my experience. This is making me want to install BG2 afterwards and really get into it. A few questions though.

1) is there some sort of rest option? Seems a bit annoying to be out in the wild and not have the ability. It basically means I can spend a few minutes of my team waiting for my Knight's healing spell to come off cd, or I can go into the next battle unprepared.

2) Best quests to do first? I'm pretty early in the first city,
for the murder mystery questline I'm supposed to go to Evelyn's hideout. I'm only about level 4. I tried going to the lighthouse but the guy outside seemed too strong for me. Should I just man up and beat him, or are there some easier quests I could be doing?

3) I'm assuming my party of a 2h Knight and a Pyro/Geo Wizard will be fine? Anywhere in the first city I can find a healer companion? I put a point in Aero on my Wizard not understanding that I need to wait a few levels to get something to level 2, I'm kinda guessing it's a waste of time to focus 3 skills?

No rest option.

Go to Mayor Cecil's house. In the library upstairs is a mage called Jahan. Hes quite useful.

FtHTiny

Why does my character keep losing her armour?

If someone debuffs you with -strength and you don´t meet the requirements anymore she undresses. At least i think that´s what´s happened because she did it for me as well and i couldn´t find another explanation.

Antiwhippy

Ah right, that makes sense.

I do enjoy that my tactic right now is to teleport to the middle of the enemy pack and exploding constantly.

Shahadan

You can rest on beds and things like that, you sometimes can find small sheets on the floorsserving as beds in some camps but it's rather rare. I don't know if you can carry or craft a type of bed though.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
#1 - Found out you can mod the Max number of conversations in your .config file (duh, me.).

#2 - Have continued to fall in love with this game... I had forgotten the feeling of discovering things on your own, evokes powerful BG1/BG2 feels.

Fuz

Banned
I think I fucked up heavily in act 1:

I went to mortician's hut before going into the church, I think I remember seeing an exagona amulet and I *think* I've sold the exagonal medallion by mistake. Don't remember to which NPC and I can't find it anymore.
Any other way to enter the tomb beneath the church without it?
Cheating accepted.

Ourobolus

Banned
Played this for around 7 hours yesterday. Still haven't left Cyseal (except a bit to the west to
steal an Orc's brother's armor in his grave). Having so much fun, though even though I'm level 3 it's a bit overwhelming trying to figure out where to allocate points.

I'm using a Rogue and a Mage, and so far it's been ok. Finally getting some decent armor to play around outside the town. Went under the
graveyard
and got wrecked by some skeletons before all of that, including recruiting Madora.

Having a ton of fun doing the quests in town - really glad I got the Pet Pal perk. Some really funny dialogue and quests.

Top Bottom