• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Divinity: Original Sin |OT| Sandbox RPG. Co-Op friendly. Bread.

aborath

Neo Member
I tried few different combination at this point and the one I'm happiest about is Knight and Rogue.

This is probably the combination I'll go with as well. The rogue is all kinds of fun in combat (sneak+backstab > your BS top-of-the-round fireball), and gives you plenty of potential for rampant larceny. Hopefully additional companions will be able to fill the magic gap. Any idea if you get more options beyond the two in the first town?

aravuus

I kind of want to make two same-sex rogues/thiefs. One would use bows, the other daggers.

e: screw it, i'm gonna do it

ideas for my thief siblings' names? i could make them male and call them snake and liquid, but they aren't exactly thieves

Philippo

I kind of want to make two same-sex rogues/thiefs. One would use bows, the other daggers.

ideas for my thief siblings' names? i could make them male and call them snake and liquid, but they aren't exactly thieves

Thelma&Louise?

Celia and Lettie are what come to mind. Somehow. They're kinda roguey.

Zukuu

Banned

Why not make one an archer then? :3 You can give him sneak too.

They should obviously be named WEDOIT and FROMBEHIND

I was planning on going Wizard / Knight for my main characters but after hearing that the first NPCs you come across are
a warrior specializing in two handed weapons and a mage
I might go a different route. Wizard / Ranger maybe?

Any suggestions? I know it may be sacrilege but for a big RPG, especially one that I'm not familiar with its systems, I wouldn't hate having an option to respec somehow.
I really think people are too much focused on that aspect. You'll get other companions later or even in the same town.

aborath

Neo Member

Nias and Ayla, the twins from Gail Simone's Red Sonja.

Facism

Ass Master & Dong Supreme.

Ricker

Hesitating to grab this because of the comparison with MMX,which I loved until the unbalanced parts hit me right in the face...seeing no respawns again for this scares me,although I think I read a few times that you can change difficulty on the fly,something you couldn't do in MMX...ther's also co-op that sounds great...probably will get this anyway,just waiting to hear about the difficulty spikes,if any,on normal and what causes them...

Hesitating to grab this because of the comparison with MMX,which I loved until the unbalanced parts hit me right in the face...seeing no respawns again for this scares me,although I think I read a few times that you can change difficulty on the fly,something you couldn't do in MMX...ther's also co-op that sounds great...probably will get this anyway,just waiting to hear about the difficulty spikes,if any,on normal and what causes them...

In the introduction area at the beginning of the game (or is it a loading tip?) they outline that fleeing is a valid tactic. There are also character traits that help or harm escape from battles.

So, there's no reason to be concerned about battles that are too tough - you may get in over your head, but you can always retreat and re-think your strategy.

Moff

I dont think people compare this to MMX because of balancing, but rather because it manages to bring some old school concepts back, but with modern improvements that dont betray the classic concept, like a kickass UI and supersmooth gameplay.

How does the coop work in terms of saves? When one person saves, does it do so for the other person as well? Is there a host who keeps the progress?

How does the coop work in terms of saves? When one person saves, does it do so for the other person as well? Is there a host who keeps the progress?

Co-op player is just visiting, as they are just inhabiting one of the host's characters. Host keeps everything, co-op player gains nothing.

At least, that's my understanding.

Can co-op player create their own character?

They use one of the co-op characters the host made, that's my understanding. That is to say there's no bringing in of anything from another person's game.

Edit
If the co-op player joins the host while he's at the character select screen, then the co-op player can create their own character.

Oh, that's cool. Never would have guessed that!

Zukuu

Banned
Oh god, what should I do with all that free time during the weekend. The agony waiting for this game is consuming me. D: Will probably play Valiant Hearts or Ghost Trick.

OmegaDL50

My first character will probably be a Sword and Board traditional knight class. I don't like those clunky two handers, I prefer the nimbler longsword with a shield. It's lesser attack power for extra defense.

And the second character will be a strict mage focusing on 4 elemental primaries (Fire, Lightning, Water, and either Earth or Healing)

Zukuu

Banned
My first character will probably be a Sword and Board traditional knight class. I don't like those clunky two handers, I prefer the nimbler longsword with a shield. It's lesser attack power for extra defense.

And the second character will be a strict mage focusing on 4 elemental primaries (Fire, Lightning, Water, and either Earth or Healing)

Water = Healing. Earth is more of a support / summoning school. Witchcraft (Dark) has Warlock spells, summon skelets, drain life, and buffs / debuffs (e.g. starting spell: +50% damage for 3 turns)

Yup, I have the same plan in mind. Female Sword & Board and a male mage.

It's too bad we can't alter the physical build in the CC, because I'd love my Mage to be an old Gandalf-type dude. Not all buff like the default male character.

OmegaDL50

Water = Healing. Earth is more of a support / summoning school. Witchcraft (Dark) has Warlock spells, summon skelets, drain life, and buffs / debuffs (e.g. starting spell: +50% damage for 3 turns)

Fire, Water, Lightning it is then.

Maybe a 3rd character I recruit will be a Rogue / Thief type to balance out the trinity of the archtype Warrior, Mage, Thief party.

In combat is there a way to delay your turn until after your partner's turn? Not for the full round.
No. You can skip your turn and hold onto your remaining action points, but you cannot switch around the turn order.

The turn order is in the top middle of the screen, and it will only be altered by status effects during combat.

In combat do you get to control all of your followers moves or are they AI controlled?

You control every party member both inside and outside of combat.

I'm not sure exactly how it works in co-op - you probably control everyone but the co-op player.

Lucifon

Does anyone know the plan with regards to upgrading from early access to final release? I got a copy of the game for 10 keys, and I'm building my new machine tomorrow night. I was wondering if it's worth downloading it all now, and then backing it up so I can just easily transfer it over and update when Monday comes along. Or is it just going to pretty much redownload the full thing on Monday anyway?

Sothpaw

Oh god, what should I do with all that free time during the weekend. The agony waiting for this game is consuming me. D: Will probably play Valiant Hearts or Ghost Trick.

I started playing Demon's Souls (first time playing any Souls game) this week. I didn't think I would like the series. WRONG. Game has top notch atmosphere and amazing music. Well on pace to finish it by the 30th.

The thing is I have to be careful with games that get gushed over on GAF. I played through the entire Uncharted series last month and I really don't see what people are so crazy about. Average games at best. Demon's Souls though, I agree with the praise there.

Sentenza

I started playing Demon's Souls (first time playing any Souls game) this week. I didn't think I would like the series. WRONG. Game has top notch atmosphere and amazing music. Well on pace to finish it by the 30th.
Dark Souls is even better.
Not sure why you thought you wouldn't like it.
If you are someone who can appreciate stellar level design, tight game mechanics and a moderate challenge, the Souls series is a sure bet.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Finally did my part and picked this up :)

TBH in recent years I've not played many turn based games and even gone off them a bit but started this up and holy shit, I'm in love. Deleted my save though and waiting for the 30th. Got other games to keep me preoccupied, but I'm looking forward to this greatly :)

slayn

needs to show more effort.
Is there going to be a price difference between early access and release? I don't plan to play this yet until next week so I was just waiting for release day but I was thinking of buying early access just to start playing around with builds.

Is early access steam only?

Does anyone know if co-op will work across different publishers? I was planning to buy it on gog.com and wasn't sure if gog and steam users can play together.

Durante

Is there going to be a price difference between early access and release?
Nope.

Is early access steam only?
Yes.

Does anyone know if co-op will work across different publishers? I was planning to buy it on gog.com and wasn't sure if gog and steam users can play together.
Not sure about this one. There is LAN support so I'm sure you could clobber together some way to play though.

Guys how are the other Divinity games? Never played any of them, but bought Dragon Commander as it looked damn nice (hope it is good) while I wait :)

Durante

Guys how are the other Divinity games? Never played any of them, but bought Dragon Commander as it looked damn nice (hope it is good) while I wait :)
Divine Divinity: is an isometric ARPG, not as Diablolike as that sounds. It's great.
Beyond Divinity: skip it.
Divinity II: is a third person ARPG where you can turn into a Dragon and mind-read people for fun and profit. It's good.
Divinity: Dragon Commander: Not an RPG, but a RTS/TBS/Action hybrid. I love it, read more here.

ZoddGutts

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=276611375

Introduction
WARNING:
Opening the editor and Main story mod will spoil the game! Do not open the editor/Main mod if you would like to finish the game without spoilers! Do not save when the main mod is opened. This can break the game and data/levels!

INFO:
This guide will explain how to setup the editor for Divinity: Original Sin. You can find the editor called "The Divinity Engine" under "Library -> Tools" in your steam client. You need to have the game (Divinity: Original Sin) installed in order to use the editor.

8GB and a 64bit OS is advised to use the editor. It will work just fine with lower specs but it is possible that you can't open all the levels if your specs are too low.

More info at the link.

Sentenza

The more I play around with this game to experiment a bit, the more I convince myself this is an instant classic.
The one, only, single feature I don't like to any degree is the randomized loot.
Beside not liking it in general as a mechanic, I really, really don't think it fits this kind of game.
It's also all sorts of annoying to reload a save game for whatever reason, repeat a battle/re-loot a container just to find entirely different stuff, and it opens up the game to some silly exploits (i.e. if you're a OCD freak you can keep reloading before opening a chest until your luck strikes and you find something extremely valuable.
In my most recent game I found the most awesome "orange" armour for a Knight/Warrior so far in a common chest in the legion building, 20 minutes into the new playthrough.

Moff

yep I thought that, too, random loot really doesnt fit this game. its especially bad because this also affects skills you can get, because you learn them from droppable books.

aravuus

Yeah, randomized loot is always kind of a double-edged sword in my opinion. On one hand, finding a rare item early on feels incredible and destroying the opposition for a while is great.

On the other hand, when loot isn't randomized, you feel like you've earned the item when you find something rare. The developers put it right there because they knew it'd be hard to get, so getting it is all the more satisfying. And with randomized loot you could keep getting shitty loot even from the hardest to reach chests if you're really unlucky.

I know I'll say "I'll never save scum" now, but I think I'll end up saving before every chest without even thinking.

e: but yeah, really doesn't fit a game like this

aravuus

I want to check out the editor but it's 1am and I'm waking up at 7am. Fuck.

Do we know if the game will support workshop?

Top Bottom