• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Divinity: Original Sin |OT| Sandbox RPG. Co-Op friendly. Bread.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
Alright. Bought! I blame the hype. And the fact that I want to stop playing WoW for a while and want a nice RPG to jump into.

Question, should I download the game now or wait until it's out?

Saves don't transfer. At this point it would be better to wait.

Sentenza

Any of the classes a bit more useless than the others? How far into the game do you start encountering companions/henchmen to fill out your roles?
Two minutes into the first city you can already have both the companions available there, if you know where to look.
It's also worth noting that there are absolutely NO downsides for hiring companions in this game, since the exp you get from monsters and quests doesn't fragment between party members. Everyone gets everything.

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
Might as well finish Might & Magic X unless you have a coop buddy waiting for you. I put MM aside and haven't been back to it since. Will do at some point soon though as I now have a 780 Ti so I am hoping it no longer runs like hot garbage.
Yeah, I guess waiting would be the smartest thing to do. Here's hoping I can control myself. (doubtfull :p)
How is M&MX? performance wise I mean. I played through the game when it came out and the game ran horribly on my GTX 670, really nasty freezes and texture pop-in when moving, all the while looking pretty ugly. I assume it's received a few patches since thenso I might jump back in, after Divinity of course.
It still runs pretty bad. Not all the time, it runs pretty smooth in towns and dungeons, but the overworld is a popping mess. It's pretty funny at times, in a "where did that jungle come from" kinda way.
I've never seen such a graphically schizophrenic game. Screwing around with the settings does almost nothing, so you might as well set everything on "high". But the game itself is incredible, even if it's a technical mess.

Froli

^ I hope the storytelling isn't particularly epic :p

Though D:OS is also a very radical departure from Divine Divinity in terms of combat and party mechanics.

Did the developers at least hinted on what the story will be focused on? all I'm hearing from some posts and some youtube videos is that the first city involves a murder mystery you are trying to solve.

Moff

Did the developers at least hinted on what the story will be focused on? all I'm hearing from some posts and some youtube videos is that the first city involves a murder mystery you are trying to solve.

very early in the first town, the story
twists into something pretty epic and mindblowing

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member

The main story line starts to reveal itself as a tangential quest during the murder investigation.

I really have no idea what to look forward to with this game but I've heard some really good things from the alpha/beta

About classes and stuff. I want to have 2 physical fighters coz I don't play that magic shit. Thing is the environmental stuff sounds so good I feel like I'd be gimping myself. What class would go well with a warrior?

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
I really have no idea what to look forward to with this game but I've heard some really good things from the alpha/beta

About classes and stuff. I want to have 2 physical fighters coz I don't play that magic shit. Thing is the environmental stuff sounds so good I feel like I'd be gimping myself. What class would go well with a warrior?

One of the companions is a mage and you can hire other mage henchmen starting from the first town. The max party size is four.

Well, I dont mean to play it until it's actually out. But when I download it now, do I have to redownload when the releae build is out or something?

Ah I see. We don't know, so as long as you don't have a data cap, you might as well download it.

Zakalwe

Banned

Anything. You can do the environmental stuff without magic (candles to set off fires, water barrels to dowse flames, oil barrels to prime fries, etc..., and one time use scrolls), but magic definitely makes it easier to get the most out of the system.

As one of the 2 companions is a mage, if you want both you'll get the chance to explore the potential even if you don't want to. The other companion is a Warrior, so again if you want both this might affect your character set up choices at the start.

Not sure what henchmen we'll be getting (party members with no story elements), but if you want the story based party members it might change how you're planning to start.

Sentenza

By the way, after playing even more yesterday, I have to say that the fast travel system in this game is absolutely brilliant.
And I'm not referring to the common portals you cross moving around, which are useful too...
No, it's the two piramids thing that simply works like a charm and allows you to create in any moment a quick shortcut for whatever place you want to go back and forth.

Corpekata

Banned

Someone earlier mentioned Rangers get things like fire arrows so they may bring some of that utility. I didn't try one yet though.

I do like bows. I might try Ranger + Battlemage to start off with.

It's been a long time since I've played an RPG ass RPG. I'm pretty pumped

aravuus

I do like bows. I might try Ranger + Battlemage to start off with.

This is exactly what I decided to go with in the end. Ranger is gonna double as a thief and I'll probably give the battlemage fire + some other element rather than the default fire + witchcraft, but otherwise it'd be the same.

milena87

I can't decide what characters to make :/

I know that tonight I'll just stare at the character creator for 3 hours.
It took me 2 hours to finally decide what character to play first in NWN2...

Zeliard

By the way, after playing even more yesterday, I have to say that the fast travel system in this game is absolutely brilliant.
And I'm not referring to the common portals you cross moving around, which are useful too...
No, it's the two piramids thing that simply works like a charm and allows you to create in any moment a quick shortcut for whatever place you want to go back and forth.

One of the many great uses for those is to add a teleport option to a place where you've put together some makeshift crafting station.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
Someone earlier mentioned Rangers get things like fire arrows so they may bring some of that utility. I didn't try one yet though.

Special arrows (fire ,water, slow, smoke, electric, explosive, poison, knockdown, silver, [and their AOE variants] etc), yeah.

Not sure what henchmen we'll be getting (party members with no story elements), but if you want the story based party members it might change how you're planning to start.

Basically every type of character build (click on the GIF in the op for a detailed sample of the choices). Larian has stated they will include more if they see the demand for specific new ones.

I can't decide what characters to make :/

I know that tonight I'll just stare at the character creator for 3 hours.
It took me 2 hours to finally decide what character to play first in NWN2...

There is a short tutorial dungeon in the beginning that will let you experiment with the different classes.

Moff

Is it possible to play as a Paladin type class, like a mix of a tanky Knight with healing abilities?

everything is possible, and the templar is even one of the starting configurations.
but is it recommendable? I dont know, if you need to invest in both strenght and intelligence, you wont be strong in neither.

Sentenza

Is it possible to play as a Paladin type class, like a mix of a tanky Knight with healing abilities?
Well, it is, but I'm not sure it would be an ideal setup.
The 2H warrior/Knight simply makes (and can tank) too much damage to "waste" his turns healing.
It's better to have a dedicated mage for that.

That said, the man-at-arms branch has a very powerful heal (which is on by default on a Knight, btw), except it has a very short range and long cooldown.

Noaloha

Hard melee with some heals and other lower level magics is quite viable so long as you stick to 1-Handed weapons. The Strength requirements for the 2-Handed stuff is pretty high and I'm not convinced the stat balance would subsequently be viable.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Got all excited. Logged into Steam and Divinity started downloading a 3 gb patch.

Then I remembered I hadn't logged into Steam on my laptop for a while. Old patch. Dammit.

aravuus

Goddamn it I'm getting excited

I've got a bunch of other games to play but I'm having problems getting invested in them since I know it won't be long till I'll be playing DOS lol

Zakalwe

Banned
Any kinda romance system in this game?

All I can find is "I don't see anything in Beta! :eek:" stuff about the topic.

From what I have seen, it's not fully blown romance like Mass Effect, but it will have an effect on conversation options and how your two main characters react to each other.

Conversation options pop up at certain points, and you'll get -/+ in certain relationship and personality attributes based on your choices. Not sure about how it will affect the gameplay (like if one will refuse to do something based on your relationship).

Interested to see how in depth it is too.

epmode

I wanted a rogue but after seeing how melee unfriendly all of the surfaces and AOE stuff is, I'm thinking of going with more of a ranger. Is it feasible to get ranger and rogue skills (like pickpocketing) on the same character? I know that the game isn't too great with hybrids but I believe both archetypes use dexterity as their main stat.

Zakalwe

Banned
Swen: "This is not a Bioware kind of game"

Have they gone into any kind of depth about how their perosnalty/reltionship system will work aside from distancing themselves from Bioware?

I wanted a rogue but after seeing how melee unfriendly all of the surfaces and AOE stuff is, I'm thinking of going with more of a ranger. Is it feasible to get ranger and rogue skills (like pickpocketing) on the same character? I know that the game isn't too great with hybrids but I believe both archetypes use dexterity as their main stat.

My ranger will be exactly this. It worked in the beta for the content I played.

I think Hybrids will work out fine if you spec them well, some more than others of course but as Rouges and Rangers share Dexterity as their main attribute this one should be fine.

Zeliard

Just start off with the Rogue archetype and replace Scoundrel skills with Expert Marksman.

Top Bottom