• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Divinity: Original Sin |OT| Sandbox RPG. Co-Op friendly. Bread.

Nibel

A lot of hype for this on GAF and Twitter. Bought the original game off Steam, but kind of getting weak to get this as well.. it would have to wait for me finishing Dark Souls 2 100% though. Decisions, decisions!

RK9039

Is it feasible to get ranger and rogue skills (like pickpocketing) on the same character? I know that the game isn't too great with hybrids but I believe both archetypes use dexterity as their main stat.

Yeah, plus you can edit the Ranger starting skills to have archery+rogue skills. The Ranger starts with lock picking, blacksmith/crafting and loremaster.

Poetic

A lot of hype for this on GAF and Twitter. Bought the original game off Steam, but kind of getting weak to get this as well.. it would have to wait for me finishing Dark Souls 2 100% though. Decisions, decisions!

Same boat, trying to finish up Dark Souls 2 but I already bought Divinity. (Traded 10 keys for).

Chaos17

7 hours to go...

spongebob.gif

Sentenza

I wanted a rogue but after seeing how melee unfriendly all of the surfaces and AOE stuff is, I'm thinking of going with more of a ranger. Is it feasible to get ranger and rogue skills (like pickpocketing) on the same character? I know that the game isn't too great with hybrids but I believe both archetypes use dexterity as their main stat.
Eh, im going with rogue first, ranger later instead of doing the other way around simply because scoundrel's invisibility is way too good to steal stuff in the early game.
Also bows and crossbows take too many AP and initially you can rarely shoot more than once for turn.

Zakalwe

Banned
What do you mean? Is it hard for rogues to go into melee (making melee rogues builds 'hindered'), or is overall hard to go into melee?

It's not, you just need to be thoughtful about your positioning and not just run into the oil slick you laid down for your mage to set on fire.

I ran with two melee (Knight as character and the War companion), and I didn't feel restricted at all. Just had to consider positioning and plan my attacks, which is kind of the point anyway! Rogues require a little more thought as you need to find the sweet post for backstabs, but they're perfectly viable.

Eh, im going with rogue first, ranger later instead of doing the other way around simply because scoundrel's invisibility is way too good to steal stuff in the early game.
Also bows and crossbows take too many AP and initially you can rarely shoot more than once for turn.

Using the distraction technique (sending another party member to talk with NPC), I was abel to steal to my heart's content without the Rogue ability. I didn't find anything I couldn't pinch. I don't think it's essential in any way, so if that's your only reason for taking it you might not have to.

Drazgul

https://www.kickstarter.com/project...l-sin/comments?cursor=7139015#comment-7139014

https://www.kickstarter.com/project...l-sin/comments?cursor=7138980#comment-7138979

We're finishing the Kickstarter update - it should be up shortly. Bottom line -> Your Steam Early Access key will transform into the full key. If you do not want a Steam key, you'll be able to destroy it on the Vault and get a GOG key instead. More in the update.

The existing keys will not be revoked. It makes the transition a lot easier. We indeed planned originally to destroy them but since the large majority wants a Steam key, that doesn't really make sense as you would have to re-download everything (10GB). That's why we adapted our approach.

Corpekata

Banned
Someone posted this in the Steam forum: "We're finishing the Kickstarter update - it should be up shortly. Bottom line -> Your Steam Early Access key will transform into the full key. If you do not want a Steam key, you'll be able to destroy it on the Vault and get a GOG key instead. More in the update."

Not sure what his source is so I asked, thread here http://steamcommunity.com/app/230230/discussions/0/522730701992997828/

So it looks like it'll be less obnoxious for kickstarter backers than before.

Edit: Guess Drazgul has my answer. Much better way to handle this Larian, thanks you.

garath

AngerdX

Well the darn Steam Sale thread made me go nuts over getting this, got lucky and got a great deal on it, just as the sale is winding down, now i´m trying to get to grips with alot of info and my brain is starting to fry it hink. hehe

To bad i won´t get much time to play with it until the weekend, ohh well i guess i´ll do some more beta tutorial dungeon to get a feel for it.

If you don´t mind carrying a noob, feel free to add me on steam got loads of new friends spots to fill.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/AengerdX/

JambiBum

What's with the pyramid thing people were mentioning earlier? I remember seeing a pyramid in a house during the beta but I don't think that I ever played it long enough to access it.

Zeliard

Aren't the Scoundrel abilities (pickpocketing, sneaking, traps disarming, lockpicking) tied to Perception?

Pickpocketing/lockpicking aren't Scoundrel skills; they're a part of the "Nasty Deeds" set of abilities.

Scoundrel and Expert Marksman skills are both affected by Dexterity. Perception affects shooting accuracy and likelihood to detect traps (which isn't in and of itself an actual skill/ability), among other things.

If you want a Ranger with good rogueish skills to start with just switch out some or all of its crafting skills for the Rogue's pickpocketing/lockpicking/sneaking trio, or instead of pickpocketing, mix-and-match Scoundrel/Expert Marksman. You don't start off with many points so there's only so much you can do with the opening build.

You certainly don't want to ignore crafting (and you can take the Scientist perk for an early bonus to crafting/blacksmithing), but starting class largely just affects default gear and your opening build is ultimately trivially important as you get into the game. You can take any character in any direction.

Sentenza

Using the distraction technique (sending another party member to talk with NPC), I was abel to steal to my heart's content without the Rogue ability. I didn't find anything I couldn't pinch. I don't think it's essential in any way, so if that's your only reason for taking it you might not have to.
Yeah, well:
- unchain characters.
- position them properly.
- Talk with one, move the other.
- hope there aren't other wandering NPCs who can spot you anyway.

A bit too messy and intricate.

LogicStep

I messed around with the beta a little bit last night and the game is so overwhelming with all the options and stats. I was thinking on going with a cleric and the nature dude (forgot the name). Not sure if those would be a good pick for a noob like myself at this type of game. I tried a Wizard and Knight last night and I'm not sure if I liked it much.

Zakalwe

Banned
Yeah, well:
- unchain characters.
- position them properly.
- Talk with one, move the other.
- hope there aren't other wandering NPCs who can spot you anyway.

A bit too messy and intricate.

Really? I thought one if the major draws of this game was intricacies like these.

I didn't ever find it awkward to do either. Fair enough though.

Gbraga

We're almost there!!! And I beat Far Cry 3 in time, thank god.

Can't wait to get home from work and begin my adventures TT_TT

Jag

I really didn't want this game on Steam, but GoG is usually very slow with patches. Hopefully there will still be an option to get it from Larian for Kickstarters. Hopefully they will patch their own site as fast as Steam.

Ken

o this has an OT

i just randomly picked this up right before the sale ended because games with character creation are cool in my book but I didn't know the release date was in 4 hours; should I just install whatever it is on Steam right now or will it prompt me to re-download and install something new when it actually releases?

Spookie

Hurrar for the keys automatically turning in to full blown releases. I can go the pub tonight and it'll be ready for when I get home! :D

Santiako

Pickpocketing/lockpicking aren't Scoundrel skills; they're a part of the "Nasty Deeds" set of abilities.

Scoundrel and Expert Marksman skills are both affected by Dexterity. Perception affects shooting accuracy and likelihood to detect traps (which isn't in and of itself an actual skill/ability), among other things.

If you want a Ranger with good rogueish skills to start with just switch out some or all of its crafting skills for the Rogue's pickpocketing/lockpicking/sneaking trio, or instead of pickpocketing, mix-and-match Scoundrel/Expert Marksman. You don't start off with many points so there's only so much you can do with the opening build.

You certainly don't want to ignore crafting (and you can take the Scientist perk for an early bonus to crafting/blacksmithing), but starting class largely just affects default gear and your opening build is ultimately trivially important as you get into the game. You can take any character in any direction.

Yeah, you're right, I mixed up Nasty Deeds with Scoundrel.

Vlodril

hm i took a quick look at the character creator (just to see if the game maybe stealthily released or something:p) and there are wayy to few skills there. I wanted to make a rogue with some air magic but you have like 5 skills and most are essential. i had to remove pick pocket to put the air magic in and lower a stat to get my intelligence a bit up. Also seems like you can have only 3 skills in the beginning at least.

I predict i will be frustrated a lot trying to chose what to get.

Any eta yet?

Zakalwe

Banned
hm i took a quick look at the character creator (just to see if the game maybe stealthily released or something:p) and there are wayy to few skills there. I wanted to make a rogue with some air magic but you have like 5 skills and most are essential. i had to remove pick pocket to put the air magic in and lower a stat to get my intelligence a bit up. Also seems like you can have only 3 skills in the beginning at least.

I predict i will be frustrated a lot trying to chose what to get.

Any eta yet?

Someone said 7 hours an hour ago. So 6 hours ish?

Is there a countdown on steam?

I hope I can play this after work this evening... I've been digitally pacing since the save wipe for the editor patch.

Geoff9920

Finished up the The Bureau XCom Declassified last night so I could focus on this game today. It looks like the current beta build is the release build of the game? So is it safe to play now or will game saves still not be compatible come release?

Zakalwe

Banned
Finished up the The Bureau XCom Declassified last night so I could focus on this game today. It looks like the current beta build is the release build of the game? So is it safe to play now or will game saves still not be compatible come release?

Saves won't be compatible.

Jag

So it looks like Kickstarters will only have a choice of Steam or GoG. Guess i'm going Steam after all.

I only played the beta for a few hours (saving myself), but one thing that really confused me was this Homestead - or that crazy zone off in the nether where some imp spouts nonsense for 15 minutes. I've never played any of the previous Divinity games, so maybe I'm missing some backstory or setting, but what is this place? Here I was thinking I was playing some high-fantasy RPG when, out of nowhere, I was teleported to this place and introduced to time-travel or something.

Without trying to spoil too much, what is this place for? Mechanically. Is it just a hub for getting to different zones? Is it a "house"? Or is it entirely optional to even go there? Like I said, I don't remember how I got there, but I think I remember it being that I talked to some random NPC or opened a chest or something. It didn't seem like anything story related or obvious.

Is there any "first steps guide" for noobs?

I'm not really good at classical RPG so that will be helpful for beginners like me.

I haven't played a whole lot of it, but Divinity: Original Sin has some more advanced environmental interactions than most games. So, make sure you go into the tutorial dungeon at the beginning, as it will introduce you to a lot of important concepts first-hand.

Good luck, and don't fire touch poison clouds! (I speak as an expert in this subject)

Edit
Will a toaster fair okay for this sort of game?

Only a mark 42 toaster.

Just checked the Larian Vault - Steam keys are up! Downloading now!

I never touched the beta, despite being an early backer. I wanted to go in fresh. I'm so happy right now!

You'll have to play it again anyway, and it's really not difficult to follow. Just make sure you read all the text this time and it'll make perfect sense. :p

No no, I read all the text the first time, and it made no sense. Maybe the second time around I'll be more mentally prepared...

I only played the beta for a few hours (saving myself), but one thing that really confused me was this
Homestead - or that crazy zone off in the nether where some imp spouts nonsense for 15 minutes. I've never played any of the previous Divinity games, so maybe I'm missing some backstory or setting, but what is this place? Here I was thinking I was playing some high-fantasy RPG when, out of nowhere, I was teleported to this place and introduced to time-travel or something.

Without trying to spoil too much, what is this place for? Mechanically. Is it just a hub for getting to different zones? Is it a "house"? Or is it entirely optional to even go there?
Like I said, I don't remember how I got there, but I think I remember it being that I talked to some random NPC or opened a chest or something. It didn't seem like anything story related or obvious.

Might want to spoiler tag some of that, for the people wanting to go in blind.

seph1roth

I haven't played a whole lot of it, but Divinity: Original Sin has some more advanced environmental interactions than most games. So, make sure you go into the tutorial dungeon at the beginning, as it will introduce you to a lot of important concepts first-hand.

Good luck, and don't fire touch poison clouds! (I speak as an expert in this subject)

Thank you ;)

The only problem is the language, hope in a near future they make a spanish translation, I have a "good english" and mostly in games with less text is not a problem, but in an rpg it could be a little difficult.

Zakalwe

Banned
No no, I read all the text the first time, and it made no sense. Maybe the second time around I'll be more mentally prepared...

If you don't remember how you got there then you may not have been paying attention and probably missed something that would help make sense of it.

It's part of the main story, and I think there are two ways to trigger the event, so just make sure you're really paying attention and not skim reading any of the imp's nonsense

As for the rest, it appears to be a hub for further story areas, and it's not optional.

Spookie

Is there any sites with a complete list of beta skills so I can have a better idea of what I want to do with my characters?

Adnor

Banned
Thank you ;)

The only problem is the language, hope in a near future they make a spanish translation, I have a "good english" and mostly in games with less text is not a problem, but in an rpg it could be a little difficult.
Does ClanDLAN still translate games? If they do I'm sure they'll translate this.

Thank you ;)

I'd definitely recommend playing a version that you can fully understand, because Larian adds a lot of little touches and flairs to their writing that add a lot to the game. That said, this game is highly replayable so I wouldn't worry too much about missing the little stuff - worst case scenario, it gives you some more practice with English.

I imagine they'll get it translated when they have the money, since niche products like this can have big audiences in other languages. It's probably just a matter of time.

Top Bottom