• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Divinity: Original Sin |OT| Sandbox RPG. Co-Op friendly. Bread.

Necrovex

What's the story quality for this game? If it's a well told tale, I'll probably grab it. That's the only thing holding me off from getting it now.

How does the full game download work? Do I have to download 10 gigs again, or is it a smaller patch (or none at all) for those with the early access installed?

syko de4d

I knew I shouldn't have bought this game lol. I hate loot management and all this other crap that isn't playing the game. I haven't a clue what I am supposed to do. What's the best way to go through the game just fighting people? I don't care about the quest lines and the other nonsense.

Why did you bought the game? It´s a cRPG with alot of text and no hand holding. The only advice i can give you now is to not buy Pillars of Eternity, there will be even more "quest lines and the other nonsense".

Zukuu

Banned
Hybrid should be fine as long as you plan it properly.
and still be far worse than a normal character. The price to be "below average" in 2 roles isn't good enough to not be "great at 1 role". The penalty system is just too limiting and you don't have enough stats to make a hybrid character any good.

For lvl 2 stuff you need 10 strength AND 10 int to make use of those skills / magic without penalty... that's like more than a few level, where as a pure fighter / wizard could have that EASILY AND a good amount of other stats (perceptions, speed or vitality).

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Just picked up the collector's edition with a friend. I'm ready to roll tonight. Looking forward to it.

Hari Seldon

and still be far worse than a normal character. The price to be "below average" in 2 roles isn't good enough to not be "great at 1 role". The penalty system is just too limiting and you don't have enough stats to make a hybrid character any good.

For lvl 2 stuff you need 10 strength AND 10 int to make use of those skills / magic without penalty... that's like more than a few level, where as a pure fighter / wizard could have that EASILY AND a good amount of other stats (perceptions, speed or vitality).

How about Rogues? I figure steeling and general B&E activities should be pretty fun in a game like this. Should I roll a ranger or something and give him rogue skills?

Zakalwe

Banned

For a SP game it doesn't matter in the slightest though. I tried it in the beta and it worked perfectly well for all the content I accessed.

How about Rogues? I figure steeling and general B&E activities should be pretty fun in a game like this. Should I roll a ranger or something and give him rogue skills?

That's what I did. The skills are modified by perception and dexterity which are both required for rogue and ranger, so either can use the stealing skils effectively.

Complistic

What are some good class combos? I have very little experience in a game like this. Should probably stay clear of hybrids. At least for now.

Halp.

I'm dying here waiting for my backer key to work. Seriously.

I mean, technically you are getting older each second you wait, so it's not untrue.

I'm at work....I totally meant to bring in Phantom Dust today for some analysis, but forgot it... Since I did and other things aren't working at the moment, I'm contemplating installing D:OS on my work PC... :\

Since everyone is being so nice... I'll ask more questions.

1. Sometimes when I level some skills allow for skill-ups greater than 1, while others don't have the + symbol next to them (ie pyromaniac). Is that because certain skills are blocked from leveling until a certain character level, or are they stuck at 1 permanently?

2. Can I craft immediately (first town)? Is it super involved with forges, looms, etc. or is it drag and drop two things together?

3. How have people done with double Lone Wolf talent? My friend and I are debating going double Lone Wolf on our new start tonight and running 2 man. Can we do it or is it hard as hell?

Zeliard

Not everyone is interested in min-maxing. If he wants to play a battlemage because it's more fun, let him.

Snackawho

I'm thinking of using knight + ranger combo. Do you get the mage companion relatively early? If not i'm thinking of exchanging the ranger for wizard

CmdBash

bought the Co-Op Deluxe Pack from early access and now its replaced with the collectors edition pack. do I get the source hunters dlc?

What are some good class combos? I have very little experience in a game like this. Should probably stay clear of hybrids. At least for now.

Halp.

Could be totally off but just keeping up over the past few pages it seems like you should potentially avoid hybrid classes, rogue melee might be tough to set up properly and 2H melee seems to be more effective than sword and board.

Super insanely early but knights, mages and ranger specs seem to be receiving positive feedback so far.

pfkas

Just playing through the tutorial dungeon, found an intelligence potion +2. Is that a permanent stat increase or only temporary?

Herla

Well...my graphics card reached 97°C during character creation. I think I'll wait for the sun to go down before doing anything else...

Zakalwe

Banned
Since everyone is being so nice... I'll ask more questions.

1. Sometimes when I level some skills allow for skill-ups greater than 1, while others don't have the + symbol next to them (ie pyromaniac). Is that because certain skills are blocked from leveling until a certain character level, or are they stuck at 1 permanently?

First time it costs +1 to level a skill.
Second +2.
Third +3.

You wont' see the +2 option until you actually have 2 points to invest.

2. Can I craft immediately (first town)? Is it super involved with forges, looms, etc. or is it drag and drop two things together?

Drag and drop for things like arrowheads + shafts, flour + water, etc... not sure if there's any more intricate crafting requiring workstations.

3. How have people done with double Lone Wolf talent? My friend and I are debating going double Lone Wolf on our new start tonight and running 2 man. Can we do it or is it hard as hell?

Should be fine, but you will lose a bit of utility. The game won't be impossible but each encoutner is kind of like a puzzle to solve, so with less utility it might become quite tricky at times.

Depends on what characters you want to take. If you're both going melee, for instance, you'll find it much harder than if you chose, say. Knight and Mage.

Remember, the two companions in the game have actual sotry interactions too, so you will miss out on conversatiosn and character interactions if you don't take them.

Rad-

I made hybrids... bitches. My main guy has air magic and witchcraft + can sneak and backstab.

My second character aka my waifu is a tank who can do a bit of ice magic for the heals. She will also take care of crafting and smithing.

Was fairly in the dark about this game, only knew a little about it. Been hearing really good things on twitter today though so decided to wing it and grab it while it was still discounted on Steam. I love me some RPGs.

Remember, the two companions in the game have actual sotry interactions too, so you will miss out on conversatiosn and character interactions if you don't take them.

Oh, are there only 2 companions in the whole game? I know you get the first 2 in town, but just assumed there would be more available as the story progressed.

epmode

Oh, are there only 2 companions in the whole game? I know you get the first 2 in town, but just assumed there would be more available as the story progressed.

That was the idea but Larian ran out of time and/or money. They'll be patching in extra companions later.

That was the idea but Larian ran out of time and/or money. They'll be patching in extra companions later.

And they're always the same class? I forget what they were, but could you spoiler their classes for me? I'd like my group to have variety and wouldn't want to double up on classes.

These companions are pretty much mandatory, correct? Otherwise the game is too hard?

Zakalwe

Banned
And they're always the same class? I forget what they were, but could you spoiler their classes for me? I'd like my group to have variety and wouldn't want to double up on classes.

These companions are pretty much mandatory, correct? Otherwise the game is too hard?

You can either go 2, 3, 4 sized party.

You have your two characters, and each one can hire a companion/henchman.

Each character can take a skill called Lone Wolf that buffs their stats at the cost of not being able to hire a compation/henchman.

I think the game will be perfectly playable with 2 or 3, as long as you cover enough bases with your power sets.

The two companions are
Mage (found in the libary)
and
Warrior (at the inn).

Companions will converse with you and contribute to the story.

Henchman are also available to hire, but they're silent. Apparently there are lots and every base is covered, so unless you really want access to the interactions Companions give, you'll be free to build your party however you want.

Top Bottom