• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you reckon Bungie could pull a MGS2 on us?

.....and change playable characters a couple of levels into the game ?

I reckon the thought of being a covenant member on a rampage of death and destruction would be pretty cool. Im sure many would disagree though.

Your thoughts ?

impirius

15 minute codec conversations with Cortana? WELL SIGN ME UP

Oh yeah, to actually address your question... it just wouldn't fit. One of the cool things about Halo is that it gives you a view of this huge intergalactic war through one man's eyes.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Uhm, no.

Kinda off topic, but what FPS games forced you to switch characters midgame? I can't think of any right now

Catalyst

Banned
Yikes. But I still loved MGS2 and its story (I'm a minority for the latter). So that'd be fine by me. Either way, this game will still be epic and Godly. It'll have that great save-the-world feeling...but it'll be a lot more....real. Can't wait. MGS2 rules.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Yeah but I wouldn't count Max Payne 2 since that's not a first person shooter. I think it's different with Max Payne 2 cause you actually see the character you are controlling, so you knew that you were controlling Mona or Max. But for first person shooters, were there any games that actually forced you to switch characters?

It could explain the massive secrecy surrounding the game no? 3rd level in and your a prophet on a killing spree.

Food for Thought.

AeroGod

Master Chief will get naked and do cartwheels in a covenant spaceship. GOTY, 10/10, 20 million copies sold in a week.

Catalyst

Banned
Wario64 said:
Yeah but I wouldn't count Max Payne 2 since that's not a first person shooter. I think it's different with Max Payne 2 cause you actually see the character you are controlling, so you knew that you were controlling Mona or Max. But for first person shooters, were there any games that actually forced you to switch characters?
None that I can remember....but I don't think that was his point....he was probably just talking about it being "an MGS2" because of all the hype it'd garner, and then turn out to be something totally unexpected. Like MGS2.

jett

D-Member
Would it matter? Master Chief is a faceless avatar with nearly no personality whatsoever.

Forgot to mention that he has no actual name, either. :p

Nos_G

jett said:
Would it matter? Master Chief is a faceless avatar with nearly no personality whatsoever.

Forgot to mention that he has no actual name, either. :p

His name is John. :O SHOCK AND AWE!!!

Wario64 said:
Uhm, no.

Kinda off topic, but what FPS games forced you to switch characters midgame? I can't think of any right now

Well, in Perfect Dark you could play with Mr. Blonde and Elvis in some unlockable missions, but indeed those were extras.

GhaleonEB

Bungie has said over and over that they did not want to mess with what made Halo such a great game. Rather, they were going to build on the strengths of the game and amend its' weaknesses (level repetition, storytelling and story scope). They have been adamant that you play as the Master Chief through the game, I would be floored if they messed with that formula.

Especially after the MGS2 fiasco.

Catalyst

Banned
DrSandwich said:
Catalyst: thats exactly what I meant
Thought so...people sometimes, if not always, take things out of context, and sometimes it's very frustrating....so I figured I'd step in and interpret what you meant since I am the kind of person who proposes the kinds of misunderstood questions you did. Wow, I talk a lot.

Anyway, I'm also pretty afraid of this happening in this game, in all seriousness. It has a lot of hype, and what looks to be one of the greatest stories ever told in a videogame, with so much style and wit and badassery. And if it does, I hope to God Almighty it's good.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
GhaleonEB said:
Bungie has said over and over that they did not want to mess with what made Halo such a great game. Rather, they were going to build on the strengths of the game and amend its' weaknesses (level repetition, storytelling and story scope). They have been adamant that you play as the Master Chief through the game, I would be floored if they messed with that formula.

Especially after the MGS2 fiasco.

Prepare yourself, as you'll be playing as Cortana all game long and watch master chief beat the game. All you'll be able to do is give useless information to Master Chief in either ear (triggers do this), and comment on how spacey it is in there.

For some kind of surprise, I'd like to see 'choose your own adventure'-style turning points that significantly alter the course of the story and the resulting missions and level flow...even the ending. That'd be cake on top of the already talked about mutiple ways through missions.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
reading the thread title, i immediately thought of "what if halo 2's story, which has been ultra secretive thus far, ended up being overly preachy, convoluted and just a plain POS fucking mess". that, honestly, has me much more scared now then worrying about switching characters :(

thanks alot

/me *very depressed

Ristamar

Wario64 said:
Uhm, no.

Not really a strong example, but the TimeSplitters games made you switch every single level.

op_ivy

Ristamar said:
Not really a strong example, but the TimeSplitters games made you switch every single level.

killzone does, right?

and CoD too, iirc

Justin

We were talking about this at work and decided that there is only one way it would work. From the leaked trailer and everything they have shown Earth looks pretty messed up. Master Chief cant do all the clean-up on his own. At some point you meet/ find out about the existence of a covenant rebel group. You would switch back and forth between MC's group and the rebel covenant group as you team up to save earth. Master Chief would be doing missions on the ground while the rebel group would be assaulting the Covenent ship orbiting earth.

That sounds like it would be real cool. Again, just an Idea.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
DopeyFish said:
his name is john

He's a Spartan II, Spartan 117 ... Spartan 2, #7? :eek: shock and awe!

Actually in the first book they call him John117. At first they just call him 117.
I haven't finished it yet or touched the second and third ones. So if you are giving info from those two you may be right.

op_ivy

skip said:
killzone doesn't make you switch, though you do have the option.

really? you can play through the whole game as the same guy? thats pretty cool, should make it at least replayable

DrSandwich said:
.....and change playable characters a couple of levels into the game ?

I reckon the thought of being a covenant member on a rampage of death and destruction would be pretty cool. Im sure many would disagree though.

Your thoughts ?
it would kick ass if they just killed off the master chief out of nowhere, then you get to play as that girl Jan in the wav's...

oh wait, no, it wouldn't...

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Theres 3 Other spartans that survived reach, they might be in the game i guess, i doubt it though, everything released points firmly at the MC as the saviour of earth, wouldnt really be true if he had lots helpers along the way.

The story is the most interesting part of Halo 2 for me though, i cant wait to see how/why he is gonna save the earth, go to another halo ring and the covenant homeworld (if thats still in) all in one game.

MaddenNFL64

Ghost said:
Theres 3 Other spartans that survived reach, they might be in the game i guess, i doubt it though, everything released points firmly at the MC as the saviour of earth, wouldnt really be true if he had lots helpers along the way.

The story is the most interesting part of Halo 2 for me though, i cant wait to see how/why he is gonna save the earth, go to another halo ring and the covenant homeworld (if thats still in) all in one game.

I would love it for the game to end with MC, a handful of other surviving Spartans, and the whole god damn Earth military assaulting the Covenant homeworld. You would see MC look down at their world, and say something badass, then fade to black.

HALO 3: Only on Xenon!

MaddenNFL64 said:
I would love it for the game to end with MC, a handful of other surviving Spartans, and the whole god damn Earth military assaulting the Covenant homeworld. You would see MC look down at their world, and say something badass, then fade to black.

If the single-player game was big (and satisfying) enough to do that, this would be a pretty inspired way to give players a reason to upgrade at launch. Doubt it, though.

Still, from a marketing perspective...hmmm...2 month vacation for Bungie...assuming the design for the game was much bigger than what has been finished for Halo 2 and that it was done (overall), but needed to be 'filled in'....10-20 months for development of Halo 3 on Xenon...'06 PS3/Revolution launch time release. Nah.

Joe

i wonder if MS will put game demos on the halo2 disc? i think it may be better to keep them off the halo disc and include an entirely seperate disc.

mrmyth

MaddenNFL64 said:

It'd be out of character for the Chief to speak. First we'd get a long shot of the Covie homeworld. Then a ragtag collection of battle scarred human cruisers and captured Covie warships would slowly wink into existence around the planet. The Covie ships's plasma turrets would start heating up even as dropships pour out of every ship with a workable launch bay. There'd radio COM traffic as they descended, Cortana would be noting the conditions of the planet ("atmosphere at 80% oxygen, 5% percent methane, 15% mercury. The suit's air scrubbers should work just fine, Chief.") Assorted shots of Marines/ODSTs checking weaponry. Sarge gets a closeup and grunt and he chews on a cigar.
Then whatever passes for clouds on the Covie homeworld would part revealing one of their major cities - smash cut to an Elite on the ground looking up as Shiva missles leave the human ships and streak toward the ground. Razor thin red plasma beams begin bisecting the buildings. Zoom in on the Chief as his dropship lands and he hops out, gun at the ready, and the camera continues zooming into his visor and fade out.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Chief speaks all the time, he had the last line in the first game! he's not some kind of lame mute character (*cheap shot*)

op_ivy said:
what if halo 2's story, which has been ultra secretive thus far, ended up being overly preachy

Oh man I really hope that's not the case...I really hated being preached to in the Metal Gear games, what a fucken drag.. I think Bungie are smarter than that...(I hope)

Catalyst

Banned
PanopticBlue said:
Oh man I really hope that's not the case...I really hated being preached to in the Metal Gear games, what a fucken drag.. I think Bungie are smarter than that...(I hope)
What's wrong with it being preachy? If it's a good game, it's a good game. Play it for what it is, or don't play it for what it is. But Master Chief's name is John 117. XBN even mentioned it was. Could it be something Biblical? There are four John books in the Bible, and only two verses could make some sense...maybe it's 11:7? *checks*

Doing some analytical work. Quoting from my college Oxford Bible. Maybe these could be used someday, or used in your daily discussions with peers...or something.

John 11:7 (Part of Lazarus)
Then after this he said to the disciples, "Let us go to Judea again."

John 1:17
The law indeed was given through Moses; grace and truth came through Jesus Christ.

Maybe this could be metaphorical and analogous/parallel to Halo 2's story? Going to quote verses from 1, 2, and 3 John. Oh wait, I forget...

There's no 1 John 11:7.

There's no 1 John 1:17

There's no 2 John 11:7

There's no 2 John 1:17

There's no 3 John 11:7

There's no 3 John 1:17

Anyway, XBN talked about surviving Spartan soldiers. I believe it also mentioned they will fight alongside you as well. Oh, and what's wrong with Chief talking? He's human, you know. I'd love to hear him speak more, personally.

ced

The only thing that has me thinking is the comments about unexpected allies, and I dont think all that work that went into Elite animations and modeling was for MP alone.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
neither of those quotations seems particularly relevant to master chief. although i guess the marketing department has started calling him a "savior."

john also wrote revelations. could you pull the corresponding lines from that?

Catalyst

Banned
drohne said:
neither of those quotations seems particularly relevant to master chief. although i guess the marketing department has started calling him a "savior."

john also wrote revelations. could you pull the corresponding lines from that?
The covenant battle and the epic saga that this is developing into reminds me a lot of The Matrix series, and a LOT of The Matrix has a LOT of Christian symbolism (it's obvious -- some could construe some of it as Buddhism, but you analyze the whole movies piece by piece, and you get something Biblical...for the record). But yeah...

Also, John the Baptist didn't write Revelation...this is a different John, exiled to the island of Patmos, where he had his revelation. Not to come off as anal or rude, just to fix a common misconception.

So the the point, and you'll have to forgive my meticulous attention to everything. I'm working at a different workstation right now...let me see if someone has a Bible handy. If not, I guess I'll pull from Bible.com. Here we go.

Revelation 1:17 NIV (coming off the Seven Stars line :D):
When I saw him, I fell at his feet as though dead. Then he placed his right hand on me and said: "Do not be afraid. I am the First and the Last...."

Revelation 11:7 NIV
Now when they have finished their testimony, the beast that comes up from the Abyss will attack them, and overpower and kill them.

So, wow. All I've written really could be correlated with the whole Master Chief savior thing. Something HUGE is going to happen, you guys. Get the fuck ready.

EDIT: Crap, I accidentally put in 11:17...fixed to actual 11:7.

Links:
Revelation 11
Revelation 1

EDIT 2: Man, I need to take my time with this :(

Jesiatha

Catalyst said:
Also, John the Baptist didn't write Revelation...this is a different John, exiled to the island of Patmos, where he had his revelation. Not to come off as anal or rude, just to fix a common misconception.

You do realize that John the baptist didn't write the other books (the gospel and the letters), right? They were all written by the apostle.

Top Bottom