• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you think calling the current HMDs and their games "Virtual Reality", hurts how they are perceived as?

Wonko_C

There seems to be a recent influx of new VR players recently and I stumbled on a couple of videos (it's always fun watching people's reactions). One of them in particular commented on how while he loved the experience, there are a couple of things that made he says "I'm still playing a video game" or "It still didn't fool me into thinking it was real". To which I say: Well duh! what were you expecting? of course it's a video game, not only that, you're playing it on the same hardware you play flatscreen videogames, it's ovbious it would still look like a video game.

Am I alone in thinking VR should not be seen as a replacement for reality but as a way to be inside a video game? When I was a kid and I played Doom I started dreaming that I was inside Doom, but never imagined it as a "realistic" version of Doom, I just wanted to be inside Doom as it was, pixelated graphics and all. (And I can finally do it with QuestZDoom, and it was exactly as I imagined back in my childhood)

Sure there are tons of realistic-looking games that simulate physics and interactions, but I still look at them as video games, and I don't need to look at them as anything more than that.

Last edited:

RagnarokIV

Battlebus imprisoning me \m/ >.< \m/
Yeah, should be futuristic and shit. Like 360 degree movement in a new world. Like X-Men Danger Room

Last edited:
Top Bottom