• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you think the PS5 Pro and Switch Successor will get announced this year?

Do you think the PS5 Pro and Switch Successor will get announced this year?

• Both will be announced this year

Votes: 42 32.1%
  • PS5 Pro will, but not Switch Successor

Votes: 77 58.8%
  • Switch Successor will, but not PS5 Pro

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • Neither will get announced this year

Votes: 9 6.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

LakeOf9

Sony and Nintendo are both widely expected to announce new hardware, but both have been delaying that as much as possible, leading to their respective fanbases being edged. Do you think these systems are actually getting announced this year?

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
PS5 Pro will absolutely get announced and probably even released this year.

I hope the Switch 2 gets announced this year, but smart money would bet on it getting announced early next year, with a late spring release date. Nintendo probably wants to get one more good holiday for the Switch 1.

lachesis

Gold Member
PS5 Pro - probably will be announced soon and released by end of year.
Switch 2 - probably will be announced, but will probably be released early next year sometime around March to May.

Robb

Gold Member
I’m feeling optimistic today, so I’ll go with both.

But I feel Ps5 Pro is a guarantee, while Switch 2 is a lot more uncertain. Although Nintendo combining and scheduling both a IndieWorld and Partner Nintendo Direct for the first time ever last month makes me think they had to get those out of the way because they have other big things planned for September /Oktober.

Last edited:

mystech

The PS5 Pro seems imminent. I’d bet on it getting shown at an event this month with a release soon after. I’m thinking Sony will keep a small gap between the announcement and release to ensure they don’t stagnate sales.

Now the next Switch is more of a wild card. Nintendo has said they will avoid scalping for their next system by having an abundance of stock at launch. This means mass production will need to begin fairly soon if they are planning for an April-June 2025 launch window. If they wait until early next year to announce it, they risk major leaks coming from their manufacturing partners before they have a chance to officially show it. They also run the risk of not having enough time to build hype before the launch.

I’m thinking Nintendo does:

- September or October: Teaser announcement with minor details.

- January or February: Deeper dive direct fully focused on the Switch 2 hardware and launch games. Preorder goes live after show.

- March or April: One more show to build extra hype before release.

- April - June: Release

Dr.D00p

The only reason it would make any sense for Nintendo to announce the Switch 2 before the Christmas Sales period is if they plan to give the current model a juicy price cut, to clear out stocks in time for the new one, IMO.

Hookshot

Gold Member
Both will be announced but both are waiting for the other to have to announce first, which will be have to be PlayStation.

PlayStation want their new pro model to look like it absolutely crushes the switch 2 in graphics, so they want to show it after the Switch 2 for comparisons. "Buy now, don't wait for that outdated trash".

Nintendo want their new console to take the thoughts away from a mere refresh so they want to show it after the Pro. "Don't buy now, the hot thing is next year".

Xyphie

PS5 Pro is days away with Q4 release.
Switch 2 will try to ride out the holiday season, and announce early Q1. Will probably get major leaks from manufacturing before that.

yurinka

I think PS5 Pro will be announced this month and released in November. Switch 2 properly announced/shown/detailed in March (maybe get a small teaser announcement before) and released in April or May.

Last edited:

Little Mac

Gold Member
PS5 is going to be announced on the 6th when the one true GOTY and savior Astro Bot releases!

Praise The Lord Applause GIF

RCU005

If the Switch 2 releases Q1 2025, of course it will be announced this year. They said they will talk about it this fiscal year which ends in April 2025, but it seems logical to assume the console will release in March/April to begin the new fiscal year with the new console (as they did with the switch)

All points sign to the PS5 Pro being real, so it is very likely they’ll repeat their strategy with the PS4 Pro (announce in September and release in November). However, the fact that the PS5 releases means that Sony is so out of touch this gen. The economy is bad everywhere but they keep increasing prices and releasing expensive products. Then, they haven’t released but a few first party games that don’t even use the power of the PS5, and they keep releasing cross gen games. Will people really buy this only for having 60 fps?

jm89

Pro announcement is imminent.

Nintendo might want to squeeze the last bit out of the switch this holiday, so could benefit them delaying a switch 2 announcement until next year.

simpatico

Gold Member
They'd be fools to go into the holiday season with a lame duck console. Only announce now if you can release before November. Otherwise, wait til Feb-March.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
They'd be fools to go into the holiday season with a lame duck console. Only announce now if you can release before November. Otherwise, wait til Feb-March.

Totally, why would they put people off as we head into the biggest retail period of the year. The only reason to do it would be if sales had stopped but you couldn't get new hardware out yet and wanted to put people off buying competitor hardware.

As is, the Switch has it's own market so they'd only be spoiling their own sales.

As for Sony, no idea, it's September now, we've had the big games show of the summer. Seems strange to not have mentioned it by now.

Last edited:

Zathalus

I voted both. Pro I’m certain about and I’m hopeful (although not at all certain) for the Switch 2.

Day one for both.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
Switch 2 no, PS5 Pro couldn't care less.
You aren't excited to see people fawning over the equivalent of upgrading a GPU from an xx70 to an xx80 Super?

Seriously the 2 things aren't in the same league. Useless upgrade vs a whole new disappointing console from Nintendo that will punch above its weight and lead to great games last gen looking games.

cireza

Gold Member
You aren't excited to see people fawning over the equivalent of upgrading a GPU from an xx70 to an xx80 Super?

Seriously the 2 things aren't in the same league. Useless upgrade vs a whole new disappointing console from Nintendo that will punch above its weight and lead to great games last gen looking games.
So the real question is "which one is going to suck the most ?"

This might bring some entertainment actually.

Top Bottom