• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT11| $400 of Support and Passion

So is macro using bannable?

http://dev.dota2.com/showthread.php?t=50605&page=68&p=363301&viewfull=1#post363301

says it is.

Nothing pisses me off more than meepo/invoker players using macros.

Wow, can't even report the player because their profile is marked private. Flawless system valve.

Well you can only report someone during the game. It sucks but thats what we have. Used to be that you could report on a replay as well but they took that out for some reason.

just pls don't wear that in public
dac15_sad.gif

I'll only wear it during Smash Tournaments or when I feel like playing Mid.

Yasae

Banned
Not even close. Naga has a ridiculously higher skill cap than Techies. Obviously, that makes little difference to pros as high skill cap is something they don't struggle with in general but in pubs? Fuck off with Techies. Absolutely game ruining hero and stupid strong at the moment. I feel like leaving the game the moment I see him picked.
Counter to techies: Zeus, carefully placed sentries, having sight in the first place so you know where he is, early gem.

If you don't have at least some of those then yeah you're fucked. Supports need to pull their weight with techies. How many gems already have we see this TI? A million and a half? There's seriously like 3 or 4 gems every single game. People will spectate Arteezy and duplicate his item builds like the pub trash they are, but the importance of true sight will forever remain lost....

Counter to techies: Zeus, carefully placed sentries, having sight in the first place so you know where he is, early gem.

If you don't have at least some of those then yeah you're fucked. Supports need to pull their weight with techies. How many gems already have we see this TI? A million and a half? There's seriously like 3 or 4 gems every single game. People will spectate Arteezy and duplicate his item builds like the pub trash they are, but the importance of true sight will forever remain lost....

"guys its ok i have bottle and euls at 18 minutes on my SF, now I just have to get phase boots and we win xd"
dac15_nosewipe.gif

kionedrik

Pros buying gems is a common thing in every game, even games without techies or any invis heroes, simply because you want to deny as much vision to your enemy as possible as "control the map". It is also important to notice they only tend to buy gem once they are ahead or, rarely, as a desperation move when they are too far behind in order to try to get some control over farming territory. It's a big investment that needs short term payoff.

How to counter pub techies 101: Have 2 brain cells and avoid common mine places and chokepoints as much as possible, and if you really need to cross that terrain place a sentry first.

edit: Lately, even while playing a core, I'll buy a gem as soon as I finish my first core item if there's a bh or techies.

Yasae

Banned
Here's what's gotten my goat this TI:

Are you REALLY not going to get one point in homing missile?

Are you REALLY not going to get one point in maledict? Are you really skilling stats instead?

I understand why "pros" make these choices early on, but nobody playing the game should be level 10 without either of these skills. One's a 2.2s stun and the other can - even at level one - outpace whatever damage you gained from skilling stats one time. By all means don't level them........ But not even one value point?

Yasae

Banned
Pros buying gems is a common thing in every game, even games without techies or any invis heroes, simply because you want to deny as much vision to your enemy as possible as "control the map". It is also important to notice they only tend to buy gem once they are ahead or, rarely, as a desperation move when they are too far behind in order to try to get some control over farming territory. It's a big investment that needs short term payoff.

How to counter pub techies 101: Have 2 brain cells and avoid common mine places and chokepoints as much as possible, and if you really need to cross that terrain place a sentry first.

edit: Lately, even while playing a core, I'll buy a gem as soon as I finish my first core item if there's a bh or techies.
Alright. And? People still miss it. I know they're buying gems for a lot of other reasons.

kionedrik

Alright. And? People still miss it. I know they're buying gems for a lot of other reasons.

I was pointing that they buy gems for other reasons besides finding mines or invis enemies, which upon 2nd reading of your post is what you were pointing out as well, so silly me.

And I agree with your rant against the mindless drones that copy skill and item builds without trying to understand why pros do it like that or why it worked in that particular game. It's a loosing battle.

patapuf

Here's what's gotten my goat this TI:

Are you REALLY not going to get one point in homing missile?

Are you REALLY not going to get one point in maledict? Are you really skilling stats instead?

I understand why "pros" make these choices early on, but nobody playing the game should be level 10 without either of these skills. One's a 2.2s stun and the other can - even at level one - outpace whatever damage you gained from skilling stats one time. By all means don't level them........ But not even one value point?

Honestly, especially with the base int. nerf. homing missile isn't always needed especially if team has enough lockdown anyway.

I only put early points in it if i have a 1v1 lane or there's invis heroes around. The early stats do make a difference.

J2d

I continued playing a 4v5 game with three melee heroes and a batrider against techies, snipe, earth shaker and void plus kunka, I'm obviously brain dead so I should just delete dota.

Fee

Just got back into the game and have been having a good amount of success running gyro mid (for obvious reasons) What is the typical item progression on him? I've been doing bottle>phase>yasha>dom>sange>bkb and then some variance depending on the game.

ACE 1991

Just realized I'm going to be in Seattle next week.. I'm not huge into Dota anymore, but it'd be super cool to check out the games for a day. There is no way in hell I can get in at this point, right? Everything is sold out?

EDIT: Not willing to spend over $100 on scalped tickets... Are there day passes if I just show up to the Key Arena?

Just realized I'm going to be in Seattle next week.. I'm not huge into Dota anymore, but it'd be super cool to check out the games for a day. There is no way in hell I can get in at this point, right? Everything is sold out?

EDIT: Not willing to spend over $100 on scalped tickets... Are there day passes if I just show up to the Key Arena?

tickets sold out in like.2 minutes or something after coming out lol
Go to a pubstomp instead? http://www.dota2.com/pubstomps/listings/
Should have a good number of dota-ers in seattle

I don't think keyboard macros are bannable.
they are they're just near impossible to catch on their end I believe they've said

there are not day tickets avaliable

there are a few gaffers who had extras because of plans falling through or whatever and we're willing to part with them for face price you could try that

I think you have a good chance if you're in the area. last year the scalpers were getting desperate because they understood that this was less local and anyone there had tickets already and were just trying to get rid of them so maybe walk around for ten min and see what shows up

Chris R

Wondering if all the QoP picks we are seeing in the group stage will cause her to get more Arcana votes :(

Icefrog plz, nerf her

ACE 1991

they are they're just near impossible to catch on their end I believe they've said

there are a few gaffers who had extras because of plans falling through or whatever and we're willing to part with them for face price you could try that

I think you have a good chance if you're in the area. last year the scalpers were getting desperate because they understood that this was less local and anyone there had tickets already and were just trying to get rid of them so maybe walk around for ten min and see what shows up

What's the face value price? Guy on Reddit is claiming to sell one for $80.
EDIT: If anyone is selling a ticket, shoot me a PM.

Robot Carnival

Gold Member
https://www.dotabuff.com/matches/1671835384

https://www.dotabuff.com/matches/1671898570

https://www.dotabuff.com/matches/1671994975

https://www.dotabuff.com/matches/1672074790

is it because it's TI5 time? seems like there're more crazys out playing the late night games than usual.

there's this guy that I ran into the first 2 games last night that decided first to auto follow people and feed our courier. then the next game he went and go jungle and do nothing else (after I already said I'll jungle first).

after that, a game where someone abandoned 2 minutes in and another game where someone announced at start that he'll be playing Pudge even thou he sucks at it (tbh, it's more of the Lone Druid pick that screwed us over).

and finally the last game where our Warlock decided to walk straight down mid to feed to the tier 2 and 3 towers and AFK... what a terrible night >n<

Yasae

Banned
Honestly, especially with the base int. nerf. homing missile isn't always needed especially if team has enough lockdown anyway.

I only put early points in it if i have a 1v1 lane or there's invis heroes around. The early stats do make a difference.
I can see that. However, a good example of what I'm talking is Agressif in the most recent VG vs CDEC round, game one. He skills homing missile once..... At level 14. That seems like a bit much, and if you watch the replay there are more than a few spots where it would have been useful.

ACE 1991

100 bucks was what they sold for

be careful with reddit (as you would any other website)

Okay, got it. I don't think I would go for more than a day (I am making this trip to visit a friend who doesn't give a shit about Dota), so that is a bit pricy... Still, it would be super cool to be a part of this given that I'll be in the area.

Okay, got it. I don't think I would go for more than a day (I am making this trip to visit a friend who doesn't give a shit about Dota), so that is a bit pricy... Still, it would be super cool to be a part of this given that I'll be in the area.
yeah definitely look around

a couple years ago I was in the same situation (was in the area, could only go for a few hours) and somebody just let me have theirs for free since they weren't using it

good luck!

ACE 1991

yeah definitely look around

a couple years ago I was in the same situation (was in the area, could only go for a few hours) and somebody just let me have theirs for free since they weren't using it

good luck!

So you think it's worth it to lurk outside Key Arena beforehand?

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
I really don't want to see LGD win this tournament. No personality on any of those guys just uninteresting all around IMO.

I really don't want to see LGD win this tournament. No personality on any of those guys just uninteresting all around IMO.

yeah cause they chinese right
xiao8 a cool guy. but i guess you rather have memeshits win this because memes are so epic
LGD deserve it they're actually dominant

LGD
EG
Secret
VG
coL
CDEC

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
What the fuck kind of question is that?

how can you even have a favorite player you've never met any of them lol

What the fuck kind of question is that?

how can you even have a favorite player you've never met any of them lol

It doesn't make any sense, then why the hell are you saying they have no personality?

Or do you say that just because they aren't the spotlight for the western media covering the tournament?

Procarbine

Forever Platinum

Maledict is pretty worthless at level 1, and wd needs to stay alive longer and have more mana to sustain his aura, which is way more important. That and you often need to compromise your positioning to cast a relevant maledict, which you can't afford to do at the pro level.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Did they start mixing up the panelists in response to the 3 Merlinis meme? Finally got some much needed Sheever last night and now Kotlguy is sitting in. Never thought I'd see the day when adding a white dude to a panel was needed to give it some diversity.

domstah

It doesn't make any sense, then why the hell are you saying they have no personality?

Or do you say that just because they aren't the spotlight for the western media covering the tournament?

To be fair, last year I was cheering on VG in the finals simply because they managed to show that r0tk had a personality - something "they" haven't done with xiao8.

It's nothing to do with implied racism - the production team have done a great job adding a human side to certain players with their Free2Play style player pieces. Maybe they are saving the xiao8 one until the finals - just like they are probably saving the RTZ or Puppey ones.

It's a lot easier to cheer on the western teams because we know their some of their personalities. Besides VG and maybe IG, how often do we get to see most Chinese teams compete outside of China?

bounchfx

Any idea if we can get these at the Eurogamer Expo Secret Shop? I feel like I miss out on the best stuff all the time. :(

sorry, I just printed them myself for TI5 :(

Wait is that Bloodcyka set in the game?

the bloodseeker is not (yet!?), unfortunately. I'd like it to be, because I'm very proud of it! to me it's a better default :eek:)

I believe me and the artist I worked on it with might be updating it and resubmitting, adding more white into the shoulders or possibly redesigning them. Regardless, I hope its presence at the event makes an impression on valve. I'm really happy with how it came out.

ViviOggi

the bloodseeker is not (yet!?), unfortunately. I'd like it to be, because I'm very proud of it! to me it's a better default :eek:)

I believe me and the artist I worked on it with might be updating it and resubmitting, adding more white into the shoulders or possibly redesigning them. Regardless, I hope its presence at the event makes an impression on valve. I'm really happy with how it came out.
Ah yeah thought so. I was all over it back when you posted the workshop link here, fingers crossed Valve sees reason soon

Top Bottom