• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT11| $400 of Support and Passion

dave is ok

aztek is ok
Riots explanation for no sandbox mode made me laugh alot. This will help Secret fans who are feeling sad and anxious right now.

We’ve heard a number of player requests for a Sandbox Mode, with two main reasons: the first is trying out new content – which is something we value too. We want players to know what they’re getting and to be happy with the things they’re unlocking (we may investigate other ways to do this). The second is that players want to practice very specific skills without the constraints of a regular game. For this point, our stance is that sandbox mode is not the way to go. We want to make sure we’re clear: playing games of League of Legends should be the unequivocal best way for a player to improve. While there are very real skills one can develop in a hyperbolic time chamber, we never want that to be an expectation added onto an already high barrier to entry. On an individual level, we know this isn’t always true – some just want a space to practice flashing over walls without having to wait at least 3.6 minutes in between – but when that benefit is weighed against the risk of Sandbox mode ‘grinding’ becoming an expectation, we just can’t accept the tradeoff. We never want to see a day when a player wants to improve at League and their first obligation is to hop into a Sandbox. We do want to support your ability to grow in mastery, and there may be other avenues to do so, but not this.

inkls

Riots explanation for no sandbox mode made me laugh alot. This will help Secret fans who are feeling sad and anxious right now.

saw that, this along with their other communications makes it hard for me to even hate at this point when I see this kind of stuff, its insane.

How are people like that in charge

JC Sera

As much as I like to bash riot as the next dota player, a lot of this trouble seems sourced from being an independent small company start up with grounded ambitions. When they started out they didn't have the infrastructure, experience, grand ambitions, servers and $$$ valve has. I can't feel like being to critical of their situation, they probably could have done better over the years but this shit is hard and only clear as day in hindsight.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Can you imagine if, on patch day, you literally had to farm up Glimmer Cape in bots versus mode to test it?

My god.

They either have zero idea of what they're talking about or they're intentionally being dense because they're stubborn and don't want to do anything after Dota has already done it.

moba shit talking
cBj1LTf.png

Riot has always been very poor about managing their work load. This has been supported by former employees and insiders alike. They seem to be convinced their company should be structured in a certain way -- dominated by young minds -- but don't seem to want to admit that this is an issue.

That article just seems like pointing the finger to distract their players from their own failings, honestly.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
As much as I like to bash riot as the next dota player, a lot of this trouble seems sourced from being an independent small company start up with grounded ambitions. When they started out they didn't have the infrastructure, experience, grand ambitions, servers and $$$ valve has. I can't feel like being to critical of their situation, they probably could have done better over the years but this shit is hard and only clear as day in hindsight.
That was 5 years ago. And they aren't independent, they are part of Tencent, one of the biggest tech companies in China.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
that Riot post is the saddest thing re: a Moba design decision that I've seen in a while, holy shit. Falls in line with some of the 'anti-fun' stuff of old from their design team, though.

But at least with Luna now, we're seeing something other than Gyro/Lesh/QoP/Tusk every game.

Still don't quite get Tusk's role here at TI5, he's seemed pretty underwhelming thus far, at least on a non-farming support role.

TUSR

Banned
tusr am I waiting for you or what's goin on
You haven't even told me whats going on.
How did you guys not make like a whatsapp group or something

Would probably be easier than using a forum
Would love to, but Canadian telecomms.

Couldn't add an international data plan to my phone because they don't allow it on old business plans. Which means they want me to give up my 6GB of data a month and pay the same for 1GB.

You haven't even told me whats going on.

Would love to, but Canadian telecomms.

Couldn't add an international data plan to my phone because they don't allow it on old business plans. Which means they want me to give up my 6GB of data a month and pay the same for 1GB.
where are you I'll come to you

Top Bottom