• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT11| $400 of Support and Passion

Chris R

Is bandits still happening after this next series?

Also section 104/106 da best. Great screen angles and good booth viewing

I know what I meant.

So I went out to do my shopping and come back to CDEC demolishing LGD. Jesus.

Apparently Shiki carried super hard?

Shiki went off. That said, Xz has to get MVP for that series. His dark seer is even better than his Clock, and his Clock is the best I've ever seen.

IMG_1590.JPG
You guys been to any pubs?

Chris R

What is a donkey sniper? Walked by there a few times but haven't been in yet. Mostly been eating at breakfast place and then grabbing something from the Armory east of the Arena between games since it's usually to late for me to eat dinner when the games are done

Shinypogs

The fortune cookie that came with my Chinese food says "supports are there whenever you need them." I have never felt like a cookie has lied to me so much before.

Shouta

I've started playing the game but since I haven't played a MOBA in ages (having played LoL a few years ago) and I'm lacking DOTA2 specific knowledge, are there any guides on item orders and the like? Trying to figure out if I should prioritize healing/portals or movement and the like, lol

I've started playing the game but since I haven't played a MOBA in ages (having played LoL a few years ago) and I'm lacking DOTA2 specific knowledge, are there any guides on item orders and the like? Trying to figure out if I should prioritize healing/portals or movement and the like, lol

There are no clear item orders since that all depends on how the game folds out so it's hard to give advice on that, it depends on what role you are, who you're up against, how the game is going, what your farm is, etc. There was a recent guide Purge made that gets into item builds as well as everything else Dota(check the "What to buy ..." sections): https://purgegamers.true.io/g/dota-2-guide/. If you have any specific questions people in this thread are always willing to help.

tons! in game guides are avaliable, click the book in the top

the web has tons if them (dotafire, http://howdoiplay.com/ )

you can just check how most people build on Dotabuff

edit oh like basic outlines

get regen first thing, so you don't get harassed out of lane, throughout the game you'll rely less and less on them

always have a tp past like 10 mins, if not 2

patapuf

For item progression and skill selection there's guides ingame. click on the book tab on the top left when you are in match. It will highlight skills to pick when you level up and it will recommend items to buy when you click on the shop tab.

healing items like tangos and healing salve are usually only bought for the first 5 minutes of the game. Past the first few minutes you should always carry a town portal scroll.

Shouta

There are no clear item orders since that all depends on how the game folds out so it's hard to give advice on that, it depends on what role you are, who you're up against, how the game is going, what your farm is, etc. There was a recent guide Purge made that gets into item builds as well as everything else Dota(check the "What to buy ..." sections): https://purgegamers.true.io/g/dota-2-guide/. If you have any specific questions people in this thread are always willing to help.

Obviously, it'll depend. played LoL, I know that much. =P

Just general stuff like what items are useful early in general and all that. Courier, TPs, heals, etc.

tons! in game guides are avaliable, click the book in the top

the web has tons if them (dotafire, http://howdoiplay.com/ )

you can just check how most people build on Dotabuff

edit oh like basic outlines

get regen first thing, so you don't get harassed out of lane, throughout the game you'll rely less and less on them

always have a tp past like 10 mins, if not 2

Hmm, OK. Do you mean Health or Mana? Just dinking around, it feels like Mana I need to get mana going more in addition to being conservative with skill use until a situation arises.

Any notable early game items for those two?

For item progression and skill selection there's guides ingame. click on the book tab on the top left when you are in match. It will highlight skills to pick when you level up and it will recommend items to buy when you click on the shop tab.

healing items like tangos and healing salve are usually only bought for the first 5 minutes of the game. Past the first few minutes you should always carry a town portal scroll.

The in-game seems OK but it seems kind of basic, I guess? I'll try using that as a base as I dink around in mid and bot practice though.

iamblades

Obviously, it'll depend. played LoL, I know that much. =P

Just general stuff like what items are useful early in general and all that. Courier, TPs, heals, etc.

Hmm, OK. Do you mean Health or Mana? Just dinking around, it feels like Mana I need to get mana going more in addition to being conservative with skill use until a situation arises.

Any notable early game items for those two?

The in-game seems OK but it seems kind of basic, I guess? I'll try using that as a base as I dink around in mid and bot practice though.

Mostly health regen at the start, though there are heroes that need mana regen(heroes like earthshaker and venge and CM with low mana pool who need to cast spells early to have impact). You generally want 2 sets of health regen(some heroes can get away with 1, or even none in rare situations), which generally means a salve and a tango. If your lane opponent has more regen than you, they can easily focus on harrassing you out of lane, if they have 2 sets to your one, they can easily force you out of lane by trading harass even if you do more damage, as you will run out of regen earlier.

Most carry heroes can't really get away with using mana regen though, because clarity potions are easy to cancel if you go to last hit. Roaming supports like the above can blow their mana pool to get a kill in one lane, pop a clarity and walk to another and be ready to go by the time they get there.

For most heroes, it's just about being conservative with mana early. You have to use your spells to get something in return, you don't just throw them out because you have a button you can hit that is off cooldown. The general rule of thumb is that if it's not likely to lead to a kill, it's not worth casting a spell unless you can also secure a last hit at the same time. There are exceptions of course, if you can force them out of lane by casting on them, it's worth trading your mana for it, because thats almost as good as a kill. But just trading mana for hp harass if they have regen and can sustain through it is almost never a good trade.

Shouta

Mostly health regen at the start, though there are heroes that need mana regen(heroes like earthshaker and venge and CM with low mana pool who need to cast spells early to have impact). You generally want 2 sets of health regen(some heroes can get away with 1, or even none in rare situations), which generally means a salve and a tango. If your lane opponent has more regen than you, they can easily focus on harrassing you out of lane, if they have 2 sets to your one, they can easily force you out of lane by trading harass even if you do more damage, as you will run out of regen earlier.

Most carry heroes can't really get away with using mana regen though, because clarity potions are easy to cancel if you go to last hit. Roaming supports like the above can blow their mana pool to get a kill in one lane, pop a clarity and walk to another and be ready to go by the time they get there.

For most heroes, it's just about being conservative with mana early. You have to use your spells to get something in return, you don't just throw them out because you have a button you can hit that is off cooldown. The general rule of thumb is that if it's not likely to lead to a kill, it's not worth casting a spell unless you can also secure a last hit at the same time. There are exceptions of course, if you can force them out of lane by casting on them, it's worth trading your mana for it, because thats almost as good as a kill. But just trading mana for hp harass if they have regen and can sustain through it is almost never a good trade.

Makes sense in the early game. How about towards the middle game? Are there any specific items that help a bit while providing other benefits like stats?

Purge's guide on what to buy with at the start, includes items that give mana,health etc
Also has info about mid game items and much more
https://purgegamers.true.io/g/dota-2-guide/#what-to-buy-with-starting-gold

I think, in general, if you're playing someone who isn't mana starved getting 1 set of tangoes, 1 salve, and then something for early game (2 Branches + Circlet for a Wand or a Ring of Defense for Basilius, are the far reaching ones) is a good go-to. More mana reliant heroes might want a clarity or two. Perhaps even a mango if you might need a burst of mana for a fight (earthshaker, for example).

In mid game, I like Mek, Sange and Yasha or Manta, Orchid, Euls, Blink, Force Staff, Helm of the Dominator or Mask of Madness for an item dedicated to getting online quickly. These items are also core on many heroes, so it works out. Just make sure you're not building these items on heroes that don't benefit from them. An agility carry with low base attack time and damage shouldn't be building Mask of Madness, for sure. Similarly, an agility carry generally don't be rushing a force staff or mek (though it does happen, just ask FATA).

Really you just have to be mindful of what your hero benefits from (not building tons of int items on a mana independent agility carry), and what your opponents can do to you (building Manta over SnY if you're up against a hero with silences that really mess you up).

Makes sense in the early game. How about towards the middle game? Are there any specific items that help a bit while providing other benefits like stats?
A lot of supports like to get Force Staff as it has a great active ability but also gives you some minor health regen and +10 int which means you have a larger mana pool to work with, but that's just one example.

A lot of tanky initiation heroes like to go Blademail, besides the active ability it gives armor and +6 int, which is very handy as they usually have smaller mana pools(think Axe, Centaur, Clockwork).

Carries tend to get items like Drums, Sange and Yasha, Black King Bar, and Helm of the Dominator to be able to contribute to fights without dying extremely fast, all of them give some nice stats(though BKB is mostly gotten for the active ability) but it depends on the carry and the game which one you'll want(if any), Linkens used to be a very popular first item for more mana intensive carry heroes like Weaver, Morphling and Medusa as it gives some health and mana regen plus the passive ability.

I feel like I've forgotten a lot but honestly there's too much to cover in one post. All I've done is post some examples.

Shouta

Cool, I'll read the guides and check out heroes tomorrow. I'm probably gonna focus on ranged/supports as my best character in LoL was Twisted Fate, lol.

That character is the one I always go back to in LoL, heh.

iamblades

Ring of Basilius/Aquila is a good option for mana regen in the early mid game if you are on a core hero that needs the bit of mana regen and the stats from the ring.

A common build up is to start with the ring of protection salve tango and a couple branches, then pick up a sages mask at the side shop with your first 325 gold. This is basically the standard build up for any ranged carry that has spells to cast. For mana regen early game, a basi ring is best because it gives flat regen. Percentage based regen isn't great at all until you get more stats(33 intelligence to be specific, is where sage's mask becomes better than basi ring, which doesn't happen for many agi or str carries until fairly late in game). The +6 damage also helps a lot with early game last hitting, and the item builds into aquila or vladimirs, which are great options for early game carry items. I build a ring of aquila or a vlads on almost every physical damage carry, so an early basi ring build up is usually pretty good.

For supports(and some cores), an early headdress does some decent hp regen over time to negate periodic harass, and arcane boots for mana whtn you can afford it, or tranquils if you don't need mana regen but need more hp regen.

You generally want to avoid lifesteal and percentage based regen whenever possible in the early to mid game in most cases.

Finally, Soul ring is also a great utility/regen item in the early midgame. It gives a small base flat hp regen, and has an active that allows you to trade hp for a temporary mana boost. This is very useful for heroes that need to regularly cast abilities and aren't taking much damage from harassment. It also builds into bloodstone which is basically the king of all regen items, but it is a very expensive item that is only good as a first item on specific heroes in the right situations. Soul ring is a good alternative to basi fro strength cores who probably aren't going to build a vlads like wraith king, dragon knight, chaos knight, etc, in addition to being good on jungling heroes like enigma and mids like storm spirit and tinker.

That basically covers early/midgame regen items i think.

Don't forget about magic wand and Bottle also.

Wand is particularly good against opponents who like to spam spells, like Brislte/Skywrath or Storm etc. But in practice I think I get a full wand in almost every game now, it's one of the best early survivability items.

Madouu

Just remember that for most (fun) heroes, items are just as much about the active they give you than stats.

Magic stick this patch is almost always good, still not as OP as bottle though.

I just started playing Dota and am looking to play with other players since my friends do not like MOBA's. Is there anyone that would like playing with me? I'm Dutch, so western-europe based.

Anyone else getting performance issues in reborn?

I'm getting 20-30 fps, while I'm usually getting a rock solid 60.

Even lowered all the details to minimum for a test, still getting max 30fps.

Haunted

Cool, I'll read the guides and check out heroes tomorrow. I'm probably gonna focus on ranged/supports as my best character in LoL was Twisted Fate, lol.

The beauty of Dota is that you can just jump in and test out all the characters (well, realistically only a portion of them because there are too many xD) until you find a hero you really gel with.

Pratfall

I just started playing Dota and am looking to play with other players since my friends do not like MOBA's. Is there anyone that would like playing with me? I'm Dutch, so western-europe based.

our stack already has two dutch people and we put up with them ok. whats 1 more?

Shouta

Ring of Basilius/Aquila is a good option for mana regen in the early mid game if you are on a core hero that needs the bit of mana regen and the stats from the ring.

A common build up is to start with the ring of protection salve tango and a couple branches, then pick up a sages mask at the side shop with your first 325 gold. This is basically the standard build up for any ranged carry that has spells to cast. For mana regen early game, a basi ring is best because it gives flat regen. Percentage based regen isn't great at all until you get more stats(33 intelligence to be specific, is where sage's mask becomes better than basi ring, which doesn't happen for many agi or str carries until fairly late in game). The +6 damage also helps a lot with early game last hitting, and the item builds into aquila or vladimirs, which are great options for early game carry items. I build a ring of aquila or a vlads on almost every physical damage carry, so an early basi ring build up is usually pretty good.

For supports(and some cores), an early headdress does some decent hp regen over time to negate periodic harass, and arcane boots for mana whtn you can afford it, or tranquils if you don't need mana regen but need more hp regen.

You generally want to avoid lifesteal and percentage based regen whenever possible in the early to mid game in most cases.

Finally, Soul ring is also a great utility/regen item in the early midgame. It gives a small base flat hp regen, and has an active that allows you to trade hp for a temporary mana boost. This is very useful for heroes that need to regularly cast abilities and aren't taking much damage from harassment. It also builds into bloodstone which is basically the king of all regen items, but it is a very expensive item that is only good as a first item on specific heroes in the right situations. Soul ring is a good alternative to basi fro strength cores who probably aren't going to build a vlads like wraith king, dragon knight, chaos knight, etc, in addition to being good on jungling heroes like enigma and mids like storm spirit and tinker.

That basically covers early/midgame regen items i think.

Awesome! Thanks.

As I mentioned, I played Twisted Fate in LoL so I had a built in mana recovery mechanic. I only needed to build a bit of mana regen and a decent pool of mana to use when I was supporting or being an AP or AD carry. So I'm really use to having some kind of mana regen to help me stay in the field as long as possible. Obviously not going to have a mana mechanic but I can cover myself with timed use of specials.

I shouldn't have watched the EG series, too much Dota for one day.

I dreamt that I had to play versus a Techies, THANKS EG.

Why? Those games are pretty good.
Ahh... yes Techies... I'm not expecting Techies pickers to regress any time soon

Awesome! Thanks.

As I mentioned, I played Twisted Fate in LoL so I had a built in mana recovery mechanic. I only needed to build a bit of mana regen and a decent pool of mana to use when I was supporting or being an AP or AD carry. So I'm really use to having some kind of mana regen to help me stay in the field as long as possible. Obviously not going to have a mana mechanic but I can cover myself with timed use of specials.

Try playing Keeper of the Light. He has a skill that grants you mana though you need to be able to position yourself correctly all the time as he is so squishy and lacks a reliable escape. My personal suggestion though is Ogremagi (buy Arcane boots or soul ring for the mana). He's a very easy hero to start playing with and he is quite tanky compared to other supports.

Has anyone officially decided /commented on what is going on with the shop glitches? Every game I've played in the past 4 weeks has had 1-4 players disconnect and then reconnect because there is a shop glitch.

Shouta

Why? Those games are pretty good.
Ahh... yes Techies... I'm not expecting Techies pickers to regress any time soon

Try playing Keeper of the Light. He has a skill that grants you mana though you need to be able to position yourself correctly all the time as he is so squishy and lacks a reliable escape. My personal suggestion though is Ogremagi (buy Arcane boots or soul ring for the mana). He's a very easy hero to start playing with and he is quite tanky compared to other supports.

Cool! I''ll check out that Hero after work. TF was squishy too which is why I always ended up getting boots early, and it was pretty normal starting out at the time. Moving around the field faster meant I could get out of range of folks and harass better when chasing

Awesome! Thanks.

Crystal Maiden is a hero that also has a passive skill that gives her mana regen, she does need to level it up a few times before it gives you enough to not worry about your mana pool though. You could give her a try(she's a ranged intelligence support) but obviously she won't help you get used to "normal" mana regen and how to sustain your mana.

TUSR

Banned
Crystal Maiden is a hero that also has a passive skill that gives her mana regen, she does need to level it up a few times before it gives you enough to not worry about your mana pool though. You could give her a try(she's a ranged intelligence support) but obviously she won't help you get used to "normal" mana regen and how to sustain your mana.
She's also a great hero to learn positioning on.

i just looked him up on the wiki

how is he a support that seems cray

Top Bottom