• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT11| $400 of Support and Passion

Shouta

Tried out Disruptor and I really like him. Has support abilities I like and he seems to be able to do a little bit of damage if necessary too, I might focus on him while playing with KotL after I move on to actual matches with bots instead of just that 10 minute last hit practice to try different units, lol.

Any thoughts on Outworld Devourer? Probably won't play him but his design was nice and his abilities seemed interesting, lol.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Avoid OD. Bad, bad.

Try Phoenix. Fun, relatively straightforward.

Shouta

Didn't say I was gonna play him, just that he looked interesting design-wise, lol

How about Jakiro? Any thoughts on him? I looked and he reminded me of my pets from WoW, lol

Tried out Disruptor and I really like him. Has support abilities I like and he seems to be able to do a little bit of damage if necessary too, I might focus on him while playing with KotL after I move on to actual matches with bots instead of just that 10 minute last hit practice to try different units, lol.

Any thoughts on Outworld Devourer? Probably won't play him but his design was nice and his abilities seemed interesting, lol.

For Disruptor, his most important ability is Glimpse. You can get early kills by spotting heroes that are out of position. Remember that glimpse will teleport back the enemy after 4 seconds so when you see an out of position enemy that is running back, count to 4 and cast glimpse. If you paired this with Smoke of deceit (100 gold that lets you stay hidden even in the minimap and increases your movespeed as long as you dont get too close to enemy heroes), you can get some sweet first bloods on the enemy middle players (just remember to coordinate with your own mid player too). The first skill Thunder Strike is a skill that grants you vision of an enemy (very useful so you can land Glimpse even if they are hiding on trees or fog) and damages them every interval. Don't hesitate to use your ultimate even if it's just 1 hero (especially if it's the enemy carry). One good combo will be to glimpse the enemy, then start casting Kinetic Field and then cast your ultimate skill.

Good items for Disruptor are Urn of Shadows (heals overtime if used on friendly units while damages over time if used on enemy units), Force Staff (more int and good item for positioning), Aghanims Scepter (enemy heroes will not be able to use their items when you land your ult, very good for cores with BKB), Mekanism and Arcane Boots (mana sustain). Last but not the least, at all times plant observer wards for your team. Also, always carry a TP, when you see an ally being dived on your own tower, teleport immediately for a possible turnaround.

Shouta

For Disruptor, his most important ability is Glimpse. You can get early kills by spotting heroes that are out of position. Remember that glimpse will teleport back the enemy after 4 seconds so when you see an out of position enemy that is running back, count to 4 and cast glimpse. If you paired this with Smoke of deceit (100 gold that lets you stay hidden even in the minimap and increases your movespeed as long as you dont get too close to enemy heroes), you can get some sweet first bloods on the enemy middle players (just remember to coordinate with your own mid player too). The first skill Thunder Strike is a skill that grants you vision of an enemy (very useful so you can land Glimpse even if they are hiding on trees or fog) and damages them every interval. Don't hesitate to use your ultimate even if it's just 1 hero (especially if it's the enemy carry). One good combo will be to glimpse the enemy, then start casting Kinetic Field and then cast your ultimate skill. Good items for Disruptor are Urn of Shadows (heals overtime if used on friendly units while damages over time if used on enemy units), Force Staff (more int and good item for positioning), Aghanims Scepter (enemy heroes will not be able to use their items when you land your ult, very good for cores with BKB). Last but not the least, at all times plant observer wards for your team. Also, always carry a TP, when you see an ally being dived on your own tower, teleport immediately for a possible turnaround.

Thanks for the advice! Saved for when I start playing with him more in-depth. =o

Haly

How about Jakiro? Any thoughts on him? I looked and he reminded me of my pets from WoW, lol

Very solid support/caster.

Max Liquid Fire first and harass for free. 1/1/3 and then concentrate on Ice Path or Dual Breath depending on what you want, CC or Damage.

Haly

Si. You will know once you see the skills in action.

Shouta

Si. You will know once you see the skills in action.

I tried him out in training so I figured with Dual Breath. Didn't get Ice Path but I assumed that was the CC. I might go with him instead of KotL since it seems like Jakiro might last me longer as a character, lol

Jakiro is a great beginner support, the only thing to keep in mind when casting his spells is that he has long cast times, meaning that it might be harder than you'd expect to land them.

Shouta

Jakiro is a great beginner support, the only thing to keep in mind when casting his spells is that he has long cast times, meaning that it might be harder than you'd expect to land them.

You mean the animations right? Yeah, I noticed that a bit with Dual breath and Liquid Fire, lol. Liquid Fire isn't too bad but Dual Breath is like "can you go any slower?

At least the area of effect seems pretty big.

W1SSY

My favorite thing with Disruptor is glimpsing back someone after they teleport into lane.

You mean the animations right? Yeah, I noticed that a bit with Dual breath and Liquid Fire, lol. Liquid Fire isn't too bad but Dual Breath is like "can you go any slower?

At least the area of effect seems pretty big.
Yup, it's why Eul's is a very popular item on Jakiro, it gives him:

1. More int + mana regen
2. Movement speed(he's slow)
But most importantly:

3. The active allows him to set up an unmissable Ice Path and if you want you could even do Eul's > Macropyre > Ice Path for max damage if you have the mana.

Chris R

TI5 Afterparty sounds like it will be cool and all, but the real party will be down at the football stadium.

BFhTGfj.jpg

so do we think EG can bounce back? Kinda rough games yesterday
Of course they can, it'll just be extremely hard. The only team that's beaten LGD is CDEC, but they've beaten everyone. Also EG always has severe trouble winning games whenever PPD is up against a drafter/captain of equal skill, which Xiao8 is. Yesterday EG got outplayed in game 1 and outdrafted in game 2, so we'll see how they adapt.

Also, Agressif has quickly become my favorite carry player, I have a very hard time spotting any weaknesses. Fights early, always aggressive but never overcommits, keeps up in farm, makes amazing plays, etc. He's the whole package, I've seen someone call his playstyle a mix of Burning and prime Xboct and I think that's very accurate.

Didn't say I was gonna play him, just that he looked interesting design-wise, lol

Don't listen to people about x or y being a bad hero when you first start out.

At the beginning when you're lower and against dumb opponents.. the problems with heroes don't really become an issue.

Players make such bad game decisions that you can easily win with the hero that everyone on gaf/reddit/et all thinks is the worst hero in a patch.

EG also went 0-2 in the upper bracket final at DAC. I still believe.

They can still do it, but the plan to counter CDEC's offlane aggression with razor isn't working. They need to put fear on a carry that can survive in lane but also contribute later.

Don't listen to people about x or y being a bad hero when you first start out.

At the beginning when you're lower and against dumb opponents.. the problems with heroes don't really become an issue.

Players make such bad game decisions that you can easily win with the hero that everyone on gaf/reddit/et all thinks is the worst hero in a patch.

They can still do it, but the plan to counter CDEC's offlane aggression with razor isn't working. They need to put fear on a carry that can survive in lane but also contribute later.

I tend to agree but the problem with OD specifically is that an improperly timed astral imprisonment is infuriating for your team. Other than that he is a pretty good hero if played properly.

Cleaning out old sets if anyone is interested in trading for these
Gladiator's Revenge (Pudge)
Compendium Bloody Ripper (Life Stealer)
The Convicts' Trophies (Alchemist)
Witch Hunter (Anti Mage)
Humble Drifter (Phantom Lancer)
Keeper of the Northlight (Keeper of the Light)
Keen Machine (Sniper)
Forsaken Beauty (Medusa)
Array of Tranquility (Wind Runner)
The Red Conqueror Set (Axe)
Ancient Sovereign (Sand King)
Obsidian Guard (Outworld Devourer)

I tried him out in training so I figured with Dual Breath. Didn't get Ice Path but I assumed that was the CC. I might go with him instead of KotL since it seems like Jakiro might last me longer as a character, lol

If you want to try out some heroes, look for guides inside the game and play some bot matches. I played through around 80 bot matches (one on each hero) to level 16 before queuing online for the first time, and I had decent fun trying out all the abilities without pressure. Torte de Lini's guides are up to date and generally give reasonable skill and item builds, plus he goes through the trouble of writing notes on all the important stuff

Also, gaf's own Tsunami has a nice directory of hero-specific tips

Wok

Everytime I witness ppd drafting Razor, I enrage because I know ppd is throwing the game. How can he draft Razor against Chinese teams?

Morning TI Dota GAF,

I need 2 more emoticharm sets to for a courier. Does anybody have a Puck set and an Invoker set? I have a KOTL set and a Windranger set to trade for them

Wok

If ppd wants to win, he has to manage to ban or first pick Bounty Hunter and Tusk. Bounty Hunters makes comebacks far too reliable to let it be picked by Chinese teams, and Tusk is the perfect counter to Universe's big plays.

I also hope ppd forgets to pick Razor this time, or Fear will have a hard time man-fighting early game.

like he did vs ehome in game 3 and won?

He got lucky Sumail carried so hard with WR.

Against CDEC, he kept picking Razor and lost horribly because of Razor being a non-factor. Agressif's Ember Spirit and Phantom Lancer do not care about Razor's static link, it was pretty obvious in each fight.

Against PL, it is just non-sensical to draft Razor solely because the link is not broken by Doppelganger.

However, Razor is a fine pick against the coL draft with Sven and DK. Anyway, Sumail did carry ultra-hard this win too.

Can't say he got carried hard if razor drained damage and kept his teammates alive longer. Stats just don't show the entire picture of what a hero does.

Top Bottom