• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT11| $400 of Support and Passion

Wok

Support Bounty has been a thing since PLD played it on C9 over a year ago.

Yep, I started playing support Bounty Hunter after watching some games of PLD at DAC or something.

You can see the transition from Phase Boots to Arcane Boots with Blink and Force Staff.

S7RH2pG.png

I have been messing around with the build, especially that Aghs.

JC Sera

Yep, I started playing support Bounty Hunter after watching some games of PLD at DAC or something.

You can see the transition from Phase Boots to Arcane Boots with Blink and Force Staff.

S7RH2pG.png

is it just dotabuff reporting it wrong, but wouldn't you put BoTs first in your inventory?
support bounty does look pretty strong though
whats your favourite progression so far?

TUSR

Banned
i meant they dont just pick sections in which has the most popular people. it was randomed
My theory was to position myself near two well known streamers/cosplayers from the event and hope I get picked.
is it just dotabuff reporting it wrong, but wouldn't you put BoTs first in your inventory?
Pretty sure dota buff lists the items relative to the positions you have them in game.

Unless I'm misunderstanding what you're saying.

x3r0123

My theory was to position myself near two well known streamers/cosplayers from the event and hope I get picked.

nah, i was on the second level. Pretty sure there werent any well known person there.

first time the human wave was awesome in the eg game. The next ones felt forced. Also, i wanted pit lord :(

Fliesen

Well, after TI i really got in the mood for some Dota.

Damn, the community is toxic.
I mean, i can handle it, but the sheer fact that people join "LIMITED HEROES" games (that are explicitly aimed at new players, right?) only to trash talk one another over a few blunders is really depressing and i cannot imagine anyone new to the community not being instantly turned off.
The difference to other games is that you'll be subject to that vile verbal abuse for 45 minute long games ...

It's not like there's any "noob" queue. There's nothing in between botmatches and "unranked". How in god's name do these people EXPECT others to learn to play.

And why do they think it's some sort of threat (let alone proper use of the report feature) if they call others to report someone for playing shittily?

I'm just baffled, that's all.
It's so much more bearable if you have at least one other person to queue with that doesn't have the same rage issues as 90% of the Dota community.

JC Sera

Pretty sure dota buff lists the items relative to the positions you have them in game.

Unless I'm misunderstanding what you're saying.
You're not misunderstanding
I always assumed that your movespeed defaulted to the first pair in your inventory, so you would want to go bots then greaves

Acinixys

S7RH2pG.png

Why would you ever get an Aghs on Bounty?
crazy.gif

It's so much more bearable if you have at least one other person to queue with that doesn't have the same rage issues as 90% of the Dota community.

As soon as the game loads, mute everyone. 99% of players are total fucktards and not worth your time. Just put on some music and enjoy the game with no one bothering you with their whining. Its how most of the people here play

TUSR

Banned
btw gai_shain hasn't accepted my friend request, anyone else want visage familiars immortal?
He's probably asleep right now.
You're not misunderstanding
I always assumed that your movespeed defaulted to the first pair in your inventory, so you would want to go bots then greaves
The max MS item takes precedence.
nah, i was on the second level. Pretty sure there werent any well known person there.

first time the human wave was awesome in the eg game. The next ones felt forced. Also, i wanted pit lord :(
yeah by the time I realized it was random it was too late. I just wanted to say something funny and sit next to Rtz on stage.

I mean, i can handle it, but the sheer fact that people join "LIMITED HEROES" games (that are explicitly aimed at new players, right?) only to trash talk one another over a few blunders is really depressing and i cannot imagine anyone new to the community not being instantly turned off.
The difference to other games is that you'll be subject to that vile verbal abuse for 45 minute long games ...

It's not like there's any "noob" queue. There's nothing in between botmatches and "unranked". How in god's name do these people EXPECT others to learn to play.

And why do they think it's some sort of threat (let alone proper use of the report feature) if they call others to report someone for playing shittily?

It's bad and it doesn't get any better, at any level. But unless you're a very new player (when smurfs ruin your first ~50-75 games), you're going to be matched with people at your skill level.

IMO all the sneering about bot matches is unjustified; if you want to learn a new hero or practice some mechanics (last-hitting, tower/creep aggro, farming efficiency, item builds, etc.) bot matches are fine. If you have friends who play and aren't at a much higher tier, try playing with them. And mute frequently, it makes the entire experience much more pleasant.

JC Sera

He's probably asleep right now.

The max MS item takes precedence.
I am an idiot
jugg-dizzy.gif

well always learning something new with dota

I had a cool idea, what if you could upgrade a rod of atos like necro and diffusal
call it the rod of aui

Fliesen

As soon as the game loads, mute everyone. 99% of players are total fucktards and not worth your time. Just put on some music and enjoy the game with no one bothering you with their whining. Its how most of the people here play

how would you go about coordinating ganks or strategy then? does the game not mute the "generated chat" like 'care' 'missing top' and all that stuff?

SamuraiX-

Any DotaGAF brethren in the 200 win range want to queue up sometime?

I prefer playing single draft games. Still trying to get comfortable with all the game mechanics and different heroes.

Wok

Games are old now, I don't remember exactly. In terms of items, something like:
Boots / OoV / PMS early on
Then Arcane > Blink
Finally ForceStaff, or a pair QB+Gem, depending on the game.

In terms of skills:
XsMCn6c.png

The goal is to snipe a few couriers, deward all the map, track all the ennemies, provide vision before a fight starts, mess with junglers, etc. The main interest of the hero is the comeback mechanic with track, and the map control with invisibility + track + gem + wards.

Why would you ever get an Aghs on Bounty?
crazy.gif

I thought this is what allowed the shuriken toss to bounce on several opponents. I was disappointed, and ended up losing the game (only because of the lag).

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO

Tranq, Soul Ring, Dagon 5

laugh.gif

FACE

Banned
Games are old now, I don't remember exactly. In terms of items, something like:
Boots / OoV / PMS early on
Then Arcane > Blink
Finally ForceStaff, or a pair QB+Gem, depending on the game.

In terms of skills:
http://i.imgur.com/XsMCn6c.png[IMG]

The goal is to snipe a few couriers, deward all the map, track all the ennemies, provide vision before a fight starts, mess with junglers, etc. The main interest of the hero is the comeback mechanic with track, and the map control with invisibility + track + gem + wards.

I thought this is what allowed the shuriken toss to bounce on several opponents. I was disappointed, and ended up losing the game (only because of the lag).[/QUOTE]

Why would you get two points in shadow walk before maxing Shuriken?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim

You could try the sandbox mode. Kappa.
I'd suggest a coach and reading some guides to get you started. For example if you are auto attacking creeps in lane it is a sure sign you are new and it does a lot more harm than it seems for example.

I didn't realize how many gamers have legitimate anger issues til I played DOTA

It was the first competitive game I've played that required a lot of team communication, and I'd just assumed most of the salty or toxic stuff I'd encountered in the past in other games or forums was trolling instead of genuine.

inkls

ok, now that ti is over. Anyone willing to trade me a storm microplushie for money or point me in a direction where i can acquire one without having to try my luck vs valve rng?

kionedrik

Valve please buff Puck. Give him a 4s silence and I'll be happy.

On a side note, Puck is super fun but it's one of those heroes that needs a team and there's a lot of braindead people out there...

JC Sera

It was the first competitive game I've played that required a lot of team communication, and I'd just assumed most of the salty or toxic stuff I'd encountered in the past in other games or forums was trolling instead of genuine.
dota anger eventual led to an anger intervention with one of our friends
hes a lot better now in all aspects of his life regarding anger management

competitive games do seem to bring out the worse in people
australian servers don't seem as bad as american so I can't speak to much about it
we get nonchalant assholes a lot more than raging flamers here

I'd say on forums and such most of it is trolling. MOBAs (and similarly competitive and team-oriented games such as CSGO) just are designed in such a way that brings out the worst in people.

Imagine you're placed in a room with 9 strangers, divided in to 2 teams, and then told to compete in a cooperation-oriented task for some stake. A task that is rather difficult. Oh, and you can't leave until it's done or you are penalized. I think most people can imagine that there would be some hostility in a situation like that.

Now imagine that none of the people in that game have any way of triggering human empathy within eachother short of text (no faces, expressions, voice for the most part), and you have the god awful flame wars you find in DOTA/CSGO/League/Etc..

So general question but when do you know not to level a skill at all? Like watching TI theres times where a player wouldnt level 1 skill on this heroe or that hero, should I be emulating that? Is it a case by case basis?

So general question but when do you know not to level a skill at all? Like watching TI theres times where a player wouldnt level 1 skill on this heroe or that hero, should I be emulating that? Is it a case by case basis?

Don't level a skill when either:

- The skill doesn't have enough impact in early game to warrant the investment (Sleight of Fist on Ember Spirit)

- Another point outweighs the benefit of that skill (Heal/Grave over Poison on Dazzle)

You'll figure such things out with time. Reading hero guides will help tremendously.

Don't level a skill when either:

- The skill doesn't have enough impact in early game to warrant the investment (Sleight of Fist on Ember Spirit)

- Another point outweighs the benefit of that skill (Heal/Grave over Poison on Dazzle)

You'll figure such things out with time. Reading hero guides will help tremendously.

Yeah, Dazzle was one of the heroes I noticed.

So for Spirit Breaker..I recently played him and levelled his E/W with 1 point in Q. Is that any good? And is there a site you guys use for guides?

inkls

So for Spirit Breaker..I recently played him and levelled his E/W with 1 point in Q. Is that any good? And is there a site you guys use for guides?

use ingame guides. Top left corner one of them button has them

Max Q first on SB. Max E second. You'll get either Q or E first depending on how you expect the first 2 minutes of the game to go. If you think you'll be able to safely auto the enemy, you can go bash and pray for the 17% chance. If not, you go Q and you'll have an escape at the ready or a charge to rush someone down if they're in kill range.

Max Q first on SB. Max E second. You'll get either Q or E first depending on how you expect the first 2 minutes of the game to go. If you think you'll be able to safely auto the enemy, you can go bash and pray for the 17% chance. If not, you go Q and you'll have an escape at the ready or a charge to rush someone down if they're in kill range.

My team stuck me against Storm Spirit mid...I did good all things considered.

use ingame guides. Top left corner one of them button has them

Thanks!

I'd say on forums and such most of it is trolling. MOBAs (and similarly competitive and team-oriented games such as CSGO) just are designed in such a way that brings out the worst in people.

Imagine you're placed in a room with 9 strangers, divided in to 2 teams, and then told to compete in a cooperation-oriented task for some stake. A task that is rather difficult. Oh, and you can't leave until it's done or you are penalized. I think most people can imagine that there would be some hostility in a situation like that.

Now imagine that none of the people in that game have any way of triggering human empathy within eachother short of text (no faces, expressions, voice for the most part), and you have the god awful flame wars you find in DOTA/CSGO/League/Etc..

But it's ultimately still something that takes less than 45 minutes and involves mostly interacting with people you'll never meet again while competing with very low stakes. Even the worst DOTA experiences just give me a chuckle or make me go to bed feeling a bit down, I can't imagine how much angrier I'd need to be to verbally abuse complete strangers for almost a whole hour, yet it seems like atleast 4/10 people who play DOTA are atleast that angry all the time. Even if they don't behave this way in person, it's still problematic that they have such a low threshold for lashing out at anonymous strangers.

If something as low stakes as a competitive videogame with strangers provokes that level of frustration in someone, I'm worried about the other facets of their life which aren't disposable distractions.

Zafir

I've been finally getting into it recently, and I've taken to muting. I hate having to do it, since I think it goes against the idea of being a team, but quite honestly it's better than being annoyed at some douche who can't keep their mouths shut.

There is a noob queue though by the way. Well there is in the sense it tries to match you with other new people. When I queue in the original client, it tends to match me up with other people who have a similar amount of hours in the game. Reborn doesn't seem to though, I get put with a wide variety of different people.

Even in the original client you do sometimes get the odd smurf(mainly more when you first start), dude who is playing with a new friend or that one new guy who thinks he's the bees knees, but it's nothing that muting doesn't solve.

Edit: It's worth noting I've been playing All Pick not Limited Heroes, so I'm not sure if Limited Heroes has the same matchmaking.

Low Tier
dont pick zeus hes a worse QoP
dont pick invoker hes a worse QoP
dont pick lina shes a worse QoP
dont pick tinker hes a worse QoP
dont pick SF hes a worse QoP

in fact just pick QoP

Top Bottom