• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT11| $400 of Support and Passion

gai_shain

Good games for me atm

bAf0pKY.jpg

Fevaweva

I have played with all heroes once in limited and at least I saw their abilities. How should I approach all pick mode? There are too many heroes to choose and I really don't know what most of them can do.

Honestly, you just have to keep playing. There isn't much else you can do.

I have played with all heroes once in limited and at least I saw their abilities. How should I approach all pick mode? There are too many heroes to choose and I really don't know what most of them can do.
just keep going

you can just random, or pick one you like

fire up the wiki and look through some abilities and heroes to make sure you know them

what kind of playstyle do you like we can recommend some heroes that might fit it

patapuf

I liked to stay on a few heroes i liked for the first few matches, it allowed myself to familiarize with the items without having to think how my hero works.

Other than that you just have to pick up things as you go, read up on stuff you don't understand/read the skill descirptions.

Pratfall

In lower level pubs Omni is actually a great hero because people don't farm fast enough or push fast enough to take advantage of his greediness, and he heavily punishes people that overextend, which is like, all lower level pub players. And this is reflected in his Dotabuff winrate. If you aren't at high MMR, pick him and you'll be fine.

he has the highest winrate in every skill bracket. people at every skill level are bad at dealing with omni.

also, my point wasnt that omni is the best offlaner but to get the most out of him you need levels and you either run him as a 4 in a trilane (getting all the xp and farm from the pulls), put him in an aggressive dual lane (axe, huskar, cent etc.) or you run him offlane. I play quite a bit of omni and my favorite place to play him is the offlane. that's all I was saying.

G.ZZZ

Tbh , the moment koreans enter the scene, i won't follow. Esports at that level of dedication and competition lose a lot of novelty for me. Imagine an RTZ having to live in teamhouses all the time, follow schedules, and pratices furiously under supervision, it make me depressed thinking about it already. It also make it way harder from people from poorer areas to compete. As of now, more or less everyone could win a TI, but if professional teams enter the competition, we're probably gonna see Korea dominate all the time and stop.

Tbh , the moment koreans enter the scene, i won't follow. Esports at that level of dedication and competition lose a lot of novelty for me. Imagine an RTZ having to live in teamhouses all the time, follow schedules, and pratices furiously under supervision, it make me depressed thinking about it already. It also make it way harder from people from poorer areas to compete. As of now, more or less everyone could win a TI, but if professional teams enter the competition, we're probably gonna see Korea dominate all the time and stop.

This is already how it is in China, though?

I can't seem to work up the courage to play a real game again after being gone a year. I've played probably 10 bot matches in the last three days, so I have some of the muscle memory back, but I'm still kind anxious. I know I'm not performing at the level I was last year and I'm super hazy about item choices. I don't even know how to support anymore, I know the pull timing but forget trying to pull through. I should just dive in and deal with the hate I'm going to get, but boy is it intimidating.

G.ZZZ

This is already how it is in China, though?

China in dota has nowhere the level of professionality that teamhouses in Korea have. If i'm not mistaken, something similar was true for lol too, where Korean teams dominated china easily, until china started adopting korean coaches and strategies to compete, or am i wrong? I never followed the scene.

I wonder if that will be true for DOTA, though, because it's more of a "crazy" game than either League or BW/SC2, and the sort of regimented practice/grind of Korea teamhouses might not produce the same insurmountable gap. I think it's become obvious in the past year that the scene has a surplus of mechanical talent but a real lack of capable captains, which might not be something the Korean system is good at producing.

hmm, I was concerned I was never going to get the Emoticharm packs because they were consumable and you had to spend money to get them, but I just got the whole lot for about 7 dollars on the market, which isn't really too bad.

It looks like online orders don't come with Emoticharms.

J2d

I don't get this at all. The most important thing is that the level of play is as high as it can be for me. The only thing I really have experience with is Starcraft 2 and I shudder to think about the state the game would have been in if Europeans and Americans actually represented the top :| I hope dota gets really popular in Korea.

And so we enter the compendium's psychological late game. You are 24 points away from a new reward but have exhausted all your options. Either buy a chest for 200 points, "recycle" 10 items or feel like a loser.

China in dota has nowhere the level of professionality that teamhouses in Korea have. If i'm not mistaken, something similar was true for lol too, where Korean teams dominated china easily, until china started adopting korean coaches and strategies to compete, or am i wrong? I never followed the scene.

I'm not sure if China adopted Korea's methods in League, or if they were originally similar, honestly. GenerallyThough, I think the vast majority of times a team or region has been dominant it's due to time invested as much as anything, which is really the bottom line of the Korean bootcamp style.

I just can't complain about that. Especially given that Korean League used to be the only League worth watching (though now I find it all boring as hell).

J2d

And so we enter the compendium's psychological late game. You are 24 points away from a new reward but have exhausted all your options. Either buy a chest for 200 points, "recycle" 10 items or feel like a loser.
Just do the hero challenge where you get 25 points? Or does that end too soon? I'm gonna miss the challenges..

when do the challenges end, anyway?

--

more countries/cultures in dota is a good thing, it will improve the game if it takes off in more places

tired of the same ol' chinese pro scene and western reddit crew being the norm
gross.gif

Reality gonna hit them in the face when they realize dota is a real game

Because LoL is the only game Koreans dominate in.

If the kids aren't playing dotes in the cyber cafes then they won't have much of a talent pool to create teams from.

I think the rest of the world has enough of a head start that it won't be instant domination, if it even turns out to be that.

If the kids aren't playing dotes in the cyber cafes then they won't have much of a talent pool to create teams from.

I think the rest of the world has enough of a head start that it won't be instant domination, if it even turns out to be that.

it will never turn out to be that. Dota is not and cannot be played by the numbers like League and Starcraft can be. Dota is infinitely more dynamic than either of those.

What else ? Starcraft, that's it, and this game is dead af now.
Hell, quake and melee are more alive than starcraft.

If koreans were so good at games they'd be on dota and stomp people for money. You don't go super pro organizations for the love of the game, but because of the money.

So I quit regularly playing Dota 2 right around the time Earth/Ember Spirit were new. TI5 got me interested in playing again, but obviously a shitload of things have changed. Can anyone give me a quick summary of the "new" heroes (pros/cons, difficulty, etc.):

Phoenix
Terrorblade
Oracle
Techies
Winter Wyvren

Louffy solo'd both the US and Japan last year, doesn't make France better than them at Street Fighter.

And it's a fighting game, "solo" has no meaning, of course you're solo, not like they're going to fight you all at once.

But he was using a broken character and a playstation pad !

So I quit regularly playing Dota 2 right around the time Earth/Ember Spirit were new. TI5 got me interested in playing again, but obviously a shitload of things have changed. Can anyone give me a quick summary of the "new" heroes (pros/cons, difficulty, etc.):

Phoenix
Terrorblade
Oracle
Techies
Winter Wyvren
Phoenix : doesn't rely too much on farm, needs levels more than anything. Good teamfight hero, shines early/mid game mostly but doesn't fall off too hard late
TB : shit currently. King of pushing early/mid, super squishy, ult is super strong but can't always work
Oracle : mix of offensive and defensive support, pretty shit currently (never picked or banned), he's kinda gimmicky, his ult was nerfed really hard recently
Techies : mindfuck hero. Pretty strong.
Wyvern : defensive support with very good offensive spells too. Very good at depushing, initiating and counter initiating. Ult was nerfed hard recently but is still relevant. Doesn't need much farm (ie #5 position), needs a few levels, shines mid and late game

I'm not going to talk about teams like it's relevant.
King of Fighters as well. To think you put Louffy in the same category as Infiltration or Poongko, sort it out mate.

1. We weren't talking about KoF
2. I never even compared Louffy to those players, I'm just showing you that your "X player can solo X country" argument is irrelevant.

Sort out your moving goalposts.

I'm not going to talk about teams like it's relevant.

1. We weren't talking about KoF
2. I never even compared Louffy to those players, I'm just showing you that your "X player can solo X country" argument is irrelevant.

Sort out your moving goalposts.

I thought of another example that Koreans do well in.

Louffy was an alliance.

Infiltration, and Poongko to a lesser extent, showed that it wasn't a flash in the pan, consistently dominating the scene.

Hence why Louffy analogy is a bit weak.

My goalposts are firmly in place, standing up to internet bullies like you.

Top Bottom