• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT11| $400 of Support and Passion

G.ZZZ

who here plays a good ta so I can watch some replays? TA skillsets is pretty appealing to me, but I'm pretty bad with her. Especially with her starting range, and me over using refraction and certain mid heroes like Viper.
templar-shifty.gif

holy fuck that CM is so amazing.

I spampicked TA to get to 5k but i'm pretty sure all those replays are expired by now.

G.ZZZ

I don't get this at all. The most important thing is that the level of play is as high as it can be for me. The only thing I really have experience with is Starcraft 2 and I shudder to think about the state the game would have been in if Europeans and Americans actually represented the top :| I hope dota gets really popular in Korea.

It remove a lot of the novelty out of the game, it make it more of a professional sport and not actually a game in the end.

I felt actually bad watching starcraft players fail, i laugh when i see dota players do because stakes are nowhere as high when you play this game as a "semi-pro".

Also i seriously don't care about the skill level. Old dota1 games were amazing to watch even when they were played at levels that would be mid 4k by today's standards. If anything it made for really good players more easy to stand out, more solo plays possible and comebacks more common. This ain't starcraft where the level of micro to do even basic actions is insane.

JC Sera

I have a job interview thursday
hopefully I might have money by next week for secretshop
edit: Looking at the ti4 demi heroes vs ti5, jesus fuck thats a jump in design quality
who the fuck thought those ti4 faces were alright

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
Oh now it says the BH Demihero is a pre-order shipping next month sometime.

That's not so bad. Time to get in line!

iamblades

Isn't the thing that Korea and the Chinese teams excel at execution? As a consequence they do really well with micro and landing skill shots, but they kind suffer when it comes to being flexible and making the unconventional choice. League and SC are about having executing a preset plan flawlessly and if things deviate from that plan everything falls apart. Dota by contrast strives to be about adapting to the situation at hand and having lots of situational hero and item picks. Western teams are really good at doing those things instead. That at least is my understanding of how things are between the two disciplines, but I could be wrong. This also isn't a really hard truth anymore like it was a few years ago when it comes to Dota, but it might be what prevents Korea from becoming an unstoppable force if they really commit to the scene. I don't really care either way as long pro games stay reasonably enjoyable to watch and the game's balance keeps evolving in an interesting way.

Depends on what you mean by execution.

If it's just mechanics, then for Koreans in SC and LoL, sure I guess they are known for flawless execution mostly.

The Chinese seem a little different, it's not as much 'execution' as it is 'discipline'. Chinese players regularly get beat in lane and they do make mid-late game mistakes as well, but they are really good at finding the most efficient playstyle and sticking to that.

Back when it was 4 protect 1, they got a bad rep for boring games because they maintained their disciplined strategy above all else. But after the last two TI's it's pretty clear that that wasn't because that was exactly the way they wanted to play, they had just identified that as the best chance to win, so they did that.

The thing is, so far the Chinese super teams have all failed to follow this pattern like DK last year. I don't know if that is overconfidence or some cultural thing about trusting a legend like burning to do his thing, even when it doesn't quite fit the 'efficient' strategy. But if you look at the Chinese teams without the established superstar players like CDEC this year or Newbee last year, they find the efficient strat, and they stick to it until it doesn't work anymore.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Tried Dragon Knight tonight and thought he was awesome. I seem to find one hero every five I really like. I'm trying to play every hero once in bot games before playing casual.

Depends on what you mean by execution.

If it's just mechanics, then for Koreans in SC and LoL, sure I guess they are known for flawless execution mostly.

The Chinese seem a little different, it's not as much 'execution' as it is 'discipline'. Chinese players regularly get beat in lane and they do make mid-late game mistakes as well, but they are really good at finding the most efficient playstyle and sticking to that.

Back when it was 4 protect 1, they got a bad rep for boring games because they maintained their disciplined strategy above all else. But after the last two TI's it's pretty clear that that wasn't because that was exactly the way they wanted to play, they had just identified that as the best chance to win, so they did that.

The thing is, so far the Chinese super teams have all failed to follow this pattern like DK last year. I don't know if that is overconfidence or some cultural thing about trusting a legend like burning to do his thing, even when it doesn't quite fit the 'efficient' strategy. But if you look at the Chinese teams without the established superstar players like CDEC this year or Newbee last year, they find the efficient strat, and they stick to it until it doesn't work anymore.
Yeah I guess I was conflating execution and discipline as the same thing when they aren't, my bad.

Tried Dragon Knight tonight and thought he was awesome. I seem to find one hero every five I really like. I'm trying to play every hero once in bot games before playing casual.

Dragon Knight is pretty great! You usually aren't going to do any fancy plays with him, but he's kind of a workhorse with a good set of spells. Take him mid and get a blink or shadow blade on him for some solid initiation and mobility.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Secret actually breaking up? What a joke. I guess it's what their shitty bandwagon deserves. God forbid a team actually stay together for more than a couple months to develop AS A TEAM. They could have earned their fandom and redeemed themselves but they didn't. All 5 of those guys are pussies. Learn how to take a loss like fucking adult and stop acting like little children. Was so close to feeling bad for them for losing but fuck em all. I guess you shouldn't expect much from a bunch of players that were so eager to fuck their previous teams in order to create a "dream team" in the first place. Bunch of dumb egos that don't even deserve the place they got.

Razzer

Secret actually breaking up? What a joke. I guess it's what their shitty bandwagon deserves. God forbid a team actually stay together for more than a couple months to develop AS A TEAM. They could have earned their fandom and redeemed themselves but they didn't. All 5 of those guys are pussies. Learn how to take a loss like fucking adult and stop acting like little children. Was so close to feeling bad for them for losing but fuck em all. I guess you shouldn't expect much from a bunch of players that were so eager to fuck their previous teams in order to create a "dream team" in the first place. Bunch of dumb egos that don't even deserve the place they got.

Er, you seem to have placed a lot of claims on them I'm not seeing. So eager to fuck their previous teams? Do you blame Kuro and Puppey for leaving Navi? Maybe referring to S4? The only one I could kinda see it for is RTZ leaving EG, but if the issues they were having as a team were true then once again I don't think it was a particularly awful thing to do. Like, who specifically are you referring to with all this?

Pratfall

did they hurt you in some way?

You sound like this effect you in some way, calm down. Zai was leaving regardless of how well they did in the tournament, rest of the players might use it as an scapegoat to abandon ship after how things apparently went between Kuro and RTZ after they got eliminated.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Dragon Knight is pretty great! You usually aren't going to do any fancy plays with him, but he's kind of a workhorse with a good set of spells. Take him mid and get a blink or shadow blade on him for some solid initiation and mobility.

I went mid and grabbed Shadow Blade, Moon Shard, Sange and Yasha and BKB. I'm only playing against medium bots ATM but he felt really great. I just want a stable of maybe 2 - 3 heroes per lane that I really enjoy so I can comfortably fill any role when I move to playing real games.

That was when they lost game 1 against IG.

Right, still problems among the team was something RTZ discussed in an interview earlier this year .

Oh yeah, we have a problem like if we stay together too much, we start like getting angry at each other and like really mad, and the scrims stop getting productive and they just start being like s**tshows. Just generally after Starladder, we just stopped — we don’t spend that much time with each other, we spend enough time that’s necessary.

No surprise if they split up, doesn't seem like it was going to work in the long run.

who here plays a good ta so I can watch some replays? TA skillsets is pretty appealing to me, but I'm pretty bad with her. Especially with her starting range, and me over using refraction and certain mid heroes like Viper.
templar-shifty.gif

holy fuck that CM is so amazing.

Just watch some TA play from TI. Several TA picks there.

right for the fuckin throat.

also, I miss his Clockwork play at TI. Need more "Liquid are doing it" in my life. TI3 was so good man. Shit.

aeolist

Banned
people complained about all the gyro vs pl matches but goddamn they're fun to watch fight even early game

SUDDEN CALL DOWN FLAK CANNON BACKSTAB never stops being hype

whoops. what the fuck was mike playing back then? I clearly have a senior citizen's memory.

he was position 4 or 5, played a lot of CM

Razzer

No, they're just a joke team with joke results and a joke fanbase and I'm having a lot of fun watching them crumble.

Despite the obviously disappointing TI result they still won several major lans. That's hardly a joke. As for their fans, as a (possibly former going by the rumours) Secret fan myself I'm curious why I'm a joke?

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Yeah, bunch of salty Secret Fanstraights mad that their precious dream team couldn't even keep it together for an entire Dota season. GG loool
grave.gif

Kard8p3

ur schtick was more funny when you were crying about techies tbh. this is coming from someone who doesn't rly care about secret.

LiQuid!

Crying about techies is sooo last month. I'm just trying to keep up with current meme trends.

Just watch some TA play from TI. Several TA picks there.

right for the fuckin throat.

also, I miss his Clockwork play at TI. Need more "Liquid are doing it" in my life. TI3 was so good man. Shit.

Honestly, pro replays of carries haven't helped me much. Pubs replays do. Pro replays do help me for support.

Most of the time I play carry (not much) I have pretty shitty supports, with no map awarness. Main reason I play support in the first play ha! Watching some good replays of pub stars in solo queue help me more in how to deal with shitty teammates and catch up when the map is mostly on the favor of the opposite team.
thinking.gif

Whatever. They won a couple LANs nobody cares about, got pooped on at TI then broke up. That's joke results to me.

Secret still placed among the top 8th teams of the world, that' isn't a joke result at all, and if the other LANs are a joke then why are teams even competing at it, the only joke here is your petty arguments.

LiQuid!

Secret still placed among the top 8th teams of the world, that' isn't a joke result at all, and if the other LANs are a joke then why are teams even competing at it, the only joke here is your petty arguments.

All Secret's winnings from 2015 combined isn't as much as their disappointing 8th place TI finish, which makes them all pretty meaningless in the grand scheme. I'm sure I've seen some pro players say as much as well. Nobody has historically really cared about those tournaments aside from using them as training for TI. Scouting opposition, practicing drafts, staying sharp, etc. That's what the Majors are trying to fix. Making actual stakes for the year-round tournaments where there were previously very little.

Top Bottom