• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT11| $400 of Support and Passion

cry.gif
grave.gif
cm-vi1.gif

RIP steve
you gave us the best OT

Pratfall

Honestly don't understand how people can enjoy batrider. DoT + single target initiation ability just feels so static. That said, when the hero's good he's super good and I love having one in my team, so no complaints there.

I love his mobility, he is the opposite of static to me. Once you have blink, force BoTs, you can just fly around the map flashfarming/splitpushing and keeping the other team nervous. Also, nothing quite like going up against a trilane that underestimates napalm stacks plus firefly damage.

I love his mobility, he is the opposite of static to me. Once you have blink, force BoTs, you can just fly around the map flashfarming/splitpushing and keeping the other team nervous. Also, nothing quite like going up against a trilane that underestimates napalm stacks plus firefly damage.

Yeah, I guess the mobility gives more options. Just not my sort of hero.

Finishing up watching the MLG Columbus finals. I like EE's Clinkz, and I had forgotten how versatile RTZ is. Totally dominating a game with Timbersaw is not what I would expect from RTZ these days. Wonder if that's because of his captains or him.

Onemic

Best way to get better at this game is to have someone teach you actually. Do you have any friends who play the game already? Alternatively I'm sure some of the kinder folks here don't mind taking a new person under their wing.

Ya, I have a few. Not sure how good they are though. If anyone here wants a near permanent handicap for the foreseeable future hit me up for some games :p

Watch pro games in the perspective of one of the support players.

Try to replicate what they do and understand why they do it.

Also, use the in-game item and skill builds (the little book at the top left corner) to get the hang of the heroes and items.

How do you know when someone is going support? Some characters that arent normally classified as support are used as one and vice versa. Currently the only way I know is by looking at the gold per minute stat because generally the lowest two for each team are supports.

How do you know when someone is going support? Some characters that arent normally classified as support are used as one and vice versa. Currently the only way I know is by looking at the gold per minute stat because generally the lowest two for each team are supports.

Usually someone who picks a hero that is most often used as a support will play it as one, but as you play more games you will find how common it is to declare your role in the team chat beforehand: "I'm going mid", "I can support", "I'm doing support bounty hunter" etc.

If someone picks Lich, Crystal Maiden, or Shadow Demon, the safe assumption is that they will be supporting unless they state otherwise.

Wok

For pro teams, roles do not change from one game to another, so to get the hang of the game, you could watch Kuroky from Team Secret, or ppd from Evil Geniuses, and you will be sure they are playing support.

I have not seen the replay in their perspective, because I followed the streams on Twitch or Youtube, but I am sure there is a ton to learn from some of the games during last International. The best games are the CDEC vs EG games (the 2 games won by CDEC in upper-bracket, and the 3 games won by EG in the grand finals). Download one of them and watch the early game in the perspective of ppd. You will see stacking, rune monitoring, warding, smoke ganking, etc. I think if you watch the carry players, there will be less to learn: basically, get good at last-hitting... Support players are more interesting for a beginner.

inkls

A message from steve:

zombie steve said:
Hey, I won't talk from the grave again, just this one time to clear up something.

I didn't get banned for talking about GMOs. I got banned because I was discussing them in a thread about Bernie Sanders and race. At best it was wildly off topic and inconsiderate to everyone else in the thread. At worst it made me look like a #alllivesmatter asshole (ewwww). I was drunk and emotional as I had attended a seminar about GMOs and world hunger earlier that day, I woke up and read my posts and said man those are dumb. It also wasn't solely that, but combined with the last few months of my shitposting in general earned me a perma as I obviously didn't learn from the previous bans. Anyhow I knew better and deserved it.

I had been using gaf less as a constructive place of conversation and more of a blowing off steam end of day nonsense post for a while anyhow, so it's probably better I moved on for my own and everyone elses sake.

This and the giant bomb thread are the only places I'll miss, and it's not that big a loss since we're mostly all friends on steam. If you ever need anything just hit me up, and if someone in the thread is asking for someone to queue up with even if they're bad don't be afraid to recommend me still.

Anyhow, love all y'all (yes even you heavy's and shugg), play dota with you soon!

Chris R

I had a match yesterday with a bad Techies player.

Only to find out he's played almost 600 matches on Techies...

The mine placement was TERRIBLE, talking down hill at T3s, not stacked into a single point, placing them where creeps could easily aggro, ect.

A true cancer hero though, he has a 60% win rate on it lol. Guessing the potential stopping power of a Techies at T3 allows some of his teams to pull through and win?

Zeknurn

I had a match yesterday with a bad Techies player.

Only to find out he's played almost 600 matches on Techies...

The mine placement was TERRIBLE, talking down hill at T3s, not stacked into a single point, placing them where creeps could easily aggro, ect.

A true cancer hero though, he has a 60% win rate on it lol. Guessing the potential stopping power of a Techies at T3 allows some of his teams to pull through and win?

I bet I played against him yesterday because we faced an offlane techies that stacked his mines within tower vision. We pinged them each time he put them down. Guess what happens? Our last pick solo safelane Omniknight walks on them three times and dies threes times.

It doesn't matter how bad you are at Techies when the people you play against are idiots.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
What's the best skill build for support or roaming Bounty Hunter? Everybody seems to recommend only one point in Shadow Walk early, but I always feel like I need at least a second point for the duration increase.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Getting 2 in Walk isn't a cardinal sin. It saves you a lot of mana on restealths over the long run.

I'm partial to 2/1/2, then max Shuriken and Jinada.

Onemic

For pro teams, roles do not change from one game to another, so to get the hang of the game, you could watch Kuroky from Team Secret, or ppd from Evil Geniuses, and you will be sure they are playing support.

I have not seen the replay in their perspective, because I followed the streams on Twitch or Youtube, but I am sure there is a ton to learn from some of the games during last International. The best games are the CDEC vs EG games (the 2 games won by CDEC in upper-bracket, and the 3 games won by EG in the grand finals). Download one of them and watch the early game in the perspective of ppd. You will see stacking, rune monitoring, warding, smoke ganking, etc. I think if you watch the carry players, there will be less to learn: basically, get good at last-hitting... Support players are more interesting for a beginner.

Will definitely do this, thanks

Top Bottom