• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT11| $400 of Support and Passion

Kard8p3

1 hour (I think) until ZotS' next rekt match
song_siren.gif

whooo i can sleep again

gl team i will be watching!!

DrPizza

Banned
My body has been actively rejecting alcohol since the last time I got drunk. I can understand though, I completely destroyed my body that night.
Yeah, since an incident five or six years ago where I was lying on the floor of my hotel room sicking up bile and stomach lining into the ice bucket for 24 hours after a night double fisting white Russians, I've barely been able to touch booze.

shira you know I feel like a smurf at the moment. I've not played ranked in probably over a year. Won like 14 games out of 15 while my MMR adjusts

What I'm trying to figure out is, 15 months ago, my mmr was about 3.7k. Since then, I dipped down to 2.9k, and then back up to 3.3k, and I seem to have plateaued.

Did I just get phenomenally lucky with teams carrying me to 3.7k? Did I get worse? Did everyone else get better at dota, while I didn't improve?

What I'm trying to figure out is, 15 months ago, my mmr was about 3.7k. Since then, I dipped down to 2.9k, and then back up to 3.3k, and I seem to have plateaued.

Did I just get phenomenally lucky with teams carrying me to 3.7k? Did I get worse? Did everyone else get better at dota, while I didn't improve?

Difference between 3.3k and 3.7k isn't that spectacular. Might've been coincidence honestly, given that there's there's a mere ~12 wins difference between these two ratings.

Maybe the heroes you like to play aren't that strong at the moment?

I'm really enjoying Arteezy's stream today, he's playing pretty good music atm.

I've lost around 500 mmr in a free fall recently. In that at least 4 games were throws and a few others were people just giving up or trolling teammates. I'm not even sure what the rating means when so many factors outside of your own contribution effects it.

I've been making a lot of mistakes and playing poorly as well, so maybe the loss in mmr is an adjustment. It's just shocking on how many matches I've had the feeling why am I not on the other team.

TUSR

Banned

have you been playing captains mode?

SAcred WarrioR

I have the next 3 days off. Going to see a lot of him and TA. Repel me pls.

D

Deleted member 77995

Unconfirmed Member
Taking the advice and turning off my Dotabuff. I feel like it's commonly used to justify losses by stat checking against the rest of your team rather than watching replays and really examining where you went wrong.

Robot Carnival

Gold Member
been playing some more carries instead of supports this last couple of days while I'm home. mostly ones that can jungle. the result had been ok I guess, but then again at 2.7K tier there weren't a lot of attempts to gank me while I farm away. this last game I had last night thou, I feel like I did pretty good as Legion but still ended up losing. 2 of the mistakes I can think of is that I should build BKB earlier and stay at base at the very end to try and defend. but other than that, any other pointers?

https://www.dotabuff.com/matches/1626665445

Taking the advice and turning off my Dotabuff. I feel like it's commonly used to justify losses by stat checking against the rest of your team rather than watching replays and really examining where you went wrong.

lol, wrong
"the only constant is you" is some serious bullshit anyways
"hey our void has 250 gpm, but what did I do wrong ?"

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
lol, wrong
"the only constant is you" is some serious bullshit anyways
"hey our void has 250 gpm, but what did I do wrong ?"

Eh, there's always stuff you can and should look to improve, but there's also other stuff that you just can't do on your own

Though I don't know that I've ever personally looked through someone's dotabuff after a game to justify the loss.

Also, dat aegis snatch.

Eh, there's always stuff you can and should look to improve, but there's also other stuff that you just can't do on your own

Though I don't know that I've ever personally looked through someone's dotabuff after a game to justify the loss.

Also, dat aegis snatch.

yeah there's always room for improvement, you can't have perfect games every time, but people saying stuff like "only think about what you're doing not what others are doing" is pretty stupid, if your carry is horseshit then your carry is horseshit and unless the enemy is even worse you won't win

Pratfall

yeah there's always room for improvement, you can't have perfect games every time, but people saying stuff like "only think about what you're doing not what others are doing" is pretty stupid, if your carry is horseshit then your carry is horseshit and unless the enemy is even worse you won't win

I think you have missed the point of that advice.

Hupsel

Omg guys pls click this link so I win free card packs for the better and superior game Hearthstone

Edit: Nvm I dont think it works :((((

Hylian7

been playing some more carries instead of supports this last couple of days while I'm home. mostly ones that can jungle. the result had been ok I guess, but then again at 2.7K tier there weren't a lot of attempts to gank me while I farm away. this last game I had last night thou, I feel like I did pretty good as Legion but still ended up losing. 2 of the mistakes I can think of is that I should build BKB earlier and stay at base at the very end to try and defend. but other than that, any other pointers?

https://www.dotabuff.com/matches/1626665445
I keep mentioning this, but give Spectre a try. I think with the larger than normal pool of viable heroes, carries that contribute less in lane are viable, especially in a pub.

Spectre doesn't contribute absolutely NOTHING during the early game, but it isn't as significant as a hero like Gyro. I think so many people in pubs think you have to max Dagger first, but I disagree. It only goes to 200 damage on level 4, and with such a high mana cost relative to Spectre's tiny mana pool. Dagger isn't a damage skill for sure, it's a chasing and vision skill, with damage as a nice bonus. The damage really comes from Desolate, and even if you are vs a dual or trilane, you should still max Desolate. The AoE that the enemy has to be alone in is not that large, so it is practical that you might be able to split the heroes far away with away from each other and creeps to get the Desolates. It is also great for picking up barely missed kills by teammates with haunt. I would say by the time you get 6, always have a TP, since you may have to make a long jump with Haunt and then get out. I know I have killed people close to enemy fountain at around 7 minutes, TP'd out immediately before anyone could come do anything about it.

As for lane survivability, a few things help. Decent support is one, but also I think Poor Man's is usually a must, and if you need lane sustain, a casual Ring of Health. Before I start going to Radiance, I go PMS, brown boots, Quelling Blade, and maybe the RoH, but I don't get it unless I need it. Coming up with a 20-25 minute Radiance is always great, and even if it's closer to 30 minutes, it's absolutely worth it. It increases you damage output, both by burn and right clicks from the real Spectre.

I also prefer Treads over Phase on her. Phase has it's benefits, but I would rather have the Tread Switching and stats for illusions.

Beyond that, it is basically about farming awareness and keeping the game delayed long enough for you to really shine. If things are rough, try to be encouraging to your team and tell them that you can win if you just keep farming and all of your base isn't lost. If the enemy does push for base, you can usually help with Haunt.

One thing to remember about Dagger: if you cast it directly on someone, it will always hit them and give you vision on them, even if they Blink away or go invis. On the ground it will only go the normal distance. If you can target it, always do so, and ideally line it up through multiple heroes if you can.

Top Bottom