• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT11| $400 of Support and Passion

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
not u still trying it with slark
DrNJ00q.png

Hylian7

but that's how the hero works. it's even his backstory.

Spectre needs nerfs more than anyone with the bs "Kill all supports on the map for free" cards tbh.
spectre-what.gif
Spectre is different than Slark. I'm not asking for an entire rework of the hero, just a minor change, mainly an animation for Dark Pact or CD increase on ult. I played against one the other day because that bug happened where you first see someone come out of fog and it plays their spawn animation. Slark's spawn animation looks similar to the one when he finishes Dark Pact. I figured DP was on CD, so I zipped in and Orchid...aaand purged it... Fucking bullshit

Chris R

I had a spectre haunt at like 3% hp, pick me (CM) as the target and then die to one of my auto attacks.

It was kinda funny, I could imagine the person on the other end of the internet doing their best "I'M PANICKING" impersonation.

inkls

why did the lord of Avernus get kicked from the mafia?

Cuz he was a bad don

Spectre is different than Slark. I'm not asking for an entire rework of the hero, just a minor change, mainly an animation for Dark Pact or CD increase on ult. I played against one the other day because that bug happened where you first see someone come out of fog and it plays their spawn animation. Slark's spawn animation looks similar to the one when he finishes Dark Pact. I figured DP was on CD, so I zipped in and Orchid...aaand purged it... Fucking bullshit

DansGame.png

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
yas king slark countering shit spirit. icon.

complaining about slark while playing storm spirit is a bit perverse to me. you see which one gets slapped on the wrist in 6.85

Quesa

Here's a weird thing: the chest comes up as Genuine Imbued golden whatever in my inventory, but when I tried to sell it it comes up at just genuine golden whatever. There are listings for both on the market and it's a $100 difference. What gives? bug?

Hylian7

yas king slark countering shit spirit. icon.

complaining about slark while playing storm spirit is a bit perverse to me. you see which one gets slapped on the wrist in 6.85

I have no doubt Storm will get nerfed, but replace that situation with any hero with an Orchid other than Storm and it still applies.

Slark still needs a slap on the wrist.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
I have no doubt Storm will get nerfed, but replace that situation with any hero with an Orchid other than Storm and it still applies.

Slark still needs a slap on the wrist.

but i mean what you're describing happened because of a bug. the conclusion of your anecdote isn't 'so anyway, nerf slark', it's 'so anyway, fix this bug'.

Hylian7

but i mean what you're describing happened because of a bug. the conclusion of your anecdote isn't 'so anyway, nerf slark', it's 'so anyway, fix this bug'.

Why not both?

If there was a starting animation for Dark Pact, that situation would have turned out differently.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
...and that's the point? it's like seeing a TA. does she have refraction up or not? who knows, so i better not use laguna blade on her even if it might kill her on the chance that refraction is down. it's about mind games.

except it's not even that bad, because dark pact actually takes good timing to use it properly, whereas refraction just sits around.

gai_shain

There isn't anything to read unless you already saw him use it before or he is completely out of mana. It's a guessing game beyond that.

Its not a guessing game its a mind game, slark has to anticipate you using a disable when you jump, if he doesnt he is dead

Hylian7

...and that's the point? it's like seeing a TA. does she have refraction up or not? who knows, so i better not use laguna blade on her. it's about mind games.
TA is a much different story: You hear her activate refraction. Her attacks sound slightly different with refraction on. On top of that, unless you know otherwise, you would also approach a TA with the assumption she already has refraction on. If you find out she didn't, then lucky you.

There isn't anything to read unless you already saw him use it before or he is completely out of mana. It's a guessing game beyond that.
Dude we've been over this. People who are much better at Dota than either of us think slark is actually weak right now. You can argue to the ends of the earth that he's bullshit, just as I'll always complain about fucking qw invoker, but that doesn't make it OP.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
TA is a much different story: You hear her activate refraction. Her attacks sound slightly different with refraction on. On top of that, unless you know otherwise, you would also approach a TA with the assumption she already has refraction on. If you find out she didn't, then lucky you.
But that's the mind game aspect. You approach TA as though she had refraction on even if she doesn't. It gives her an information advantage, that you can't see when she has refraction up. Same way that you should approach Slark as though he's about to dark pact. The fact that the game bugged out doesn't make Slark OP, it means that you encountered unhelpful bug that needs squashing. Post about it on Reddit, it's the most reliable way to get bugs fixed.

And Refraction's charges are independent, so attack sounds isn't a reliable indicator. More mind games.

Hylian7

But that's the mind game aspect. You approach TA as though she had refraction on even if she doesn't. It gives her an information advantage, that you can't see when she has refraction up. Same way that you should approach Slark as though he's about to dark pact. The fact that the game bugged out doesn't make Slark OP, it means that it's an unhelpful bug.

And Refractions charges are independent, so attack sounds isn't a reliable indicator. More mind games.

Attack sounds means "Yes she has popped refraction". You don't know how many shield charges she has left and that's fine. You hit her until they go away and then blow your big spells. It's not like Slark because she won't randomly go "Nah fuck your disables" without warning. It's just like how playing the guessing game with runes was before Bounty Runes were ever a thing.

You are focusing way too much on the bug argument. I was trying to say there that I look for the animation to make sure he used it and then go from there.

Quesa

Sent a support ticket to steam. Hopefully they fix it soon? I thank all of you for your support in these troubling times

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Attack sounds means "Yes she has popped refraction". You don't know how many shield charges she has left and that's fine. You hit her until they go away and then blow your big spells. It's not like Slark because she won't randomly go "Nah fuck your disables" without warning. It's just like how playing the guessing game with runes was before Bounty Runes were ever a thing.

You are focusing way too much on the bug argument. I was trying to say there that I look for the animation to make sure he used it and then go from there.

It's an information advantage. That's the whole point of not being able to see Refraction and Dark Pact. You're supposed to approach the situation differently than if you could see either of them. TA might say 'fuck your Laguna Blade', Slark might say 'fuck your disables' (assuming he has half-decent timing).

I'm not focusing too much on the bug argument because it's the foundation of your anecdote. You look for the animation, which is good and fine; it's what you're supposed to do. In this situation the game bugged and you thought you saw the animation when actually you didn't. So the conclusion to draw isn't, 'nerf Slark', it's 'this bug needs fixing'.

gai_shain

Ive read alot of your posts claiming stuff but this right there might be the most hilarious thing ive seen you claim.
Baiting slark into using it is no rocket science. Jump him -> he uses it -> orchid

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Stopping Slark from escaping with Dark Pact is already semi-trivial anyway since you can just wait until he uses it before using your disables (if you initiate the fight by stun stacking or using your big disables you deserve to lose to him anyway). If you could see the spell effect too it would be insanely easy. You might as well just put a countdown above his head that says 'don't use disables for 3...2...1...Okay Go'.

Ive read alot of your posts claiming stuff but this right there might be the most hilarious thing ive seen you claim.
Baiting slark into using it is no rocket science. Jump him -> he uses it -> orchid

Especially with storm seeing as slark is in a total catch-22 where if he doesn't immediately dark pact he's dead, and if storm holds his spells, he's also dead.

Best way to react to a storm jumping you as slark is to pop dark pact and mash ult, I find. Not exactly an elegant solution.

Low Tier
i mean storm always has the advantage of being two screens away and waiting for slark to farm a wave with q, then immediately jumping as the duration ends.

but realistically speaking storms a much bigger problem than slark is

except lina is still the queen of imba

sell ur arcanas while u can

Hylian7

It's an information advantage. That's the whole point of not being able to see Refraction and Dark Pact. You're supposed to approach the situation differently than if you could see either of them. TA might say 'fuck your Laguna Blade', Slark might say 'fuck your disables' (assuming he has half-decent timing).

I'm not focusing too much on the bug argument because it's the foundation of your anecdote. You look for the animation, which is good and fine; it's what you're supposed to do. In this situation the game bugged and you thought you saw the animation when actually you didn't. So the conclusion to draw isn't, 'nerf Slark', it's 'this bug needs fixing'.

Especially with storm seeing as slark is in a total catch-22 where if he doesn't immediately dark pact he's dead, and if storm holds his spells, he's also dead.

Best way to react to a storm jumping you as slark is to pop dark pact and mash ult, I find. Not exactly an elegant solution.

It goes in circles though: Bait him into using it -> He baits you into using whatever -> bait him into using it -> So on and so fourth until you haven't caught him and now he's gotten away. Or he just pops ult. I would think popping ult is a pretty elegant solution to getting away from a storm jumping you.

Quesa

i mean storm always has the advantage of being two screens away and waiting for slark to farm a wave with q, then immediately jumping as the duration ends.

but realistically speaking storms a much bigger problem than slark is

except lina is still the queen of imba

sell ur arcanas while u can

atk range reduced to 650

gai_shain

It goes in circles though: Bait him into using it -> He baits you into using whatever -> bait him into using it -> So on and so fourth until you haven't caught him and now he's gotten away. Or he just pops ult. I would think popping ult is a pretty elegant solution to getting away from a storm jumping you.

If you jump him and he sees it he will use it, so you wait.
If he doesnt see you jumping, orchid and you can kill him if he wasnt about to farm a wave with it.
Or use orchid first and the pull spell after dark pact or the other way around if you dont feel like you can anticipate it

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy

Storm has AOE damage that goes through ult, he can zip away to break leash, and with an orchid he has two disables. It's not a surprise that according to Dotabuff, Slark is one of his 10 best matchups.

Hylian7

Storm has AOE damage that goes through ult, he can zip away to break leash, and with an orchid he has two disables. It's not a surprise that according to Dotabuff, Slark is one of his 10 best matchups.

And I agree with you on that, except for the AoE damage, becuase it really isn't great against Slark since he is regenning so fast and the damage is bit by bit, plus a lot of Storm's damage comes from Overload when he's already close to someone.

For almost anyone else though it's something very difficult to deal with.

Top Bottom