• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT11| $400 of Support and Passion

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
The interview works in with PPD's blog, tho it makes PPDs description of Aui seem overblown. Aui seems to get what part of his attitude got him kicked, but he attributes it more to the team requiring fear as a calm, strong pillar of the team, which EG needs with two more high strung players (Arteezy & Suma1l), and laments that he (Aui) could never be that and hes still working on his calm.

Its 2 hours because of Thorin.

I don't know, there are heroes like Alchemist and Lone Druid who are really weak right now, and they get no love.

I all randomed alchemist the other day and just ran around dying. Decided to just use acid spray and push towers and do the occaisional stun in team fights. It worked and we won, can't say I did anything but make the opposing silencer mad by telling him I didn't need any of that insane amount of intelligence he stole from me.

I was about to play some dotes then I received a text message that I will be having an interview in 5 hours.Hope i don't fuck this up.
kunk-rum.gif

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Did you put your MMR in resume? You're probably already hired tbh.

JC Sera

Its 2 hours because of Thorin.
Ok are people just assuming my comment was "aui is long winded"

because I meant was auis rundown of the situation fits in with PPDs
not "the 2 hour video is proof aui cant say anything fast just like PPD said so hurd durr"
jeezzzzz

I love that aui is longwinded its super great for his analysis videos

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Are the Type-0 HD stuff giftable after you unwrap the bundle?

frontovik

Banned
Beginner question: Is there a rule of thumb on choosing your hero during the selection phase? Is it better to wait and see what the enemy team is composed of before making the appropriate choices?

Beginner question: Is there a rule of thumb on choosing your hero during the selection phase? Is it better to wait and see what the enemy team is composed of before making the appropriate choices?

Generally it's better especially for heroes that are easily counterable. For example, if you pick Meepo immediately, enemy team will be sure to pick Earthshaker. If you pick Rikimaru, enemy team will be likely to pick Bounty Hunter, etc. etc.

It's still up to you at the end of the day. Teams waiting for each other to pick can get annoying at times so I just random away.

If you play All Pick, there's generally a game of chicken while a bunch of people wait to see what the team compositions look like, leading to a rush to lock in heroes right as time expires. Counterpicks are common.

Ultimately winning against a suboptimal lineup is more than possible if you're playing smartly or they're making many mistakes, so it's not as if picking Riki into Bloodseeker or Sniper into Spirit Breaker means an automatic loss. Smart item choices during the game can help a ton.

The best solution is to not play All Pick.
hex.gif

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Chicken is right.

Real men pick instantly and don't give a shit if they get counterpicked.
ashot_sven.gif

frontovik

Banned
Thanks very much for the info, fellows, I appreciate it...

I have been focusing on Limited Heroes, All Pick, and Random. I should play more Randoms :p

Here's my steam profile if any of you would be willing to help as a mentor. I'd highly appreciate it! Or you don't have to be a mentor, as I'd prefer to play with the GAF community instead of pickup groups.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/westminstervancouver/

Thanks very much for the info, fellows, I appreciate it...

I have been focusing on Limited Heroes, All Pick, and Random. I should play more Randoms :p

Here's my steam profile if any of you would be willing to help as a mentor. I'd highly appreciate it! Or do you don't have to be a mentor, though I'd prefer to play with the GAF community instead of pickup groups.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/westminstervancouver/

I'll add you, I'm pretty new too (I played Warcraft III but never the original DotA).

Everyone will give you specific heroes to learn the game on, which are almost always support heroes that don't require a lot of items to do their job (like Lich). But you aren't going to learn much if you aren't having fun, so try out a bunch of heroes, find one or more that feels good to you, read some guides, and learn the game's mechanics. Screw being forced to be a ward courier when starting out.

Hylian7

Depends on how beginner you are. If you don't have any idea what most of the heroes in the game do, then waiting or anything probably won't do you much good unless your teammates know something.

Basically this is what a typical team *should* be composed of:

A safe lane farming carry
A solo mid hero
An offlane hero
One support that requires some farm, but can still pitch in on support duties (such as Enigma)
One hard support

Obviously this won't happen in every pub game, but ideally picking like that will net you the best results. If you don't know the heroes in the game, pick one that fits into the roles that your team needs, and basically avoid the "no-no" picks for beginners (Chen, Meepo, etc.).

I know JC Sera in this thread has a guide of hero difficulty for beginners. I'm working on something to eventually go in the OP that will be a good graphical representation of that, along with descriptions of what each hero basically does as this doesn't really change from patch to patch, just details and such.

Top Bottom