• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT11| $400 of Support and Passion

Hylian7

I honestly think Spectre will be the next big carry for 6.85. She's extremely underrated right now. I think part of the reason people don't respect her power, at least as far as pubs go, is because they usually go the wrong skill build.

t9Lsxv0.png

Maxing Dagger is a complete waste I've found. You always get more mileage out of Desolate. I mean, they only have to be alone in a 325 radius for you to get Desolate procs. It's amazing for picking up early kills, and then it even makes your early game Haunts great. The other team only has to be slightly spread out and they can still wreck havoc. Plus, mana cost goes up on Dagger per level, and Spectre's mana pool isn't that great. You'd rather have the mana for more Haunts and more Daggers. I usually go for just two Dagger after maxing Desolate, then max Dispersion.

Also for what it's worth, there's a few things many people don't know about Desolate that really help make it so good.

1. Desolate happens right before your attack hits. The Desolate proc will always hit as long as your attack goes through, so even if they have evasion and you miss, you are still getting the Desolate damage on them.
2. Desolate is it's own damage instance. For instance if you are against a TA who has two refraction charges, and is alone to get a Desolate proc, then you take out both of them in one hit.
3. Works with Octarine Core. This one is kind of smaller, but still cool. It doesn't work on Dispersion though, unless that's changed next patch.

I honestly think Spectre will be the next big carry for 6.85. She's extremely underrated right now. I think part of the reason people don't respect her power, at least as far as pubs go, is because they usually go the wrong skill build.

t9Lsxv0.png

Maxing Dagger is a complete waste I've found. You always get more mileage out of Desolate. I mean, they only have to be alone in a 325 radius for you to get Desolate procs. It's amazing for picking up early kills, and then it even makes your early game Haunts great. The other team only has to be slightly spread out and they can still wreck havoc. Plus, mana cost goes up on Dagger per level, and Spectre's mana pool isn't that great. You'd rather have the mana for more Haunts and more Daggers. I usually go for just two Dagger after maxing Desolate, then max Dispersion.

Also for what it's worth, there's a few things many people don't know about Desolate that really help make it so good.

1. Desolate happens right before your attack hits. The Desolate proc will always hit as long as your attack goes through, so even if they have evasion and you miss, you are still getting the Desolate damage on them.
2. Desolate is it's own damage instance. For instance if you are against a TA who has two refraction charges, and is alone to get a Desolate proc, then you take out both of them in one hit.
3. Works with Octarine Core. This one is kind of smaller, but still cool. It doesn't work on Dispersion though, unless that's changed next patch.

1-4-1-1 get stats
max dispersion once you get real hp
best build
kunk-rum.gif

she's still rather junk

radiance manta bfly octarine heart/skadi BoTs or bust

Another thing is, Dota pros burn out fast. Whether it's because it wasn't a sustainable career (for a long time) or because of age-related deterioration or something else is anyone's guess, but there's probably a reason only a few players like Fear and Burning have been been able to remain relevant into their 30s.

Both Fear and Burning are 27 this year. As much as we make fun of them being old they're not as old as people assume they are.

(Yes I'm a olde and decrepit man in my 30s who will never make $$$ playing video games)
cry.gif

Wok

If you don't go with the MoM build to jungle Spectre, you are missing out.

If I remember well, it is PMS Phase MoM, then Radiance and Diffusal.

Holden

Thinking a bit about the game i played 2 days ago with demoli/tusr/inkls/nilay

should have got a euls to deal with the ursa, whenever he ultis just use the euls to purge it, i should have thought of it sooner

i love losing games, gives so much info why i suck :^(

Same.

Merci, DV.

I had no idea that was a thing. Installed.

Holy shit. Thanks.

always happy to be of usefulness, friends. the difference that single plug-in has made for my laptop and desktop can't even be quantified. It's saving me about 25C on my poor MBP's CPU and about 50% of my memory. I'll peddle that program until I'm old and grey.

for those using Chrome https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/the-great-suspender/klbibkeccnjlkjkiokjodocebajanakg?hl=en

please do your pc a favor and install immediately.

Hylian7

i can never get spectre to work for me. every game i play as her is a disaster.

they always seem to know how to deal with her when i play her
SE4ecn6.gif

It's all about finding the space to farm, and if you have to going with unconventional farming methods. If 4 people on the other team are sitting in the safe lane trying to shut down you go farm in the offlane. Farm mid if you need to. If you can't go to any lane safely, then stack jungle camps and slowly farm them. Casual Ring of Health, Poor Man's Shield, and Quelling Blade are your best friends until you get Radiance.

Also any game where your team is saying "You probably shouldn't go Radiance", most of the time they are wrong and if it really is that bad, you are unlikely to win no matter what you get. I know I have been in TONS of games where my teammates were saying "Maybe you shouldn't go Radiance" and I still went Radiance and we won. That miss chance with the burn is just too much to give up.

Also do what you can to keep team morale up too, really helps because if people give up your space to farm will decrease. All they really have to do is buy your time. If they ain't knocking down your base then you definitely haven't lost.

If you don't go with the MoM build to jungle Spectre, you are missing out.

Ehhhh, no thanks. Anyone looks at you with MoM on and you're already dead, unless you're talking MoM after you get some health. Radiance is where it's at.

Losing to a PA, ursa and jakiro

100.gif

well you had inkls so I guess that's a good excuse
euls fucks PA when her bkb goes low too

always happy to be of usefulness, friends. the difference that single plug-in has made for my laptop and desktop can't even be quantified. It's saving me about 25C on my poor MBP's CPU and about 50% of my memory. I'll peddle that program until I'm old and grey.

for those using Chrome https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/the-great-suspender/klbibkeccnjlkjkiokjodocebajanakg?hl=en

please do your pc a favor and install immediately.

firefox master race

Wok

my problem with spectre is that when you're in lane if they so much as look at you you're dead

This is why I would stay in lane only to get Phase and MoM. Once you have these, you can play a scary Spectre to 1 vs 1 some bully opponents in lane, and more importantly, you can farm the jungle from time to time really fast (lane -> jungle -> back to lane).

Hylian7

my problem with spectre is that when you're in lane if they so much as look at you you're dead

Just gotta watch the map and be mindful of your positioning. Being on the right side of the lane when you know they are coming, gives you much more time to dagger into the trees. Beyond that, like I said, Poor Man's, Quelling Blade, and casual Ring of Health. Bring enough regen to the lane with you from the start, usually one Salve and one Tango is enough.

Max Desolate, be watching the map for good haunts to make. If you make haunts that get you double or even triple kills you are putting yourself ahead so easily.

http://www.dotabuff.com/matches/1728380407

Pretty good example of a game that you would think looking at the lineups, that all those guys would give me some trouble. However they would try to 4-man rush the safelane, and I would go sit in the offlane and farm right by the tower for about 10 minutes. I got Radiance up in 20 minutes in this game, and beyond that I just went completely out of control.

Xxs49nh.png

A few other things I want to point out, results of good early haunts:

6mjBK6q.png

UzhDNFI.png

At this point I was doing so well that I was mostly by myself in this teamfight after my teammates died, and Radiance and Dispersion did WORK.

n2hRneK.png

I died, yeah, but it was totes worth it.

Hylian7

I just had a mid go 2-10 and troll us as a mid lina in a ranked game at 3400. I can't even understand that right now. so frustrating.

These people happen occasionally. Report them, and enjoy the notification that action was taken against them right after the game.
highfive.gif

Alternatively, you can also try to drag them through the game kicking and screaming to whack the enemy ancient. I have done that on a few occasions when I had a teammate that decided to intentionally feed, fed 5 deaths or so, and we STILL won. In fact here's one such game (it's like a year old, so no replay):

http://www.dotabuff.com/matches/756851955

The Sand King got frustrated about something about Tiny taking one of his camps and declared he would intentionally feed. I said "NOPE FUCK THAT NOISE" and carried them to victory, then SK started playing for real again.

I forgot I do have video of it though: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8_SihPTEQw

I will never understand why radiance Rush on spectre is the normal itemisation on her. I always prefer vanguard, diffu, manta, hearth,....

You normally don't get the space to Farm the radiance if the enemy Team is even half decent and are of no use for the wohle game if you dont get it relatively fast. Other builds are much more reliable to survive and get ahead in early/mid game and spectre still wrecks shit in lategame.

At least sometimes the entire enemy team is worse than your terrible mid, so there's that
Like my last game where our mid stalker did jackshit and even built horribly, be it skills or items. Enemy team just didn't do anything about it and kept trying to force fights

http://www.dotabuff.com/matches/1730158013

Their safelane and mid lane weren't contested at all and they could have done fine in their hard lane even, but they just kept dying for all the wrong reasons and taking unnecessary fights when we were ahead (why would you take a fight at night vs ursa with aegis blink, night stalker and a balling mirana ? just chill out on high ground/farm in a safe place instead)

Just gotta assess the game's situation and act accordingly I guess. Sometimes all is lost because your mid or carry is shite on a snowball hero and one or two other dudes do shit too, in that case you just gotta accept you'll lose and make it quick, but don't underestimate how shit the enemy can be too

jew

Banned
hey guys top 100 spectre player here the build is midas->dagon->eblade->refresher and u just haunt and dagon people

Late game where is ult is 60s CD (even 45 with oct), and BKBs are getting to 5 seconds ? nah
also add veil on top of that

He falls off at some point but is never irrelevant imo (except very early if you can't make things happen with gale)
midas > aghs > blink > veil > BoT > octarine works great
He's also decent at split pushing honestly

Zoon

I'm playing him as an offlaner, 0-2-3 build when solo(1-2-2 otherwise).At level 3 you can pretty much destroy any dual lane.tranquils,oov,basi,->euls(mana sustain,ms,cancelling tps)->aghs,blink,veil.I believe he needs a buff even if it's a small one

OoV is useless on ranged heroes except like maybe techies because he has literally 0 damage at the start of the game
you should really try midas, hero doesn't gain a lot of levels but needs them badly, you need level 3 ult ASAP if you want to still be a menace

I occasionally get euls too but meh. Not sure about tranqs, I like mana boots (which can turn into BoT + octarine later), and usually get aquila to help jungling when there's nothing else to do

OoV is useless on ranged heroes except like maybe techies because he has literally 0 damage at the start of the game
you should really try midas, hero doesn't gain a lot of levels but needs them badly, you need level 3 ult ASAP if you want to still be a menace

I occasionally get euls too but meh. Not sure about tranqs, I like mana boots (which can turn into BoT + octarine later), and usually get aquila to help jungling when there's nothing else to do

I think Oov on veno is strong with his plaugue wards early game. Hero's trying to escape are already moving slow and the extra poison damage catches them off guard.

kionedrik

If Veno could scale into late game he would be a broken mess. He is an early game powerhouse like Undying and that's what he'll always be.

Besides he was already buffed these last 2 patches

Low Tier
hey guys top 100 spectre player here the build is midas->dagon->eblade->refresher and u just haunt and dagon people

vouch this build

yo legit spectres not a good mmr climber, i have never seen that hero stand out in my pubs. sure maybe it works on upper 3k monkeys, but that doesn't make the hero good. Get into Storm more and get into it properly if you wanna climb mmr

but who cares haha hylian probably has me on ignore cuz his skin is as thin as rice paper and he can't take any real criticism towards his posts without feeling like its a personal attack. get real

vouch this build

yo legit spectres not a good mmr climber, i have never seen that hero stand out in my pubs. sure maybe it works on upper 3k monkeys, but that doesn't make the hero good. Get into Storm more and get into it properly if you wanna climb mmr

but who cares haha hylian probably has me on ignore cuz his skin is as thin as rice paper and he can't take any real criticism towards his posts without feeling like its a personal attack. get real

what about 2kers, storm work there too?

Top Bottom