• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT11| $400 of Support and Passion

Hylian7

Having to learn tread switching early on would have put me off the game. It's kind of tedious and there are more important things to learn.

I seriously doubt that given the other tedious stuff in Dota that's there right on the surface.

Why do the creeps go automatically at the same time?
Why does stacking camps work the way it does?
Why can't I just autoattack the creep wave instead of waiting and last hitting it, shouldn't we just attack the bad guys to win?
Why don't I just get the items that give me more damage?
Why shouldn't I start with boots and go fast?

Honestly if Tread switching puts people off of Dota somehow, then this probably isn't the game for them.

Kard8p3

Yeah, I've been hearing the same thing. I asked a friend well versed in the series if I need to play the others first and he said I probably should, but maybe skip 4.

eh 4 is ok, 3 and 2 are def the best. if u havent seen the thread, these guys are doing a 500 hour mg marathon

http://www.twitch.tv/uknighted

edit oh shit they doin mgs3!11

October for consoles. January for pc.

thats dumb 8(

That's a funny way to write Grandia II
clock-eyebrow.gif

who

TUSR

Banned
me too

i tried to talk about CM cosmetics and MGS

maybe we should talk about anime instead of my joking comment about tread swapping that some people cant fucking drop

Satch

Banned
me too

i tried to talk about CM cosmetics and MGS

maybe we should talk about anime instead of my joking comment about tread swapping that some people cant fucking drop

can we talk about how u need to watch DEVDAS, the greatest bollywood film ever made

DrPizza

Banned
all i want to do is to win a fucking game of fucking doto.

7 losses in a row.

also the new team secret: if that's real, ell oh ell.

i'm so hot for windrunner right now.

Hylian you are still trying to equate knowledge about the game and its mechanics to quick actions in the heat of battle. It's not even close to the same thing bro.

Hylian7

Hylian you are still trying to equate knowledge about the game and its mechanics to quick actions in the heat of battle. It's not even close to the same thing bro.

You have to do that to be successful at Dota. Even new players have to do this, even if you throw Tread switching out of the equation. They have to figure out how to position, be in range for their own spells without getting hit by stuff that's avoidable, things of that nature. Tread switching is nothing compared to all that, you are really overcomplicating it.

G.ZZZ

We had megas and like 20k gold advantage and we lost because AM is an idiot who suicided solo rambo their base when we had megas YOLO we can't lose anyway. 4.7k trash.

Also is twitch working like shit or just me? Seems it is just me, everything load so slow.

Mordeccai

im tryna catch up on MGS before I play 5 on my sexy new 980ti. I have never played the series and all I know is snake is some cloned dude with two entities off of Big Boss or some shit

is it okay if I play GZ, then MGS3, and then 5. I guess I could do 2 as well, but I don't think I can squeeze it into this week.

also I guess to be on topic, I just had THE MOST aneurysm inducing match of my life. I was the fifth in a four stack and we were vs another 4 stack.

They convinced their last player to follow their build, which was dagon and blink. fucking lich built a blink. fucking skywrath builds blink

we had (in random draft) idiot team mates pick riki and weaver with slardar in there, guess what they pick slardar

dude gets 7.5 minute blink dagger

he, pudge, and SB proceed to death ball the fuck out of us

mass dagons come out

my keyboard pieces start flying cuz spirit breaker shits all over silencer

BUT THEN WE WIPE THEM AT THE ROSH PIT

take rosh, push mid after being on the defensive for 45 minutes (63 minute game)

destroy the throne. my brain can't handle that shit again.

shira

im tryna catch up on MGS before I play 5 on my sexy new 980ti. I have never played the series and all I know is snake is some cloned dude with two entities off of Big Boss or some shit

is it okay if I play GZ, then MGS3, and then 5. I guess I could do 2 as well, but I don't think I can squeeze it into this week.

You starting MGS at 5
pup.gif

The storyline is already confusing enough.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Guys, how should I set up my 401k Asset Allocation? I'm thinking 50% in an S&P 500 Index, 30% in an International Mutual Fund, and 20% in Bonds.

Mordeccai

Mordeccai go watch the stream i posted, they just started MGS3.

mayne I own that one, sealed subsistence copy, just ripped my PS2 bios last week and gonna emulate that one. Game gets a lot of hype/praise so I decided I must play it. Bout to finish up Dark Cloud 2 tomorrow or Tuesday, then I'll jump onto it.

Kard8p3

mayne I own that one, sealed subsistence copy, just ripped my PS2 bios last week and gonna emulate that one. Game gets a lot of hype/praise so I decided I must play it. Bout to finish up Dark Cloud 2 tomorrow or Tuesday, then I'll jump onto it.

yo, enjoy. that game is one of my favorites, it definitely deserves every bit of praise.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist

Is your the original run, or from one of the Anthologies? Because new copies can sell for about $50, and you can just rebuy a used one:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BXKA38/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Mordeccai

yo, enjoy. that game is one of my favorites, it definitely deserves every bit of praise.

so holmes would you recommend me watching the GB MGS1 and 2 recaps before I hop into 3, or should I just go in balls deep and brain dead (my usual modus operandi)

Is your the original run, or from one of the Anthologies? Because new copies can sell for about $50, and you can just rebuy a used one:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BXKA38/?tag=neogaf0e-20

It's the first run, I bought it with money from working at a car wash as a kid but never got around to it cuz I didn't know if I should play the other entries first but the hype train was real at the time on the gameFAQs. No way imma sell it, im gonna blaze it up and crack the wrapper on that babby and enjoy the feels.

Procarbine

Forever Platinum
Hylian, you need to drop this. I don't know how you can't understand that appending an extra action or decision to every move you make isn't difficult for someone unfamiliar with the game. I further don't know how you ignore that even if you do this well in lower brackets, the benefit is so small it will make no difference to their gameplay whatsoever. Any decent player can make a fresh account, random a hero, and then buy entirely random items and CRUSH new players because the things they need to learn are far more substantial. New players have to focus on things they NEED to do rather than things the could or should do, or maybe doing things a little more efficiently. You don't NEED to tread switch, you NEED to understand the core mechanics of your skills and role of your hero in the game.

You then go on to post a list of such AWFUL false equivalencies it motivated me to post this instead of continuing on my current course.

I seriously doubt that given the other tedious stuff in Dota that's there right on the surface.

Why do the creeps go automatically at the same time? This is an automatic mechanic that players do not control or interact with, and can in NO WAY be compared to the mental dedication of changing your boot based on your current situation.

Why does stacking camps work the way it does? This is entirely unimportant and completely irrelevant. Taking this a step further and moving this to a POSSIBLY meaningful topic like stacking in general I would still call this entirely irrelevant at the beginner level.

Why can't I just autoattack the creep wave instead of waiting and last hitting it, shouldn't we just attack the bad guys to win? You answer the question in one sentence, and can tell people not to do it. They respond ONCE with "ok", and make a mental note of it and never do it again. This can in NO WAY be compared to the mental dedication of changing your boot based on your current situation.

Why don't I just get the items that give me more damage? This can be explained as a concept in a few minutes to someone. They will hopefully process and reflect on this information, incorporating this knowledge in their item selections in the future. You can also ask a friend or look at a guide during a game to help you decide which item to buy in the MINUTES where you acquire the gold to purchase it. This can in NO WAY be compared to the mental dedication of changing your boot based on your current situation.

Why shouldn't I start with boots and go fast? Same answer as above. Except you add that sometimes you do start with boots, but you probably shouldn't until you know what you're doing for real.

Honestly if Tread switching puts people off of Dota somehow, then this probably isn't the game for them. This is such a load of delusional horseshit it's insane. I played and enjoyed dota for a LONG time before even considering tread switching. This game is about team coordination, correct application of skills, acquisition of gold, timing, and positioning. People can play the game at a basic level and enjoy it immensely without worrying about little tiny efficiency boosts. What's going to put them off is trying to ram tons of extra information down their throats that they don't need, or explicitly telling them how they should be playing or enjoying the game.

I'm sorry if this comes off as harsh, but you're being an idiot and shitting up this thread. I hope you now understand why.

also I guess to be on topic, I just had THE MOST aneurysm inducing match of my life. I was the fifth in a four stack and we were vs another 4 stack.

They convinced their last player to follow their build, which was dagon and blink. fucking lich built a blink. fucking skywrath builds blink

we had (in random draft) idiot team mates pick riki and weaver with slardar in there, guess what they pick slardar

dude gets 7.5 minute blink dagger

he, pudge, and SB proceed to death ball the fuck out of us

mass dagons come out

my keyboard pieces start flying cuz spirit breaker shits all over silencer

BUT THEN WE WIPE THEM AT THE ROSH PIT

take rosh, push mid after being on the defensive for 45 minutes (63 minute game)

destroy the throne. my brain can't handle that shit again.
Nodotabuff/10

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
I have now officially spent more money on HotS than Dota 2 in 2015. What have I become?

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Guys, how long does it actually take to finish Ground Zeroes? And is there a good youtube video that shows off the True Ending of Peace Walker, no one told me there was a true ending until like 3 years after I "Beat" the game.

TUSR

Banned
Guys, how long does it actually take to finish Ground Zeroes? And is there a good youtube video that shows off the True Ending of Peace Walker, no one told me there was a true ending until like 3 years after I "Beat" the game.

45 minutes if you hate stealth games like me

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Quoted

Anyway yeah, basically your argument is pretty poor. I started playing dota with WASD camera and just did Sand King. I played so I could get my 35 minute blink dagger and then shift queue (because I played StarCraft) and ultimate.

I liked it did a lot of damage, I liked learning I had two dodge skills and learned to use them better, I liked learning things as I went 'oh Epi slows attack speed too? Neat'.

Over time I made 'bad' decisions that I thought of on my own (like going boots -> Null -> Blink) before blink change so I had enough mana to use my stuff. I forget where I picked it up, but it's something I learned playing dota and I trusted myself to make item decisions actively on a few heroes.

The way you have gone about telling some people off (like your previous ban) that 'You cannot play with Hero locked camera', or 'You are wrong if you dont tread switch' are far far far too absolutist in nature and don't make sense.
And is also countered by not knowing anti-tinker wards despite having 400 games on Tinker.
Kappa.png

Not trying to dogpile, but you have to step back a bit and see how your posts are being taken without calling everyone wrong. I told you this before, but how you think people are perceiving your posts and how you think people are reading them can be completely off base at times.

TUSR

Banned
i actually dont know the name of items in this game

"buy ring of sacrifice"

"this isnt dark souls tusr"

"well fuck"

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
There are pros who don't even tread switch all that efficiently. This is one of the most asinine debates I've ever witnessed.

Hell you don't even have to consider warding (an infinitely more important and valuable skill) for your first hundred games or whatever.

Hylian7

Hylian, you need to drop this. I don't know how you can't understand that appending an extra action or decision to every move you make isn't difficult for someone unfamiliar with the game. I further don't know how you ignore that even if you do this well in lower brackets, the benefit is so small it will make no difference to their gameplay whatsoever. Any decent player can make a fresh account, random a hero, and then buy entirely random items and CRUSH new players because the things they need to learn are far more substantial. New players have to focus on things they NEED to do rather than things the could or should do, or maybe doing things a little more efficiently. You don't NEED to tread switch, you NEED to understand the core mechanics of your skills and role of your hero in the game.

You then go on to post a list of such AWFUL false equivalencies it motivated me to post this instead of continuing on my current course.

I'm sorry if this comes off as harsh, but you're being an idiot and shitting up this thread. I hope you now understand why.

The fact that you're stooping to insults like this is really silly.

You still completely missed my point. One thing that particularly stuck out was the last part how I said that people that think Tread switching would put them off of the game, then it probably isn't the game for them. This is absolutely true. Dota is full of tons of weird mechanics, that eventually make sense once you gain a better understanding of the game. Some players are put off by the fact that they have to farm on carries and play what they see as "PvE" to win the game. Some people are put off by the fact that some heroes can be particularly frustrating to play against when they don't know how to deal with them. An example of this might be Nature's Prophet being able to show up anywhere on the map on a 20 second cooldown.

Saying that Tread switching is not important is objectively false. I have already made a post about the math behind that. It's a very significant boost that can really give new players the boost they need. As I have generally seen over the years I have been playing, there are two (of probably more than that) types of players that this can really benefit.

1. Those that use their spells too much.
2. Those that don't use their spells enough.

Tread switching would easily benefit the first category, the latter has something different to work on, but yet Tread switching would not hurt them as well.

Hylian7

Quoted

Anyway yeah, basically your argument is pretty poor. I started playing dota with WASD camera and just did Sand King. I played so I could get my 35 minute blink dagger and then shift queue (because I played StarCraft) and ultimate.

I liked it did a lot of damage, I liked learning I had two dodge skills and learned to use them better, I liked learning things as I went 'oh Epi slows attack speed too? Neat'.

Over time I made 'bad' decisions that I thought of on my own (like going boots -> Null -> Blink) before blink change so I had enough mana to use my stuff. I forget where I picked it up, but it's something I learned playing dota and I trusted myself to make item decisions actively on a few heroes.

The way you have gone about telling some people off (like your previous ban) that 'You cannot play with Hero locked camera', or 'You are wrong if you dont tread switch' are far far far too absolutist in nature and don't make sense.
And is also countered by not knowing anti-tinker wards despite having 400 games on Tinker.
Kappa.png

Not trying to dogpile, but you have to step back a bit and see how your posts are being taken without calling everyone wrong. I told you this before, but how you think people are perceiving your posts and how you think people are reading them can be completely off base at times.

Honestly that ban made no sense, I took a look at it, and still think it was absolutely ridiculous. The guy in that thread wanted to do the equivalent of playing checkers by picking up the pieces with the toes and say "I'M HAVING FUN MIND YOUR OWN BUSINESS" when you ask him to stop. It's actively ruining the game if you play that way. It's a simple fact, you know this, everyone knows this.

I don't have any proof of this, but I feel like you and others are just trying to find ways to pick fights with me over something this stupid. Tread switching is so mindnumbingly simple that it absoultely would not hurt and only benefit a new player for them to learn it.

and youre put off by thinking heroes like slark are OP

when youre the only one with this mentality

can we just drop this shit rofl

also i spec you all the time and you cant tread swap properly after 5000 games

I admit, I forget to do it sometimes, but it's something I should absolutely improve on.

There are pros who don't even tread switch all that efficiently. This is one of the most asinine debates I've ever witnessed.

Hell you don't even have to consider warding (an infinitely more important and valuable skill) for your first hundred games or whatever.

Where are these pros that don't Tread switch effectively? I have yet to hear about any of these.

Saying you don't have to consider wards in your first hundred games or so is absolutely false. Why wouldn't you take this simple advantage that can put your team leaps and bounds ahead of the other team so easily by buying a 50g item and putting it somewhere on the map?

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Just quit this game. It's shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit.
I have not played a Dota 2 game in a full week and I do not miss seeing a god damned Techies every game. That alone is reason enough to play HotS IMO

What have you bought?
Just a bundle with some heroes and other junk in it. I really hate the LoL business model a whole lot, but I've already in this short amount of time gotten way more than $20 worth of enjoyment out of HotS. I don't see myself whaling on all the corny hero skins and stuff, but getting a jump start on a hero collection seemed like a worthy investment.

Low Tier
one day i hope to play in a game with tusr's legendary TA

one day i hope life is strange episode 5 releases and it is everything i wanted

one day

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Honestly Slark needs a buff. His early game is so shit and he is a snowball hero who can lose his edge super easily. I don't know why Icefrog kept nerfing Pounce's damage.

can we just talk about steven universe or something instead

Nope, because the show isn't back on the air until September
cry.gif

Top Bottom