• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT11| $400 of Support and Passion

BO7 takes at least 5 hours and can take up to 12 hours if it goes to the seventh game if you include breaks. And nobody is interested in watching the finals over two days.

Pratfall

people still picking sniper
sleeping.gif
sleeping.gif
sleeping.gif
sleeping.gif
sleeping.gif
sleeping.gif
sleeping.gif
sleeping.gif

-Snooze-

Banned
Been having some computer troubles which have attributed (not soley) to a 1k loss on mmr. Now I'm up and running again what hero can I spam to win some games and get back my mmr ?

pick alchemist and farm 4 aghs for your team, guaranteed win
(especially if you have a pugna on your team, aghs is so so good on him you can't lose when you get it)

Chris R

Support gyro

It's kinda good (I should have been the carry in the sven/gyro lane since sven kinda stunk but whatever, be a team player, ez win)

edit: Demihero isn't that bad of a price. Nice little desk ornament. The pins tho... holy fuck at those prices.

Hylian7

Is AA not playable as a solo support position 5? I'm trying to play it and it feels impossible to be expected to buy all the wards and actually get an item ever. The team I'm against looks at me the wrong way anywhere and I'm already dead.

Is AA not playable as a solo support position 5? I'm trying to play it and it feels impossible to be expected to buy all the wards and actually get an item ever. The team I'm against looks at me the wrong way anywhere and I'm already dead.
You don't really need anything though, aghs is nice, force is nice, but he can do just fine without anything. It's not like solo support SK or Shaman where your effectiveness is hampered by not having a blink(and mana boots if you're shaman). I like saving up for midas on AA to get some items if the game goes late.

And being frail is par for the course if you're a support like AA, most of his spells don't need him to be anywhere close to the action so improve your positioning.

Hylian7

You don't really need anything though, aghs is nice, force is nice, but he can do just fine without anything. It's not like solo support SK or Shaman where your effectiveness is hampered by not having a blink(and mana boots if you're shaman). I like saving up for midas on AA to get some items if the game goes late.

And being frail is par for the course if you're a support like AA, most of his spells don't need him to be anywhere close to the action so improve your positioning.

I'm up against Huskar, Blink Tinker, Blink Tiny, QoP, and Undying...how exactly do I outposition all that?

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
AA is one of the heroes that in fights, you can stay really far back, so that if the enemy wants to get to you in a team fight, they would have to dive past your team first.

Hylian7

AA is one of the heroes that in fights, you can stay really far back, so that if the enemy wants to get to you in a team fight, they would have to dive past your team first.

Right, but like in the example above where it's more like "skip past them" than dive.

D

Deleted member 77995

Unconfirmed Member
I'm up against Huskar, Blink Tinker, Blink Tiny, QoP, and Undying...how exactly do I outposition all that?

dont be within vision range of those guys. you just said it yourself, you dont have to use all your spells to win. play aa like doom if you need to, literally only for his ult.

Hylian7

dont be within vision range of those guys. you just said it yourself, you dont have to use all your spells to win. play aa like doom if you need to, literally only for his ult.

Right, but I meant not ALL of them, not only one of them. :/

That really makes AA kind of useless, don't you think if all he can do is ult and that's about it?

Volodja

Right, but I meant not ALL of them, not only one of them. :/

That really makes AA kind of useless, don't you think if all he can do is ult and that's about it?
No, I don't think anybody would categorize being able to cut the life of the entire enemy team by 10% for 10 seconds denying all healing while maybe pushing another lane or trying to get some farm on the side as being useless. Especially when the enemy team has a Huskar.

Let's be clear, being able to use your skills a bit more would be nice, but sometimes as a support you have periods where not being seen at all is your best option, and AA has the advantage of being able to still do something really big in a fight even in that position.

Smithy C

Man, 15 Compendium Chests, not one of the rare bonus items. Woof.

Did get the Faceless Rex in my 7th Collector's Cache, but still.

Hylian7

No, I don't think anybody would categorize being able to cut the life of the entire enemy team by 10% for 10 seconds denying all healing while maybe pushing another lane or trying to get some farm on the side as being useless. Especially when the enemy team has a Huskar.

Let's be clear, being able to use your skills a bit more would be nice, but sometimes as a support you have periods where not being seen at all is your best option, and AA has the advantage of being able to still do something really big in a fight even in that position.

In that case then, wouldn't you want to pick almost any other hero? I mean, it seems mathmatically pointless to pick a hero that is 3/4 useless in most situations for an ult that's okay, but he's not going to be getting super leveled and eveyrone else will be ahead of him.

First of all, Chilling Touch is an amazingly powerful skill in lane, especially in a triple range trilane. Second, Ice Vortex has great utility for scouting and controlling space.

Finally, AA's ult is one of the most powerful spells in the game, it renders several heroes almost useless if he lands it. It's not about the damage, it's about disabling healing and the shatter. AA is good because he can be useful at global range and if played optimally never has to die, I saw one pro game in which AA died zero times in a LOSS.

Volodja

In that case then, wouldn't you want to pick almost any other hero? I mean, it seems mathmatically pointless to pick a hero that is 3/4 useless in most situations for an ult that's okay, but he's not going to be getting super leveled and eveyrone else will be ahead of him.
What does general utility of different heroes have to do when we are specifically talking about a situation where you feel like you couldn't get anywhere close to a fight with a specific hero?
I can't tell you if another pick would've been better if I don't know your lineup, your laning, their laning and what the hell happened in the game to get to that point. There's plenty of situations where you can do fuck all with other supports, being useless or less useful at a certain point in the game doesn't discount the entirety of the hero and AA actually retains usefulness quite well throughout the game thanks to his ultimate.

you shouldn't even be in blink range against that comp, tbh. Get a good ult and chilling touch + ice vortex where your team mates are and then just aa anyone who gets too deep.

That said, qop is hard. Need a force staff

iamblades

win: https://www.dotabuff.com/matches/1641489163

lose: https://www.dotabuff.com/matches/1641616550

played a few games on Spectre last night with mix results. the one I lose I'm honestly not sure how the other team snowballed so fast. I did make some mistakes and got ganked mid game but things just went out of control faster then I expected and next thing I know I'm several lvls behind and even after I finished Radiance I can't stay in fights because I didn't have enough HP. the NP was supportive enough and the Lion had help harassing in lane and warded. the WR did rather well mid from the look of things but the Tidehunter just said he's getting ganked in off lane and then went on to farm jungle and build a Bloodstone. at the end those 2 seem to blame the lose on me but oh well. any inputs and criticism?

This is my personal opinion, but if you don't have free farm and a team that can go even as 4v5, then don't build a radiance in the early game. I basically always get at least drums yasha or drums vanguard or aquila and one of the above on almost any hard carry I play other than AM(and I fucking suck with AM), because all you have to do on most hard carries is survive the early to mid game.

Rad rush makes your early game so weak that it makes it impossible for you to help out and turn around a poor early game by the rest of your team, even if you get it relatively quickly.

You don't even have to go diffusal as an alternative to radiance. Straight up treads(or phase)>drums>manta is a super powerful early game fight build that does not gimp your farming speed much at all.

I also second the motion about getting at least a casual ring of health if not just a full vanguard occasionally as spectre. If you don't have a completely controlled static free farm lane, you will have to dip into the jungle occasionally, which means you will not be full HP if a fight breaks out unless you build some regen.

Spectre is an almost unchallenged late game beast, so it does little harm in delaying your late game by 5 or so minutes to insure that your team can survive to that point. This is especially crucial when going up against cores like shadow fiend and Leshrac like that loss that you posted, who come online much much sooner than radiance spectre does.

Also don't let people convince you that radiance is only good if you get it early game. I get the logic, but spec doesn't really use the rad to farm like a naga or something, so it isn't mandatory to get it (or diffusal) as a first core item.

iamblades

How are you supposed to get it if you're given no farm? Get 30 minute midas?

with clever exploitation of reliable gold hoarding, and skimping on support items wherever possible(hey, your team is the one that stuck you playing solo support 5, so fuck em if they think they aren't getting enough wards). You buy the bare minimum in wards to protect your farming areas, and AA isnt the kind of support who is going to be spending gold on smokes and dust and trying to get active on the map and ganking, and you should be able to scrounge together a 15 minute midas at the latest. You have no really team fight initiation or counter initiation abilities, so you don't really need mobility items.

The real issue with AA in the current meta is that AA is a hero that thrives in tri vs tri lanes, which are currently super rare. You can still be useful with him with a sub-optimal laning phase though, especially as mentioned if you counter pick against huskar or undying etc.

Even without being a counter pick though, you scrounge together a sub 15 minute midas, and at 30 minutes you are going to be wrecking shit with AA.

Top Bottom