• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT11| $400 of Support and Passion

It's amazing that, as conceptually simple as fighting games are (beat the shit out of the other dude) I had basically no idea what was going on in that final.
SFIV might look simple but it has a bunch of complicated mechanics that make some parts of it hard to follow like FADC.

You don't realize just how complicated it is until you try it yourself though.

DrPizza

Banned
SFIV might look simple but it has a bunch of complicated mechanics that make some parts of it hard to follow like FADC.

The big bit I didn't get is why it sort of pauses or stutters each time they land a punch/kick. It's clearly deliberate, but it looks fucking weird. I haven't played a fighting game since MK3 on SNES, and it didn't do that.

You don't realize just how complicated it is until you try it yourself though.
I tried the tutorial of Killer Instinct on XB1 (since the game is free, though I think characters may cost money, not sure), and it was insanely complex and I couldn't even do the moves reliably enough to get through the tutorial properly, so I gave up.

Please set your avatar back to Windrunner.

I tried the tutorial of Killer Instinct on XB1 (since the game is free, though I think characters may cost money, not sure), and it was insanely complex and I couldn't even do the moves reliably enough to get through the tutorial properly, so I gave up.
Getting into fighting games can be about as inpenetrable as getting into Dota, the skills you need to have are completely different though.
Please set your avatar back to Windrunner.
no

I might once I find an actual good one I can use, I'm stuck in avatar limbo.
when does Jamie Lee Curtis come to the international

We get shitty celebs like Jeremy Lin

The big bit I didn't get is why it sort of pauses or stutters each time they land a punch/kick. It's clearly deliberate, but it looks fucking weird. I haven't played a fighting game since MK3 on SNES, and it didn't do that.

Capcom fighters have always done it. Aesthetically, it sells the impact of landing a move much more for me. Mechanically, it allows for things called option selects, which is essentially a way of entering inputs that cover multiple scenarios.

In Dota terms: imagine if after a Puck Eul's himself, I could input a command as Disruptor that would let me cast Static Storm if Puck doesn't blink away, or Glimpse if he did blink away.

If that sounds broken: It absolutely is, but it's also a fundamental mechanic of playing Street Fighter at a high level.

Mechanically, it allows for things called option selects, which is essentially a way of entering inputs that cover multiple scenarios.

Block/hit stun is used for hit confirms, frame traps, and tick throws, not really option selects. Option selects cover things when moves whiff.

Block/hit stun is used for hit confirms, frame traps, and tick throws, not really option selects. Option selects cover things when moves whiff.

Option Selects are just a sequence that you do to cover more than one case, they're not necessarily limited to cases when moves whiff.

For example: SF4 Seth Option select:
do DP MP, DP MP + MK. It Option selects from second input of Dragon Punch if the move connects, or FADC cancel if it's blocked. It actually does absolutely nothing for you if your DP whiffs.

Now that I think about it more I guess you're right in that they're nothing stopping Capcom from separating out the "moves can be cancelled if they hit/or are blocked" property from the hit/block stun property if they really wanted to.

To those bummed you can't party up across pc and ps4 in rocket league, apparently they're working on that. Until then, someone on reddit suggested coordinating to both queue at the same time for a server region where it's like 4am. You'll have a decent chance to be matched up together and if you do you can just continue being on the same server from there.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
i still have a ti ticket u stupid fucks
doesnt someone want one

also i should give out some codes for the IHL I guess
My Twitter feed is full of nothing but EVO talk. I didn't realize this many people cared about fighting games
It was incredible this year

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
You guys I'm so fucking addicted to Monster Hunter it ain't even funny. What the hell? I won 5 of my 6 Dota games today and I don't even give a shit. Mons were hunted between all those games and for hours afterwards.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
did i win anything
My
heart.gif

My Twitter feed is full of nothing but EVO talk. I didn't realize this many people cared about fighting games

It was literally one of the most amazing finals ever, it had everything: hype, drama, controversy, Healing!, heel turns, face turns, Razer being shit, Healing again, cliffhangers, everything.

How long did the compendium leveling system run after TI5?

I guess it's hard to compare but last year I got to level 53, got a fairly sweet exclusive courier by freeloading. This year I'm only level 17 and don't expect to get a pet.

How long did the compendium leveling system run after TI5?

I guess it's hard to compare but last year I got to level 53, got a fairly sweet exclusive courier by freeloading. This year I'm only level 17 and don't expect to get a pet.

Yeah you will not get it unless you spend $$$. Last year I reached level 90+ without spending additional money, this year I'm seating at 24 and I've bought 2 exclusive chests too. That pet is annoying anyway.

how much is microsoft giving to push such an irrelevant game as KI

Billions. Major Nelson wanted to do the commentary but it was over the budget limit.

I watched a few fighting games yesterday and I had no idea what was going on. The announcers were all hyped and all I saw was spell spamming and missing.

Yeah I'm not going to lose sleep over the pet. Doesn't really feel like there's as much to look forward to now the base gifts have been doled out. It's a very front loaded compendium unless you spend cash.

Pratfall

Is there an effort on those evo streams to onboard people who are new to fighting games? some explanation of the advanced techniques?

I basically can only sort of comprehend MK and SF. Every other fighting game is incomprehensible.

Kade

Seth Killian tried to explain mechanics and characters as they appeared at the start of Top 8 but eventually gave up.

TomHanks

Neo Member
Is there an effort on those evo streams to onboard people who are new to fighting games? some explanation of the advanced techniques?

I basically can only sort of comprehend MK and SF. Every other fighting game is incomprehensible.

Chen and Seth try to break down SF for newer players. Marvel is basically impossible to break down to someone watching for the first time, while commentating live.

Chen and Seth try to break down SF for newer players. Marvel is basically impossible to break down to someone watching for the first time, while commentating live.

nah it's pretty easy
"juggles juggles juggles juggles oh well that was a 100 to 0 combo, round is over"

Pratfall

I know EVO is more of a fan run thing than other big esport events but it would be so much more fun to watch if they broke down some of the advanced mechanics and character differences. Something like the newbie stream for dota.

anyways...trying to bring it back on topic of this shit game, got any farming pattern tips that will help at 2ker get out of a tilt?
lost 300 points...fml

playing as clinkz

anyways...trying to bring it back on topic of this shit game, got any farming pattern tips that will help at 2ker get out of a tilt?
lost 300 points...fml

playing as clinkz

there's no preset pattern, it's all about knowing where is safe to farm and where isn't
as clinkz anyway you don't want to farm too much. Stalk the enemy jungle, farm their camps if nobody's around, and try to gank somebody when the opportunity presents itself. Be it in mid lane (wrap around) or safe lane
treads into deso (with an optional medallion) should ensure easy solo kills or duo kills on cores

Pratfall

lost 300 points...fml

push out lanes until you feel unsafe. Rotate to jungle (enemy if possible to deny their farm) or ancients, clear as much as possible but don't miss out on lane farm if no one else is grabbing it. Always carry 2 TPs and TP to large waves. I recommend 2 so that you can TP to farm and still have one on hand if a fight breaks out. The key to efficient farming is knowing when to TP to fights and when to allow your team to fight without you and clearly communicating that to them.

Your teammates will bitch and moan that you are farming too much and not diving the other team with them but put that shit on ignore and hit creeps, they will thank you later.

Oh as clinkz. Different then. You want to hit towers.

I know EVO is more of a fan run thing than other big esport events but it would be so much more fun to watch if they broke down some of the advanced mechanics and character differences. Something like the newbie stream for dota.
I get what you're saying but there's too much going on at the same time to be able to explain anything, and games are over very fast. Even when in SF two characters are staring at each other doing nothing there's actually a lot going on.

Top Bottom