• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT11| $400 of Support and Passion

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
If you put the hours into that which you put into Dota you probably could be. A person can only have so many (like one) of these types of hobbies in their life.

We're two weeks away from a tournament where the winners will walk away with a million dollars each.

Not if you count taxes and team fees.
horse.gif

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
If you put the hours into that which you put into Dota you probably could be. A person can only have so many (like one) of these types of hobbies in their life.

The difference is, I treat DOTA like a mixture of work and play. I enjoy putting in the work so I don't mind putting in the time.

When I played EXVS and went into the training room to practice some combos, all I can think of is: "This is not fun. This is rote exercise in the vague hope that it will result in fun sometime in the indefinite future."

Tagyhag

I haven't been keeping up with competitive DOTA in a loooooong time.

ROTK and Burning aren't retired? Guess it's time to root for EHOME and Invictus.

I'm glad, I thought I wasn't going to have a horse this year.

I'm also happy that even the last 2 teams will get some money, it always was pretty sad seeing them leave home empty handed.

Probably. To be honest though, the mechanical skills involved in fighting games are the exact stuff that limits me in Dota. I'm not good at really twitchy games. Especially ones that are so punishing to misplays. I've been itching to try fighting games again, though, so perhaps something will stick and I'll git gud.
you could have like

real life skills
Already got those in spades
cool.gif

shira

Xiao8 didn't retire either? That money allure gawd dayum.

I haven't been keeping up with competitive DOTA in a loooooong time.

ROTK and Burning aren't retired? Guess it's time to root for EHOME and Invictus.

I'm glad, I thought I wasn't going to have a horse this year.

I'm also happy that even the last 2 teams will get some money, it always was pretty sad seeing them leave home empty handed.

As the great Darryl Koh once said: Dota is like eating. You don't retire from eating.
dac15_sad.gif
dac15_sad.gif
dac15_sad.gif

D

Deleted member 77995

Unconfirmed Member
combos are the last thing you need to worry about in a fighting game, tbh

spacing and recognizing danger zones will do a lot more for you than you x number of hours in the training room

Haly

I can't even QCF consistently on the left side, cut me some slack okay.

Pratfall

i find practicing fighting games boring cuz you are on your own. I don't mind putting time into dota cuz I am usually playing with friends.

spacing and recognizing danger zones will do a lot more for you than you x number of hours in the training room
I can't do the footsies.

I miss school when footsies meant flirting with your feet.
i find practicing fighting games boring cuz you are on your own. I don't mind putting time into dota cuz I am usually playing with friends.
yeah, this is another issue. I know like 2 people who are in to fighting games, neither of which I'm close to.

Hylian7

Everyone always says that, but I always feel like I'm clumsily trying to play without doing the fancy combos I see everyone else do.

Haly

Also I don't enjoy or take an interest in SF4's style of footsies. I prefer "anime" fighters where if you're not looping for 30 seconds you ain't shit.

Also I don't enjoy or take an interest in SF4's style of footsies. I prefer "anime" fighters where if you're not looping for 30 seconds you ain't shit.

What does "looping" mean in this context?

I think I'll pick up skull girls. That way even if I'm garbage I can still enjoy looking at some of the nicest art in recent games

Haly

A long combo string followed by some kind of reset and then you go through the string all over again. Otherwise when you finish your combo they're grounded.

I'm thinking specifically of P4A's One More Cancel and TvC's Baroque.

A long combo string followed by some kind of reset and then you go through the string all over again. Otherwise when you finish your combo they're grounded.

I'm thinking specifically of P4A's One More Cancel and TvC's Baroque.

oooh I understand. I didn't have a word for this, good to know.

As far as anime fighters I actually haven't enjoyed P4A so much (speaking from a spectator standpoint, of course). I think it might be that Persona seems to be fucking everywhere and I'm tired of seeing it, but the teddy spam doesn't help.

Can't find this info anywhere somewhy.

I'm trying to organise a pubstomp in my area (quebec) and I can't find at what time the pubstomp should start. Anyone managed to get this info?

Quesa

Anime fighters tend to have longer combos to practice so it's interesting that you prefer them, Haly.

Either way if the execution hurdle is a problem, that thunder rising game they pimped at EVO is trying to get rid of that stuff. I find practicing combos fun but I'm not very good at them.

Top Bottom