• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT11| $400 of Support and Passion

bbd23

With today’s update, we’ve enabled Ranked Matchmaking in the Dota 2 Reborn beta. You can now complete Compendium Challenges as well, and doing so in the Reborn beta gives you 50% more coins

more coins? REBORN TIME

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
These reborn patches are killing me. Why is the client not separate from the old client??
rage.gif

Hylian7

I wanted to make a post on this back when Reborn came out, but couldn't because I was banned at the time.

I don't think the in-game UI needs any kind of overhaul without everything gameplaywise being tailored to support something like that. A common argument for this is LoL's HUD and how it's scalable, minimal, etc. LoL's HUD is nice, don't get me wrong, but ever since Dota 1, Dota has been designed to play with a HUD taking up roughly that amount of screen real estate. The gameplay changes that would have to be made would be mainly certain ranges of skills, many being made much larger.

Let's take an example here. Clockwerk's hook range:

Cast Range: 2000/2500/3000

Now, these are pretty large ranges, and assuming there is vision on Clockwerk, it takes a few factors to be able to see it coming and avoid it. These factors are as follows.

1. Map awareness: Even if without looking at Clockwerk, and seeing him on the minimap, you can probably guess if you are in hook range or not.
2. Clockwerk's direction he is facing: If he has his back to you and isn't hooking in your direction, you're fine.
3. Your camera positioning. Unless you can easily guess where the hook is going, you have to look at him to tell where he's throwing the hook.

The hookshot range is across everyone's viewing widths, given how the game is now. If the 21:9 were to be supported, or the HUD were to become minimalistic, it would make a huge difference in how the game would be played, and how the player would have to operate the controls to perceive the world around them.

I would love to see some kind of minimalist HUD option in the future, but I think the game needs to be changed to allow for that and still keep effectiveness of certain skills in the game.

One more example of this: PA's blur. Say for some reason you are farming in the jungle next to the lane she is on, you aren't in range to cancel blur, but just by sitting there farming one of the camps, you can see both yourself and her on your screen, without seeing her icon on the minimap. This definitely diminishes the effect of blur, as you have to shift your camera to look at her if no one on your team is already near her.

Is dota fucked? What the hell is going on, I've had 4 or 5 games in a row fail to load.

I see this happen sometimes. Occasionally I still get the problem of my game just crashing when trying to load into a game. I restart, come back in and it's usually fine after that, but if it happens it's usually the first game I play each day.

Hylian7

With today’s update, we’ve enabled Ranked Matchmaking in the Dota 2 Reborn beta. You can now complete Compendium Challenges as well, and doing so in the Reborn beta gives you 50% more coins

more coins? REBORN TIME

Is it really that stable to play in ranked now? If it is I might play more matches there now rather than regular client. I just don't want things like the Naga illusion item duplication bug to occur in ranked games, but I haven't heard of anything major like that in Reborn lately, so I don't think I have to worry too much on that front.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
So, while Rocket League being AstroTurfed is still inconclusive (I'm telling you guys! Stop having Fun!), can we agree that Polybridge is in fact attrotuffing the reddit? Just looks at these accounts:

You have the account that has barely posted in 3 years: https://www.reddit.com/user/prace/submitted/
The account that is 5 days old: https://www.reddit.com/user/Wright_Meow/
The account that stopped posting for a year: https://www.reddit.com/user/SamNxGn/submitted/

Yep, these are surely are totally normal reddit users posting about the revolutionary bridge building game.

bounchfx

You were not kidding, woooooow

This show gets more real than it has any right to be.

yeah that's the thing that impresses me the most, they feel like believable situations in how people behave and interact with each other, plus it's just interesting in general, and there's a lot of messages they throw around that are genuinely thought provoking. never expected that from a show starring a fucking horse.

Chris R

So, while Rocket League being AstroTurfed is still inconclusive (I'm telling you guys! Stop having Fun!), can we agree that Polybridge is in fact attrotuffing the reddit? Just looks at these accounts:

You have the account that has barely posted in 3 years: https://www.reddit.com/user/prace/submitted/
The account that is 5 days old: https://www.reddit.com/user/Wright_Meow/
The account that stopped posting for a year: https://www.reddit.com/user/SamNxGn/submitted/

Yep, these are surely are totally normal reddit users posting about the revolutionary bridge building game.

Meh, without them spamming reddit I wouldn't have known about the game and wouldn't want to buy it as soon as it leaves Early Access.

edit: Also, YAY TI5 tickets!

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
You know one thing I noticed over the years, people don't seem to realize why Alpine Ursa was actually taken down. It wasn't because it was "Lore Breaking", it was that it had mostly negative votes and got in anyway, basically saying peoples opinions didn't matter.

Sianos

re: talk of espn dota and mainstream media coverage of ti 5

i hope they have real casters who understand the rules of the game and don't use inhouse sportscasters who have a very tenuous grasp of the sport...

because the espn2 casting of the pan am games (taekwondo) is prrrretty bad
dac15_water.gif

Hylian7

You know one thing I noticed over the years, people don't seem to realize why Alpine Ursa was actually taken down. It wasn't because it was "Lore Breaking", it was that it had mostly negative votes and got in anyway, basically saying peoples opinions didn't matter.

Pretty sure for other sets in the past sometimes it is still "Valve's Choice" for a few.

Can't even turn the music off in reborn client
facepalm.gif

Also it feels like the game suffers from mini- stuttering at all times, i'm not sure if this is related to my internet connection or not but this didn't happen at all in any of my custom games.

Top Bottom