• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT13| 6.86, our Pit Lord and savior

Status
Not open for further replies.
SW7DTRw.png

I'm posting this cause apparently everybody else is.

SW7DTRw.png

Drama intensifies.

Shit like this is just unnecessary and potentially harmful to the people involved. I wish she didn't crave for attention at the expense of other people. There is a 95% chance Reddit will blame EE for 2GD's dismissal until either 2GD debunks it tomorrow or until EE offers an own statement in which he predictably states that he never advocated 2GD getting kicked and that is was Valve's decision.

Wok

Shit like this is just unnecessary and potentially harmful to the people involved. I wish she didn't crave for attention at the expense of other people. There is a 95% chance Reddit will blame EE for 2GD's dismissal until either 2GD debunks it tomorrow or until EE offers an own statement in which he predictably states that he never advocated 2GD getting kicked and that is was Valve's decision.

In this case, maybe the case would be settled and all would be fine.

Quesa

(Quote to see link to form)

Signups are open for the DotaGAF Street Fighter V tournament. IIRC we had about 14 people signed up, so I'd like to get 16. I would like to get 16 or more people signed up so I can focus on being an admin/streaming it. Should be mostly DotaGAF (if you've posted here before) but I'm not being too strict on that unless we get a ton of people.

We've got people with all kinds of experience, so don't be afraid to sign up! We will probably start sometime after the March update, when servers are stable and we can accommodate people in eight-player lobbies.

For new new page!

Tek, DV, where you at

siractionslacks told me that said basically hylian7 complained about James to some people at Perfect World and perfect world told Valve ... etc

I
Reddit, I don't know. But Valve... I agree with Maek on that:

iTG5QJa.png

I'll believe it when I see it. I can't imagine them feeling the need or compulsion to bring someone back that they fired in the middle of a fucking event. Why would they? He's not fuckin special. There is no shorting of entertainment or otherwise color commentary providers that they can bring in now or in the future.

I wouldn't be surprised if this was his last official valve-sponsored event. In fact, I'd expect that it is. Peace.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
iTG5QJa.png

I'll believe it when I see it. I can't imagine them feeling the need or compulsion to bring someone back that they fired in the middle of a fucking event. Why would they? He's not fuckin special. There is no shorting of entertainment or otherwise color commentary providers that they can bring in now or in the future.
Peace.

ehhhhhhh

No dota panel is quite as entertaining as a yames panel (old dreamleague with bruno + james was the best man), and I don't know if that's a testament to 2gd or the complete lack of talent in the dota scene. Sure you got redeye and chobra for "professional" hosts (lel), but when I load up one of those panels it's like the entire segment was churned out in front of a green screen, fresh from the factory and straight to dvd peppered with some flat jokes, garbage analysis, fake ass hype (nahaz im lookin at ur ass), and redundant "team X is great, team Y is good, game is good! yay dota!"

I wouldn't be surprised if this was his last official valve-sponsored event. In fact, I'd expect that it is. Peace.

drag it

we've had plenty of tournies hosted without him before, he's hardly a pillar of the casting commentariat

they need NEW BLOOD anyway

if they fired icon winteR I would legit Riot though

But you wouldn't be surprised either. Because again, who gets fired in the middle of an event (probably a long time coming, this wouldn't be the first complaint leveled against him) and expects to get re-hired for the next event? or at any other point in the future?

But maybe that's not how any of this stuff went down. I assume we'll find out tomorrow or whenever an official statement is tendered.

no dota panel is quite as entertaining as a yames panel (old dreamleague with bruno + james was the best man), and I don't know if that's a testament to 2gd or the complete lack of talent in the dota scene. Sure you got redeye and chobra for "professional" hosts (lel), but when I load up one of those panels it's like the entire segment was churned out in a straight to dvd factory with flat jokes, garbage analysis, and redundant "team X is great, team Y is good, game is good! yay dota!"

Whatever excites you of course as far as entertainment goes, but people don't get fired for singular complaints. That shit is most likely based on a trend that Valve is tired of. Other teams have complained about him ragging on them. EE may simply have been the last and final straw needed for Valve to say, "you know what? happy trails 2GD." We'll see but I would not be surprised at all if this was his last. I'm sure we'll see him at WCA, Summit and the other lower-tier events.

Wok

iTG5QJa.png

Technically, he was not officially fired. He said he "was let go". It could mean for the day. I would not be surprised if things settled after an apology and a tone down.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
The other guy that I like aside from James is fckingmad, that guy knows what he's talking about and doesn't have to spend 10 minutes spewing memorized garbage, but his analysis is spot on and his insight into professional play and the teams is often refreshing and accurate.

Whatever excites you of course as far as entertainment goes, but people don't get fired for singular complaints. That shit is most likely based on a trend that Valve is tired of. We'll see but I would not be surprised at all if this was his last.

O i wouldn't be surprised if it's his last it probably is, I'm just lamenting that fact lol. I'm sad that we're probably going to just get the same manufactured residentsleeper garbage every single major, every 3 months--severely lacking in accurate analysis, honest player critiques, and hilarious or bizarre stories and commentary to keep everyone entertained in between the hours of dota.'

It's also surprising to me considering how Valve has always hired James in the past knowing who he was and what they were getting (and apparently told him to 'be yourself' at this tourney as well and anyone telling yames to be himself knows exactly what the fuck they are getting themselves into), and the lead dev on dota has said in multiple interviews that he (Valve) is a huge fan of James, and that's why they nabbed him for multiple TI's. This whole major is quite puzzling.

Wok

The other guy that I like aside from James is fckingmad, that guy knows what he's talking about and doesn't have to spend 10 minutes spewing memorized garbage, but his analysis is spot on and his insight into professional play and the teams is often refreshing and accurate.

Plus he is French.

Technically, he was not officially fired. He said he "was let go". It could mean for the day. I would not be surprised if things settled after an apology and a tone down.

Could be. We'll see soon enough. Is Valve in the business of treating grown ass adults like toddlers and giving them time outs to correct problem behaviors? It's possible enough. Official statement tomorrow/later tonight?

woodland

95% of dota casting is absolute garbage

5% is james and a few others

thanks for listening to this driveby

ps sheever is even more garbage

Wok

Could be. We'll see soon enough. Is Valve in the business of treating grown ass adults like toddlers and giving them time outs to correct problem behaviors? It's possible enough. Official statement tomorrow/later tonight?

James' statement is written but he wants to proof-read it after some sleep.

James' statement is written but he wants to proof-read it after some sleep.

Nice. Hopefully it's a big misunderstanding because as has been stated, he's one of the only entertaining personalities on their roster of casters. But some of his antics and entertainment has come at the expense of individual players and teams which has not been well received by said recipients.

kionedrik

Nice. Hopefully it's a big misunderstanding because as has been stated, he's one of the only entertaining personalities on their roster of casters. But some of his antics and entertainment has come at the expense of individual players and teams which has not been well received by said recipients.

Let's assume it happened because of something he said regarding one of the players.

Can you imagine if this would happen with a real sport show host on tv that said something on the lines of "he isn't having a good day and in fact he has been a liability for the team this past X weeks". Is it acceptable at all?

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
Let's assume it happened because of something he said regarding one of the players.

Can you imagine if this would happen with a real sport show host on tv that said something on the lines of "he isn't having a good day and in fact he has been a liability for the team this past X weeks". Is it acceptable at all?

just take the nahaz route:
shiki is the best young mid player ive seen man this guy
sumail man what can you say the best young mid player ive seen man
cty oh my god this guy he is genuinely one of the best if not the best young mid player ive seen
let me tell you no one is better than *insert X player here*

Whether it's relevant to james's firing or not i think there is this unspoken fear among most of the casters of calling out pro's (when it's appropriate), perhaps a justified fear as people then jump on them and their credentials (mmr, knowledge, etc...). But you absolutely need some honest, and sometimes brutal critiques of players in sports (which is already the case and standard fare in professional sports) and now 'esports.'

Wok

To be fair, I hear that about soccer players underperforming or slacking during training.

Hmm. Good question.

Charles Barkley says shit like that every week on TNT when talking about the NBA, its officials, commissioner, owners and players. It's part of what makes his shtick entertaining. BUT..... Sir Charles isn't a paid NBA staffer (he's on TNT's payroll) and I'd imagine the things he says as a TNT broadcaster are things he'd never say if he was in the NBA's employ.

So I suppose the answer to your question would be: Probably not, no. But it really depends on what Valve has told him as far as how he carries himself and handles his business as a professional. I understand he mentioned that they told him to "be himself"; I'm not sure if that was misconstrued by him as a licence to be an unmitigated dickhead which is how some felt he was acting towards EE as an individual and other teams more broadly.

Seems we'll all find out in short order. Worst case scenario for him is he's still in the scene and doing lots of events that are not Valve's "Majors". There are still a decent number of those.

My gut says this will turn out to be Diretide 2 and he'll come back. Whether he'll be in full James Harding mode when he comes back remains to be seen.
Charles Barkley says shit like that every week on TNT when talking about the NBA, its officials, commissioner, owners and players. It's part of what makes his schick entertaining. BUT..... Sir Charles isn't a paid NBA staffer (he's on TNT's payroll) and I'd imagine the things he says as a TNT broadcaster are things he'd never say if he was in the NBA's employ.
He would be in a turrible amount of trouble.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom