• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT13| 6.86, our Pit Lord and savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
Yeah but its like why even take the chance, the whole reason people like him is because of his personality

This, pretty much. It's very clear Gabe doesn't like James' style at all, but it's funny to me that he'd get the greenlight again only to be sacked halfway through. You hire James to be James and crack jokes and hit people with biting insults; you don't hire him to be redeye or chobra, that's what you hire redeye or chobra for.

He's hosted dreamleague, three TI's and a myriad of other events (for other games) with the same exact style, tone, and attitude (on screen).

Deadly

I wonder who they're going to get for production now? Just the BTS/JD crew? I thought Nanyang was rather well received, it's crazy how KeyTV fucked up so bad now.

sephi22

For me the worst part isn't that he got fired, it's that this pretty much kills his Dota 2 casting career, because most people who do it do it in the hopes of getting invited to TIs and such. Not that James was a full time or even a part time caster over the last year.

If this were any other community, James would start a gofundme/patreon and make some sympathy cash that way, but I don't think that's going to happen here or if James would even consider that.

kionedrik

This, pretty much. It's very clear Gabe doesn't like James' style at all, but it's funny to me that he'd get the greenlight again only to be sacked halfway through. You hire James to be James and crack jokes and hit people with biting insults; you don't hire him to be redeye or chobra, that's what you hire redeye or chobra for.

exactly. you get what you payed for.
in the end it seems like they wanted one excuse to end the voices that vouched for him permanently and this public assassination was the way to do it.

Madouu

For me the worst part isn't that he got fired, it's that this pretty much kills his Dota 2 casting career, because most people who do it do it in the hopes of getting invited to TIs and such. Not that James was a full time or even a part time caster over the last year.

If this were any other community, James would start a gofundme/patreon and make some sympathy cash that way, but I don't think that's going to happen here or if James would even consider that.

I'm sure he will be fine.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
exactly. you get what you payed for.
in the end it seems like they wanted one excuse to end the voices that vouched for him permanently and this public assassination was the way to do it.

Yep. They should never have hired him in the first place, because it's clear that's absolutely not the style of hosting they wanted for the major. It was a breath of fresh air for me, and I absolutely love James' style, too bad. At least we did get a day and a half of great banter m8.

he'll be aight, he has a ton of fans and the dude is genuinely funny, he's been casting/hosting for a variety of different games for many years

apparently his parents are rich and the gd studio made him cash money too, so he'll be aight, but yeah, sucks that this is it for yames in dota though

sephi22

For those talking about James' style, he was more 'savage' this time around - dropping cunt 10 seconds into the first day's opening, calling EE a con for any team he's on and saying any team with EE will never win, insinuating EE is mentally disabled, etc. It seems like he wanted to pander and milk the nostalgia from reddit who were waxing poetic when he was announced as host. He did cross the line this time, especially considering his reputation was hanging on a string.

DrPizza

Banned
Pretty smart way of bringing the community back on side, tbh.

So many people saying essentially "the production is terrible, 2gd was the only thing making it worthwhile, without 2gd we won't watch this terrible show", so what does GabeN do? "Yes, 2gd is gone, but so is the awful production company too".

I don't even follow Dota 2 all that much, but holy shit at that reddit post rofl.

Seriously man. When Gabe HIMSELF descends from the heavens, calls you an asshole, and returns to Mt. Olympus...there really isn't anything left to do but sort of just die.

The nuking was so complete that James/Yames/whateverthefuck he will shortly have a meme that will long outlast his casting career.

Sibylus

Banned
It's a web comic of course it's garbage.

For those who can't see it:

zAPNIOy.png

Like I said, he'll never cover another Valve-sponsored event again.

As expected. You guys can continue to be surprised if you want, but the shit is *exactly* what I thought it was. Yames can save his breath; we don't even need a response anymore. When Gabe himself feels compelled to emerge from his throne room and speak, you KNOW you fucked up.
Yup. Anyone with eyeballs knew this was liable to because of him shitting on people again.

Russ T

Banned
After TI...4, was it? He said he wasn't going to do TI again. At the time it was framed like it was his decision. Now... I'm doubting that. And by doubting I mean I'm calling bullshit.

Oh wellllllll.

Bye James. You were a fun caster. Shame you're apparently a reprehensible human being. I mean, you gotta be, to get motherfuckin' Gabe to spit some shit.

G.ZZZ

#racistsareokbutnotcausticpeople

White people striking again. Seemsgood

Bruno and yames were the best host dota ever had. We lost both to Valve , it seems.

Russ T

Banned
Yeah I do wish Tobi would get the boot, too. Man, fuck Tobi.

FWIW, one comment accuses James of saying some homophobic shit (and how can I not believe it, 99% of people who play Dota are homophobic shits), so it's not like he's completely innocent when it comes to bigotry.

Like you say, though, he's not even casting much these days anyways and doesn't even show much interest in it. I'm sure he'll still organize dreamleague behind the scenes like he has the past few seasons.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
Bruno and yames were the best host dota ever had. We lost both to Valve , it seems.

by far, ass or no ass, james was by far the best (most entertaining?) dota 2 host (in my eyes) and he was genuinely motherfkn hilarious (redeye's jokes are just flat man), it's a damn shame

Yeah I do wish Tobi would get the boot, too. Man, fuck Tobi.

FWIW, one comment accuses James of saying some homophobic shit (and how can I not believe it, 99% of people who play Dota are homophobic shits), so it's not like he's completely innocent when it comes to bigotry.

lol now you're just digging for reasons to hate the man, 2gd is an ass anyone could have told you that from the billion of vids on youtube about him (didn't need gabe for that), but you hire him to be an ass/clown which is why this is baffling (why did valve hire him in the first place?).

no need to chase after more reasons, "well i think he might have said something homophobic and like he says cunt a lot and but well lemme search youtube for any potentially borderline racist comments!!!"

Shinypogs

The best statement.

Edit. I love how the reddit thread is full of people asking MLG to fire Thorin and RLewis from the CSGO event lmao

Even Sunsfan has thoughts about them being acceptable and James not being so. ( from the reddit thread)
If James is an ass, I can only imagine what Richard Lewis and Thorin are :O

The reaction of the other personalities is going to be very telling if James seriously overstepped here or if Valve is getting heavy handed and he was unfairly let go.

I've both greatly enjoyed James over the years in dota 2 and sc2 and also had moments where I tuned out of streams he was on because he said or did things I wasn't interested in potentially seeing more of. I can totally believe he did something unacceptable off camera but nothing I was watching these past couple days would have made me go "ahh yes this man he needs to go right now. If we continue to give him airtime it will ruin our event. "

edit: Wait did he legit makes comments on EE's mental state/ make serious negative comments towards being with mental illness?

In non drama news I can't wait to see how pubs get affected by the emerging tournament meta. It's always kinda interesting if also a bit annoying.

gai_shain

I mean no one knows how james behaves off camera, its possible that he just crossed too many lines on and off air.

Well its not a loss for me anyway since I think a host that doesnt even bother to get the most basic information before an event he/she hosts isnt worth much anyway.

For those talking about James' style, he was more 'savage' this time around - dropping cunt 10 seconds into the first day's opening, calling EE a con for any team he's on and saying any team with EE will never win, insinuating EE is mentally disabled, etc. It seems like he wanted to pander and milk the nostalgia from reddit who were waxing poetic when he was announced as host. He did cross the line this time, especially considering his reputation was hanging on a string.

Considering he was on air basically bragging about not watching DotA2 I don't think he really cares too much about his DotA2 casting career.

Russ T

Banned
lol now you're just digging for reasons to hate the man, 2gd is an ass anyone could have told you that from the billion of vids on youtube about him (didn't need gabe too), but you hire him to be an ass/clown which is why this is baffling (why hire him in the first place?)

no need to chase after more reasons, "well i think he might have said something homophobic and like he says cunt a lot and but well lemme search youtube for any potentially borderline racist comments!!!"

Eh?

Come again?

Son, you don't know me, don't pretend like you know what I'm thinking.

I like James' casting a lot. I will genuinely miss it. Doesn't mean I'm gonna assume he's some perfect human being behind the scenes. Sorry I'm not about to apologize for someone being a fucking shit. Maybe you can tolerate bigotry, but that's on you.

And Gabe pretty well spelled out why they hired (and fired) him. Not sure what's so hard to understand, yo.

Oh, well, shit. That's fucked. Sounds like he wanted out tbh, if he's just gonna reveal some inner shit like that.

kionedrik

I don't know whats worse, the fact that everyone is looking the other way in regards to Valve fucking up in every possible front with this major or the fact that everyone is oblivious to Valve's diversion tactics.

But we got a post from Gabe, who the fuck can think about any of that when the GOD himself has spoken.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
Eh?

Come again?

Son, you don't know me, don't pretend like you know what I'm thinking.

I like James' casting a lot. I will genuinely miss it. Doesn't mean I'm gonna assume he's some perfect human being behind the scenes. Sorry I'm not about to apologize for someone being a fucking shit. Maybe you can tolerate bigotry, but that's on you.

And Gabe pretty well spelled out why they hired (and fired) him. Not sure what's so hard to understand, yo.

i know you my man twig ;)

I'm not tolerating anyone being a bigot, but the fact that people are now searching for 'bigot' James moments is absurd and hilarious. He's a gigantic ass and has been since the day he started in esports (that's his entire appeal hence the it's baffling they hired him and then apparently told him not to be himself), but he was never as overtly racist (or as prejudiced) as Toby was, there's no reason to link the two or go after him on those grounds.

He has always publicly insulted EE for probably two years straight now (but really, who hasn't?), and come on, cunt? I'm sure he's dropped cunt in multiple broadcasts before, hell wasn't there a whole gaf fiasco on how cunt can be appropriately used here and there ;). British people things, idk? Two or three years ago he straight up told n0tail that his sand king was shit and if he was aware on how to play the hero, smack in the middle of TI in a live broadcast, and it was a goddam hilarious moment.

gai_shain

I don't know whats worse, the fact that everyone is looking the other way in regards to Valve fucking up in every possible front with this major or the fact that everyone is oblivious to Valve's diversion tactics.

But we got a post from Gabe, who the fuck can think about any of that when the GOD himself has spoken.

The post he made also points out that they are going to fire the production company and try to get that fixed before the main event.

Russ T

Banned

He did specifically call out that the production team is fired, too. They're working to fix it Right Now. Well, maybe not right this moment, but he did say they're doing their best to make sure it's better.

Not sure what more you want??

i know you my man twig ;)

I'm not tolerating anyone being a bigot, but the fact that people are now searching for 'bigot' James moments is absurd and hilarious. He's a gigantic ass and has been since the day he started in esports (that's his entire appeal hence the it's baffling they hired him and then apparently told him not to be himself), but he was never as overtly racist (or as prejudiced) as Toby was, there's no reason to link the two or go after him on those grounds.

Do you even know Twig, though?!

Yeah I get that he is a fun caster because he's an ass. I like that part of him! I'm being completely serious about this. He is among my top favorite casters. But precisely because he's an ass, I can absolutely believe he's even more of an ass off camera. Maybe he didn't actually say anything homophobic like that comment alleged, but it really doesn't matter to me whether or not he did. What he did say on air can be proved, no? You can't just call someone mentally disabled and expect that to be okay. It's not funny, just like that kid Auteezy's name wasn't funny. It's mean-spirited as fuck and shouldn't have a place in casting, or even in Dota in general.

I'm betting that's not even the reason he was fired, though. Or at least not the only reason. Maybe it contributed, but the way Gabe talks about it, it absolutely sounds like James was an ass behind the scenes, not just in front of the camera. Otherwise, like you say, why hire him when you know he's going to be an ass on camera?

sephi22

Considering he was on air basically bragging about not watching DotA2 I don't think he really cares too much about his DotA2 casting career.
The reason he hasn't been watching Dota is probably that he was working on making his own game (Its a Quake-like IIRC).
Maybe he was out for good. Maybe this was his backup that he kept in his pocket in case he couldn't make it as a dev. Either way, doesn't matter because he blew his final chance

Chris R

I thought Valve was hands off, letting PW do basically whatever they wanted? Then Valve saw how shit things were and stepped in, firing James and replacing the production company? I expect things to be better by the time the playoffs roll around, diversion or not.

kionedrik

The post he made also points out that they are going to fire the production company and try to get that fixed before the main event.

Which is the main evidence they fucked up in the first place. Probably they didn't even bother to check how things were going before everything was set to start. You can delegate a job to someone else but at the end of the day you are responsible for whatever they do under your supervision.

I thought Valve was off hands, letting PW do basically whatever they wanted? Then Valve saw how shit things were and stepped in, firing James and replacing the production company? I expect things to be better by the time the playoffs roll around, diversion or not.

they're just supervising which makes people shitting on valve pretty funny

Which is the main evidence they fucked up in the first place. Probably they didn't even bother to check how things were going before everything was set to start. You can delegate a job to someone else but at the end of the day you are responsible for whatever they do under your supervision.
Okay, but everyone has already complained a ton about how Valve fucked this event up, I'm not sure what you want from them, an apology? They're trying to fix their fuckup and that's all you can ask for at this point in time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom