• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT13| 6.86, our Pit Lord and savior

Status
Not open for further replies.
does armor in dark souls even do anything ? feels like you take the same amount of damage being naked or with the heaviest shit you can find
only poise seems to do anything at all

It is part of the appeal and the reason spectators listen to these commentators.

The average football analyst and commentator is like 15-35 years older than the average Dota 2 personality. Being overly harsh and/or disrespectful towards a player is a less frequent occurence among these folks. I can't say for certain why that is but slamming a teenager or an early 20s player just seems counterproductive and can possibly distress the person in question more than one assumes and I think you get a better sensibility about that with age. That is one possibilty.

I know I would feel terrible getting called a liability in front of hundreds of thousands.

Madouu

There's a big difference between being a journalist, commentator, analyst, third party host and the official host of an event.

There's a big difference between being a journalist, commentator, analyst, third party host and the official host of an event.

I'm not sure why you think this is the case. It makes absolutely zero difference for EternalEnvy who of these people utters a disrespectful comment about him.

Obviously, whether or not the story of him complaining about James is true remains to be seen but as Kiondrick (sp?) pointed out, he was overly harsh. As a public (e)sports personality your performances are always subject to critique, that much is true and athletes get good financial compensation for the shit the have to endure from people but I do not find it an outrageous request to remain civil when criticizing.

Vade

1cBNskm.jpg

Sibylus

Banned
Tobi hardly lacks confidence, does he? I agree with Liquid (I think it was him?) that it's unfathomable how hard it is for some people to just refrain from spouting that racist, homophobic, sexist or whatever hateful thought they got on their mind. There is no excuse really.
Yup. That his toxic ass hasn't been replaced immediately, let alone after all this time, speaks to just how shallow our casting talent pool has largely remained
tears.gif

Really hoping these new casters getting their feet wet will make for some depth.

shira

Valve statement: https://redd.it/47sc46

Two things:
1) James. We've had issues with James at previous events. Some Valve people lobbied to bring him back for Shanghai, feeling that he deserved another chance. That was a mistake. James is an ass, and we won't be working with him again.
2) As long as we're firing people, we are also firing the production company that we've been working with on the Shanghai Major. They will be replaced, and we hope to get this turned around before the main event.
As always, I can be reached at gaben@valvesoftware.com.
Gabe

*Expect major delays and technical issues - add 2-3 hours to each timer*

GSL Group C (Bo3)
t1456534800z1.png

Simultaneously:
OG
GDFM2cv.png
vs
wwAQ5DT.png
Archon
LGD
WRtaz7y.png
vs
M9Cbhsc.png
Newbee

Group A Loser's Match (Bo3)
t1456547400z1.png

Loser 1 vs Loser 2

Group A Qualification #1(Bo3)
t1456560000z1.png

Winner 1 vs Winner 2

Group A Qualification #2 (Bo3)
t1456572600z1.png

Winner of Loser's Match vs Loser of Qualification #1

NNpoMbR.png

Oh my God, that looks like the fakest post I've ever seen but it's actually real. Amazing end(beginning?) to the drama

Glad he also addressed the horrific production.

kionedrik

Valve: The art of speaking and saying nothing at all.

That statement doesn't offer anything new and doesn't provide the answer to what everyone has been asking: what did he do?

KingKong

That statement doesn't offer anything new and doesn't provide the answer to what everyone has been asking: what did he do?

He was an ass, seems pretty clear to me. Dunno why youd hire a (loveable) ass on the vague thought that things would be different though

Its still probably EEs fault

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
wow lord gaben himself (must have been swamped with emails), will be interesting to see james' statement and his side of the story

but yeah this makes it seem like it's related to his jokes/attacks on some players and personalities which i had hoped wasn't the case (every scene needs a james to keep the people in it honest)

He's an ass. It'd be wrong for Valve to list out their specific grievances for firing someone.

Chris R

He was an ass, seems pretty clear to me. Dunno why youd hire a (loveable) ass on the vague thought that things would be different though

Its still probably EEs fault

I would assume that Valve told him he could be himself, just to reign it in a little bit. He didn't and was let go.

Doing it mid-day was probably a bad move on Valve's part but whatever, it's done, time to move on.

Hopefully whatever production changes are made are for the better.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Oh god, thats too good. James is an Ass, fired. Production crew suck, fired. Has Donald Trump hacked Gabe's reddit account?

For those who can't see it:

zAPNIOy.png

Like I said, he'll never cover another Valve-sponsored event again.

As expected. You guys can continue to be surprised if you want, but the shit is *exactly* what I thought it was. Yames can save his breath; we don't even need a response anymore. When Gabe himself feels compelled to emerge from his throne room and speak, you KNOW you fucked up.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
For those who can't see it:

zAPNIOy.png

Like I said, he'll never cover another sponsored event again.

As expected. You guys can continue to be surprised if you want, but the shit is *exactly* what I thought it was. Yames can save his breath; we don't even need a response anymore. When Gabe himself feels compelled to emerge from his throne room and speak, you KNOW you fucked up.

I still wonder if he got fired for what he said on the air, or if he did even worst shit off screen.

While James is indeed an ass and the production company is indeed terrible I'm wondering who told James to "be himself".

Also: guess I was quite wrong about Diretide 2. My bad DV.

He has no obligation to mention what he did exactly, they probably didn't like anything James did.

Also he mentioned that the production people were going to be replaced, that is something.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut

i don't think it was surprising at all to anyone that he wouldn't be hosting for valve, they did terminate him in the middle of the day after all

i think people were surprised that he was terminated in the first place and saddened that it happened (he has a lot of fans in case a billion threads on r/all hasn't made that clear enough lol), and also very interested in the "why"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom