• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT13| 6.86, our Pit Lord and savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
Dota is watched by millions of people and is clearly one of Valves most important properties next to CSGO

While I think it was a dick move to fire James IN THE MIDDLE OF THE DAY, I can respect their decision to want to keep their premier tournament family friendly and professional

Not everyone who watches the game is a 25 year old meme loving Redditor, so only catering to that demographic is very short sighted from Valves side

Hopefully this while shitstorm has shown them that they need to be more hands on and careful with their choices.

yes and the golden globes hiring the boorish ricky gervais and his blend of bawdy humor to host year after year is to keep attracting those nasty ass meme-spewing 25 year old juveniles

im pretty sick of this elitist mindset that if you enjoy james' banter you're somehow a child. it's an absolutely stupid and obviously false deflection, and the equivalent of claiming anyone who enjoys nahaz is a senile senior citizen. plenty of people enjoy a more light-hearted and somewhat crass hosting style across many different spectrum's of entertainment, showbizz, or whatever else have you; if you don't, good for you--everyone has different tastes

you can dislike james, attack his attitude or style, or whatever the hell you want, but let's dispense with this straight up elitist and petty (and ironically childish) attitude of "LEL ur all children if u like this LEL, but me, me im a MAN with more suitable taste"

Twookie

who is hosting now? kotl?
crazy.gif

yes and the golden globes hiring ricky gervais year after year is to keep attracting those nasty ass meme-spewing 25 year old juveniles

im pretty sick of this elitist mindset that if you enjoy james' banter your somehow a child, it's an absolutely stupid and obviously false deflection, and the equivalent of claiming anyone who enjoys nahaz is a senile senior citizen. plenty of people enjoy a more light-hearted and somewhat crass hosting style across many different spectrums of entertainment, showbizz, or whatever else have you; if you don't, good for you--everyone has different tastes

you can dislike james, attack his attitude or style, or whatever the hell you want, but let's dispense with this straight up elitist and petty (and ironically childish) attitude of "LEL ur all children if u like this LEL, but me, me im a MAN with more suitable taste"

agreed, so much elitism here.

shira

◕_◕ ༽つ GIFF 2GD つ ◕_◕ ༽つつ ◕_◕ ༽つ GIFF 2GD つ ◕_◕ ༽つつ ◕_◕ ༽つ GIFF 2GD つ ◕_◕ ༽つつ ◕_◕ ༽つ GIFF 2GD つ ◕_◕ ༽つつ ◕_◕ ༽つ GIFF 2GD つ ◕_◕ ༽つつ ◕_◕ ༽つ GIFF 2GD つ ◕_◕ ༽つつ ◕_◕ ༽つ GIFF 2GD つ ◕_◕ ༽つつ ◕_◕ ༽つ

Who are these dumbasses that are still spamming this in twitch?

D

Deleted member 77995

Unconfirmed Member
Looking through my old post history from a few years ago and Dreams told me not to build BF on jugg.

WOW I was such a visionary.

Hylian7

Looking through my old post history from a few years ago and Dreams told me not to build BF on jugg.

WOW I was such a visionary.
It used to be a thing before then actually. The BF Jugg is sort of a return to that era 4-5 years ago where it was a thing.

Jugg has been through a lot of different builds over the years. Off the top of my head there was the BF build, that era when Aghs was really good (still maxing Blade Fury first), then that patch event where everyone got MoM and maxed Blade Dance first.

D

Deleted member 77995

Unconfirmed Member
the game changed over a few years too

i know m8.

Had a pretty good slark game earlier today. Mexican standoff at mid for 10 minutes so I just farmed and pushed out lanes. Ended the game really strong and highest level. Starting to tread switch for dark pact and all. Feeling really good on the hero.

_____

Enemy team was Wraith and Omni, almost bought diffusal over skadi to deal with those two but wraith king found out what mana leak does tonight so I skipped out on it.

TUSR

Banned
i know m8.

Had a pretty good slark game earlier today. Mexican standoff at mid for 10 minutes so I just farmed and pushed out lanes. Ended the game really strong and highest level. Starting to tread switch for dark pact and all. Feeling really good on the hero.

_____

Enemy team was Wraith and Omni, almost bought diffusal over skadi to deal with those two but wraith king found out what mana leak does tonight so I skipped out on it.
nice dude

drop me an inv some time if you need a break from Solo life

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Since I had them as the "least heroes used" I am OK with that.

Archon has actually picked 18 heroes across their games so far. I predicted Complexity, since to me they seem very conservative in their picks, and I think they will also get knocked out in the first round.

Wok

When you think about it, if Bruno had not lobbied to get James to host the Shanghai Major, then things would have turned better for James in the end. Sometimes asking for a second chance for a friend might turn against this very friend.

What can you do with your work life once you have been publicly shamed by one of the richest guys on Earth, who happens to be the CEO of one of the most powerful companies in the industry that you are working in? James can apply to GOG now.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
When you think about it, if Bruno had not lobbied to get James to host the Shanghai Major, then things would have turned better for James in the end. Sometimes asking for a second chance for a friend might turn against this very friend.

What can you do with your work life once you have been publicly shamed by one of the richest guys on Earth, who happens to be the CEO of one of the most powerful companies in the industry that you are working in? James can apply to GOG now.

Bruno lobbied for James to host TI5, not Shanghai. He says in his "tell all" that Bruno basically recused himself from any involvement in the decision to hire 2gd for Shanghai because he knew he was biased; that decision had to come straight from traditional Valve.

I finished reading James' post and it seems like there were just misunderstandings everywhere, and variety of unspoken expectations--understandable when you got the higher ups hitting your friend with back and forth last minute complaints electronically, cross-ocean; that just flat out sucks. Communication definitely isn't Valve's strong suit, so I'm inclined to trust Yames in this regard. Half the jokes he cracks are inside jokes sometimes slung at personal friends for as he outlines, that sole purpose of 'entertainment' (and it's easy to see how someone who doesn't know this would be disgusted--i.e. Gabe at the waga joke).

And to everyone on about "well valve wanted family friendly to reach a wider audience blablabla," I'm just betting that getting rid of 2gd turns off far more viewers than having him on. The insane outcry and backlash on reddit and twitch is credit enough that a significant majority isn't pleased (but silent majority!!!!), and that the panel has lost a lot of it's pazzaz and flair, instead we're back to robots and ESPN. I don't think you'd see the community rally behind just anyone, there's a reason why 2gd is so well liked (not just within the dota community) despite his sometimes abrasive attitude. Hell it should be telling enough with just how depressed and gloomy the current panel is rofl, it's as if they were threatened after watching their buddy get taken out back and shot. Feelsawkwardman.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
probably because no one is watching this major
Its because they spread the format out to 4 days, where at the Frankfurt major they did the same format group stage in 2 days. I think its safe to say most people don't care about half the games because they don't follow the Chinese scene or know how the game will play out.

Not only that, but when there was 2 games going on the entire day, the downtime where nothing was happening was far smaller. One stream goes to a still image, you could swap to the other.

shira

Its because they spread the format out to 4 days, where at the Frankfurt major they did the same format group stage in 2 days. I think its safe to say most people don't care about half the games because they don't follow the Chinese scene or know how the game will play out.

Not only that, but when there was 2 games going on the entire day, the downtime where nothing was happening was far smaller. One stream goes to a still image, you could swap to the other.

Yeah this format leaves way too much downtime. You can't have the analyst desk shooting the shit for half an hour.

They really need to be able to cut these things in a 2 minute recap - then they don't need a full analyst desk.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
yes and the golden globes hiring the boorish ricky gervais and his blend of bawdy humor to host year after year is to keep attracting those nasty ass meme-spewing 25 year old juveniles

im pretty sick of this elitist mindset that if you enjoy james' banter you're somehow a child. it's an absolutely stupid and obviously false deflection, and the equivalent of claiming anyone who enjoys nahaz is a senile senior citizen. plenty of people enjoy a more light-hearted and somewhat crass hosting style across many different spectrum's of entertainment, showbizz, or whatever else have you; if you don't, good for you--everyone has different tastes

Thanks bokr. I'm literally older than James and I'm getting sick of being called a memekid because I like his style.

After reading James' spiel I'm still pissed at Gabe's response to this. It was really out of line and I think it was merely a knee jerk circle-the-wagons move to protect his company's ass and quell the Reddit army and I still feel like he threw James under the bus. Makes me sick about Gabe. Makes me sick about Valve. Makes me sick about Dota 2.

edit: also the thread about this in Gaming is absolute cancer. Bunch of fucking idiots in there making Half Life 3 jokes and snap judging James based on the 2GD in a nutshell video with no regard to Valve's mishandling of this. So add GAF to the list of things this drama makes me sick about.

t0rment

who is hosting now? kotl?
crazy.gif

agreed, so much elitism here.

Does that really surprise anyone? The PC community as whole has the elitism as a way of life, maybe that's why valve employers think they are the best thing to happen to gaming, and Gabe probably thinks he's a modern day messiah

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I'm guessing 2GD was a total Jerk to Alireza (Who apparently is in China), and wouldn't let up, which is what really upset Gabe.

Edit: Oh god, that was great, Miracle single handily stopped LGD's push by just attacking their ancient. This game is getting stupid.

Wok

32ntjuV.png

I have not watched the game, but I guess it is a Slark build without shadow blade, right? GOOD! Blink all day! If you are building Shadow Blade on Slark, you are either despising your opponents, or you don't know the pros and cons of the hero and make a very debatable choice.

I'm guessing 2GD was a total Jerk to Alireza (Who apparently is in China), and wouldn't let up, which is what really upset Gabe.

Edit: Oh god, that was great, Miracle single handily stopped LGD's push by just attacking their ancient. This game is getting stupid.

https://twitter.com/alis_on_twit

Bring the pitchforks!

Just kidding. I am following that guy now.

Shinypogs

blink, Butterfly, MKB, Moonshard and Skadi vs Radiance and Drums, Urn, PB

Does an actually six slotted Spectre beat a six slotted Slark or is Slark a normal counter to her no matter what?

Also I have not seen any Naga games yet ( though I may have missed some) and that makes me really sad. Please give me more Naga, but not boring farm all day push waves with radiance illusion Naga. I want come to fights, great ensnare ganks clutch song timing naga pls.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom