• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT13| 6.86, our Pit Lord and savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Randdalf

Man, that signature deal was scummy as fuck.

I'm not so sure it was scummy per se, I just think it was poorly thought out; it's not like they weren't paying them anything, and I don't think it's obvious how much signatures sales was going to net for each caster. I'm glad they were persuaded to rectify their mistake though.

Omok

Banned
Thanks bokr. I'm literally older than James and I'm getting sick of being called a memekid because I like his style.

After reading James' spiel I'm still pissed at Gabe's response to this. It was really out of line and I think it was merely a knee jerk circle-the-wagons move to protect his company's ass and quell the Reddit army and I still feel like he threw James under the bus. Makes me sick about Gabe. Makes me sick about Valve. Makes me sick about Dota 2.

edit: also the thread about this in Gaming is absolute cancer. Bunch of fucking idiots in there making Half Life 3 jokes and snap judging James based on the 2GD in a nutshell video with no regard to Valve's mishandling of this. So add GAF to the list of things this drama makes me sick about.
You are reacting from a biased statement from James as well as a statement from Gabe who I don't believe has made any negative comment about others till now. I'm sure you are missing a bit from this story.

Pratfall

I'm not so sure it was scummy per se, I just think it was poorly thought out; it's not like they weren't paying them anything, and I don't think it's obvious how much signatures sales was going to net for each caster. I'm glad they were persuaded to rectify their mistake though.

i think it is totally scummy. its like paying waitstaff entirely in tips. it is a zero risk pay structure for valve and that is totally disrespectful to their talent.

mfaex

Man if you don't think that's scummy, apply that payment method to any job you've ever done.

Is the stream down again?

edit: http://www.twitch.tv/dotamajorru for the game.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
w9CMcuW.png
w9CMcuW.png
w9CMcuW.png
w9CMcuW.png
w9CMcuW.png

52club

I was watching a movie the other night that had this quote, You can either do good or you can do well. James seems to have gone to bat for pay and production issues. Others just kept their mouths shut and are doing well. Once you take these stances your colorful jokes are going to be a reason for someone else to do well.

I was watching a movie the other night that had this quote, You can either do good or you can do well. James seems to have gone to bat for pay and production issues. Others just kept their mouths shut and are doing well. Once you take these stances your colorful jokes are going to be a reason for someone else to do well.

that's really deep man.

marrec

Banned
James' manifesto is hilarious, there's like 16 pages of him not addressing what happened and 1 page of him saying nothing we already knew about what happened.

paying talent in signatures seems like such a Valve thing, crowdsourcing something in the most tone-deaf and half-assed way possible.

They probably believed that everyone would've made way more money, but it's just completely out of touch with how DOTA casters actually work. It's like the secret prequel to skyrim mods.

marrec

Banned
Yea Valve probably thought they were doing them a favor and regardless of how much they ended up getting paid it's a bad fucking look on Valves part.

I didn't realise how many people had an axe to grind with James before all this.

Well he is an ass.

1. Gabe's response was juvenile and uninformative. Basically karma bait from a wealthy-as-fuck meme millionaire

2. The whole thing (major, James getting fired, the response, the whatever) is a mess and I'm tired of it

3. Slark fucks on spectre in a 1v1 all things being equal, what sort of amphetamines do you have to be on to think otherwise gaddayum

gai_shain

I didn't realise how many people had an axe to grind with James before all this.

Is it really a surprise to you with the shit he said in the past? Just because people dont bring it up constantly compared to the toby stuff doesnt mean they dont have an opinion on it.

Pratfall

1. Gabe's response was juvenile and uninformative. Basically karma bait from a wealthy-as-fuck meme millionaire

2. The whole thing (major, James getting fired, the response, the whatever) is a mess and I'm tired of it

3. Slark fucks on spectre in a 1v1 all things being equal, what sort of amphetamines do you have to be on to think otherwise gaddayum

u lied to me about nuclear throne. it is worse than isaac.

This post is silly once you realize who said this quote in what show: https://youtu.be/LoE8ZgzaX7A

Sanjay

The thing I don't get is why did Valve not inform James with simple instructions like, from now on can you please make it PG13 safe but then again that includes words like shit, bitch, asshole and a one time fuck? so I guess it should be PG/U or be like Purge.

The communication levels is absolutely absurd and I blame you Americans for this, us British are always evil in your eyes. You just don't understand our ways and culture.

I would love to see Valve give the host to Purge.

When you do that with hosts, and when you do things like that about a man like James Hard... I've kept really quiet but I'll tell you something, Gabe went down in my estimations when he said that. James did not resorted to that.

And I'll tell you, honestly, I will love it if we get Purge. Love it.

pompidu

I really hope they don't over nerf OD next patch, he's fucking useful now and not a POS.

This drama shit is kinda funny. Gabe coming out of the woodwork makes me think there is more to the story.

The thing I don't get is why did Valve not inform James with simple instructions like, from now on can you please make it PG13 safe but then again that includes words like shit, bitch, asshole and a one time fuck? so I guess it should be PG/U or be like Purge.

The communication levels is absolutely absurd and I blame you Americans for this, us British are always evil in your eyes. You just don't understand our ways and culture.

I would love to see Valve give the host to Purge.

When you do that with hosts, and when you do things like that about a man like James Hard... I've kept really quiet but I'll tell you something, Gabe went down in my estimations when he said that. James did not resorted to that.

And I'll tell you, honestly, I will love it if we get Purge. Love it.

because the structure at Valve is "everyone is equal, except Gabe". A lot of people had a lot of different ideas of what DOTA esports looks like, and there was a lot of tolerance for James's antics because he had a lot of supporters in the company (like Bruno) and Gabe wasn't really involved. Once Gabe saw the stream and was like "what is this shit" he shut that shit down.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
I just wonder how many times stupid drama is going to erupt out of Valve before they decide to hire a god damned community manager. The only time we ever hear from anybody at that company is when they are putting out fires.

KingKong

Yikes, maybe James should have had a friend to proofread it so it doesnt sound like an insane screed...maybe take the part about his brothers rape case out

t0rment

because the structure at Valve is "everyone is equal, except Gabe". A lot of people had a lot of different ideas of what DOTA esports looks like, and there was a lot of tolerance for James's antics because he had a lot of supporters in the company (like Bruno) and Gabe wasn't really involved. Once Gabe saw the stream and was like "what is this shit" he shut that shit down.

do you really think that gabe watch dota 2 streams? lmao

i'm pretty sure it was just some guys complaining to him all the time about 2gd, including that ali guy, and since he probably doesn't want to deal with this shit he just fired him, it was the easier thing to do.

JambiBum

Bokr when you have liquid of all people taking your side you gotta know that you're wrong right?

And of course James was incorrect/lying about the payment stuff in his manifesto. It's the same reason he threw in the shit about his family member's rape case. To try and get sympathy from the community and show how great of a guy he actually is by looking out for people when everyone knows that he's just a shit heel who sometimes says funny things.

James was never as crass and obnoxious at the other events he hosted as he was at this major. When icefrog/whomever else said to be yourself I imagine that's what they were going off of.

I'm one of the people that want esports to be taken seriously by the general public so I like more of a professional cast but I can understand why people like to see James because he does a good job of making down time not seem so long. The problem is that he lost any bit of professionalism he had before this time around and took his jokes too far.

52club

This post is silly once you realize who said this quote in what show: https://youtu.be/LoE8ZgzaX7A

LOL, I saw it in a cheesy action movie MI5, with Jon Snow. Anyway it seems like James is an asshole and got a few things done. Not surprised, because it today's business environment it is hard to be an asshole. Even though a lot of times things get better because there is an asshole around.

One other thing is that $12k figure is interesting. That along with the details on the autograph deal really make me think valve should look at the talent that directly communicates with the community. It also makes sense why we don't get better casters and panels sometimes.

No r/Dota whine post will ever beat this CSGO Revolver drama post:
Reddit User said:
Actually i feel really depressed and sad.

When i started playing csgo in august 2014 i never really thought about quiting it. ofc i got mad pretty often during the almost 3000h i've played the game, but i never seriously thought about stopping. i pracced so many hours/days/weeks to get the aim and spraycontroll that i have now, or should i say "had" until yesterday. its not only the totally op revolver that makes me sad, its the change of the ak-spray. when you work so hard to be able to perfectly spray someone down on long-distance, you know that the pracc was not for nothing. i know its just a game, but its my game... the game i used to love, the game i used to enjoy playing with friends... getting better in the game... together, as friends, as a family... it feels like all the good times are gone now. its not csgo anymore. im really sorry to say this, but i think i need to stop now. after 1.5 years of learning, enjoying and loving the ak spraypattern, i feel like there is no space for a new one. csgo devs, for the love of the game, for the love of the community and for the love of millions of players, friends and families, think about what you've done to the game and more important, what you've done to us. and even yourself...

i will go to bed now and maybe, if im really lucky, i will dream about the real csgo... for atleast one last time. </3

ROOOOOFFFFFFLLL

Single worst post in the history of the internet.

sixghost

That was a lot easier than I thought. (Quote to see link to form)

So yeah, signups are open for the DotaGAF Street Fighter V tournament. IIRC we had about 14 people signed up, so I'd like to get 16. I would like to get 16 or more people signed up so I can focus on being an admin/streaming it. Should be mostly DotaGAF (if you've posted here before) but I'm not being too strict on that unless we get a ton of people.

We've got people with all kinds of experience, so don't be afraid to sign up! We will probably start sometime after the March update, when servers are stable and we can accommodate people in eight-player lobbies.

signed up if it's not too late

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Just that pretty much every post you've ever made in this thread has been incorrect. That's all.

So my agreeing with James in this case invalidates the opinion of the dozens of his peers and colleagues that have spoken in his favor? My, what power I hold! If I flip sides, denounce James and place Gaben's pecker in my mouth, does that make you wrong then? That might be worth my time, actually since I don't have any real investment in this drama aside from being bummed at missing out on what would have continued to be a fun panel amidst this garbage bin of a tournament.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom