• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT13| 6.86, our Pit Lord and savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

manfestival

◕_◕ ༽つ GIFF 2GD つ ◕_◕ ༽つつ ◕_◕ ༽つ GIFF 2GD つ ◕_◕ ༽つつ ◕_◕ ༽つ GIFF 2GD つ ◕_◕ ༽つつ ◕_◕ ༽つ GIFF 2GD つ ◕_◕ ༽つつ ◕_◕ ༽つ GIFF 2GD つ ◕_◕ ༽つつ ◕_◕ ༽つ GIFF 2GD つ ◕_◕ ༽つつ ◕_◕ ༽つ GIFF 2GD つ ◕_◕ ༽つつ ◕_◕ ༽つ

shira

◕_◕ ༽つ GIFF 2GD つ ◕_◕ ༽つつ ◕_◕ ༽つ GIFF 2GD つ ◕_◕ ༽つつ ◕_◕ ༽つ GIFF 2GD つ ◕_◕ ༽つつ ◕_◕ ༽つ GIFF 2GD つ ◕_◕ ༽つつ ◕_◕ ༽つ GIFF 2GD つ ◕_◕ ༽つつ ◕_◕ ༽つ GIFF 2GD つ ◕_◕ ༽つつ ◕_◕ ༽つ GIFF 2GD つ ◕_◕ ༽つつ ◕_◕ ༽つ

James is an ***
cheeky.gif
James is an ***
cheeky.gif
James is an ***
cheeky.gif
James is an ***
cheeky.gif
James is an ***
cheeky.gif

DrPizza

Banned
So he just couldn't stop with the sex jokes, even after being told to stop on day 1.

This all sounds like it was super avoidable.

Also I flat out don't buy his "I did lots of preparation but I thought the best way to learn about the meta was to do it on camera". There are ways of explaining stuff on camera like has been done on newbie streams in the past, but 2gd just straight up like he didn't know about the game or the teams. This sounds like an excuse for his lack of preparation.

It's a bit of a shame though as I felt the whiteboard stuff actually worked pretty well as a discussion point.

Just read the statement and god damn.

I can't really blame James here, if IceFrog (the goddamn dude who made DotA into what it is now) gave the okay for James to be himself and only for James to get fired for it, really speaks of how far Gaben is detached from the Dota community, really sad to see. On top of that, all these TI's and Valve isn't even paying their damn casters/hosts, the fuck?

DrPizza

Banned

I can't really blame James here, if IceFrog (the goddamn dude who made DotA into what it is now) gave the okay for James to be himself and only for James to get fired for it, really speaks of how far Gaben is detached from the Dota community, really sad to see. On top of that, all these TI's and Valve isn't even paying their damn casters/hosts, the fuck?

Even after Bruno told him to cut it out after the first day? Meh. 2gd should have kept it clean.

It does sound like there was some history/bad blood that made things worse than they should have been, but keeping all the sex stuff is just so fucking obvious.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist

He also told Icefrog he would come prepared, and to him that meant coming up with 3 whiteboard sketches and deciding to not read up on the meta so others would have to explain it to him live.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
time to dive into this 16 page post to see if james was right and gaben was left

my initial impression is that there was a huge disconnect within valve on how james was supposed to act--you got icefrog, bruno, "Ali," and apparently Gabe all with different expectations of how James is supposed to host so ofc we get a train wreck--all goes back to Valve's (pseudo? it's obvious Gabe has the final and most important say in things) corporate democracy i guess

the former two devs seem OK with and expected the crass and savage 2gd everyone knows and the latter two are obviously not fans

No more majors with 2 Good

Please baby no more majors with 2 Good

you probably got your wish, a shame in my book. the majors were a golden opportunity to just provide something a little different everytime--redeye for TI, chobra for a major, maybe sheever for one (topkek), and then the occasional yames clown fiesta--keep things fresh and a little taste of every one of those 31 flavors

Wok

well that wasn't worth 16 pages.

Let us try an automatized summary (1 sentence per page):

Who the hell thought it was a good idea to do an almost 2 hour introduction with maybe 6 assets total.

Unknowingly because at the time I didn't know how much he did or what he was responsible for, I didn't know at the time how involved he was, and today I still do not know.

You write emails asking for me to be fired day 1 for having a whiteboard on your tournament, sure and maybe more.

I have done nothing here I haven't done before with the Dota2 community and they were enjoying it, maybe you are slightly disconnected from your own community? If you wanted something different don't hire me or tell me in advance what performance I am meant to give.

I personally don't know you that well or how good you are at your job outside of what I see.

Then maybe someone said 'nope' that's not what I want.

I personally think you are nice, but I don't know you that well.

Best of luck to all the teams, Sheever and Kotl for taking over the hosting roll Bruno If I got you in trouble because I know you well.

If you get fired I will go ham! But because I know maybe too much about one person's personal opinion of me.

A hopefully awesome fps game called Diabotical! Will it be on Steam? I guess I mean I'm sure it will be right? One Thing I know it will be is community focused, and we as a company will be in touch with our audience.

Maybe some game developers still don't get it.

Those who I've helped along the way in esports, and know me the best.

I know I threw out a lot of information that hopefully attributes to my off camera character and non ass personality.

7.50pm China - Also on a side note, I know I was told to be myself.

Tv/dotamajor 7.54pm China - I maybe shouldn't of talked about how sometimes, employees can get affected by status, wage, treatment.

It's how I feel Ali got offended so much at me? like a hurt ego? But I still don't know what is true here.

Well my 2 cents from the other thread:
I think James was the only good host that Dota2 had, which says much about the current state of Dota hosting/casting. Because he is definetly an ass. Just because you are told to "be yourself" doesn't mean you can say whatever you want. What was James even thinking with these jokes? Valve wants to market Dota2 as a sports, for people 12years+ and James of all people should know this. Also you can't shit on players that much. He had "EternalEnvy" on the "negative" side of Team Secret, while a fun joke for the community it puts the players under pressure, especially people like Envy who tend to tilt.

But Valve also handled this very bad and unprofessional.

Both sides acted stupid and this whole Major is a huge mess.

What Valve should do moving forward if they want to market Dota2 big as a sport:

Hire a good host, put him under contract, pay him much and let him study Dota 8 hours a day until the next Major to get basic knowledge about the game. This is now your Host for all Events going forward. INVEST MONEY.
Fire half of the casters and only keep the good ones. INVEST IN THEM. Teach them casting on a professional level. Hire new Casters so they are ready for TI6.
So, bottom line: INVEST MONEY into your professional Dota Valve. 1 Million+ doesn't hurt you and will do wonders for the professionalism of future Dota Events. You can't keep hiring community people and somehow think they will host/cast on a pofessional/TV level.

edit: Also people taking James statement as the absolute truth now is kinda strange... there are definetly two sides to this story.

BHK3

Banned
totally team james right now, valve fucked up and I dont see why James would burn this bridge if those payment stories are false. Hes giving us a bigger picture of what valve was like behind the scenes. ICEFROG, repeat, ICE FUCKING FROG THE ENIGMA HIMSELF gaves james the go ahead, yet gabe fired him, through his own best friend. The power struggle here is like zeus vs. hades type of shit right now, I cant even imagine it. Gaben himself either not knowing or going against icefrogs wishes, like WUT. There has to be some fallout from this, especially about apparently if it wasnt for james no one was gonna get fucking paid at TI2.

also LOL

DrPizza

Banned
tbqh, that's the most suspect shit I've ever heard of.

I'm hearing some slightly different interpretations of the signature thing that make it sound like it perhaps wasn't QUITE as bad as 2gd makes out (a per diem amount plus a percentage of signature sales), but still pretty strange. Feelings seem to be more that Valve was stupid/misguided than trying to be evil or anything. idk.

Still, I can't imagine they tried to pull that stunt with Kaci, and if they wouldn't do it to her, why would they do it to anyone else?

70% of James' post had nothing to do with the matter at hand. Can't say I'm convinced.
Yeaaaah, I wanted to hear his justification for the segment right before he was fired where he supposedly didn't respond to the director to go to a break. You really can't make an executive decision and hold a broadcast hostage like that, especially if he's already on thin ice. Being off-color is one thing, but hijacking production is another.
Edit: I wonder with whom he was supposed to share his room.
Bruno, of course. It was clearly going to be a bromantic reunion surprise but James ruined it.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
what does Valve have to do for people to question them/hold them to account?

steam mods, diretide, and this fiasco

People criticize them and hold them accountable all the time but in the end like ppd said, they are the all powerful overlords when it comes to their respective games. Doesn't stop a massive wave of public outcry and some bad press when people are unhappy though.

Quesa

Hm. I can't help but feel like James is diverting blame from himself in the "nicest" way possible. I'm not entirely sure how I feel about the whole thing.

That said, the paid in signatures thing, if structured the way James said sounds awful.

Also hey tsunami wanna play in my SFV tourney

Wok

Twist: Ali is IceFrog. I want to believe!

Though there was more feedback. This time from my arch enemy Ali! *DUM DUUUM DUUUM* Who is Ali? Well I can explain our interactions later. But let's just say his feedback was somewhat in the line of this.

I repeat… why am i watching someone use a whiteboard on a 3 million dollar tournament!?!?!?

Basically he is like fire this guy! Oh Ali… Yes my whiteboard is the problem. I am so sorry for cheapening your so far amazing event. My bad.

We have had issues with James at previous events. Now this gets juicy. and we can start to reintroduce our Villain. It’s not Gabe. It’s Ali and his whispers. (Ok, I’m over selling this, maybe he's super nice. maybe i'm reading into the situation too much. you can decide)

I host TI2, Valves second international. I was hired as a host. I knew some about dota2 but not much. I turned up, No one at Valve had much of a vision of what the hosting would be like apart from Ali wanted sports broadcasting.

It’s how I feel Ali got offended so much at me? like a hurt ego? But I still don’t know what is true here. It’s just a gut feeling.

The last two bolded quotes make it obvious.

Syder

Yeaaaah, I wanted to hear his justification for the segment right before he was fired where he supposedly didn't respond to the director to go to a break. You really can't make an executive decision and hold a broadcast hostage like that, especially if he's already on thin ice. Being off-color is one thing, but hijacking production is another.
He hardly 'hijacked' it. It's not like he's Jimmy Kimmel and refused to let an ad break happen. The stream already felt amateur as fuck to viewers. If Valve want people to feel like they want Dota to be considered a proper ESport maybe they should make sure the production companies they hire can actually produce a show.

Acinixys

Dota is watched by millions of people and is clearly one of Valves most important properties next to CSGO

While I think it was a dick move to fire James IN THE MIDDLE OF THE DAY, I can respect their decision to want to keep their premier tournament family friendly and professional

Not everyone who watches the game is a 25 year old meme loving Redditor, so only catering to that demographic is very short sighted from Valves side

Hopefully this while shitstorm has shown them that they need to be more hands on and careful with their choices.

Hylian7

WTF did I just read? Why did he start talking about his Kickstarter for a Quake-like game?

Honestly after reading it, I still feel like Valve did the right thing here.

That said, if the bits about only being paid for the signatures and not being paid for a lot of things is true, then that is extremely fucked.

A lot of the statement came off as incoherent ramblings.

He hardly 'hijacked' it. It's not like he's Jimmy Kimmel and refused to let an ad break happen. The stream already felt amateur as fuck to viewers. If Valve want people to feel like they want Dota to be considered a proper ESport maybe they should make sure the production companies they hire can actually produce a show.
Obviously production should take the majority of the blame but we don't really know the surrounding circumstances. Maybe they needed to restart the stream to diagnose the pause issue or give new details to panelists who didn't have earpieces or maybe they were just being incompetent and wanted to stop working for a bit.

I didn't watch the VoD but apparently 2GD flippantly said that he understood the director the whole time after his battery was replaced which just sounds like throwing fuel onto the fire. With a language barrier already being an issue, I find it difficult to justify James's action there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom