• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT13| 6.86, our Pit Lord and savior

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also what is this significant financial burden to stop people playing Dota, but doesn't prohibit folks from buying ps4s and fightsticks?

A PC if you didn't have a keyboard and mouse as well as a decent monitor would cost you upwards of $800, probably more. Most families can justify owning a PS4 because of its versatility as a set top, and fight sticks can be gotten for much cheaper than the top of the line ones most pro's use. You also have to consider that for DotA 2 you need 4 friends with PC's and reliable internet connections to really get going, or you need to be social enough and active enough to find people you can play with.

Compare this to the FGC and to get started all you really need is 1 kid in the neighborhood to have a PS4 and SF. That means 5, 10, 20, 30+ kids can all practice against one another, and the barrier to entry is fairly minimal.

Look at these Census numbers for computer ownership in the US: https://www.census.gov/history/pdf/2013comp-internet.pdf

Less than half of households that are low income have high speed internet, and even among middle class families it's only about 67%. Black and Hispanic families were substantially less likely to own a computer, as well as have high speed internet.

Wok

w33 - arab (major winners)
miracle - arab (major winners)
sumail - pakistani (TI winners)
universe - indian (TI winners)

it's about time u ppl realized that we middle easterners have the greatest dota genes

every top team needs AT LEAST one of us

Pakistan and India are neither Middle East, nor Arabic countries. So the argument falls flat.

Arab2.png

I don't know where you got that map, not a chance in hell Morocco is in the middle east

Edit: It is a map of Arabic countries.

And in the case of w33 and Miracle, only the father is of Arabic ascent.

In the end, the recipe is: pick a player with an Arabic father, or pick a player from Asia.

yarden24

Pakistan and India are neither Middle East, nor Arabic countries. So the argument falls flat.

And in the case of w33 and Miracle, only the father is of Arabic ascent.

In the end, the recipe is: pick a player with an Arabic father, or pick a player from Asia.

Wait Israel isn't in the Middle East on that map. Does fly count?

Ultrabum

A PC if you didn't have a keyboard and mouse as well as a decent monitor would cost you upwards of $800, probably more. Most families can justify owning a PS4 because of its versatility as a set top, and fight sticks can be gotten for much cheaper than the top of the line ones most pro's use. You also have to consider that for DotA 2 you need 4 friends with PC's and reliable internet connections to really get going, or you need to be social enough and active enough to find people you can play with.

Compare this to the FGC and to get started all you really need is 1 kid in the neighborhood to have a PS4 and SF. That means 5, 10, 20, 30+ kids can all practice against one another, and the barrier to entry is fairly minimal.

Look at these Census numbers for computer ownership in the US: https://www.census.gov/history/pdf/2013comp-internet.pdf

Less than half of households that are low income have high speed internet, and even among middle class families it's only about 67%. Black and Hispanic families were substantially less likely to own a computer, as well as have high speed internet.

Damn son, what a post backed up with data.

BHK3

Banned

Wasn't it Dieminion or someone else higher up in the FGC didn't even have a 360 of his own to play SFIV on?

Do you think if Lan cafes were still a thing in America we would get more diversity?

marrec

Banned
You'd have to have the Lan cafe's in the right neighborhoods, but it wouldn't hurt. If Valve were worried about (NA) diversity in their fancy esport there's a lot they could do to help encourage US minority participation but I bet they don't give a shit at worst and haven't thought about it at best.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
pakistani people aren't arab...............................i know their language uses the arabic alphabet but still....and it's south asian not middle eastern (wait)

G.ZZZ

He's more or less the same skintone of people who live at that parallel. He's also growing up good me thinks. Too bad he seems to be stagnating as a dota player. Biology is a thing hello Kappa
"Black" make sense as a construct only in a place where the majority of the population has a steeply diverse skin tone from a minority which is then dubbed as "black", but Sumail is just a Pakistani which is darker than europeans and lighter than southern indians and most africans. Southern americans living on the andes are an interesting exception because they settled relatively late , so too early in evolutionary terms to re-develop darker skin.

Russ T

Banned
what is biology tho

(in a perfect world, "black", "white", "etc" wouldn't even exist as race descriptors, because no one would give a shit - but this isn't a perfect world and "black" does mean a very specific skin tone, or to be more accurate, place of origin - it also, as a result, has developed to have more meaning in terms of culture and communities, and etc, so i don't think it's unfair to say "sumail isn't black", because he is, in fact, different from what the western world thinks of when someone uses "black" to describe a person - i mean you basically acknowledged this in your first thirty or so words, but i think most people here are talking from a western perspective? at the very least, this is a very western-dominated forum community)

(that's a whole lot of words for something i don't actually like 'cause i think race is a bullshit social construct, but hey)

J Jizzle

I'm finally jumping into my calibration matches for solo MM!

I pretty much play support on nearly all the games I play as no one else does it but I'm hoping it won't hurt my initial MMR too much.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
can we put shugganus and impthedimp in a special pit and make them fight with knives for our entertainment

kionedrik

I'm finally jumping into my calibration matches for solo MM!

I pretty much play support on nearly all the games I play as no one else does it but I'm hoping it won't hurt my initial MMR too much.

You can more or less guess where you'll calibrate by checking the dotabuff description of your current games.

Normal: < 3k
High: > 3k & < 3k7
Very High: > 3k7

can we put shugganus and impthedimp in a special pit and make them fight with knives for our entertainment

only if the knives are memes and you have over 4k of them.

J Jizzle

You can more or less guess where you'll calibrate by checking the dotabuff description of your current games.

Normal: < 3k
High: > 3k & < 3k7
Very High: > 3k7

I've only been in one high game so far, all others are normal. Guess I'm going to hit below the 3k mark then!

I've played two ranked solo games so far and the highest mmr people in both were around 3.4k. I'm not even sure if that means anything to be honest!

kionedrik

I've only been in one high game so far, all others are normal. Guess I'm going to hit below the 3k mark then!

I've played two ranked solo games so far and the highest mmr people in both were around 3.4k. I'm not even sure if that means anything to be honest!

In the 2k-5k region all players MMR in any given game are always pretty close, due to the large pool of players. So if you had someone with 3k4 MMR, your MMR will also be close to that.

Don't take the values I wrote too seriously, they are from some time ago and as far as I noticed they tend to be somewhat variable.

D

Deleted member 77995

Unconfirmed Member

High skill according to Dotabuff starts at 3.2k.

J Jizzle

Ok thanks for the info all.

My first two games were winners, went witch doctor on both and the carries farmed well throughout. My second game got pretty close but one bad siege for the other side and we turned it around.

I'd like to pull out my Warlock at some point as I have a high winrate for him (89% over 19 games) but I'm not sure he would have the same impact in ranked compared to pubs.

mmm...love me some xiao8...hope he dumps the wifey and plays dota forever...hes good.

She dumped him around ti

My first two games were winners, went witch doctor on both and the carries farmed well throughout. My second game got pretty close but one bad siege for the other side and we turned it around.

I'd like to pull out my Warlock at some point as I have a high winrate for him (89% over 19 games) but I'm not sure he would have the same impact in ranked compared to pubs.

Pick lion if you are familiar with playing him. Great support this patch.

Eleuin

Its pretty clear your mmr is not actually the number you're given if its too low for your liking

You should be able to try and try and try until you get one you like

Ranked is still pubs, only difference is people get more whiny and impossible to work with, sounds lovely I know. Feel free to pick your fave heroes.

73V3N

Banned
playing ranked, got 4 peruvians on my team, last pick is wk (with AM and KoTL on the other team)
buys iron talon,goes jungle and skips bkb till like minute 50.
dives over and over again thinking he will come back to life but ofc he doesn't since he never has mana for it.
after every death he proceeds to type "WTF :V" or "lagggg" in all chat :)

getting 42% winrate peruvians on my team every time i have a 5+ wins streak is so much fun :)
:)

playing ranked, got 4 peruvians on my team, last pick is wk (with AM and KoTL on the other team)
buys iron talon,goes jungle and skips bkb till like minute 50.
dives over and over again thinking he will come back to life but ofc he doesn't since he never has mana for it.
after every death he proceeds to type "WTF :V" or "lagggg" in all chat :)

getting 42% winrate peruvians on my team every time i have a 5+ wins streak is so much fun :)
:)
Is there a Dotabuff to this story? My gut tells me you're not quite telling the whole story.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom