• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT13| 6.86, our Pit Lord and savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

inkls

why would they garbage bin a popular hero with many stans? the playerbase is only just recovering from the tyranny of storm spirit, which drove away players in record numbers.

Why do you answer your own questions?

Drastic measures must be enabled before its becomes a fiery supernova of ebola grown from the small fire ball of aids it is now

sigh do I really have to defend poonix now because of the semi-ironic Allahder Titan praise earlier

you know what, fuck it, I went off as that shit pidgeon once and it was KIND OF enjoyable, fuck the haters, sun ray should minibash

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Drastic measures must be enabled before its becomes a fiery supernova of ebola grown from the small fire ball of aids it is now

Svv6D3J.gif
the heights of poetry that phoenix inspires. icon.
Svv6D3J.gif

Spr_2g_160.png
Spr_2g_181.png
Spr_2g_065.png
Spr_2g_185.png
Spr_2g_068.png
Spr_2g_229.png

I finished Gold. I am probably not going to play Ruby for a while because I have no real nostalgia for it and I might as well pace the games out a bit.

Fuck you Game Freak for making Houndour Kanto-only.

I am somehow not surprised Sven only has a 36% winrate on main stage. People (ppd) keep picking him as a solo core and you don't do that.

Just caught up on finals, yay Team Secret! I'll be really impressed if they manage to also be the final boss of the Manilla Major. Seeing MVP, Liquid and CompLexity do so well was also pretty cool.

Kalnos

Banned
Why would the lack of a black caster 'irk' you? There is a lot of diversity in players, casting, and personalities in this scene. Pot stirring shit is old honestly

Russ T

Banned
i take back everything i said this thread is hell too

are you serious kalnos holy shit goddamnit fuck

i should go to bed

i'm going to bed

yarden24

Why would the lack of a black caster 'irk' you? There is a lot of diversity in players, casting, and personalities in this scene. Pot stirring shit is old honestly

its odd, admittedly only the US has a large black population from the bigger areas that play dota, but the fact there isn't a single black person in the US scene at all is puzzling

Quesa

I've got something in the wings that'll seem super timely to that exchange

I actually wrote like it a month ago

Kalnos

Banned
its odd, admittedly only the US has a large black population from the bigger areas that play dota, but the fact there isn't a single black person in the US scene at all is puzzling

There's WeedmanDota! I don't know anyone other than that but NA doesn't have a lot of pros.

manfestival

Drama alert

https://ask.fm/DotACapitalist/answers/134230658701

t6MgExE.png

https://twitter.com/WomanInDota/status/706699515957411841

hnwuZIl.png

Really sad that Capitalist would rather block these questions than actually answer them.
not trying to kick up a storm but I dont see how dota 2 is a racist game when there are peruvian teams, people like sumail, universe, the chinese teams, and much more out there. It just screams people trying to cause more drama in the current times since the US is on a drug high with racism.

I'm just disappointed that he didn't give the "I realize it's a problem and we've been working on it as a community, but I realize it's not enough and hopefully we can do more in the future" generic answer that trained PR people give. It's super easy and doesn't commit you to actually doing anything about discrimination, plus the worst thing you can do is act like it doesn't exist or isn't a problem because that just proves to people that there is an issue.

Spr_2g_160.png
Spr_2g_181.png
Spr_2g_065.png
Spr_2g_185.png
Spr_2g_068.png
Spr_2g_229.png

I finished Gold. I am probably not going to play Ruby for a while because I have no real nostalgia for it and I might as well pace the games out a bit.

Fuck you Game Freak for making Houndour Kanto-only.

I am somehow not surprised Sven only has a 36% winrate on main stage. People (ppd) keep picking him as a solo core and you don't do that.
if you have the option, play Emerald over Ruby. Really solid improvement pretty much across the board. Also recommend the Pokemon Throwback romhack over vanilla firered if you play through that and don't mind flashcarts/emulation.

Qvoth

New VG: Burning + cty + rotk + Kaka + ? (super retire + fy to VG.P)
New Ehome: old eleven + old chicken + iceiceice + LaNm + fenrir
New LGD: Agressif + Maybe + xz + xiao8 + mmy
Free agent/For sale: Sylar
Others:
-FY made the decision to move to VG.P himself, possibly to join with Zyf
-DDC retire

director8 is back? PogChamp

Hylian7

not trying to kick up a storm but I dont see how dota 2 is a racist game when there are peruvian teams, people like sumail, universe, the chinese teams, and much more out there. It just screams people trying to cause more drama in the current times since the US is on a drug high with racism.

No one is saying that Dota is "racist". They're just saying Dota could use more diversity, and it's disappointing that it doesn't. There isn't a single black person in the scene, caster or player, at least that has made it large. I don't know of any smaller ones if there are any.

We also need more women in the scene. We have casters/analysts in the community like Sheever and Prove, but yet we don't have a single female pro player.

manfestival

No one is saying that Dota is "racist". They're just saying Dota could use more diversity, and it's disappointing that it doesn't. There isn't a single black person in the scene, caster or player, at least that has made it large. I don't know of any smaller ones if there are any.

We also need more women in the scene. We have casters/analysts in the community like Sheever and Prove, but yet we don't have a single female pro player.

How do you suppose that people remedy this? Look on the leaderboards and ask people for their race/gender and invite them into these positions simply because of the fact that they are placed high and fill this "expectation"? Also I find it offensive that you don't know about weedman.

Was not expecting weedman to be mentioned in this thread of all places.
if you have the option, play Emerald over Ruby. Really solid improvement pretty much across the board. Also recommend the Pokemon Throwback romhack over vanilla firered if you play through that and don't mind flashcarts/emulation.
I'm trying to play every game in a rough order so no, Ruby is not an option. Emerald comes later.

Order is
Red > Gold > Ruby > Diamond > White > Y > Sun/Moon
Yellow > Crystal > Emerald > Platinum > White 2
LG > HG > OR

--

https://www.instagram.com/p/BCpDDUqEdP_/

Oh jesus.

Hylian7

I was about to post that. This whole major was a mess from beginning to end, really hope Valve take charge on these in the future, and it sounds like they will. At the very least, the China one probably won't be given much autonomy.

I'm curious where exactly all of this went wrong. The Frankfurt major went pretty well, and didn't have these problems, then suddenly China has almost every problem imaginable.

Shinypogs

* Glances at reshuffle rumours* China pls, put MMY and LaNm back together :(

I can honestly never tell if these new teams make sense in terms of personality and playstyle or it's just another attempt at " well what if we put these 5 together, will it work?"

Also I hope this new missing equipment/ practice room ransacking drama is resolved quickly. I can only imagine fucking everyone just wants to go home and unwind and having "one more thing" go wrong is slowly pushing them over the edge.

Russ T

Banned
How do you suppose that people remedy this? Look on the leaderboards and ask people for their race/gender and invite them into these positions simply because of the fact that they are placed high and fill this "expectation"? Also I find it offensive that you don't know about weedman.

For a start, the community should stop being dismissive. Stop being racist, sexist, homophobic. Stop reacting negatively to honest questions about representation.

Acting like the dota scene is perfect and would willingly welcome anyone with open arms is, well, dishonest at best.

Think about how many times you see a racist slur in game. Think about how shitty that is for a black person. Why would they even want to get involved with a community who seems to hate them? Same sit happens with every group that isn't straight white dude. Women are insulted, LGBT people are insulted, people of all colors (except white, unless they're Russian because that's okay for some reason) are insulted. It never ends.

I'm trying to play every game in a rough order so no, Ruby is not an option. Emerald comes later.

Order is
LG > HG > OR

--

Oh jesus.
That sounds horribly tedious, honestly.
I don't understand how that was your take from that. Less severe, not a total false positive.
For a start, the community should stop being dismissive. Stop being racist, sexist, homophobic. Stop reacting negatively to honest questions about representation.

Acting like the dota scene is perfect and would willingly welcome anyone with open arms is, well, dishonest at best.
I propose no longer spamming emotes every time someone who isn't white is shown on stream.

manfestival

Think about how many times you see a racist slur in game. Think about how shitty that is for a black person. Why would they even want to get involved with a community who seems to hate them? Same sit happens with every group that isn't straight white dude. Women are insulted, LGBT people are insulted, people of all colors (except white, unless they're Russian because that's okay for some reason) are insulted. It never ends.

I was hoping for more of an actual resolution(well at least attempt at suggesting one) than wishful thinking tbh.

manfestival

I just can't imagine that it will ever be resolved with the way the game is ran but they can crack down and come up with a system like the tribunal in league? That might be a move in the direction you are looking for. It is till pretty much wishful thinking. They could also remove voice chat lol. Just being real man, don't take it the wrong way.

Hylian7

Very well put. This exactly.

I've posted this before, but have you seen the things WomanInDota gets in her games? https://twitter.com/womanindota

Many people like to blame the "Peruvians", the "Russians", or whatever country is the flavor of the month to blame for their losses, and that's extremely racist. I've had games where people have gone on tirades against whatever teammate throwing out racial slurs all over the place. I get that language barriers can be frustrating, but Dota has a billion ways around that. You can play with a language barrier, just because you and your teammates don't speak the same language doesn't mean that "matchmaking is screwing you over by matching you with the Peruvians".

Valve have made significant strides with in-game communication that often go unappreciated. Remember playing before the chat wheel even existed, and there was no Alt+Clicking, only pings? Remember when Alt+Clicking functionality was constantly being updated to bring in more functionality, and was still even updated recently? If I'm not mistaken, I think it was recently added to where you can Alt+Click the XP bar or enemy level to state what level the enemy is, or how much XP you need to a critical level (usually 6). You can pretty much Alt+Click anything on the screen to tell your teammates useful information about it.

Assuming latency wasn't an issue, I could probably queue into the Russia server, not use voice or text chat, and play with my teammates just fine and they would have no idea I don't understand their language.

I just can't imagine that it will ever be resolved with the way the game is ran but they can crack down and come up with a system like the tribunal in league? That might be a move in the direction you are looking for. It is till pretty much wishful thinking. They could also remove voice chat lol. Just being real man, don't take it the wrong way.

You're really missing the point. Valve can't just go:

Patch 6.87

* Added diversity in playerbase
* Lowered Vacuum CD by 0.1 seconds

and have that actually work. This is something the community and Valve as a whole have to work for. Dota needs to be a welcoming environment, having more diversity in casters/panelists/players, etc would really help with that. The community needs to be more accepting of these things.

And believe it or not, Valve have made efforts in-game to do this. Obviously the report system works pretty damn well, and doesn't require any kind of LoL-esque tribunal. I'm not usually for automating stuff like that, but the way Valve have implemented it, it works really well. Granted I hope that didn't go too much to their head and try to automate everything (I'm looking at you Steam Greenlight). The methods for getting around language barriers I mentioned above are great for letting more people across the world play Dota together.

Russ T

Banned

I mean it starts with a single person. Instead of defending James for being homophobic, we should be glad he can't do that at valve events anymore. Instead of letting your friends say offensive shit, call them out on it.

There is no easy solution. This is a problem that can only be solved gradually, with effort and dedication.

manfestival

You're really missing the point. Valve can't just go:

and have that actually work. This is something the community and Valve as a whole have to work for. Dota needs to be a welcoming environment, having more diversity in casters/panelists/players, etc would really help with that. The community needs to be more accepting of these things.

And believe it or not, Valve have made efforts in-game to do this. Obviously the report system works pretty damn well, and doesn't require any kind of LoL-esque tribunal. I'm not usually for automating stuff like that, but the way Valve have implemented it, it works really well. Granted I hope that didn't go too much to their head and try to automate everything (I'm looking at you Steam Greenlight). The methods for getting around language barriers I mentioned above are great for letting more people across the world play Dota together.
Not missing the point, the thing is that I see more discussion and complaining rather than thinking of ways to actually improve the community and game. I am pretty sure that we have all been there and done that. I have had some of the racism go my way a few times in the past during games. Simply because of my username in the game. I am aware the game is in a much better state than it was previously but if anything... riots system is far more effective.
I mean it starts with a single person. Instead of defending James for being homophobic, we should be glad he can't do that at valve events anymore. Instead of letting your friends say offensive shit, call them out on it.

There is no easy solution. This is a problem that can only be solved gradually, with effort and dedication.
That's asking for something that goes far beyond the reaches of dota 2. I mean the main thing that started this whole thing is wanting more diversity in the staffing of events and the scene. Let's not go into a whole conversation on why prejudice is obviously bad. James being gone to me was a guy getting fired because his boss didn't want him around anymore. Even if it wasn't so obvious, the community would've been riled up but that's another thing in itself.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist

Order is
LG > HG > OR

--

Oh jesus.
Shouldn't you play White 2 be after White? Or are you just slotting it into where the old "Definitive Version" would be (I wonder why Nintendo stopped making those)

Also, I don't really recall ever seeing any racial slurs against black people at all while playing Dota. Tons of Homophobic and Xenophobic stuff, but honestly not so much racist stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom